Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,399 members, 7,812,173 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

My Yam Farm Diary. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Yam Farm Diary. (3142 Views)

My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) / The Puff Adder My Workers Killed On My Yam Farm (Pictures) / My Last Harvest From My Yam Farm. Govt, We Need Loan In The South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Adeoye007(m): 9:00am On Jan 12, 2023
Emempaul:

Sir even at 350 per 1 is costly for yam seeds. The person you bought your seeds from reaped you off. Please next time 150 or worst case 180 per seed yam is ok nothing more nothing less.

Secondly grow your own yam seeds yourself using mini sett technology. Use YouTube as your guide. You see alot of helpful videos there to guide you through so that no one reaps you off again.
please when is the best time to start seed yam production.
Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Emempaul(m): 6:29pm On Jan 12, 2023
Adeoye007:
please when is the best time to start seed yam production.
when the rains start

1 Like

Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Godspikin: 4:15pm On Aug 12, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
Next...I break the yam seed, deep the seed inside insecticide then planted it yesterday. Once the yam sprout out, I will do first weeding then use the unwanted plant to do mulching.

Which insecticide please?
Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Emempaul(m): 11:29pm On Oct 27, 2023
Chairman how far with your mom yam project can we see pictures of your harvest
Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 5:34pm On Oct 28, 2023
Emempaul:
Chairman how far with your mom yam project can we see pictures of your harvest
the farm is far from my vegetable farm, so I don't have time to go there because of vegetables workload. I only send my boys to do weeding there once in a month, am told yam leaves has dried all, cocoyam and cassava intercrop with is fine too. Am yet to harvest a single heap! Am doing the next in my vegetable area so I can update it regularly.

1 Like

Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Emempaul(m): 6:33pm On Oct 28, 2023
Ok good job. Please keep us posted with pictures of your harvest so that I can learn from my mistakes
Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by safarifarms(m): 1:41am On Nov 20, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
the farm is far from my vegetable farm, so I don't have time to go there because of vegetables workload. I only send my boys to do weeding there once in a month, am told yam leaves has dried all, cocoyam and cassava intercrop with is fine too. Am yet to harvest a single heap! Am doing the next in my vegetable area so I can update it regularly.
I'm interested in this update too.
Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Konquest: 5:56pm On Jan 13
Farmerakinloye6:
Finally bought my yam seed at 17k for just fifty. Hopefully, I will plant it by Saturday.
Bump.
Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Konquest: 6:00pm On Jan 13
Farmerakinloye6:
I will be doing just 200 stand. Am planting it basically because of my mother and spouse both of them love pounded yam. Am posting it so that farmer to be will know stress it entails! I don't see myself cultivating yam commercially, it is too expensive grow and little return at the end of 8-7month. I paid 5k to labourer that help me brush the forest...
Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Konquest: 6:02pm On Jan 13
Farmerakinloye6:
One of the yam that motivate me this year, out of fifteen stand I planted, three are like this. This particular one stress me grin I had to call other farmer to help me.
Wow! That yam is really long and huge.
Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Konquest: 6:08pm On Jan 13
Emempaul:

Sir even at 350 per 1 is costly for yam seeds. The person you bought your seeds from reaped you off. Please next time 150 or worst case 180 per seed yam is ok nothing more nothing less.

Secondly grow your own yam seeds yourself using mini sett technology. Use YouTube as your guide. You see alot of helpful videos there to guide you through so that no one reaps you off again.
Insightful.
Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Konquest: 6:09pm On Jan 13
Emempaul:

No it's not fair. Normally seed yams are heaped in 100's that is 1hand= 100 pieces of small but whole yam seeds set aside for planting. At this period that is December to January it is usually cheaper to get but from February you start getting ridiculous price.

At this period whole sett seed yams should go for between 20 to 25k per hand while cut pieces go for 15 to 20k per hand. At this period whole sett seed yams are common and whether e carry multiple tubers or not. It is usually the job of the seller to separate multiple tubers

I stand by the fact that he was reaped off
Impressive.
Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 5:05pm On Feb 13
Emempaul:
Ok good job. Please keep us posted with pictures of your harvest so that I can learn from my mistakes
I couldn't finish the thread last year because I was super busy with tomato farm, and the yam farm is far. I was just sending boys to do the weeding. The yam farm serve it purpose, give my mum, family and dash out during the festival period. The yam still remains 😅😅😅😅..

4 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 5:12pm On Feb 13
This will be like continuation. The land clearing and heaping was done by December, and I planted it this January, did mulching this month (February) this particular one is my vegetable farm so no excuse for delay update. Step by step progress will be update. Have started video about it on my channel, I also created playlist for it, so viewers can enjoy each step.

1 Like

Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:02pm On Mar 09
The yam begins to sprout, I also planted pepper 🫑 this morning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 7:31pm On Mar 09
Impressive
Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by HolyMalaam: 10:16pm On Apr 27
Your contact please
Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 10:56am On Apr 28
Remain like 14 yam heaps yet to germinate. I have stake yam that is ready, one baboo for two heap. Pepper is growing too. I also plant cocoyam for one side.

1 Like

Re: My Yam Farm Diary. by Kehfie(f): 1:43pm On Apr 28
Following Boss. Good job

(1) (2) (Reply)

Grasscutter Colony, Tranporting cage and Trap cage For #65000 in Port Harcourt / Bags Of Unpeeled Melon For Sale / Poultry Feed(breedwell Feeds)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.