Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,186 members, 7,864,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 11:38 AM

Why Jesus Is Lord? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Jesus Is Lord? (475 Views)

Why Muslims Dodge Explaining Why Jesus Wasn't Crucified Nor Killed / Endtimes : Commonsense Reasons Why Jesus Returns Before 2040 - Don Koenig / Why Jesus Christ Spoke More About Hell More Than Heaven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Jesus Is Lord? by iSense247: 7:58am On Oct 15, 2022
Generally speaking, a lord is someone with authority, control, or power over others; to say that someone is “lord” is to consider that person a master or ruler of some kind. In Jesus’ day the word lord was often used as a title of respect toward earthly authorities; when the leper called Jesus “Lord” in Matthew 8:2, he was showing Jesus respect as a healer and teacher (see also Matthew 8:25 and 15:25).

However, after the resurrection, the title “Lord,” as applied to Jesus, became much more than a title of honour or respect. Saying, “Jesus is Lord,” became a way of declaring Jesus’ deity. It began with Thomas’ exclamation when Jesus appeared to the disciples after His resurrection: “Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’” (John 20:28). From then on, the apostles’ message was that Jesus is Lord, meaning “Jesus is God.” Peter’s sermon on the Day of Pentecost contained that theme: “Let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah” (Acts 2:36). Later, in Cornelius’s house, Peter declared that Jesus is “Lord of all” (Acts 10:36). Note how in Romans 10:9 Jesus’ lordship is linked to His resurrection: “If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”

The statement “Jesus is Lord” means that Jesus is God. Jesus has “all authority in heaven and on earth” (Matthew 28:18). He is Lord of the Sabbath (Luke 6:5). He is “our only Sovereign and Lord” (Jude 1:4). He is, in fact, the Lord of lords (Revelation 17:14).

Jesus referred to Himself as “Lord” many times (e.g., Luke 19:31; John 13:13). And when we compare the Old Testament with the New, we find several times when the “LORD” (Yahweh) of the Hebrew Bible is equated with the “Lord Jesus” by the apostles. For example, Psalm 34:8 says, “Taste and see that the LORD is good,” and that passage is alluded to in 1 Peter 2:3, except there Jesus is the “Lord” who is good. Isaiah 8:13 says that “the LORD Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy”; in 1 Peter 3:15 we are commanded, “In your hearts honour Christ the Lord as holy” (ESV).

Amazingly, the Lord Jesus left His exalted position in heaven and came to earth to save us. In His Incarnation, He showed us what true meekness looks like (see Matthew 11:29). Just before His arrest, Jesus used His power and authority to teach us humility: “Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet” (John 13:14). The last will be first, according to our Lord (Matthew 19:30).

In saying, “Jesus is Lord,” we commit ourselves to obey Him. Jesus asked, “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” (Luke 6:46). An acknowledgement of Jesus’ lordship is logically accompanied by a submission to Jesus’ authority. If Jesus is Lord, then He owns us; He has the right to tell us what to do.

A person who says, “Jesus is Lord,” with a full understanding of what that means (Jesus is God and has supreme authority over all things) has been divinely enlightened: “No one can say, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ except by the Holy Spirit” (1 Corinthians 12:3). Faith in the Lord Jesus is required for salvation (Acts 16:31).

Jesus is Lord. It’s the truth, whether or not people acknowledge the fact. He is more than the Messiah, more than the Savior; He is the Lord of all. Someday, all will submit to that truth: “God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:9–11).

https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-is-Lord.html

Re: Why Jesus Is Lord? by HRprof: 9:15am On Oct 15, 2022
Definition of lord is different from being called God. Lord is title that signifies being leader in charge of people or things example
Landlord is the owner of his own land right ? Not lord over another person’s land
Judge in the law court are called my lord during court proceedings, and can only be lord within his jurisdiction or at that particular court hearing.
Now let’s relate to Jesus as lord - this signifies his leadership over Christianity and Christians alone not Lord over every religious and not God to all that’s why he made mention in the Bible saying “as he is so are we”
I am a Christian and that is my understanding about the quote “Jesus is lord”
What do I know wink
Re: Why Jesus Is Lord? by Maynmann: 11:34am On Oct 15, 2022
Heard of “Lord Lugard” , yeah, he still has someone he reports to.

Re: Why Jesus Is Lord? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:50pm On Oct 15, 2022
HRprof:
Definition of lord is different from being called God. Lord is title that signifies being leader in charge of people or things example
Landlord is the owner of his own land right ? Not lord over another person’s land
Judge in the law court are called my lord during court proceedings, and can only be lord within his jurisdiction or at that particular court hearing.
Now let’s relate to Jesus as lord - this signifies his leadership over Christianity and Christians alone not Lord over every religious and not God to all that’s why he made mention in the Bible saying “as he is so are we”
What do I know wink

Then you did not appreciate when Jesus said "John 8:58 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

The same "Tell Pharoah and the children of Israel that I AM hath sent me into you" Exodus 3:14
Re: Why Jesus Is Lord? by iSense247: 7:54pm On Oct 15, 2022
HRprof:
What do I know wink
@ the bolded, I like how you ended your comment with that sincere question. It shows you know yourself.

Now go back to the post and read it two more times, slower and slowest.
Re: Why Jesus Is Lord? by Maynmann: 7:56pm On Oct 15, 2022
iSense247:
@ the bolded, I like how you ended your comment with that sincere question. It shows you know yourself.

It’s an idiom. Lol Chrestian.
Re: Why Jesus Is Lord? by HRprof: 12:57am On Oct 16, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Then you did not appreciate when Jesus said "John 8:58 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

The same "Tell Pharoah and the children of Israel that I AM hath sent me into you" Exodus 3:14

@ bolded explain it all - meaning he was sent to you by God and he report back to God and not God himself.
Re: Why Jesus Is Lord? by HRprof: 1:01am On Oct 16, 2022
iSense247:

Of course I know myself and I know that you don't read your bible with understanding. Wisdom is profitable to direct in all you get, get wisdom and understanding - bible quote

1 Like

Re: Why Jesus Is Lord? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:54am On Oct 16, 2022
HRprof:

@ bolded explain it all - meaning he was sent to you by God and he report back to God and not God himself.

Yes!

I always tell people to look carefully at Genesis 1 to 21, we see 2 Persons Speaking;
1)God (The Highest) and

2) The Lord, God which means The Lord Who is man's own God. (hence His Declaration to Moses on the mountain) which in chapter 4 changed to "The Lord" since we now know Who is He is.

Hence "John 8:58 shows that Jesus Christ is He Who is The Lord Who is our God on Genesis 1, 2, 3 and in Exodus 3:14

(1) (Reply)

Learn Arabic Within Six Months / Nairaland Should Also Make It A Oath To Avoid Non Christians Comment in our post / Those Who Love Are Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.