Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? (1285 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Meets Ramaphosa, Advisory Council Over South African Economy / Nigeria Has Taken Over South Africa As Africa Biggest Economy ~ BBC / Grazing: Miyetti Allah Expresses Shock Over South-East Governors' Decision (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 2:18am On Oct 15, 2022
Hi Nigerians!

I'm a South African news junkie.

I've noticed over the past few years that the BBC Africa News service has overwhelming Nigerian news and presenters, e.g. Focus on Africa.

But I've also noticed South African news and presenters have been moved to the main global news, BBC World News.

Have you noticed the same
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 2:26am On Oct 15, 2022
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 2:49am On Oct 15, 2022
Just today...

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by shiki(m): 2:50am On Oct 15, 2022
I’m looking for a radio channel in Lagos that can broadcast BBC Focus on Africa

1 Like

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 2:59am On Oct 15, 2022
shiki:

Download BBC Sounds app, no need for radio stations
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by shiki(m): 3:01am On Oct 15, 2022
Ok, thanks bro
WannaHowzit:

Download BBC Sounds app, no need for radio stations

2 Likes

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by Nobody: 3:02am On Oct 15, 2022
Nigeria gives more views.

Views is all they care about nothing else

If you want them to prioritise south Africa

Then you need to work on developing your crime rates and criminal activities just like Nigeria

33 Likes

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 3:05am On Oct 15, 2022
shiki:

I'll use the above case as an example of why BBC Africa is full of Nigeria News.

Coz Nigerians are eager for independent sources of news like the BBC. Your local news outlets are underperforming.

South Africa has a robust media space and doesn't depend on the BBC for anything.

Also Nigeria is still very rural and the BBC broadcasts through affiliates, like someone above just asked for a station in Lagos where he can catch the BBC.

In South Africa the BBC is competing with a multitude of other digital apps and streaming services, of which local broadcasters like ENCA, NEWS24 and SABC are dominating.

I had to tell you to download BBC Sounds, none of you knew that.

While at it download SABC NEWS APP - coz NTA doesn't have an app.

Me still waiting for NTA Live to play

3 Likes

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 3:15am On Oct 15, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
Nigeria gives more views.

Views is all they care about nothing else

If you want them to prioritise south Africa

Then you need to work on developing your crime rates and criminal activities just like Nigeria

Huh? Scratching my head.
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by LOLITAinLAGOS(f): 4:22am On Oct 15, 2022
shiki:

Wow
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 15, 2022
Alright
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by Wallade(m): 7:10am On Oct 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

I'll use the above case as an example of why BBC Africa is full of Nigeria News.

Coz Nigerians are eager for independent sources of news like the BBC. Your local news outlets are underperforming.

South Africa has a robust media space and doesn't depend on the BBC for anything.

Also Nigeria is still very rural and the BBC broadcasts through affiliates, like someone above just asked for a station in Lagos where he can catch the BBC.

In South Africa the BBC is competing with a multitude of other digital apps and streaming services, of which local broadcasters like ENCA, NEWS24 and SABC are dominating.

I am assuming the purpose of your article is despise Nigeria.

You probably need to ask BBC Africa the reason they have more Nigerian news than South African news on their platform.

I also must inform you that Nigeria has an equally robust media space. What has Nigeria being largely rural got to do with your argument?; that point is irrelevant to the discuss. It may shock you to know that even the largely rural people of Nigeria are well informed especially with the use of internet.

It may interest you to know that Nigeria has an urban population of about 111,505,415 million people while South Africa has an urban population of about 40,736,690 million people. Check with Google for more information.

Stop dwelling on NTA as a yardstick to measure Nigerian media. Use Channels TV, TVC, Arise TV, AIT and others; you can check them and their apps on google play store and ios app store for download. Attempt to use NTA to assess Nigerian media is tantamount to using one of the poorest TV stations in South Africa to assess your media.

We are not particular about BBC sounds; you probably needed it more than we do.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by Sukersoc: 7:43am On Oct 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

P

And when did Rural become a negative?

If I say you are a slave now, you'll spend the whole day defending your foolishness.
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by Chaos14: 9:19am On Oct 15, 2022
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by Chaos14: 9:28am On Oct 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

only sabc you mentioned is public owned. So you really don't have point here we have media companies even bigger than those private ones even regular bloggers are bigger than them cheesy

1 Like

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 12:16pm On Oct 15, 2022
Chaos14:

[b]only sabc you mentioned is public owned. [/b]So you really don't have point here we have media companies even bigger than those private ones even regular bloggers are bigger than them cheesy

Yes, SABC is a public broadcaster but beats your best broadcasters 10-0 hands down.

Imagine an African state broadcaster that looks like this shocked cool

1 Like

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 12:21pm On Oct 15, 2022
Meanwhile at NTA Nigeria...

"Africa's largest network" what what lie. grin

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by Chaos14: 12:27pm On Oct 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Yes, SABC is a public broadcaster but beats your best broadcasters 10-0 hands down.

Imagine an African state broadcaster that looks like this shocked cool

nigeria owns over 52 news stations but you keep talking about the first tv station in africa NTA
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 12:40pm On Oct 15, 2022
Chaos14:
nigeria owns over 52 news stations but you keep talking about the first tv station in africa NTA

Show me one that can even compete with SA's public broadcaster.

Once I start showing you SA private media like Supersport and ENCA you gonna kill yourself.

1 Like

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 12:42pm On Oct 15, 2022
Sukersoc:

And when did Rural become a negative?

If I say you are a slave now, you'll spend the whole day defending your foolishness.

Go ahead and let's see if it won't end in tears for you. Just try me, as an experiment gone wrong.
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 12:43pm On Oct 15, 2022
Wallade:

Stop dwelling on NTA as a yardstick to measure Nigerian media. Use Channels TV, TVC, Arise TV, AIT and others; you can check them and their apps on google play store and ios app store for download. Attempt to use NTA to assess Nigerian media is tantamount to using one of the poorest TV stations in South Africa to assess your media.

I'd like to see these TVCs and AITs of yours. Please submit spectacular pictures below.
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by Chaos14: 12:51pm On Oct 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Show me one that can even compete with SA's public broadcaster.

Once I start showing you SA private media like Supersport and ENCA you gonna kill yourself.
If a farmer has only 1 heap to plant in what does he do with it. He takes care of it and makes sure it grows well but you see a farmer with 52 heaps may not have as good quality as the other farmer but atleast the farmer is richer and better of than the 1 heap farmer
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 1:00pm On Oct 15, 2022
Chaos14:
If a farmer has only 1 heap to plant in what does he do with it. He takes care of it and makes sure it grows well but you see a farmer with 52 heaps may not have as good quality as the other farmer but atleast the farmer is richer and better of than the 1 heap farmer

I get you. Like how one SuperSport heap (soccer, rugby, cricket, motorsport, tennis channels) is richer than all of Nigeria's 52 broadcasters combined?

I get you.

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by Sukersoc: 2:08pm On Oct 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Go ahead and let's see if it won't end in tears for you. Just try me, as an experiment gone wrong.

Try you online? shocked
See mumu o.... lol grin

And I guess you mean online tears too lol...

All this adolescent online bullies enhhh grin
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 2:13pm On Oct 15, 2022
Sukersoc:

Try you online? shocked
See mumu o.... lol grin

And I guess you mean online tears too lol...

All this adolescent online bullies enhhh grin

Mumuness is someone who's never heard of online warfare.

Go hide in your hole son, you've bitten more than you can chew with me.

Shalom.
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by shiki(m): 4:02pm On Oct 15, 2022
Happy birthday to you
LOLITAinLAGOS:

Wow

2 Likes

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by Wallade(m): 4:55pm On Oct 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

I'd like to see these TVCs and AITs of yours. Please submit spectacular pictures below.

You may doubt the pictures, just download the apps on google play store or ios app store.

Especially since you have time to download NTA app and wait for it endlessly to function on your device.
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by Sukersoc: 5:29pm On Oct 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Mumuness is someone who's never heard of online warfare.

Go hide in your hole son, you've bitten more than you can chew with me.

Shalom.

Shalom to you too Brother. The only time I have is the present moment; the only thing I really want to do with it is have fun.
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by Eastlink(m): 5:45pm On Oct 15, 2022
In addition, BBC broadcast in the 3 major Nigerian languages of Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa. Each stations own their contents as well.
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 6:08pm On Oct 15, 2022
Wallade:

You may doubt the pictures, just download the apps on google play store or ios app store.

Especially since you have time to download NTA app and wait for it endlessly to function on your device.

I've seen the shacks you call TVC and AIT studios. I actually wept a little.

2 Likes

Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by WannaHowzit(m): 6:13pm On Oct 15, 2022
Sukersoc:

Shalom to you too Brother. The only time I have is the present moment; the only thing I really want to do with it is have fun.

Next time u wanna continue having your fun don't drunkandly stumble into my thread.

Kapish.
Re: Does BBC Africa Prefer Nigeria Over South Africa News? by bolanto24(m): 6:29pm On Oct 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

I've seen the shacks you call TVC and AIT studios. I actually wept a little.

I'm a Nigerian, but I can actually side with you. Our government or private TV stations cannot be compared to any in SA.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Watch The Naming Ceremony Obidients Call Campaign In Benue(video) / Nobody Can Say What Will Happen To Nigeria If I Don’t Become President: Obi / INEC Release Procedures To Vote During 2023 Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.