Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,442 members, 7,836,767 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works (3030 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works by Gurusblend(m): 11:16am On Feb 19, 2022
My landlord gave me below quit notice this morning. I need to understand how a quit notice works. My rent expires on June 30th, I’m aware she does not wants me in her house anymore, but I also don’t want to be cheated. She did lots of things like removing the pumping machine, refusing to fence the house and run concrete floor in the compound, at least that was what she told me when I wanted to rent the apartment, they’ll do everything in a month prior to my moving in.

Due to her negligence, armed robbers came, they nearly killed me and my fiancé. She deserves to be punished.
Note: I do not have any written agreement with her nor any verbal agreement when I rented the house, neither did I signed any document

Re: Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works by dawnomike(m): 11:19am On Feb 19, 2022
Gurusblend:
My landlord gave me below quit notice this morning. I need to understand how a quit notice works. My rent expires on June 30th, I’m aware she does not wants me in her house anymore, but I also don’t want to be cheated. She did lots of things like removing the pumping machine, refusing to fence the house and run concrete floor in the compound, at least that was what she told me when I wanted to rent the apartment, they’ll do everything in a month prior to my moving in.

Due to her negligence, armed robbers came, they nearly killed me and my fiancé. She deserves to be punished.
Note: I do not have any written agreement with her nor any verbal agreement when I rented the house, neither did I signed any document
If you do not have a legal agreement with her in form of tenancy agreement... Please, start to look for another apartment ASAP. The law does not cover you
Re: Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works by Gurusblend(m): 11:22am On Feb 19, 2022
dawnomike:
If you do not have a legal agreement with her in form of tenancy agreement... Please, start to look for another apartment ASAP. The law does not cover you

Ok thanks, but I’m aware the law does not cover her too
Re: Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works by Igweokalakwu: 11:22am On Feb 19, 2022
shocked

Bia Nwokem! E nye gi quick notice, jiri nwayo paakia out to avoid unnecessary embarrassment.
Re: Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works by Ungodly: 11:28am On Feb 19, 2022
Gurusblend:

Your mistake here was that there was no any legal agreement written. Forget that she didn’t do all what she promised to do in the compound, you will not win. Start looking for a new house and make sure you don’t make that mistake again… there should always be a written agreement.
Re: Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works by nickyvil: 11:32am On Feb 19, 2022
The quit notice is enough to nail her, she acknowledge in the quick noticed that your rent will be expired by June. Now after your expiration, you still have few months to look for an apartment and thats when the quick notice validate. But as long as there is no written agreement or record where she says she will do all the she mentions, I will advice you to start planning on how to get a new apartment and if you can't get before due date , just communicate it with her and not too worry. She can't do or determine, only the court have the right. And thats not a court notice.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works by Brokeloser: 11:41am On Feb 19, 2022
Op try to find another accommodation.
Re: Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works by DoggoneDogg: 11:45am On Feb 19, 2022
Gurusblend:

Quit notices must not be shorter than 6 months by law so this quit notice is illegal.

Since it was issued on the 19th of February, 2022, it means that your quit date will be no earlier than 18th July, 2022.

Even after 18th July, 2022 your landlady does not have the authority to break into your flat without a court order. Furthermore, if you do overstay & finally move, you will have to pay for every month you stayed beyond 18th July, 2022.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works by Gurusblend(m): 12:00pm On Feb 19, 2022
DoggoneDogg:

Quit notices must not be shorter than 6 months by law so this quit notice is illegal.

Since it was issued on the 19th of February, 2022, it means that your quit date will be no earlier than 18th July, 2022.

Even after 18th July, 2022 your landlady does not have the authority to break into your flat without a court order. Furthermore, if you do overstay & finally move, you will have to pay for every month you stayed beyond 18th July, 2022.

Hope this helps.

Yes thanks a lot
Re: Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works by Gurusblend(m): 12:02pm On Feb 19, 2022
nickyvil:
The quit notice is enough to nail her, she acknowledge in the quick noticed that your rent will be expired by June. Now after your expiration, you still have few months to look for an apartment and thats when the quick notice validate. But as long as there is no written agreement or record where she says she will do all the she mentions, I will advice you to start planning on how to get a new apartment and if you can't get before due date , just communicate it with her and not too worry. She can't do or determine, only the court have the right. And thats not a court notice.

Thanks a lot
Re: Help! My Landlord Gave Me A Quit Notice. I Need To Understand How It Works by dawnomike(m): 12:09pm On Feb 19, 2022
Gurusblend:

If you had an agreement, the law favours the tenant... But without an agreement, the 6months prior notice is all she needs to secure a court order against you.

(1) (Reply)

Two Plot Of Land @ Obawole Ogba N13 M Asking / Very Cheap Lands For Sale In Banana Island.....open Here N Call Me / TO LET IN JOS: 4 Bedroom Bungalow 1 Year Rent At N450,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.