Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? (20178 Views)

An International Company Is Looking For Workers From Home- Work From Anywhere / The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? / Please Find Attached My Resume: The Right Way To Say It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by GloriousGbola: 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2022
thedarkened:
I will be brief about this.

Earlier this week, we got the shock of our lives; we would be laid off at work by month end due to financial setbacks the company is going through.

Meanwhile, we figured it out ourselves after connecting some dots, thereafter we asked questions and our fear became a reality; we were never told prior to making our own findings.

We didn't prepare for all these, and majority have already set things in motion in their personal lives. It is indeed a shock!

Now the question is; is that the right approach when it comes to disengaging workers from service? Are we fairly treated?
Lalasticlala, please help move to front page for a wider view and comments.

It depends on on the industry, and the relationship bte mgt and staff, but this is the default behaviour. Because you cannot guarantee what staff will do if they have advance notice.

Esp if they are aggrieved. It is the default in banks.

As an example I have helped people planning their exit to evacuate their saved files etal from company laptops. This is something employers do not want.

It sucks but thems the breaks

1 Like

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by sofeo(m): 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2022
Alright!
Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by entrep88: 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2022
thedarkened:

Earlier this week, we got the shock of our lives; we would be laid off at work by month end due to financial setbacks the company is going through.

Meanwhile, we figured it out ourselves after connecting some dots, thereafter we asked questions and our fear became a reality; we were never told prior to making our own findings.

We didn't prepare for all these, and majority have already set things in motion in their personal lives. It is indeed a shock!

Now the question is; is that the right approach when it comes to disengaging workers from service? Are we fairly treated?
No Labour Law bro, even the few have been hijacked by jackals who happen to be the elites in the society. They happen to do and undo because they have their way in the system. You guys deserve a compensation if your employment has been between 3 month otherwise refer to your employment letter.

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by Helpfromabove1(m): 2:22pm On Oct 19, 2022
Y
Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by phemmyfour: 2:23pm On Oct 19, 2022
thedarkened:

It's what it is...... businesses n companies are struggling

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by rickleye: 2:23pm On Oct 19, 2022
thedarkened:

I will tell you what happened to me 2ce.
Warning ! I don Japa but common sense is supposed to be common now .

Scenario 1
We were all called into a town hall meeting were it was announced that company would be letting us all go. Unless
a. we were willing to accept less pay
b. we would migrate to the country but we will not be paid as expatiates. We would be paid slightly higher plus airfare and accommodation for 6 months.
c. We would be given a lump sum of money and leave the company.

I choose option C

Scenario 2
We had another town hall meeting in which they mentioned that due to financial constraints and business needs some departments would be merged and roles consolidated.
a. Wait and see if my job would remain.
b. jump ship

I choose B.

It is not your company's business that you bought a new car or built a new house based on expected revenue from salary as an employee. What happens if you die suddenly ? That debt passes onto your next of kin and hopefully you have a life/death policy in play.

Find out the labours laws regarding termination of employment. Professional companies would pay maybe 6months salary others you get 2 weeks pay and that's it.

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 19, 2022
saferoom:
This is not the right way
Lol grin, the tears is yet to start. Emi lo kan, abi grin.
Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by Karleb(m): 2:27pm On Oct 19, 2022
Another reason not to be loyal to any employer.

4 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by finoki: 2:28pm On Oct 19, 2022
thedarkened:

Yes, there was employment letter.

it is in the letter that he can terminate our appointment at will at anytime. However, there isn't prior notification which gives us an opportunity to prepare ahead.

That's like 2 weeks notice... That's fair from the part of the management.... It's more humane to let you people go than to owe salaries, trust me, it's a painful decision from the management too.
Relax Chief, when a door closes, another one opens up ...

3 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by livinbygrace: 2:29pm On Oct 19, 2022
No be Una Dey Find office work?Abeg ?go fund another work,deal with it !
Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by 3rockets(m): 2:30pm On Oct 19, 2022
Earlier in April 2022 I was disengaged from work. There were over 250 of us, all supervisors. I was fortunate to be privy to the information 2 weeks before then. Others weren't. Imagine the shock for those who have put in over 15 years. I thought of it and wandered how else they could have done it. But truth is they did it the best way the could besides it is a bank. They compensated meagrely but they could have done better. There is no other way of disengagement except actually asking you to go whenever they want. They wouldn't give you prior notice, what is If you decided to run away with there money? Infact, that Eve of the disengagement, I learnt everyone affected were disabled from the computers!

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by brandsoncharlie: 2:30pm On Oct 19, 2022
thedarkened:

When oil rig companies in the USA are looking for workers with or no field experience with better pay, Nigeria is laying off stupid continent called Africa.
See what this American said today :
Everything is online now it’s not like before back in 2006 I came straight out of high school took a bus amd just walked into a stripes asked for work and got on with Oryan drilling same hour
Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by swintec: 2:31pm On Oct 19, 2022
Our company also disengaged us citing the same reason, but gave us 2 months notice. It is a school. At the end of third term they told us that we may not resume by September. That was it. Everyone is to be paid 1 month salary for every year he/she have sarved in the school, up to six years. If you were with them for 10 years you will still be paid six months salary as severance package. This was the promise. The problem now is that nobody has been paid a dime since then. They promise to pay in due course. We don't know how to follow them now it is two months and counting.

Jaftee:
what I am going to say is not an excuse or justification, but one of the top reason employers terminate without prior notice is to avoid compromise. some employees cannot handle the new and will resolve to pay back with attitude, sometimes compromise

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by Gkemz: 2:39pm On Oct 19, 2022
This is why I tell people, if you're working for a private firm, you don't have a job. You contract can just be terminated without you commiting any wrong.

5 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by Bankowner: 2:46pm On Oct 19, 2022
Is there ever a right time for a company to disengage staff?

My advice to the worker is simple, save as much as you can whilst you still have that job. Invest if you can too.

Update your Resume as often as possible and push it out. That job can leave you at any time. Don't worry if you don't get anything immediately, it's like fishing, it takes patience and you never know when the hook will drag in a big fish.

3 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by awa(m): 2:52pm On Oct 19, 2022
thedarkened:

it is in the letter that he can terminate our appointment at will at anytime. However, there isn't prior notification which gives us an opportunity to prepare ahead.

Bros move on and forget this one because it is gone. The terms of the agreement is clear enough. Just ask God to provide you with something better

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by Neddyogu(m): 2:52pm On Oct 19, 2022
thedarkened:

There u have it bro, sorry but I dont think u can sue. A better job will come

1 Like

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by Treasure17(m): 2:54pm On Oct 19, 2022
richidinho:
Nigeria, because of scarcity of job, we take anything that comes our way
A case of when the desirable is not available, the available become desirable. At OP, the organisation did the right thing by carrying you guys along before the deal day and besides it was not outrightly spelt out how your contract can be terminated. Cheers man.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by lomprico(m): 2:59pm On Oct 19, 2022
thedarkened:

They gave you 2weeks
Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by DadaHammed: 3:21pm On Oct 19, 2022
BATified2023:
With your second reply up there’s it’s so unfortunate that u have nothing against them cos it was stated clearly that u can b fired anytime your services are no longer need

The best advice I can give u now is just prepare your exit plan n I don’t think it will b reasonable to start job hunting again cos similar scenario could play out n it will b like moving in circles

If u have savings this is the best time to put it to use,think of a business u can start small n try n raise capital then u are good to go

Don’t forget God bro

Mr urchin, you forgot to blame Ibos for the loss of his job. grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by Emeka71(m): 3:26pm On Oct 19, 2022
thedarkened:

Then the employer is not liable.

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by BATified2023: 3:35pm On Oct 19, 2022
DadaHammed:

Mr urchin, you forgot to blame Ibos for the loss of his job. grin
u people are inconsequential just like buhari rubbished u n won election twice
Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by LordReed(m): 3:41pm On Oct 19, 2022
thedarkened:

The statement means your boss can terminate your appointment without notice so giving you to month end is actually more than what is stated in your letter. My only hope for you is that you get your full month's salary and whatever benefits accrue from your disengagement.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by Mathain19(m): 3:45pm On Oct 19, 2022
Funny enough, most of this employer of labour disengage innocent people from work for a salary that's not up to a $100 a month, exploit you, with all manner of bad attitude towards you only to retain gossip base on favoritism...
I feel your Pain...

3 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by Psoul(m): 4:29pm On Oct 19, 2022
thedarkened:

They should inform you within a specific period. If they could not do this, they will pay a certain amount in lieu. Same way you have to inform ur employer for your intention to quit in 3 months advance. Failure to do that, they will deduct a certain amount from ur terminal benefit in lieu of pre information.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by nobilie: 4:40pm On Oct 19, 2022
Take it ir leave it, if employer give 6 months notice of disengagement from work, workers will still complain. Reason is, salary is never enough and before month end, you are already owing. Most workers slave for the company they work for, from teachers to bankers, telecom, oil workers etc. I have seen that market women are more comfortable than office workers. They live low and save while office workers live high to impress whoever, owe debt of money, wears, school fees, rent etc.
My advice, you will not die. First adjust lower, pray to God for direction, inform your wife and children to prepare for what is coming. Move out and be courageous.
Dont forget to talk to your friends.
Nothing do u.

4 Likes

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by jnat: 4:40pm On Oct 19, 2022
Softmirror:

ARE JOBS SCARCE IN NIGERIA? THE ANSWER IS NO! ARE YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN TOO LAZY TO WORK? THE ANSWER IS A CAPITAL YES!

Please, I'm not lazy, give job to do.
Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by cigaricon(m): 4:47pm On Oct 19, 2022
Brendaniel:
At the end of the month if the company is not able to pay you, you will still be the one to come and complain, at least they told you ahead, the truth is if a company is not doing well the responsible thing is to disengage workers by notify them ahead of time which they have done, some companies stay afloat from the total of what they make at the end of the month .

It is painful but also try to look at things too from an employers view

You obviously did not read the post. Perhaps just the first few lines
Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by Brendaniel: 4:48pm On Oct 19, 2022
cigaricon:

You obviously did not read the post. Perhaps just the first few lines

I read the post in full, I think it is you that did not read it...
Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by mechanics(m): 5:12pm On Oct 19, 2022
The truth is that company work is not a permanent work, one can be sacked at any time, but if your company has union, they can fight for you and your colleagues.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Right Way of Disengaging Workers from service? by lereinter(m): 5:18pm On Oct 19, 2022
Effect of buhari osinbajo government

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Professional CV and Cover Letter Templates For Job Seekers / After Finishing Nysc, It Will Look As If You Lost A Job / Did Anyone Receive Any Notification For An Aptitude Test From First Bank?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.