Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Gbam! - Who Invented It? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Gbam! - Who Invented It? (22643 Views)

Black Igbo Month Dr Felix Oragwu Who Invented The Famous Biafra Mass Killer Bomb / Do You Know That Electricity Was Invented By NIGERIANS? / African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by Ihuomadinihu: 1:53pm On Jun 21, 2015
scholes0:

Well, neither am I interested in Gbam's use in Igbo... And you can't be pulling me in to argue with you on that.
I am interested in the way it is used in Yoruba and everyday Nigerian lingo, as a Sound, Exclamation or onomatopoeia.

Gbam imitates the sound of an explosion or a smash , something clashing against another- In other words, an events that involves the release or exchange or energy Etc... Which is How you can effectively use it as an Onomatopoeia enhancing normal speech.
Kettle calling pot Black. Am more interested in how it is used in Igbo language by extention in Nigeria. Gbam is an affirmative word in Igbo language,which shows the path of rightfulness and aggrement: I must travel to USA tomorrow....and my friend says Gbam! Gbam in responds to my speech shows affirmation and concord! This is the mainstream meaning of Gbam. Anyother meaning or derivative is null and void here. I can't say i must travel to USA tomorrow and you use Gbam as an Onamatopia which is unnecessary. Use Onamatopia for what? Does an Onamatopia enhance the fact that i need to travel to USA tomorrow? Gbam here means that you support and affairm the fact that i must do what i intend doing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by scholes0(m): 1:58pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Kettle calling pot Black. Am more interested in how it is used in Igbo language by extention in Nigeria. Gbam is an affirmative word in Igbo language,which shows rightness and aggrement: I must travel to USA tomorrow.... Gbam in responds to my speech,which shows affirmation and concord. This is the mainstream meaning of Gbam. Anyother meaning or derivative is null and void here.

You are talking about how it is used in Igbo and by transference, "Igbo English"
I am talking about about how it is used in Yoruba, and by extension Lagosian, South Western and Nigerian speech.

Another meaning of Gbam is null & Void to me as well... Pick your own arena, and choose your fight there.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by Ihuomadinihu: 1:58pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Kettle calling pot Black. Am more interested in how it is used in Igbo language by extention in Nigeria. Gbam is an affirmative word in Igbo language,which shows the path of rightfulness and aggrement: I must travel to USA tomorrow....and my friend says Gbam! Gbam in responds to my speech shows affirmation and concord! This is the mainstream meaning of Gbam. Anyother meaning or derivative is null and void here. I can't say i must travel to USA tomorrow and you use Gbam as an Onamatopia which is unnecessary. Use Onamatopia for what? Does an Onamatopia enhance the fact that i need to travel to USA tomorrow? Gbam here means that you support and affairm the fact that i must do what i intend doing.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
scholes0:

You are talking about how it is used in Igbo and by transference, "Igbo English"
I am talking about about how it is used in Yoruba, and by extension Lagosian, South Western and Nigerian speech.

Another meaning of Gbam is null & Void to me as well... Pick your own arena, and choose your fight there.
That is what you should have said earlier on. Gbam as an onamatopia in Yoruba and not the Igbo derived Affirmative Gbam used in Popular Nigerian speech. Eish! I tire for your arguement style! You are the one making Gbam a local Yoruba word. In Nigeria, Gbam is a word for affirmation not Onomatopia.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by scholes0(m): 2:04pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

That is what you should have said earlier on. Gbam as an onamatopia in Yoruba but not the Igbo derived Affirmative Gbam in Nigeria. Ish!

well, The way I have heard Igbos use it most of the time is even 'Igbam'.... which comes at the end of somebody else's statement,, to show support.

Yorubas use it as an onomatopoeia inserted into everyday speech as enhancers. Otherwise, as just Exclamations.
So, case closed.... smiley
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:07pm On Jun 21, 2015
scholes0:

well, The way I have heard Igbos use it most of the time is even 'Igbam'.... which comes at the end of somebody else's statement,, to show support.

Yorubas use it as an onomatopoeia inserted into everyday speech as enhancers. Otherwise, as just Exclamations.
So, case closed.... smiley
Case closed. Gbam is not an Onomatopia:p. Sorry, Igbo and Nigerians use Gbam for affirmation. Stop draging a lost course,go and pick your opponents elsewherecheesy
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by scholes0(m): 2:10pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Case closed. Gbam is not an Onomatopia:p. Sorry, Igbo and Nigerians use Gbam for affirmation. Stop draging a lost course,go and pick your opponents elsewherecheesy

No, Just Igbo Nigerians.
Thank You.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by scholes0(m): 2:12pm On Jun 21, 2015
ChinenyeN:
I don't get what all the contention is about. "Gbam" could have easily come from any West African language. It's use and construction is all too recognizable. In fact, I wouldn't even be surprised if "Gbam" developed independently in our different languages, but yet carried the same/similar meaning.

Well Said, Chinenyen.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:19pm On Jun 21, 2015
scholes0:

No, Just Igbo Nigerians.
Thank You.
Love it or hate it, Gbam that is used in a Nigerian context has nothing to do with Onomatopia.
Gbam in this context is used to show affirmation. If i say Nairaland is fun. And Mr Z says Gbam,he is affirming that Nairaland is fun which nonesense Onomatopia makes sense here? Lol.
You attacked Bigfrancis for claiming that Gbam is Onomatopia. How strange!
In Igbo,i can say 'Door dara Gbam'
:DEither way,you lose.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:22pm On Jun 21, 2015
Why are you drawing the other guy into this? Be man enough and stand for yourself.
While Gbam may be seen in other African languages, Nigerian Gbam connotes Affirmation.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by scholes0(m): 2:26pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Love it or hate it, Gbam that used in a Nigerian context has nothing to do with Onomatopia.
Gbam in this context is used to show affirmation. If i say Nairaland is fun. And Mr Z says Gbam,he is affirming that Nairaland is fun which nonesense Onomatopia makes sense here? Lol.

Of course it is!
Gbam is not a word, neither is it an action... It is a sound that enhances speech.

Gbam fits it as a sound denoting support because of what it represents. An energetic act. (Onomatopoetic functionalism)
That was even why someone mentioned the slamming sound of a door on the first page..... Annd an Igbo (looking at the discussion through his own cultural prism was laughing at him) Go back and see.
Okay.... Where would you place gbosa?
btw: My fingers are beginning to ache now jare.....
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
scholes0:

Of course it is!
Gbam is not a word, neither is it an action... It is a sound that enhances speech.

Gbam fits it as a sound denoting support because of what it represents. An energetic act. (Onomatopoetic functionalism)
That was even why someone mentioned the slamming sound of a door on the first page..... Annd an Igbo (looking at the discussion through his own cultural prism was laughing at him) Go back and see.
Lol, Igbo Gbam is the only functional aspect of Gbam in Nigerian English/Pidgin.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:29pm On Jun 21, 2015
scholes0:

Of course it is!

It has to ache,snice you insist on going round in Circles.
Gbosa is an onomatopia. But i can't say i must eat now and you say Gbosa in response. Lord have mercy!
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by scholes0(m): 2:31pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

It has to ache,snice you insist on going round in Circles.
Gbosa is an onomatopia. But i can't say i must eat now and you say Gbosa in response. Lord have mercy!

I had to... since you find it so hard grasping the most elementary points ....
it's like trying to explain a concept to a toddler.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:33pm On Jun 21, 2015
scholes0:
You guyz are silly, "Gbam" is an exclamation that has no particular origin. It could have come from any language with a Gb sound in it, or being used simultaneously by various languages at the same time. It sounds Yoruba, it sounds Igbo as well... stop fighting over trivialities.
It is like arguing which language "owns"

Ah!, Eehya!, Oh!, Wooo!, Gbosa! etc ..... it could have been used by various peoples speaking various tongues.
Didn't you just say it has no origin according to you. It is now Onomatopia in Yoruba. Even the onomatopia reference is useless in a Nigerian parlence.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by scholes0(m): 2:35pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Didn't you just say it has no origin according to you. It is now Onomatopia in Yoruba. Even the onomatopia reference is useless in a Nigerian parlence.

No Origin =/= No particular Origin!.
Omo you smart die .....
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:36pm On Jun 21, 2015
scholes0:

I had to... since you find it so hard grasping the most elementary points ....
it's like trying to explain a concept to a toddler.
It's your thick skulls that prevented explanations from penetrating through it.
cheesy. From no it is not onomatopia to it is an energetic onomatopia in yoruba. I laugh in akoko dialect.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:38pm On Jun 21, 2015
scholes0:

No Origin =/= No particular Origin!.
Omo you smart die .....
Being smart in shuting somebody's submission down and slowly stole his submission to fit your explanations. I dislike it.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by scholes0(m): 2:47pm On Jun 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Being smart in shuting somebody's submission down and slowly stole his submission to fit your explanations. I dislike it.

Go back to my original post on the thread.
I never attributed the exclamation 'Gbam" to any particular ethnic group..... I favour a multipolar origin hypothesis.
If you think Gbam is solely Igbo, then I respect your opinion.
Haba!
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:53pm On Jun 21, 2015
scholes0:

Go back to my original post on the thread.
I never attributed the exclamation 'Gbam" to any particular ethnic group..... I favour a multipolar origin hypothesis.
If you think Gbam is solely Igbo, then I respect your opinion.
Haba!
Ngwa nu! It just means Support, Correct, Affirmation, Truth and Concord in today's context. Ka odi.
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by 0monnak0da: 8:20am On Dec 21, 2019
Obiagu1:
This is a silly argument.
What does 'gbam' mean in Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba?

If in any of these languages it does not mean agreement, complete, then it does not belong to that language.
In Yoruba "mo gba" or "mi gba" means I agree
Re: Gbam! - Who Invented It? by 0monnak0da: 8:25am On Dec 21, 2019
scholes0:

Of course it is!

Sorry mate gbam IS a word now. Unless the word "word" has changed in meaning

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Russian Kids Dancing Traditional Folk Music At Nigerian Independence Day / Fulani Siddika Sanusi And Abubakar Umar Kurfi's Kamu Traditional Ceremony / Who Are These Yorubas?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.