Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,206 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame (15010 Views)

Show Of Shame As Govt, Security Officials Turn Govt House To Boxing Arena / Chatham House: Stage Managed Show Of Shame By Buhari, APC – Fani Kayode / Nairaland Politics Section Hall Of Shame 2012 - Grand Finale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Seun(m): 2:38pm On Dec 24, 2012
Dear Nairalanders

A lot of people don't know this, but I'm not directly involved in the Nairaland end of year award process.
So, like many of you, I was shocked and appalled when I saw Chinua Achebe's name on the Politics section Hall of Shame contest.

I think this unacceptable development demonstrates the fact that the Politics Section Hall of Shame is not a constructive idea.
I hereby call on the Politics section moderators, Jarus and OAM4j, to end the divisive Hall of Shame contest and delete all related threads.

Thank you.

My apology: https://www.nairaland.com/1141760/apology-jarus-oam4j

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by mosunade(f): 2:51pm On Dec 24, 2012
God bless you Seun. Try to end any thread that has to do with hall of fame, best poster, best moderator, best this, best that.

5 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Afam4eva(m): 2:52pm On Dec 24, 2012
God Bless you Seun. It's a shame indeed.

2 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Orpelin: 2:54pm On Dec 24, 2012
see the level of our political tolerance in this country.
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 24, 2012
You can not build a society where you commend the good alone without castigating the bad and the ugly. There were rules and nomination procedures that were followed in putting Achebe on that list. Seun, which of the rules has been broken? Did the moderators nominate him?

Two, tell me how is Achebe suddenly more important than the Nigerian president? If GEJ could be conferred with such award in 2011, who is Achebe that can not be so honored in similar fashion? You can't change the goal post when the game is on.

Seun, what's more shameful than gagging the opinions of majority of Nairalanders who nominated him?

37 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 3:13pm On Dec 24, 2012
Seun: Dear Nairalanders

A lot of people don't know this, but I'm not directly involved in the Nairaland end of year award process.
So, like many of you, I was shocked and appalled when I saw Chinua Achebe's name on the Politics section Hall of Shame contest.

I think this unacceptable development demonstrates the fact that the Politics Section Hall of Shame is not a constructive idea.
I hereby call on the Politics section moderators, Jarus and OAM4j, to end the divisive Hall of Shame contest and delete all related threads.

Thank you.

Was it ok last year when he was on Hall of Fame list? Nairalanders are not robots, if they think he should be on Hall of Shame this year, I think that should be it. Anyway it's your prerogative, but bear in mind that the book he wrote is also divisive.

11 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by k2039: 3:18pm On Dec 24, 2012
Prof Corruption: You can not build a society where you commend the good alone without castigating the bad and the ugly. There were rules and nomination procedures that were followed in putting Achebe on that list. Seun, which of the rules has been broken? Did the moderators nominate him?

Two, tell me how is Achebe suddenly more important than the Nigerian president? If GEJ could be conferred with such award in 2011, who is Achebe that can not be so honored in similar fashion? You can't change the goal post when the game is on.

Seun, what's more shameful than gagging the opinions of majority of Nairalanders who nominated him?

Wa gbayi.

I just don't understand why Seun had to bow to the pressure.

If Awolowo had been nominated the people clamouring for the removal of Achebe would have endorsed Awolowo for the hall of shame.

The single reason why they are clamouring for Achebe's removal is because he is their kinsmen.

This is a forum and everyone is entitled to what they think, the fact that some people consider someone an hero doesn't mean everyone should and it doesn't mean the person is necessarily a hero or not..

2 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by seanet02: 3:22pm On Dec 24, 2012
Seun stop looking for cheap popularity. When Goodluck was there you said nothing, what is good for Goodluck is also good for Achebe
achebe is nothing but a bigoted and m0ronic writer.
Seun stop looking for cheap popularity.

6 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Seun(m): 3:23pm On Dec 24, 2012
Prof Corruption: Seun, what's more shameful than gagging the opinions of majority of Nairalanders who nominated him?

The fact that he got the most votes does not imply that Achebe haters are in the majority. Suppose 60% of Nairalanders, like me, support Chinua Achebe and think he doesn't deserve to be on the Hall of Shame, while just 40% think he deserves it. Because of the way voting works, Achebe's supporters won't have any way of influencing the results of the contest, even though they are in the majority. They may complain, but their complaints won't be counted, even though they are in the majority. In other words, the hall of shame system is biased towards negativity and hatred, even when it's held by a minority of members. And that's why the hall of shame should be terminated asap.

To those saying Chinua Achebe deserves to be on the Hall of Shame, let me ask you this: Why not Boko Haram? Why not the ALUU community?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by nduchucks: 3:23pm On Dec 24, 2012
If the owner of this site concludes that the Politics Section Hall of Shame is not a constructive idea, then we'll have to live with scrapping the idea.

Chinua Achebe's nomination by people who were offended by his latest publication indeed caused quite a bit of uproar and very bad publicity. The fact that GEJ's nomination and induction into the hall of shame last year, 2011, did not generate this much uproar, says a lot about our current President.

I take this opportunity to call upon GEJ to have some balls and fight the ongoing war against BH and other extremists. He should resign if he is not up to the job. shi kena.

1 Like

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by bushwailo: 3:23pm On Dec 24, 2012
Aigbofa:

Was it ok last year when he was on Hall of Fame list? Nairalanders are not robots, if they think he should be on Hall of Shame this year, I think that should be it. Anyway it's your prerogative, but bear in mind that the book he wrote is also divisive.
There is no problem in voting people into the hall of fame/shame list.
But its the Nomination or shortlisting process that is very questionable and initially made me loose complete respect for this forum.

I would've not had a problem if Achebe was listed for the said "allegations" against Awo,
But I think I would have had Awo to the list as well for the same unproven "allegations".

We are talking of one of the highest selling books this year.
A feat so shameful in Nigerian terms.

3 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Katsumoto: 3:24pm On Dec 24, 2012
Seun,

Do not let your personal opinion interfere with both a democratic process and freedom of speech. If the president of Nigeria could be selected for Hall of Shame last year, who da hell is Achebe that he can't be nominated or selected? If Achebe did nothing to warrant being on the poll, then no one would be voting for him. If people can't make their feelings known to leaders for their actions, how do you expect leaders to exercise restraint and wisdom in their thought process and actions? Achebe wrote a book and some folks are unhappy about the contents of the said book but you expect them to keep quiet!!! If a man you admired and respected killed your dear mother, would you continue to love and respect him?

13 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by taharqa: 3:26pm On Dec 24, 2012
Prof Corruption: You can not build a society where you commend the good alone without castigating the bad and the ugly. There were rules and nomination procedures that were followed in putting Achebe on that list. Seun, which of the rules has been broken? Did the moderators nominate him?

STOP foooling yrself wit this 'majority of nairalands' CRAP.. Many of a few of u hv up to 10 different ID's for God's sake. 10 ID's * 10 persons = 100 'persons' on NL... 'Majority' my very fine azzz..

9 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Jarus(m): 3:27pm On Dec 24, 2012
For not being consulted before going public, I hereby tender my resignation as Nairaland Politics Section moderator.

Please delete my name from your list of moderators immediately.

Regards,

57 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Katsumoto: 3:27pm On Dec 24, 2012
Seun:

The fact that he got the most votes does not imply that Achebe haters are in the majority. Suppose 60% of Nairalanders, like me, support Chinua Achebe and think he doesn't deserve to be on the Hall of Shame, while just 40% think he deserves it. Because of the way voting works, Achebe's supporters won't have any way of influencing the results of the contest, even though they are in the majority. They may complain, but there complaints won't be counted, even though they are in the majority. In other words, the hall of shame system is biased towards negativity and hatred, even when it's held by a minority of members. And that's why the hall of shame should be terminated asap.

To those saying Chinua Achebe deserves to be on the Hall of Shame, let me ask you this: Why not Boko Haram? Why not the ALUU community?

Then 60% of should vote for another candidate to ensure your candidate doesn't win the title. But in any case, the point would have been made to Chinua Achebe if he cared at all.

That is your own opinion. People are entitled to their own views and opinions. He who wears the shoe knows where and how it hurts if it is not the right size.

2 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 24, 2012
Prof Corruption: There were rules and nomination procedures that were followed in putting Achebe on that list.

ogbeni, what rules? Please kindly go back to the nomination thread and check out how the nomination of chinua achebe started.
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by seanet02: 3:31pm On Dec 24, 2012
Seun:

The fact that he got the most votes does not imply that Achebe haters are in the majority. Suppose 60% of Nairalanders, like me, support Chinua Achebe and think he doesn't deserve to be on the Hall of Shame, while just 40% think he deserves it. Because of the way voting works, Achebe's supporters won't have any way of influencing the results of the contest, even though they are in the majority. They may complain, but there complaints won't be counted, even though they are in the majority. In other words, the hall of shame system is biased towards negativity and hatred, even when it's held by a minority of members. And that's why the hall of shame should be terminated asap.

Infact Seun you are big disappointment. Achebe wrote fictional tissues of fabricated and monumental lies, he deserve to be THE MOST USELESS BIGOT THE WORLD WILL EVER SEE

6 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 24, 2012
wow - this is the ibb approach - when elections do not go the way you want - annul them

why are we allowing a vocal bunch of noisemakers to truncate the process?

maybe as nl emperor, you should simply unilaterally announce your mod of the year, man of the year etc, without resorting to the democratic process

7 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by seanet02: 3:33pm On Dec 24, 2012
berem: ogbeni, what rules? Please kindly go back to the nomination thread and check out how the nomination of chinua achebe started.
In what way was the nomination of Achebe an abomination?
Achebe is the winner of this year's HALL OF SHAME.
Live with it or hug transformer

3 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Afam4eva(m): 3:35pm On Dec 24, 2012
On a a second thought, even though i believe it's ludicrous to put Achebe on the Hall of Shame list, think we have to be clear on what we're fighting for. is it that the hall of Shame is not a good idea or is it because someone like Achebe was nominated? Like someone said, is it because Achebe was nominated and not someone else? I believe we have to be clear on that.

2 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by maclatunji: 3:35pm On Dec 24, 2012
Wow! All of a sudden, I am happy I didn't follow those threads.

Seun are you giving your opinion or making a decision? It is important that you are unambiguous at times like this.

Personally, I haven't followed the process but I will say if no rules were broken let this one go. Let us mods and higher-ups meet and review Nairaland's voting, awards and polling processes to make them better.

Anything worth doing at all is worth doing well- enough of all of these controversies. We can manage Nairaland better.

1 Like

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 3:35pm On Dec 24, 2012
Seun: The fact that he got the most votes does not imply that Achebe haters are in the majority. Suppose 60% of Nairalanders, like me, support Chinua Achebe and think he doesn't deserve to be on the Hall of Shame, while just 40% think he deserves it. Because of the way voting works, Achebe's supporters won't have any way of influencing the results of the contest, even though they are in the majority. They may complain, but their complaints won't be counted, even though they are in the majority. In other words, the hall of shame system is biased towards negativity and hatred, even when it's held by a minority of members. And that's why the hall of shame should be terminated asap.

its called democracy

too bad for achebe if he chose to be a revisionist divider interested in tearing up old wounds in his twilight years

2 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 3:35pm On Dec 24, 2012
Jarus: For not being consulted before going public, I hereby tender my resignation as Nairaland Politics Section moderator.

Regards,
This makes sense to me. You should have been consulted.

I would have done what you just did as well.

5 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Katsumoto: 3:37pm On Dec 24, 2012
How many threads have been created to denigrate the person of Obafemi Awolowo? How many Awo supporters have threatened NL or cried like babies because of the said threads? Did Seun interfere with the creation of the creation of those threads?

6 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by maclatunji: 3:37pm On Dec 24, 2012
Jarus: For not being consulted before going public, I hereby tender my resignation as Nairaland Politics Section moderator.

Regards,

Oh dear! Mercy me! We seem to be high on something here, I don't know what it is.
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by bushwailo: 3:37pm On Dec 24, 2012
@Seun sitting around and saying that you are not involved in certain aspects of your project (Nairaland) is as far as I am concerned a bit careless.
At a time when your site is getting so much recognition.

The actions of @Jarus as a moderator is inexcusable and potentially damaging to your course.
I think he should be relieved of his position as a moderator immediately.
He has shown time and time again that he cannot rise above his bias and sentiments, whether political or ideological.

This is a guy who continues to propagate Sanusi year in year out as a hero or success, something which Nigerians and NLanders are not interested in.
I think you need to get yourself new moderators, ones who will rise above their own bias and opinions.

We all rejoiced and I for one i'm very proud of the fact that your website is beginning to get the international recognition it deserves.
But more than ever, you need to pay more attention because things could change very quickly.
The like of Yahoo, MySpace have learnt the bitter way.

You got millions of dollar opportunity on your hands, please don't let the usual Nigerian factor ruin it for you.

4 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by maclatunji: 3:39pm On Dec 24, 2012
sexkillz: This makes sense to me. You should have been consulted.

I would have done what you just did as well.

Don't add fuel to fire.

1 Like

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 24, 2012
maclatunji:

Don't add fuel to fire.
Call a spade, a spade. . . I just did!
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2012
Seun:

Your counter argument is flawed. Did those who consider him a villain like me prevent others from exercising their discretion? Those who like Achebe can easily influence it by simply voting for others on same list.

Did you conduct a survey to arrive at your conclusion of majority vs minority? Why is the so called majority not reflected by preventing his nomination to sail through? If I hold a position without expressing it, how do you expect that to count? Like I stated earlier, were you asleep last year when a whole president was so honoured? What steps did you take to prevent that?

It's arrogant to gag the majority by suggesting why not Boko Haram et al? I ask too, why not Achebe? I laugh at your hypocrisy. Do you suddenly realize some threads are divisive? What informed your decision to interfere with this thread among several others? Emotions, fear?

grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2012

you sincreley want to end divisive threads, you know the people you need to run out of nairaland

the people who for years have been spamming us with their master tribe noise and chest beating
Re: The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame by bushwailo: 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2012
Jarus:
For not being consulted before going public, I hereby tender my resignation as Nairaland Politics Section moderator.

Regards,
Good Riddance !

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha Splashes 5.5m To Igboist Facebook Group, Still Owes Salaries / Olawepo-hashim: I Was A Lonely Child Who Cheated Death 4 Times While Growing Up / Easterners adopt the name “dot republic”. Pictures From Dot Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.