Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Before You Sign That Lease Agreement - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Before You Sign That Lease Agreement (514 Views)

Miniflat To Let In Ojodu: No Agency, No Agreement Fee / Buying Land - Have You Always Paid A Lawyer 10% For The Agreement Fee? / Abuja Tenancy Agreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Before You Sign That Lease Agreement by ayandee: 4:03am On Aug 18, 2011
I took a lease of a small flat in 2009. After paying the exorbitant rent plus legal and agency fees, I was so eager to move in that i didn't bother about the lease agreement. 'That can wait', i thought. Barely 2 months after i had settled in, I asked my landlord for d lease agreement. His facial expression was one of surprise. 'Lease agreement?' he quizzed. Perhaps other tenants had occupied the premises for years without formal leases. The first year rolled by, Baba (that's what we call him) brought no lease agreement. Suddenly, on one glorious saturday morning in June 2010, we heard a knock. Lo and behold, our Baba appeared beaming with smiles holding a long blue paper in his hands. 'This is the agreement. You see, my lawyer has been very busy.' he said. Ten minutes later, he returned asking for the signed copies. I told him the agreement had to be reviewed first. He was surprised. 'What's in a tenancy agreement?' he queried. Two weeks later, I handed him the unsigned lease with a lawyer's letter. In the lease, baba's 'busy' lawyer had subtly broken my annual rent into monthly instalments thus suggesting that i was a monthly tenant. The lease was so smartly drafted that in any event, i would only be entitled to a month's notice of eviction inspite of having paid 2years rent upfront. If you've spent a fortune on rent, why not spend a token to prevent unlawful ejection by reviewing your lease agreement. That can save you a lot of trouble. Contact- ayandayo@yahoo.com or call 08084244904 Lo and behold, our baba appeared beaming with smiles holding a long blue paper in his hands. 'This is the agreement. You see, my lawyer has been very busy.' he said. Ten minutes later, he returned asking for the signed copies. I told him the agreement had to be reviewed first. He was surprised. 'What's in a tenancy agreement?' he queried. Two weeks later, I handed him the unsigned lease with a lawyer's letter. In the lease, baba's 'busy' lawyer had subtly broken my annual rent into monthly instalments thus suggesting that i was a monthly tenant. The lease was so smartly drafted that in any event, i would only be entitled to a month's notice of eviction inspite of having paid 2years rent upfront. If you've spent a fortune on rent, why not spend a token to prevent unlawful ejection by reviewing your lease agreement. Contact- ayandayo@yahoo.com or call 08084244904

(1) (Reply)

Shop For Sale At Oniru Shopping Complex Oniru Estate. N6m / 3691sqm Land Property On Glover Road Ikoyi / 4 Block Of 32 Nos Of 3 Bedroom Flat @ Jabi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.