Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,297 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

My Landlord Gave Me Court Summon. What Do I Do? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Gave Me Court Summon. What Do I Do? (537 Views)

Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time / My Landlord And I (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landlord Gave Me Court Summon. What Do I Do? by chrisifeanyi: 7:46pm On Oct 21, 2022
Please I need a candid opinion to this to know the next step I will take.
I started living in a house 1st of September 2021 and I was expected to renew the rent on 31st of August 2022.
Since January of this year, the POP in one of the rooms started showing water leakage and it became so bad that moulds was growing on the pop and walls as well. I complained to the caretaker of the house to inform the landlord but several of such complain didn't yield anything.
I'm ashmatic, I couldn't use the room anyone because of its damps nature and awful smells. Meanwhile the caretaker told me he has informed them but nothing was done. Nobody sleeps there anymore even when I have visitors, they will rather use the sitting room.
Around July, I sent the picture of the place to the lawyer incharge and he promised to reach the landlord.
Nothing was done until it was time to renew the rent.
They sent notice for rent renewal.
I reminded them about the condition of the room which affected both toilet and kitchen POP as well.
The lawyer said l should pay that they will come and fix the place.
Meanwhile it was water leakage from the tenant above me that was causing such which the plumber that came couldn't dictate the fault.
After my rent expired, that was August 31st, I pleaded with the lawyer to give me till second week of this month to pay up.
Meanwhile someone came to fix the POP just last week and after the whole work, two days the place became messed up again with leaking water and moulds.
I couldn't pay the rent last week and was planning to pay on Tuesday next week despite the horrible situation of the room and just today I was served with court summon.
In the summon, I was now expected to pay additional 102,600 as litigation fee.
I called the lawyer to ask questions, he said I should prepare my defense and come to court.
I endured the horrible state of the room and even my mother in-law has to be sleeping in the parlour when she visited but they cannot even give me two months after the expiration of the rent to renew.
I don't know the next step to take.
Should I get a lawyer or pay them the extra 102,600 additional fee? If I go to court do I stand a chance?
I don't mind leaving the house but I need time to look for another apartment because If I pay now, that room will still be messed up and the water leaking inside the walls is not a good thing.
What do I do? If they will agree to take the normal rent I may decide to pay and possibly endure the bad room for the next one year but paying additional 102,600 to me isn't what I can do. I attached the picture of the room when it was bad and the last picture was the state of the place after the POP man came to paint it and it resurfaces after two days.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Court Summon. What Do I Do? by rickpat(m): 7:54pm On Oct 21, 2022
go to court...be very very calm and polite when speaking to the judge.. explain everything and have the pictures with you....you wont pay any litigation fee...worst case scenario you with pay for the months stay before getting a new apartment...and you pay 2k litigation fee...forget that 102k talk..that's trash...that lawyer is very wicked....please remember,BE VERY CALM AND POLITE..don't give the judge the impression that you are a troublesome fellow...good luck

6 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Court Summon. What Do I Do? by chrisifeanyi: 7:56pm On Oct 21, 2022
rickpat:
go to court...be very very calm and polite when speaking to the judge.. explain everything and have the pictures with you....you wont pay any litigation fee...worst case scenario you with pay for the months stay before getting a new apartment...and you pay 2k litigation fee...forget that 102k talk..that's trash...that lawyer is very wicked....please remember,BE VERY CALM AND POLITE..don't give the judge the impression that you are a troublesome fellow...good luck

Thank you very much.
Please do I need to involve a lawyer?
Re: My Landlord Gave Me Court Summon. What Do I Do? by tommy589(m): 8:19pm On Oct 21, 2022
You are the boss if you are in Lagos. Tenancy laws favours you
It is a civil matter don't go with any lawyer yet

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Court Summon. What Do I Do? by hakeemhakeem(m): 8:51pm On Oct 21, 2022
If you are Lagos go to any local government their are mediation center talk to them .they will summon the lawyer and landlord, moreover you have six months to look for another place only if stays in Lagos

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Court Summon. What Do I Do? by rickpat(m): 9:04pm On Oct 21, 2022
chrisifeanyi:

Thank you very much.
Please do I need to involve a lawyer?
no, represent yourself... it Should be like a Mobile court normally located inside the local government headquarters

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me Court Summon. What Do I Do? by Daddyboy21: 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2022
Always remember this. Immediately you pay for rent, you have 365 days or 52 weeks, or 12 months or 1 year to pay your next rent. It should never come as a surprise to you. stop deceiving yourself. As for the property, there is no need to renew just park out cos its obvious the house condition will remain the same even when you renew
Re: My Landlord Gave Me Court Summon. What Do I Do? by RichDaniels: 5:41pm On Nov 13, 2022
Hello Chris, has this matter been solved. If not, please, contact me on monarchlaw021@gmail.com

Thank you.

chrisifeanyi:
Please I need a candid opinion to this to know the next step I will take.
I started living in a house 1st of September 2021 and I was expected to renew the rent on 31st of August 2022.
Since January of this year, the POP in one of the rooms started showing water leakage and it became so bad that moulds was growing on the pop and walls as well. I complained to the caretaker of the house to inform the landlord but several of such complain didn't yield anything.
I'm ashmatic, I couldn't use the room anyone because of its damps nature and awful smells. Meanwhile the caretaker told me he has informed them but nothing was done. Nobody sleeps there anymore even when I have visitors, they will rather use the sitting room.
Around July, I sent the picture of the place to the lawyer incharge and he promised to reach the landlord.
Nothing was done until it was time to renew the rent.
They sent notice for rent renewal.
I reminded them about the condition of the room which affected both toilet and kitchen POP as well.
The lawyer said l should pay that they will come and fix the place.
Meanwhile it was water leakage from the tenant above me that was causing such which the plumber that came couldn't dictate the fault.
After my rent expired, that was August 31st, I pleaded with the lawyer to give me till second week of this month to pay up.
Meanwhile someone came to fix the POP just last week and after the whole work, two days the place became messed up again with leaking water and moulds.
I couldn't pay the rent last week and was planning to pay on Tuesday next week despite the horrible situation of the room and just today I was served with court summon.
In the summon, I was now expected to pay additional 102,600 as litigation fee.
I called the lawyer to ask questions, he said I should prepare my defense and come to court.
I endured the horrible state of the room and even my mother in-law has to be sleeping in the parlour when she visited but they cannot even give me two months after the expiration of the rent to renew.
I don't know the next step to take.
Should I get a lawyer or pay them the extra 102,600 additional fee? If I go to court do I stand a chance?
I don't mind leaving the house but I need time to look for another apartment because If I pay now, that room will still be messed up and the water leaking inside the walls is not a good thing.
What do I do? If they will agree to take the normal rent I may decide to pay and possibly endure the bad room for the next one year but paying additional 102,600 to me isn't what I can do. I attached the picture of the room when it was bad and the last picture was the state of the place after the POP man came to paint it and it resurfaces after two days.

(1) (Reply)

Properties For Sale @ Ikoyi And Banana Island, Victoria Island And Lekki / Still The Best And Cheapest Land Deal In Ibeju-lekki : / Need A Decent Self Contain In Airport Area

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.