Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,066 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

What Is Hamartiology? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Hamartiology? (3581 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 4:29pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amujale:

Yes, olden days Greeks and Roman and their contributions into what is known in Western society as Classical antiquity.

Which Aristotle is part of, centuries before nicene Christianity was created in rome.

1 Like

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by triplechoice(m): 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2022
Maynman:

Okay, read slowly.
The reason harmatia is used and studied in Christianity or the church is because, New Testament was written in Greek.

Before Christianity was created in rome, greek philosophers centuries before, already used the term!

We are not talking about the reason for it's use in Christianity or it's origin, that's beside the point, but what it has come to mean as used in discussing church theology or hamartiology

You seem hung up on the etymology of the word and don't understand that the meaning of words are not fixed laws. Through usage, words can evolve into new forms or given different or additional definition that may be far removed from it's
origin.

What is harmatia as it's understood within the church? Your answer please

1 Like

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 4:33pm On Oct 19, 2022
triplechoice:

We are not talking about the reason for it's use in Christianity or it's origin, that's beside the point, but what it has come to mean as used in discussing church theology or hamartiology

You seem hung up on the etymology of the word and don't understand that the meaning of words are not fixed laws. Through usage, words can evolve into new forms or given different or additional definition that may be far removed from it's
origin.

What is harmatia as it's understood within the church? Your answer please
You are yet to understand, because the picture is not even talking about the etymology of “harmatia” but HOW IT IS BEEN USED IN THE CHURCH.

Christianity was created years after jesus had died. As you see harmatia was used to replace “chata” in Hebrew.
What does “chata” mean in Hebrew?SIN
This is explanatory enough, read.
Can’t you see in “Christian theology”
New Testament explained jesus teachings, jesus spoke hebrew and Aramaic.
Is the church teaching a different thing from jesus teachings?

1 Like

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Amujale(m): 4:58pm On Oct 19, 2022
Maynman:

Christianity was created in rome.

Christianity was created by the Romans, however, it wasn't necessarily created in Rome.

I know that sounds a tad contradictory, but it isn't.

Christianity was created under the auspices of the Eastern part of the Roman Empire, more commonly known as Byzantine.

According to Roman history, there was two parts of the Roman empire, the Western and Eastern, this would later develop into what is commonly known amongst the foreign extremist ideologies today, as 'the schism'.

1 Like

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 5:01pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amujale:

Christianity was created by the Romans, however, it wasn't necessarily created in Rome.

I know that sounds a tad contradictory, but it isn't.

Christianity was created under the auspices of the Eastern part of the Roman Empire, more commonly known as Byzantine.

According to Roman history, there was two parts of the Roman empire, the Western and Eastern, this came about due to what is commonly known amongst the foreign extremist ideologies as 'the schism'.

I meant, nicene Christianity was created in rome.
What you are talking about is “chrestianity”.

The “great schism” is the separation of the Roman Catholic from Protestant.

1 Like

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Amujale(m): 5:04pm On Oct 19, 2022
Maynman:

I meant, nicene Christianity was created in rome.
What you are talking about is “chrestianity”.

Yes, Nicene Christianity was created under the auspices of the Romans at Constantinople. i.e ala Contantine (I)
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 5:06pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amujale:

Yes, Nicene Christianity was created under the auspices of the Romans at Constantinople. i.e ala Contantine (I)

That’s where iesus chrestus and the New Testament was created.

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by triplechoice(m): 5:09pm On Oct 19, 2022
Maynman:

You are yet to understand, because the picture is not even talking about the etymology of “harmatia” but HOW IT IS BEEN USED IN THE CHURCH.

Christianity was created years after jesus had died. As you see harmatia was used to replace “chata” in Hebrew.
What does “chata” mean in Hebrew?SIN
This is explanatory enough, read.
Can’t you see in “Christian theology”
New Testament explained jesus teachings, jesus spoke hebrew and Aramaic.
Is the church teaching a different thing from jesus teachings?

I have seen the screenshot ,but you're missing something.

Is harmatia a Christian theology ? If it's, how? Explain

I am not a Christian, but understand this better than you through past association with the rellgion. You have an outsider perspective of the whole thing.

What's correctly understood by those who use it in Christianity, is that hamartiology is part of church theology, while harmatia is just the concept of sin that is connected to it.

You're discussing what you don't fully understand. Those Google research and screenshots are not helping you.
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Amujale(m): 5:09pm On Oct 19, 2022
Maynman:

The “great schism” is the separation of the Roman Catholic from Protestant.

Not really, 'the schism' occurred in 1054 CE and was the separation of the Western Roman empire (Roman Catholic) from their Eastern Roman empire counterpart (Eastern Othodox).

The Catholic - Protestant split, is a more recent occurrence.

1 Like

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 5:11pm On Oct 19, 2022
triplechoice:

I have seen the screenshot ,but you're missing something.

Is harmatia a Christian theology ? If it's, how? Explain

I am not a Christian, but understand this better than you through past association with the rellgion. You have an outsider perspective of the whole thing.

What's correctly understood by those who use it in Christianity, is that hamartiology is part of church theology, while harmatia is just the concept of sin that is connected to it.

You're discussing what you don't fully understand. Those Google research and screenshots are not helping you.
Ooh man.
Is “sin” a Christian theology?
What’s sin in Hebrew? What’s sin in greek?
“Sin” is not a Hebrew or greek word.
The bible was written in greek and hebrew.

Harmatia is not concept of sin, Harmatia literally means SIN in Christian theology.
Harmatiaology is the study of SIN(harmatia)

I don’t know why you are finding it hard to understand that harmatiaology is the study of harmatia lol.

You are the one trying so hard to understand a simple term. Stop assuming and be factual.

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Amujale(m): 5:14pm On Oct 19, 2022
Maynman:

That’s where iesus chrestus and the New Testament was created.

Jesus is a fictional character.

The printing press was invented in 1439.
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 5:14pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amujale:

Not really, 'the schism' occurred in 1054 CE and was the separation of the Western Roman empire (Roman Catholic from their Easter Roman empire counterpart ( Eastern Othodox).

The Catholic - Protestant split, is a more recent occurrence.

Okay, “the great schism” Separation of the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox.
The Roman Catholic are more practical with their religion, while orthoDOXY from DOXA practice more of faith and belief.
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 5:15pm On Oct 19, 2022
Amujale:

Jesus is a fictional character.

The printing press was invented in 1439.

Iesus chrestus is a fictional character.
Iesus is a common latin name gotten from Yeshua and a lot of jews bear that.

Printing press for?
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by triplechoice(m): 5:52pm On Oct 19, 2022
Maynman:

Ooh man.
Is “sin” a Christian theology?
What’s sin in Hebrew? What’s sin in greek?
“Sin” is not a Hebrew or greek word.
I don’t know why you are finding it hard to understand that harmatiaology is the study of harmatia lol.

Harmatiology, not harmatiaology wrongly spelt by you, is the study of sin, harmatia. Ok

The word,Sin has it's origin in old English/Latin.

So who are those currently involved in studying harmatia
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 5:56pm On Oct 19, 2022
triplechoice:

Harmatiology, not harmatiaology wrongly spelt by you, is the study of the concept of sin, harmatia. Ok

The word,Sin has it's origin in old English/Latin.

So who are those currently involved in studying harmatiology?

That’s a basic error, you are trying too hard. Its correctly spelt in all the pictures I’ve been sending you if you can just read it.

Harmatiology is the study of harmatia.
Harmatiology is the study of sin.
Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek.
And they use cheta for sin in hebrew, and harmatia for sin in greek.

This term is used in christian theology, who is supposed to study it?
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by triplechoice(m): 5:58pm On Oct 19, 2022
Maynman:

That’s a basic error, you are trying too hard.
Harmatiology is the study of harmatia.
Harmatiology is the study of sin.

This term is used in christian theology, who is supposed to study it?

Then what is sin? Just a word?
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 5:59pm On Oct 19, 2022
triplechoice:

Then what is sin? Just a word?
An English word with a meaning.
Just as cheta and harmatia has a meaning lol

The bible used by Christians was not originally written in English, these are later translations.
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by triplechoice(m): 6:02pm On Oct 19, 2022
Maynman:

An English word with a meaning.
Just as cheta and harmatia has a meaning lol

The bible used by Christians was not originally written in English, this are later translations.
An English word with a meaning. What is the meaning?
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 6:03pm On Oct 19, 2022
triplechoice:

An English word with a meaning. What is the meaning?

This is getting lame.

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by triplechoice(m): 7:27pm On Oct 19, 2022
Maynman:

This is getting lame.

I will respond more to this later when I am less busy.

But in the maintime does the word, sin, mean a failure in Christianity?. Yes or no

The op is concerned with sin as Christians understand it and not any other

It appears to mean you're running away from something.

I will be back to point this out

1 Like

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 7:29pm On Oct 19, 2022
triplechoice:

I will respond more to this later when I am less busy.

But in the meantime does the word, sin, mean a failure in Christianity?. Yes or no

The op is concerned with sin as Christians understand it and not any other

It appears to mean you're running away from something.

I will be back to point this out
“Sin” is not a Christian word.
The New Testament created by earlier Christian was written in greek, and harmatia was used to replace hebrew cheta.

Stop assuming and start being factual.

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by triplechoice(m): 7:38pm On Oct 19, 2022
Maynman:

“Sin” is not a Christian word.

I know that and don't think there's really anything like Christian word. Christianity is practiced by humans not aliens that may use non human language to communicate.

I am concerned with the meaning of the word, sin, a human language, in Christianity where the word is currently and mostly used .
I said I will be back. Be patient

1 Like

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 7:42pm On Oct 19, 2022
triplechoice:

I know that and don't think there's really anything like Christian word. Christianity is practiced by humans not aliens that may use non human language to communicate.

I am concerned with the meaning of the word, sin, a human language, in Christianity where the word is currently and mostly used .
I said I will be back. Be patient
The Old Testament talks about “cheta” which translates to sin in ENGLISH LANGUAGE , and the greek equivalent is “harmatia” which translates to sin in ENGLISH LANGUAGE.
Old Testament was written in Hebrew.
New Testament was written in Greek.

Listen, “Sin” is an English word, the latins, french, greek or Hebrew people that are Christians won’t call it “sin”.
“Sin” is the English translation of Greek “harmatia” in the Christian theology.
This is basic.

I replied to your mention, I’m chilled, don’t fret, you are trying too hard!
I overestimated you, I didn’t know you were this basic, I’ll come down to your level now.

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Amujale(m): 2:14pm On Oct 20, 2022
Maynman:

Iesus chrestus is a fictional character.
Iesus is a common latin name gotten from Yeshua and a lot of jews bear that.

Yeshua, Jesus, whatever you want to call that character, the bottom line is that it's solely based on fiction.

1 Like

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 2:19pm On Oct 20, 2022
Amujale:

Yeshua, Jesus, whatever you want to call that character, the bottom line is that it's solely based on fiction.
well, jesus of Nazareth is different from iesus chrestus.
The story in the New Testament is a mixture of many characters including judas of Galilee.
We know that the early Chrestians used alot of Josephus work to write the New Testament..

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Amujale(m): 2:28pm On Oct 20, 2022
Maynman:

well, jesus of Nazareth is different from iesus chrestus...

It really doesn't matter, they're both representative of the same foreign extremist ideology.

It's pretty simple, we MUST bin all these foreign extremist ideologies and concentrate our focus on reality.

And the reality here is that our history comprises of agriculture, arts, architecture, commerce, economics, engineering, fishing, law, mathematics, medical sciences, metallurgy, mining, philosophy, physical sciences, shipbuilding e.t.c

These are our bread and butter, not foreign extremist ideologies, and the forementioned disciplines are the things we ought to return to studying conscientiously.

1 Like

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 2:31pm On Oct 20, 2022
Amujale:

It really doesn't matter, they're both representative of the same foreign extremist ideology.

It's pretty simple, we MUST bin all these foreign extremist ideologies and concentrate our focus on reality.

And the reality here is that our history comprises of agriculture, arts, architecture, commerce, economics, engineering, fishing, law, mathematics, medical sciences, metallurgy, mining, philosophy, physical sciences, shipbuilding e.t.c

These are our bread and butter, not foreign extremist ideologies, and the forementioned disciplines are the things we ought to return to studying conscientiously.
Jesus of Nazareth called nazarene, are gnostic teachers. There’s nothing extreme about them.

You are right about the latter.
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Amujale(m): 2:36pm On Oct 20, 2022
Maynman:

There’s nothing extreme about them.

There's nothing exteme about who? About a fictional character?

Those are fictional characters, it doesn't matter whether you think the character portrayed extremity or not, the point is to bin fakery and falsehood and concentrate our focus on reality.

1 Like

Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 2:39pm On Oct 20, 2022
Amujale:

There's nothing exteme about who? About a fictional character?

Those are fictional characters, it doesn't matter whether you think the character portrayed extremity or not.
Fictional characters you read in the bible.
Nazarene are gnostic teachers, early church fathers use their teachings and added it to their book, they also use plato and Aristotle teachings and added it to the book.
The Old Testament is for Judaism, early church fathers also use their books too..

Bible literally means books(collection of books).
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Amujale(m): 2:47pm On Oct 20, 2022
Maynman:
gnostic teachers, early church fathers use their teachings.

Yes, and doesn't that just prove that the foreign extremist ideology is a Roman mockery of the Hellenists.

There's no such thing as a Nazarene. There was gnosticism and this peaked in the late Hellenistic period.
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Maynman: 2:48pm On Oct 20, 2022
Amujale:

Yes, and doesn't that just prove that the foreign extremist ideology is a Roman mockery of the Hellenists.

There's no such thing as a Nazarene. There was gnosticism and this peaked in the late Hellenistic period.

There’s a lot about Nazarene that even goes back to the Sumerian period.
Gnostic literally means knowledge.
Gnosticism is a created doctrine from Christianity.
Re: What Is Hamartiology? by Amujale(m): 2:56pm On Oct 20, 2022
Maynman:

Gnosticism is a created doctrine from Christianity.

You guys won't stop bastardising history, will you?

Not really, the people known as the Gnostic were the Hellenist and they were mainly Greek as expressed earlier.

The Roman version of 'Christianity didn't even exits during the late Hellenistic period, that's the whole point.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. / The Bread Of Life / What Does The Bible Mean Whenever It Uses This Word?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.