Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda (3200 Views)

This Tinubu Propoganda War Against Saraki Is In Full Swing / The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame / *~ Katsumoto Voted The Politics Section Poster Of 2012 *~ Congratulations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by ektbear: 2:17am On Aug 18, 2011
Last week, Governor Peter Obi of Anambra received unflattering epithets when he intruded on a rally where state workers were discussing his unpopular proposal on the implementation of the new minimum wage. A wise governor would have sat down to listen to the concerns of the workers. Not Mr. Obi. He commandeered the microphone, talked at the workers at length, and then proceeded to leave. That’s when the workers unleashed a torrent of insults.

Governor Obi’s behavior at that rally typifies his rather unfortunate style. This is a man who believes he has all the answers, and that the governed – much like serfs – must indulge his long-winded speeches. If his audience appears less than willing to swallow his fancies and decrees, then the gubernatorial words must be forced down their throats – to quote the motto of one of the governor’s fans.

In the campaign that preceded the February 6, 2010 governorship election in Anambra, Mr. Obi recruited many Catholic priests to champion him from the pulpit. Some of the priests told their congregants that Mr. Obi was God’s and the pope’s choice. It was a terrible moment for the priests who permitted themselves to be used in a deplorable scheme. Many of them, I am aware, have since openly expressed regret for the untoward role they played.

Politics in Anambra was already beset by several maladies, including the horrific plague of “godfatherism” and violence. Mr. Obi’s exploitation of combustible sectarian sentiments compounded an already bad situation.

Once ensconced in office for his second term, Governor Obi appeared determined to surpass the middling – in fact mediocre – record that defined his first term. He has brought little or no imagination to the task of governance. Some in Anambra would argue that he has brought the wrong kind of imagination to the job.

Obi’s performance would be uninspiring by any measure, but his failure is magnified both by the odds he overcame on his way to Government House and the grand scale of the hope that they people invested in him.

Rigged out of an election he won in 2003, he took his case to court and fought doggedly, admirably, to reclaim his mandate. In pursuing that stolen mandate, Mr. Obi stipulated, rightly, that he had a moral duty to claim what the electorate had given him. On account of what we saw as his principled stance, some of us applauded when he rebuffed entreaties to abandon his case.

Mr. Obi would later return to court again when the machinery of the PDP orchestrated his impeachment, seen as part of a larger plan to clear the path for Andy Uba, a particularly close aide to former President Olusegun Obasanjo, to wangle his way onto the governor’s seat. Anambra exploded in euphoria the day Obi triumphed. Much later still, when he persuaded the Supreme Court to sack Mr. Uba from his illicit occupancy of Government House, Nigerians – not just Anambrarians – stood up and saluted. The feeling was abroad that here was a man destined for great political acts.

Alas, it’s been a season of great fizzling acts. And the people of Anambra, as well as fans from elsewhere, are deeply perplexed.

Mr. Obi’s undoing – apart from the aforementioned paucity of imagination – lies in his increasing confidence that propaganda is a substitute for solid governance and verifiable achievements.

With little to show for his years so far in office, the governor has taken to trumpeting and advertising hollow accomplishments. His signature “accomplishment” is the tarring of 500 kilometers of roads. Missing in that claim – assuming the accuracy of the figure – is the poor quality of the roads. Last June, I traveled on Ifite road in Awka, one of the most recently tarred roads, and an important traffic artery that leads to the state-owned university. Despite the recentness of its construction, the road was already filled with potholes.

In fact the state capital, Awka, is so rundown and wretched that it would do war-ravaged Mogadishu no credit at all. What’s clear is that the governor believes his image to constitute aesthetic asset. Wherever you turn in the state capital, you’re bound to see some billboard, always with an image of Mr. Obi’s face. Some billboards carry cheap exhortations. Most tout the governor’s ostensible accomplishments. And what are these achievements? In one, Mr. Obi boasts of distributing 10,000 computers to schools and communities. In another, that he has provided some transformers. One was compelled to ask, what kind of computers? Did Mr. Obi ensure that the recipient schools have Internet access? Do they have qualified computer technicians? Do they even have electric power?

A pattern that seems to define Mr. Obi’s approach to governance is a relentless pursuit of the elephantine but hollow project. With fanfare he invited President Goodluck Jonathan to commission the Kenneth Onwuka Dike e-library in Awka. But there’s neither a single book nor computer in that so-called library. During my visit in June, the building was skirted by overgrown bush. Looking at the sign announcing the library, one was amazed. Does an empty building become a library – an e-library, for that matter – simply because a governor named it as one?

I drove past a huge structure under construction in Awka that the governor has named a teaching hospital. I am no medical expert, but I knew that the building was ill suited for a hospital. A hospital needs a lot of ventilation and light. The alleged teaching hospital in Awka has only its bigness going for it. The windows are horribly small. In fact – judging by their poor ventilation – it would be cruel to house prisoners in those structures.

At any rate, one couldn’t figure out Mr. Obi’s obsession with building a teaching hospital when he has remained nonchalant in the face of a long-running strike by state-employed medical doctors. If he’s averse to offering his doctors a relatively small wage increase to persuade them to call off their strike, how and where is he going to attract doctors to fill the positions in all the departments of a teaching hospital?

Governor Obi’s depleted political fortunes illustrate the certain hazards of cultivating an imperial mindset. Obi’s troubles are self-inflicted, for he started out with tremendous goodwill, in Anambra and beyond. He alone can arrest, and hopefully reverse, his political downfall. It would take a recognition, one, that the people of Anambra deserve far better than he has given them, two, that propaganda can take him nowhere, three, that the people he governs are wise enough to distinguish between a governor who serves them and one who serves self, and, four, that the best form of leadership is one that weds imagination and action.

Written by Okey Ndibe (okeyndibe@gmail.com).

http://thewillnigeria.com/opinion/9424-ANAMBRA-AND-THE-POLITICS-PROPAGANDA.html
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by ektbear: 2:18am On Aug 18, 2011
A very interesting read.
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by ak47mann(m): 2:36am On Aug 18, 2011
Hmmmm never trusted that obi of a guy!!!!
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by ektbear: 3:19am On Aug 18, 2011
The way this guy paint it, sounds like a Greek tragedy of some sort. "The rise and fall of Peter Obi." Hopefully Okorocha will not similarly flame out. . .
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Kobojunkie: 3:40am On Aug 18, 2011
Mr. Obi’s undoing – apart from the aforementioned paucity of imagination – lies in his increasing confidence that propaganda is a substitute for solid governance and verifiable achievements. 

With little to show for his years so far in office, the governor has taken to trumpeting and advertising hollow accomplishments. His signature “accomplishment” is the tarring of 500 kilometers of roads. Missing in that claim – assuming the accuracy of the figure – is the poor quality of the roads. Last June, I traveled on Ifite road in Awka, one of the most recently tarred roads, and an important traffic artery that leads to the state-owned university. Despite the recentness of its construction, the road was already filled with potholes.

In fact the state capital, Awka, is so rundown and wretched that it would do war-ravaged Mogadishu no credit at all. What’s clear is that the governor believes his image to constitute aesthetic asset. Wherever you turn in the state capital, you’re bound to see some billboard, always with an image of Mr. Obi’s face. Some billboards carry cheap exhortations. Most tout the governor’s ostensible accomplishments. And what are these achievements? In one, Mr. Obi boasts of distributing 10,000 computers to schools and communities. In another, that he has provided some transformers. One was compelled to ask, what kind of computers? Did Mr. Obi ensure that the recipient schools have Internet access? Do they have qualified computer technicians? Do they even have electric power?

This is late. I mean this man did next to nothing during his first term in office, so, big deal! grin grin grin The trumpeting didn't start today -- this is the same man whose claimed accomplishments include VIPit toilets . . . . I mean common . . . what are folks complaining about now? This na part of the fresh air -- abi im own still fall under "Wind of Change" ROFL !!! Wey Aisha and that thread of hers ooo!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by shotster50(m): 3:49am On Aug 18, 2011
About time people stood up to him.
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by ifyalways(f): 4:52am On Aug 18, 2011
I wonder how this made the homepage as this is NO news.
We all know Obi is a non-performing noise maker.I have asked his fans and supporters(if any,excluding the paid online e-goats and publicists like Arinze eze) to list his achievements in Anambra for the years he's spent in Awka and all I get is long epistles and grammar.

Obi might have succeded and made money as a biz man but as a governor he failed woefully!

He is like the proverbial fly on the scrotrum to Anambarians,we'd "endure" his lies,long boring speeches and non-performance for a couple of months more and then like his pal Dora,be shown the way out.

We've had enough!
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Onlytruth(m): 5:31am On Aug 18, 2011
^^

Ify nwanne m nwanyi, ejirom gi egwu egwu ncha ncha.
Ife ikwulu bu eziokwu, mana o gaghi ete aka ochichi nwokem ahu ebie.
Jisie ike, agbo mma.  wink
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Kobojunkie: 5:34am On Aug 18, 2011
^^^ Cut the bull!!! You are one of the known Obi PRAISE SINGERS here on Nairaland . . . . You almost chewed our ears off with your snips at anyone who dares expose Obi and your APGA!!! Flip-flopper extra-ordinaire!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Onlytruth(m): 5:40am On Aug 18, 2011
^
Who let the dog out. . whoof woof woof
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Nobody: 5:44am On Aug 18, 2011
ifyalways:

I wonder how this made the homepage as this is NO news.
We all know Obi is a non-performing noise maker.I have asked his fans and supporters(if any,excluding the paid online e-goats and publicists like Arinze eze) to list his achievements in Anambra for the years he's spent in Awka and all I get is long epistles and grammar.

Obi might have succeded and made money as a biz man but as a governor he failed woefully!

He is like the proverbial fly on the scrotrum to Anambarians,we'd "endure" his lies,long boring speeches and non-performance for a couple of months more and then like his pal Dora,be shown the way out.

We've had enough!

sounds like gej
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by doctokwus: 8:12am On Aug 18, 2011
A state blessd wt so much human capital,yet governd by a type like obi. I always feel like spittin evrytime I see or hear dat clown,salaries unpaid,infrastructure undone,including roads neglectd,nil galvanisation of d rich human rsource,nil vision of where he wants d state to b in yrs to come.His poor governance is so annoyin,u bgin to wonder sometimes if some pple evn gv a hoot about legacies,of course not wen u steal so much while in office dt u wd always av sycophants to sing ur praises!Muccck!I spit his name out!!!
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Ucheosefoh(m): 9:01am On Aug 18, 2011
I have always hate that Peter Obi of a man always making noise with a voice that sounds like women's voice I wonder if Anambrians are blind and dumb to vote for that clown of a man in the last election
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by ifyalways(f): 9:16am On Aug 18, 2011
edited cheesy

@Only Truth . . .Dalu so.Kedu Ije?
Ije ndi Anambra na Obi bu Ije ndidi.O naghi adigide . . . .Nwa mgbe nta wink
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Nobody: 9:27am On Aug 18, 2011
na today una know, Pita obi lol.
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Yeske2(m): 9:40am On Aug 18, 2011
Regretted ever voting for him last year, he's nothing but a disappointment.
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Emperoh(m): 9:50am On Aug 18, 2011
He may be losing the plot but to say he is non-performing is outright false.
I am no fan of his, but the man did his best.

I am still waiting for the state in the South East with a better road network than Anambra.

Obi is authoritarian, posits a holier than thou image, self centered and selfish, but to say he's not done much for Anambra, is false!!

I am a big fan of Mr. Ndibe, but this is one article i have doubts on some issues raised.
Accuse Mr. Obi of not doing it to standard but not doing at all is false!!
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Abagworo(m): 9:55am On Aug 18, 2011
Why I dislike him is because he is stingy.Anambra political appointees earn next to nothing and usually fall out with him.I once asked on Nairaland where is Anambra's money going?
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by asha80(m): 10:49am On Aug 18, 2011
Abagworo:

Why I dislike him is because he is stingy.Anambra political appointees earn next to nothing and usually fall out with him.I once asked on Nairaland where is Anambra's money going?

i do not see how that is an issue.if that is the only problem with him then there is no problem or do you prefer jumbo salaries for political appointees?
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Sarahluv(f): 11:46am On Aug 18, 2011
Emperoh:

I am still waiting for the state in the South East with a better road network than Anambra.

Obi is authoritarian, posits a holier than thou image, self centered and selfish, but to say he's not done much for Anambra, is false!!

I am a big fan of Mr. Ndibe, but this is one article i have doubts on some issues raised.

This needs to be clarified. I have heard of the performance of Ohakim in the past, as well as Chime. How is it possible that an alleged non-performer has performed better than all the other South-East governors in the area of road network construction.
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by ifyalways(f): 11:59am On Aug 18, 2011
Emperoh:

How many of the roads did had Obi's siggy on it

You said he did his best right?examples please . . . what did he do?No long grammar,epistles and speeches please.Thank you!
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by RoadStar: 12:34pm On Aug 18, 2011
Emperoh:

And what has that got to do with Obi.
The whole credit goes too Ngige who not only constructed roads on a mega scale but used a renowned construction company RCC.

Obi came to office by playing on the huge well known the ethnic and religious sentiments of Igbos.
This is why I maintain that nowadays, the SE has a few to learn from the SW when it comes 2 politics.
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by flyuche(m): 12:40pm On Aug 18, 2011
anambra state does not have a government. peter obi you fall my hand.
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Donmeca(m): 1:34pm On Aug 18, 2011
GEJ had no shoes growing up. . .now as a president, he has uncountable pairs of shoes, many wrist watches and cars. Obi had many pairs of shoe as a young man (my joke). . .now as a governor, he has only a pair of black shoes, one wrist watch and a 504 Peugeot car. Y are they reversing each other's record?
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by 299: 1:42pm On Aug 18, 2011
@emperoh, ,when last did you visit ENUGU STATE?
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by guente02(m): 2:07pm On Aug 18, 2011
This type of Obi is a Fool! Imagine working out of the people that got him where he is 2day. Goat
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Kobojunkie: 2:12pm On Aug 18, 2011
Why insult the man for giving people exactly what people allowed him to? I mean he is on his second term--- second term that the people of Anambra, after the first round, decided he still deserved. I figured the people probably loved a governor whose list included ViPit toilets , but here some of you are, putting him down as if the man somehow swindled you all, when that never happened! grin grin grin grin
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:55pm On Aug 18, 2011
my mother is a teacher grin grin,they should implement the new minimum wage because we don't have money grin grin
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by SamMilla1(m): 2:57pm On Aug 18, 2011
The road network in Enugu is 10 times better than that of Anambra. I shuttle between the two states atleast four times weekly
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by JBaby4: 3:33pm On Aug 18, 2011
I am really disappointed at Obi, better put, i never expected any thing from him, wished Anambra gave Ngige that chance, they would be competing with Lagos now
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by Myluv1: 3:42pm On Aug 18, 2011
It's baffling when over 90% of the people that condemns Obi's administration are not even residing in Anambra State. And a further 98% know little or nothing about everyday developments in the state.

Compared to most states in Nigeria that have only their capitals as their mega cities, Anambra has Onitsha, Awka and Nnewi to say but the least. There is no way one can judge Obi's ongoing works by merely visiting Onitsha, Awka or Nnewi and come to a conclusion.

And let me suggest here that one should before comparing Anambra state with other states, consider the differences in their allocations from the FG, IGR, ORIENTATION of the people (of the said states), status of the mentioned states- for example, Lagos was Nigeria's FCT, Akwa Ibom, Delta, Rivers etc. are oil producing states; Enugu was the former old Anambra state capital.

Obi gave desktops, 50 laptops, furnished science labs, generators, buses to mention but a few, to every secondary school I know of. Additionally, girls secondary schools can now coast of potable drinking water courtesy of Obi's administration.

But then, some corrupt people like that principal of Washington Mem. grammar sch. Onitsha would want to embezzle funds meant for their schools, and when you visit there without evidence, they'll deny ever receiving such from govt. There are also schools that benefit from govt. partnership with private sectors like the Finbank Hostel renovated at St. Charles College Onitsha.
   There is 'water for all' project underway that will benefit EVERY part of the state. In terms of road construction, one can easily access most hinterlands now as the development is well spread (not just beautifying the main cities).

ORIENTATION: Seriously, our people need complete re-orientarion. You have people littering and messing up the streets with wastes only to decamp thereafter to Asaba the neighbouring state complaining about how dirty Onitsha is! Isn't that ridiculous?

In conclusion, rebuilding any state in Nigeria or our nation as a whole needs our individual sacrifices. How would you feel as an entrepreneur noticing a dwindling fortune in your biz, you manage to give it a face lift- buy more equipment, furnish your biz place/factory, and and then anticipate a better income from it to be able to increase your workers' pay. All of a sudden, your employees start breathing down your throat for pay increment, citing their counterparts in other coys as a reference, ? Answer that to yourself.

I know, when our nation is not working, we are sacrificing,  but now that it is making a step, me thinks it needs more of our sacrifice, and even more!

Since we cannot but wait him out of office, let's give him the support he needs for the betterment of Anambra State. I believe posterity will judge him fairly,  My 2 kobo sha o!

May God bless up all.
Re: Anambra And The Politics Of Propoganda by dempeople(m): 3:49pm On Aug 18, 2011
We're never blessed with good politicians in my beloved Anambra. angry

@Asha80,

Nwanne keduzi ebe Itinyezili isi all these while? Udo adikwa or maybe u were wesley80?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Stealing High Tension Cables Dies Electrocuted On A Utility pole [pics] / BREAKING NEWS: Jonathan Summons G7 Governors To Aso Rock! / Femi Aribisala: Is Goodluck Jonathan Really Clueless?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.