Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi (2427 Views)

I Just Bought This Animal From Some Boys, How Do I Prepare It? / How To Prepare Ekuru/ofuloju (white Moimoi And Stew) / Complete Preparation Of A Mouth-Watering Monitor Lizard (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Bobbyjay001(m): 11:44am On Oct 20, 2022
Moimoi is a delicacy enjoyed mostly in South West states in Nigeria (my own assumption o). And despite the stress that comes with it's preparation, I still find time to prepare it for my family (my wife, children and myself included). Thanks to momma who taught me how to prepare virtually all delicacies in Yoruba land. There's no food I can't prepare myself unless I didn't grow up eating it.

Momma once told me whenever a woman in her menstrual period touches or contributes in preparation of moimoi, the moimoi won't cook to palatability and will be watery.

I never forgot this myth till this last Saturday.

As I once said, whenever we are to prepare moimoi, at home mostly on Saturdays, I take over the preparation from peeling to cooking till it's done.

But this Saturday was a difference. I have removed the shaft, grinded and was scooping the moimoi into nylon when I had to attend to somethings. I ask wifey to take over the preparation. Both of us had forgotten she was on her period. She took over and cooked while I attended to somethings.

Later, when it's obvious the moimoi would have done, wifey served me with my children. Behold, the moimoi was watery like it's not done, tasteless and marshy.

I had to start thinking what may went wrong because I had prepared moimoi more than a thousand time which tasted nice and good. My children also use to look forward to every Saturday when we consume this food with pap.

I rammed and cracked my brain till I remembered wifey was on her period. When I told her, she felt sorry and we all ate our darling moimoi like that in silence.

Now, I believe the myth which I never believed before that when a woman is on her monthly flow, she MUSTN'T participate in the preparation of this delicacy called moimoi.

Who also believes or has had experience on this subject?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by budaatum: 11:52am On Oct 20, 2022
Haba! Mama Lamoyin had 4 daughters of period having age. They cooked moimoi to sell every day with all of them chipping in. She would never accept such a stupid excuse that you can't cook moimoi because it's your period.

Find a time when your wife is in period and do the moimoi properly with her and return to tell us the scientifically deduced outcome instead of the silly story above please.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Bobbyjay001(m): 12:15pm On Oct 20, 2022
budaatum:
Haba! Mama Lamoyin had 4 daughters of period having age. They cooked moimoi to sell every day with all of them chipping in. She would never accept such a stupid excuse that you can't cook moimoi because it's your period.

Find a time when your wife is in period and do the moimoi properly with her and return to tell us the scientifically deduced outcome instead of the silly story above please.

Were mama Lamoyin's daughter on their period at the same time?

2 Likes

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by budaatum: 12:24pm On Oct 20, 2022
Bobbyjay001:

Were mama Lamoyin's daughter on their period at the same time?

It only needed one of Mama Lamoyin's daughters to be on her period for ops nonsenses to be true which it very obviously isn't.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by RoyalBlu(f): 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2022
I'm not here about any myth being proven true...

I'm here to say you're doing well.

You go through all the motions of making moimoi for your family over and over again.
That's commendable kind sir.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Bobbyjay001(m): 12:44pm On Oct 20, 2022
budaatum:

It only needed one of Mama Lamoyin's daughters to be on her period for ops nonsenses to be true which it very obviously isn't.

Go back to mama Lamoyin's house and ask if any of her daughters on her period helped in preparing moimoi undecided

Oga, this thing is true but I don't want you to believe it.
Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by budaatum: 1:00pm On Oct 20, 2022
Bobbyjay001:

Go back to mama Lamoyin's house and ask if any of her daughters on her period helped in preparing moimoi undecided

Oga, this thing is true but I don't want you to believe it.

I wonder why I must go to Mama Lamoyin's house to ask her daughters when I have successfully prepared moimoi during my own period.

You keep believing. I'm sure your wife appreciates you making the moimoi. And in case you eat pounded yam, she can't make it for you a week before and after her period too because the yam will not pound.

In fact, it's very true too that if she cooks for you at all during her period you will eat and remain hungry, so cook your own food from now is my advice to you.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by gloryhomemaker(f): 1:01pm On Oct 20, 2022
Bobbyjay001:
Moimoi is a delicacy enjoyed mostly in South West states in Nigeria (my own assumption o). And despite the stress that comes with it's preparation, I still find time to prepare it for my family (my wife, children and myself included). Thanks to momma who taught me how to prepare virtually all delicacies in Yoruba land. There's no food I can't prepare myself unless I didn't grow up eating it.

Momma once told me whenever a woman in her menstrual period touches or contributes in preparation of moimoi, the moimoi won't cook to palatability and will be watery.

I never forgot this myth till this last Saturday.

As I once said, whenever we are to prepare moimoi, at home mostly on Saturdays, I take over the preparation from peeling to cooking till it's done.

But this Saturday was a difference. I have removed the shaft, grinded and was scooping the moimoi into nylon when I had to attend to somethings. I ask wifey to take over the preparation. Both of us had forgotten she was on her period. She took over and cooked while I attended to somethings.

Later, when it's obvious the moimoi would have done, wifey served me with my children. Behold, the moimoi was watery like it's not done, tasteless and marshy.

I had to start thinking what may went wrong because I had prepared moimoi more than a thousand time which tasted nice and good. My children also use to look forward to every Saturday when we consume this food with pap.

I rammed and cracked my brain till I remembered wifey was on her period. When I told her, she felt sorry and we all ate our darling moimoi like that in silence.

Now, I believe the myth which I never believed before that when a woman is on her monthly flow, she MUSTN'T participate in the preparation of this delicacy called moimoi.

Who also believes or has had experience on this subject?

Well done sir for taking the time and effort to prepare moi moi for you and your family.

I have not heard or observed this myth before but what I have come to realise especially with food and its preparation is that our parents knew some hacks and tips that made their food taste extra delicious with little ingredients.

The challenge is that some of these information were not passed to the younger generation or were passed and we didn't take note or observe keenly enough.
Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 20, 2022
Yorubas and their superstitious beliefs!

Please forget that crap. It's not true.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by mariahAngel(f): 4:55pm On Oct 20, 2022
Op, maybe your wife added more water to the bean batter when you left it to her. Ask her.

Are you saying Iya oni moin-moin will not sell moin-moin for 4-6 days of every month she's on her period? Her business will collapse naa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 20, 2022
Nigerians and rubbish superstitions, chai!

It's not rocket science that if you cook any food and put too much water in it, it'll be watery. The same thing goes for moin moin, which's why you've to be careful with the water you're adding to the blender (or grinder) when blending (or grinding) the beans. YOU [who grinded the beans] must have added too much water to the grinder when you were grinding. But somehow you're blaming your wife's period, smh.

I make moin moin just about every other week. I've probably made it at different times when on my period, and it's always perfect and delicious everytime.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 20, 2022
smelly thread,yuck
Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Kobojunkie: 10:46pm On Oct 20, 2022
Bobbyjay001:
Later, when it's obvious the moimoi would have done, wifey served me with my children. Behold, the moimoi was watery like it's not done, tasteless and marshy. I had to start thinking what may went wrong because I had prepared moimoi more than a thousa.....Now, I believe the myth which I never believed before that when a woman is on her monthly flow, she MUSTN'T participate in the preparation of this delicacy called moimoi. Who also believes or has had experience on this subject?
Nonsense! undecided
Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Kobojunkie: 10:48pm On Oct 20, 2022
gloryhomemaker:
Well done sir for taking the time and effort to prepare moi moi for you and your family. I have not heard or observed this myth before but what I have come to realise especially with food and its preparation is that our parents knew some hacks and tips that made their food taste extra delicious with little ingredients. The challenge is that some of these information were not passed to the younger generation or were passed and we didn't take note or observe keenly enough.
You are patting him on the back for cooking for what is his own family? Do you pat women on the back too each time they do the very same or is it that you folks are simply prejudiced? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Kobojunkie: 10:49pm On Oct 20, 2022
RoyalBlu:
I'm not here about any myth being proven true... I'm here to say you're doing well. You go through all the motions of making moimoi for your family over and over again. That's commendable kind sir.
You are patting him on the back for cooking for what is his own family? Do you pat women on the back too each time they do the very same or is it that you folks are simply prejudiced? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by RoyalBlu(f): 8:13am On Oct 21, 2022
Kobojunkie:

cheesy

Kobojunkie please don't you categorize me in this manner next time @ your last line. Thank you.

Go on and take a poll and see how many men in this part of the world cook 'moi moi' for their families from the scratch cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by gloryhomemaker(f): 9:00am On Oct 21, 2022
Kobojunkie:

How many men cook for their families, not to talk of cooking moi moi every other week. He needs a pat on the back jare.

There's no need for bringing gender bias in this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by mariahAngel(f): 9:27am On Oct 21, 2022
gloryhomemaker:

How many men cook for their families, not to talk of cooking moi moi every other week. He needs a pat on the back jare.

Nne, don't let anyone try to tell you how to think, or make you believe that your way of thinking is wrong, or change who you are.
(That is what they do on this forum, if you're not self aware.
They make everything about gender).
You're a traditional woman, and there's nothing wrong with that.
You owe no one any explanations.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Neptunium(m): 9:56am On Oct 21, 2022
gloryhomemaker:

OP no say he makes moi moi every other week.

Let's normalize men cooking.

Him no need standing ovation for cooking for his family.

Loads of men have cooking YouTube pages, men cooking no be new thing.

Me and the rest of the males in my family can cook very well. My future family go enjoy my cooking wella. No big deal there
Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by gloryhomemaker(f): 10:26am On Oct 21, 2022
mariahAngel:

Nne, don't let anyone try to tell you how to think, or make you believe that your way of thinking is wrong, or change who you are.
(That is what they do on this forum, if you're not self aware.
They make everything about gender).
You're a traditional woman, and there's nothing wrong with that.
You owe no one any explanations.

Nne nwanyi oma, if my husband cooks moi moi for me even once a month, chaiiiii, I know how to pay back.

Not buying moi moi ooooo. He selects the beans, peels off the back, grinds it, seasons it, cooks it for us now and again hmmmmm.
Through those processes for me means alot to me even though I can cook it myself.

We are not talking about egg and noodles here or Egusi soup, it's moi moi that requires lots of processes and patience.

They can't change me don't worry, I am well grounded, we have seen many days to yield to peer pressure or Nairaland pressure grin

Dalu rinne.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by budaatum: 10:38am On Oct 21, 2022
gloryhomemaker:

Nne nwanyi oma, if my husband cooks moi moi for me even once a month, chaiiiii, I know how to pay back.

Not buying moi moi ooooo. He selects the beans, peels off the back, grinds it, seasons it, cooks it for us now and again hmmmmm.
Through those processes for me means alot to me even though I can cook it myself.

We are not talking about egg and noodles here or Egusi soup, it's moi moi that requires lots of processes and patience.

They can't change me don't worry, I am well grounded, we have seen many days to yield to peer pressure or Nairaland pressure grin

Dalu rinne.

This is for you and others here like you.

1 Like

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by budaatum: 10:42am On Oct 21, 2022
Neptunium:

Let's normalize men cooking.

Him no need standing ovation for cooking for his family.

Loads of men have cooking YouTube pages, men cooking no be new thing.

Me and the rest of the males in my family can cook very well. My future family go enjoy my cooking wella. No big deal there

If we give you a standing ovation, accept it. We only give it you because we think you deserve it.

You very well know that loads of most men would not ever cook for their family even if they had bothered to let their mother teach them.
Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by ideaz: 7:11pm On Oct 21, 2022
We need just 5 women here to put this argument to rest within the next 30 days. Willingly volunteer now and help humanity, ladies.
Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Neptunium(m): 10:04pm On Oct 21, 2022
budaatum:

If we give you a standing ovation, accept it. We only give it you because we think you deserve it.

You very well know that loads of most men would not ever cook for their family even if they had bothered to let their mother teach them
Single father, or widowers with two little kids won't ever cook for his kids? U know that's not true

It has become the norm for african women to take over the kitchen, which is why they mostly do the cooking. Doesn't men won't or don't do it

Should we take a poll on Nairaland, we'll find many people whose husbands or fathers cook

In the Cook In Your Kitchen thread alone, loads of regular male posters in there cook for their families

What of all the threads on Nairaland alone of guys killing animals and making stews?

Outside Nigeria nko? Check out the.grillfathers on IG. He and his wife adopted 3 kids (2 blacks,
1 white). He does all the cooking for his family, enjoys it like kilode. Works full-time too. Plenty other men on IG like him
Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Kobojunkie: 4:45am On Oct 22, 2022
RoyalBlu:
cheesy
Kobojunkie please don't you categorize me in this manner next time @ your last line. Thank you.

Go on and take a poll and see how many men in this part of the world cook 'moi moi' for their families from the scratch cheesy
What does it matter how many men or what part of the world you are referring to? undecided

Why pat any of them on the back for doing that which ought to be commonsense for all married men and women alike? undecided

1 Like

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Kobojunkie: 4:47am On Oct 22, 2022
gloryhomemaker:

Regardless of how many do it, the few don't need to get a medal for doing their job in much the same way woman who already know it as their duty also shouldn't. undecided

Na my children the men dey cook for or their own? Na my family dem dey cook for wey dem no know say na dem duty and responsibility from day one? undecided

Look again at your post. You made this about gender. I simply pointed out how wrong and rude that is particularly since we all ought to know better in this 21st century. undecided

1 Like

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by Kobojunkie: 4:52am On Oct 22, 2022
Neptunium:

Let's normalize men cooking. Him no need standing ovation for cooking for his family. Loads of men have cooking YouTube pages, men cooking no be new thing.

Precisely ! undecided

We live now in the 21st century where we now realize it is a thing of shame that in Africa men don't already cook for their families. We don't need to give applause to those who have already adopted commonsense. I would rather we shame those who haven't for choosing to remains fools particularly where the welfare of what is their own family is involved. undecided

2 Likes

Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by NoToPile: 8:46am On Oct 22, 2022
Lool apart from the period one, I also heared that when cooking moi moi with leaf anybody who touches the preparation will have to tie knots with the leaf and place in the pot after wrapping all in the leaf, or else it will turn to water grin grin

Sometimes I have tied knots sometimes I don't and my moimoi elewe has never turned watery. I think it's all about what you believe.

@ gloryhomemaker please what's the brand of your food processor.
Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by gloryhomemaker(f): 11:17am On Oct 22, 2022
NoToPile:
Lool apart from the period one, I also heared that when cooking moi moi with leaf anybody who touches the preparation will have to tie knots with the leaf and place in the pot after wrapping all in the leaf, or else it will turn to water grin grin

Sometimes I have tied knots sometimes I don't and my moimoi elewe has never turned watery. I think it's all about what you believe.

@ gloryhomemaker please what's the brand of your food processor.

Its Panasonic 1000 watts, it's been very useful.
Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by budaatum: 12:34pm On Oct 22, 2022
Neptunium:
Single father, or widowers with two little kids won't ever cook for his kids? U know that's not true.

Of course that's not true, and that's why I never said "Single father, or widowers with two little kids won't ever cook for his kids". My own 'single' father after all cooked for his children and wiped their bums while his wife was away in residential nursing school, so why would I say what I know is not true?

As for that Nairaland poll, I'd love to see ignorant redpillers call men who cook simps.
Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by NoToPile: 1:35pm On Oct 22, 2022
gloryhomemaker:

Its Panasonic 1000 watts, it's been very useful.

Sebi it works for yam too.

How much did you get it, thinking of getting a food processor.

Thanks sis.
Re: I Just Believed This Myth That Surrounds The Preparation Of Moimoi by gloryhomemaker(f): 11:24am On Oct 23, 2022
NoToPile:

Sebi it works for yam too.

How much did you get it, thinking of getting a food processor.

Thanks sis.

Yes it can do yam in small quantities.
Its been a long time I got it but you can get it or any other brand from the market.

Buy from 1000 watts up with copper coil, not China version ooooo, UK or German version.

You will see even 2,000 to 5,000 watts on the body of some but it's not true.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Bush Meat I Killed In My House. picture / Tomato Powder Stew With Chicken: How To Make Tomato Powder Stew Very Easy / Who Has Ever Tried These Foods For Breakfast?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.