Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

What I've Noticed About Young Nigerian Tiktok Tech Stars - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What I've Noticed About Young Nigerian Tiktok Tech Stars (706 Views)

Who Noticed Changes On Nairaland Design??? / To All The Programmers In The House, I've Got A Question, Please Don't Ignore � / Check Out What I've Done With Laravel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I've Noticed About Young Nigerian Tiktok Tech Stars by davien(m): 6:44pm On Oct 13, 2022
This isn't to slander anyone as I believe we have some of the best programmers/coders out there but I've noticed a few things on web development nigerian tiktoks like:

1. The copy-paste coders ; I'll see a cool css trick on YouTube and go on TikTok to see the same code, line by line with no variation and the person will say it's theirs and they're looking for a job.

Truthfully nobody knows everything and programming is a communal effort but it won't be hard to give a shout-out to where you saw that code and add a spin on it or try to reverse it into something unique.

Examples of this code are ;

CSS Frost Glass effect for login menu
Todo app with neutronic effect
Blinking typing animation
Etc.

It's cool Nigerians are interested in responsive designs but I don't want a situation where huge number of Nigerians apply to foreign jobs and fail to deliver on their said CSS skills. People who say CSS is easy haven't used it to replicate what frameworks do from scratch, na there you go know say you gats think well on what selector or pseudo-class to implement.

2. The flashy tech bro ; Again, no hate or anything but I see flashy LEDs blinking in a dark room and some guy saying what I've heard or writing the same app I've seen over and over, "here's a reddit clone", "here's a jumia clone", "here's a nice theme". Some you can tell know what they're talking about but personally I suspect some just want to sell courses. Marketing yourself is great but atleast have the skills to back it up.
3. The advice gurus who don't code ; Tech is a large field with many niches people can squeeze into if they're dedicated and have a skill valuable enough to get into a company. This category extends even outside of Nigeria as you'll see "a day in the life of a developer" where the person is doing everything else but opening a laptop to code, these ones are pure marketers.
4. The gurus who actually do code ; These ones will most likely not wear flashy clothes, will tell you as it is that it's not all rainbows and sunshine and actually give real life challenges they face when coding, like burnout and the psychological effects of living life behind a screen for the majority of the day, they tell you the pros and cons of technologies and don't hop on "this tech is the absolute best" ideas. They are eager to help people most of the time or direct you to resources you need to know.

5. The I know 5 languages and coding is easy ; Do people know 5 languages? Absolutely, for frontend you'd need to know almost up to 5(HTML,CSS, JAVASCRIPT,REACT/ANGULAR,TYPESCRIPT, etc) but it's the empty vessels that make the loudest noise. There are geniuses who brag but they more than likely brag to fellow coders at work, not online.

Everyone isn't purely these stereotypes but I've noticed people falling into this category in naija tech space.

Lol, this was an interesting write-up, do you agree with these points or noticed anything also in Nigerian tech?

3 Likes

Re: What I've Noticed About Young Nigerian Tiktok Tech Stars by Maxxim: 7:08pm On Oct 13, 2022
My preference are the no4
You see those ones calling themselves tech bro abi one stupid name, I don't think most of em will go far cos they only see it as trend.

5 Likes

Re: What I've Noticed About Young Nigerian Tiktok Tech Stars by MikeyOz: 7:36pm On Oct 13, 2022
Blanche quite observant cheesy
Re: What I've Noticed About Young Nigerian Tiktok Tech Stars by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 13, 2022
They are there making money

You Mr Woke, you're here making noise
Re: What I've Noticed About Young Nigerian Tiktok Tech Stars by davien(m): 8:18pm On Oct 13, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
They are there making money

You Mr Woke, you're here making noise
Lol. Never claimed to be woke. Just saying my observations. Also getting into tech and learning. I'll take my time and hopefully build a unique portfolio.

Though an advice I'll give you is to watch your social media comments when going into tech, they can scrape your info and anything not inclusive of LGBTQ+ will be used against you in tech.

4 Likes

Re: What I've Noticed About Young Nigerian Tiktok Tech Stars by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 13, 2022
davien:
Lol. Never claimed to be woke. Just saying my observations. Also getting into tech and learning. I'll take my time and hopefully build a unique portfolio.

Though an advice I'll give you is to watch your social media comments when going into tech, they can scrape your info and anything not inclusive of LGBTQ+ will be used against you in tech.

That's why we have disposable accounts angry

This is Nigeria btw

We have no business with the LGBTQ community

1 Like

Re: What I've Noticed About Young Nigerian Tiktok Tech Stars by RepoMan007: 6:20pm On Oct 14, 2022
Knowledge can be tricky to guage especially when benchmarks are vague.
Re: What I've Noticed About Young Nigerian Tiktok Tech Stars by Nobody: 11:09pm On Oct 14, 2022
Had no idea there were even Nigerian coders on TikTok.

(1) (Reply)

ALX Will Start Charging 400$ Acceptance Fee. / I Just Learn A New Thing About Learning Programming Today . / Asp/vb.net Image

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.