Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,323 members, 7,819,103 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) (38514 Views)

Amazing Output From My Yam-in-sack Farming (pictures) / The Puff Adder My Workers Killed On My Yam Farm (Pictures) / My Last Harvest From My Yam Farm. Govt, We Need Loan In The South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by micellgevity: 4:45pm On Apr 19, 2022
My vertical yam farm.
1st pix- When I was mixing soil with manure.

2nd pix- When I was transplanting from the nursery.

This is just a practical of vertical yam farm in my compound as I have 2,200 heaps of yam at farm that I planted almost the same time with this. Those ones have not sprouted as they didn't enjoy watering as I water these at home.

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by NwaNimo1(m): 4:46pm On Apr 19, 2022

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by dasparrow: 4:50pm On Apr 19, 2022
Way to go! This is what I call self sustenance. Here in the abroad, food shortages are coming. It has been announced. Those of you that can farm, hunger will not know your address. Kudos!

91 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by SmartProf(m): 4:53pm On Apr 19, 2022
Very commendable...to think Buhari referred to Nigerian youths as lazy is very provoking.
Please prevent all types of goats from that site especially 'she-goats' (slay queens) from eating ur money when u cash out.

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by Ever8090: 4:56pm On Apr 19, 2022
I like this concept, pls do update us during harvest lets see how it went..

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by Kindness22(f): 4:56pm On Apr 19, 2022
Nice

2 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by micellgevity: 4:59pm On Apr 19, 2022
Okay. By the way I started around January. I was just watering it like once in a week until rain takes over.
This is more like an update. See the link to when I started. https://www.nairaland.com/6927505/vertical-yam-farming-diary

3 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by lwisee: 4:59pm On Apr 19, 2022
Hmm

Why not dig the ground and plant the yam since you are placing the bags on the ground.

Overall, nice idea.

5 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by Sunmolar(m): 5:01pm On Apr 19, 2022
Well done. Pls teach us how...your manure source, procedures etc.

Is it too late to start for this season.

3 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by MindHacker9009(m): 5:03pm On Apr 19, 2022
Flesh and blood did not teach you this wisdom to plant yam. The wisdom must have come from above. Kudos

16 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by micellgevity: 5:04pm On Apr 19, 2022
lwisee:
Hmm

Why not did the ground and plant the yam since you are placing the bags on the ground.

Overall, nice idea.
It was in January during the dry season. If I planted directly on the ground, the water I was using to wet it would be sinking and that would be a waste.

32 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by micellgevity: 5:11pm On Apr 19, 2022
Sunmolar:
Well done. Pls teach us how...your manure source, procedures etc.

Is it too late to start for this season.
It is not too late. As a matter of fact, they plant yam twice in a year. One around January/February. These are the ones harvested around August/September. The second ones are planted around April/May, these ones are harvested around December/January. But the ones planted in January/February will never sprout for lack of rain until around April when rain begins. The benefit is that it would have been ready to sprout upon getting any little rain. Though, this I planted at home is getting water once in a week, unlike the ones planted in farm, that is why you can see it sprouting now with leaves. The ones in farm will just start sprouting without leaves around this period.
My source of manure is sound from refuse dump+ my rabbit faeces.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by Sunmolar(m): 5:13pm On Apr 19, 2022
micellgevity:
It is not too late. As a matter of fact, they plant yam twice in a year. One around January/February. These are the ones harvested around August/September. The second ones are planted around April/May, these ones are harvested around December/January. But the ones planted in January/February will never sprout for lack of rain until around April when rain begins. The benefit is that it would have been ready to sprout upon getting any little rain. Though, this I planted at home is getting water once in a week, unlike the ones planted in farm, that is why you can see it sprouting now with leaves. The ones in farm will just start sprouting without leaves around this period.
My source of manure is sound from refuse dump+ my rabbit faeces.

Thanks for responding. But are you keeping them in bags till harvest time?

15 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by micellgevity: 5:21pm On Apr 19, 2022
Sunmolar:

Thanks for responding. But are you keeping them in bags till harvest time?
Yes

6 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by eshie(m): 5:28pm On Apr 19, 2022
Very nice.
Considering this option too. Do you think the bags may limit size or number of tubers? How many tubers are you expecting per bag?
micellgevity:
Yes

5 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by karzyharsky(m): 4:43am On Apr 20, 2022
Nice one

1 Like

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by Rhema04(m): 4:46am On Apr 20, 2022
I salute you

1 Like

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by PStacks(m): 4:47am On Apr 20, 2022
Sha no poison us with residue of cement

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by HitSong: 4:51am On Apr 20, 2022
I love farmer babes cool

1 Like

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by AkinboT22: 4:54am On Apr 20, 2022
You try

1 Like

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by AkinboT22: 4:54am On Apr 20, 2022
You try shocked

1 Like

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by phorget(m): 4:56am On Apr 20, 2022
I'm gonna do this at home...

5 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by Raph82(m): 5:02am On Apr 20, 2022
lwisee:
Hmm

Why not did the ground and plant the yam since you are placing the bags on the ground.

Overall, nice idea.
If he plants on the ground, the land will be tilled, and the number of stands that little space will contain will not be worth the energy and time put into this. Sack farming has its advantages.
- No competition among plants for soil nutrients, water, light etc. Each plant has its own space to thrive.
- It is easier to control weed and carry out other management practices such as mulching, manure or fertilizer application and so on in sack farming than planting on bare ground
- There's no limitation to farming with this method, as it is possible to farm even in urban centers, on concrete floor space and so on. You can't till the concrete floor of your compound to plant yam, but with sack farming, you are good to go.
- With sack farming within your neighbourhood, there's no fear of attack either by herdsmen or bandits, at this time that everyone is scared to go out into the bush to farm, this is your best bet.

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by Mindlog: 5:03am On Apr 20, 2022
Commendable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by jeff1607(m): 5:04am On Apr 20, 2022
PStacks:
Sha no poison us with residue of cement

Nigerians !

You just had to bring negativity

27 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by Bizsquad: 5:07am On Apr 20, 2022
Gd concept,i will just one bag at my balcony
Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by Raph82(m): 5:15am On Apr 20, 2022
jeff1607:

Nigerians !

You just had to bring negativity
That's how unreasonable Nigerians can be sometimes. while others see a half-filled cup of water as half full (positive mindset), we see it as half empty (negative mindset), the more reason we are where we are.

15 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by seandurse(m): 5:17am On Apr 20, 2022
We need an update on the harvesting period. Way to go

2 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by Mooh247: 5:20am On Apr 20, 2022
cool

Just got mine planted

4 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by candidbabe(f): 5:24am On Apr 20, 2022
Nawaaaa oooooo
I never knew yams can be planted in a sack

3 Likes

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by adenine02: 5:38am On Apr 20, 2022
micellgevity:
My vertical yam farm.
1st pix- When I was mixing soil with manure.

2nd pix- When I was transplanting from the nursery.

This is just a practical of vertical yam farm in my compound as I have 2,200 heaps of yam at farm that I planted almost the same time with this. Those ones have not sprouted as they didn't enjoy watering as I water these at home.

Please is there any way I can contact you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Yam Farm In Cement Bags (Pictures) by Lanre4uonly(m): 5:39am On Apr 20, 2022
Nice idea.
All the best OP.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Black Snake I Just Killed This Night While Searching For My He Goat / My Poultry Farm / Wonders Of Nature In My Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.