Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Stop Giving Your Car To Fake People To Register For You - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Stop Giving Your Car To Fake People To Register For You (363 Views)

LEASE YOUR CAR TO US AND MAKE UP TO N300K MONTHLY / Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows / Procedures To Drive In A Nigeria Registered Car To Ghana Through The Border (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Stop Giving Your Car To Fake People To Register For You by greggng: 4:33pm On Oct 18, 2022
I am writing this from my experience as a car dealer. A lot of people ignore certain things that will end up coming back to them when the least expect.

If you are about to buy a tokunbo car ensure you run a vin check with the vehicle registration authority or agency ..THIS is different from the vin check which is used to ascertain the condition of the car , millage and where it comes from etc. This particular vin check will ascertain if the car has been registered in Nigeria. If the vin number of your car has been entered into the data base it means it is no longer foreign used ..it is now Nigerian used. Anyone that sold such a car as foreign used is a criminal.

If the vin number has been registered in Nigeria.. it will bring out the details of the owner . The person that registered the vehicle with Autoreg or the vehicle registration agency..is the legal owner of the car . If you are buying a used car ...ensure you trace it back to the person who registered it in the data base. The only exception to this is if the new buyer has done proper change of ownership .This way he becomes the new recognised owner of the vehicle..all document including a fresh plate number will now come in his name . One thing remains constant for that particular vehicle no matter the number of times ownership is transfered. The vin number or chassis number remains the same . If is tampered with along the chain...legally we are talking about another vehicle not same vehicle.

Yesterday I went out to buy a Honda eod ..The owner gave me all the document and I was impressed but when I started doing my verification I was disappointed . The vin number on the vehicle has been tampered with . Infact two numbers where replaced with another letter. I quickly ran a vin check with the authorities and I discovered that the car has not been registered in Nigeria. I demanded the presence of the person that registered that car . The moment the man came he explained to me that he was sent the vin number..that he only ask them.to check if is 17 numbers..This time around is a question of mistake but most times is attributable to stolen cars . You have to shine your eyes ..it will cost you money to do the check but is worth it cos trouble no good.. At the end I demanded for the custom papers and I removed his plate number and gave him all the document relating to the bad registration they did . I paid for the car after due diligence.

Right now the car is seen as tokunbo and will be given fresh registration.

Is a red flag for chassis or vin number on the car to be different from what is on the data base and document of the car . Don't allow anyone to make any mistake with your car registration. Call a mechanic to find out where your engine number is ...to avoid error. If you change engine or colour of your car ..get a police report to back it up .

Anyone that need further help on car registration..I mean proper car registration cos I don't dabble on illegality should send me a whatsap message 08062593234

The only document you are entitled to when buying a used car is the custom paper . The rest should be photo copy ..however we demand that you see the original from where the photocopy came from ...

Again don't live your plate number for anyone ..except you know that person very well ..thatnis the only time you can allow him a few weeks to do his own change of ownership and return your plate number . All original document of your car should remain with you . The buyer is entitled to photocopy only . He is not allowed by law to be driving under your identity .

I hope this write up will help someone .

Pls note ...Every car has a manufacturer sticker attached at the front drivers door . Snap it cosbit contains the vin number . Cross check it matches with the vin on the windscreen..then send the picture to whosever that is gonna register your car to avoid mistake . This applies to tokunbo car about to be registered . Same manufacturer sticker is used to verify car particulars to see if it matches with what is on data base.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: Stop Giving Your Car To Fake People To Register For You by greggng: 11:07pm On May 17, 2023
Due to popular demand ...I am going to use this particular senario to educate some of us about due diligence when it comes to car purchase

Case 1

Mr A ..is the first owner of the car and as a result his name is on the autoreg

Mr A sold the car to Mr B

Mr B didn't effect the change of ownership ...he kept on riding the car on Mr A identity .

Mr A called him.several times to return his plate number cos is against the law to be riding on another person's identity

Mr B ..was adamant ...infact he stopped picking Mr A call ..

All this are practical experiences some of us encounter in our car dealing line of business .As someone that helps in car documentation I have learnt alot over the years and I am glad to help those In need of help with respect to situations of this nature

To address this issue

Mr A ought to have removed his plate number before selling his car .Sometimes most buyers will plead for you to allow them sometime to effect change of ownership and return your plate number and other document that has your name except the custom papers.

Mr B ..is obliged to answer the call of Mr A..cos you don't pay good with evil ..whatever crime committed with that plate number will bounce back to MR A ...whose name is on autoreg . Sometimes if Mr B refuses to renew the car papers in record time ...vio camera might pick the car details and send fines to Mr A..This is one of the reasons why Mr A wants his plate back. So don't blame him

In the case where Mr B is adamant , kindly visit a nearby police station to report the matter and obtain police report to that effect ...This might be your saving grace in time of trouble caused by that plate number .

The annoying part is that some people will not return your number and they will go further to Sell same car with the plate number to another person .

Is true there is corruption in our system but all things been equal one might not escape certain situation . Anyone that bought that car will one day need the attention of the first owner
whose name is on autoreg..How is this possible? One day you will approach the authorities to effect change of ownership...they will call the first owner of the car to confirm if he sold the car to you ...Since he was badly treated by the person that bought it and sold it to you , he might not cooperate with the authorities ...frustrating your attempt to effect change of ownership . Be nice to whosever you bought car from especially if he is the first owner .

Last week I bought a car that has exchanged hands 3 times ...None of the buyers has done change of ownership before selling to another person.. You can imagine the stress involved in getting the name of the first owner through autoreg ...picking out his number to call with a view to ascertaining if he sold to the second buyer. If that stage is completed ...then you move to another point of ascertaining if the third buyer got it from the second buyer .Don't make the mistake of buying from the third seller if you have not verify the stages ...Along the line if there is a problem with the car ...you will know ...I mean if is a stolen car you will know

Finally, most of car owners that contact me have been a victim in the past cos they failed to do there due diligence before buying that car ..Don't be in a hurry to buy a car with inconsistent particulars...it will land you in trouble.

Thank.you for reading. Do contact me for your car registration ...car verification , vin query etc .you won't be disappointed .

(1) (Reply)

2010 Volkswagen Routan / 2015 Crosstour Reg / 7 Unusual Things That Leads To Deadly Car Accidents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.