Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,136 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids (1719 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Hate Peugeot Cars With Emphasis On 407 & 607.. / Toyota Is Recalling 1 Million Hybrids At Risk Of Catching Fire / Hybrid Electric Vehicle Chatroom. Let's Talk Hybrids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by ibinaboonline: 10:46pm On Oct 22, 2022
Some time ago, I noticed Nigerian drivers and car shoppers may tend to distance themselves from hybrids like the Toyota Prius. The reason for my suspicion is when one guy raised the alarm that his camry was stolen but everyone here assured him the car will be found because the thief will have a hard time selling it because the Camry is a hybrid. It made me realize that Nigerians must dislike hybrids. But why? I'd like to know what might be the issues with owning and driving a hybrid in Nigeria. Such information will help me decide if the reasons are negligible or not. Please your opinion is welcomed.
Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by Lexusgs430: 12:09am On Oct 23, 2022
ibinaboonline:
Some time ago, I noticed Nigerian drivers and car shoppers may tend to distance themselves from hybrids like the Toyota Prius. The reason for my suspicion is when one guy raised the alarm that his camry was stolen but everyone here assured him the car will be found because the thief will have a hard time selling it because the Camry is a hybrid. It made me realize that Nigerians must dislike hybrids. But why? I'd like to know what might be the issues with owning and driving a hybrid in Nigeria. Such information will help me decide if the reasons are negligible or not. Please your opinion is welcomed.

Availability of hybrid trained professionals, cost of repairs and availability of spare parts + price ...........

If the aforementioned are not enough reasons, not to buy one........ I don't what else is ...... cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by easytig(m): 3:26am On Oct 23, 2022
Our mechanics are not trained to fix hybrid,all of them will be doing trial and error. the hybrid parts are very expensive

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by ibinaboonline: 7:12am On Oct 23, 2022
Okay. Perhaps Toyota have service centers in Nigeria.
Lexusgs430:

Availability of hybrid trained professionals, cost of repairs and availability of spare parts + price ...........

If the aforementioned are not enough reasons, not to buy one........ I don't what else is ...... cheesy
Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by ibinaboonline: 7:15am On Oct 23, 2022
I recently saw one with less than 100,000 miles on offer for less than 1.5 million naira. It seems to be a car for rich people, considering the cost of ownership i.e the high cost of maintenance.
easytig:
Our mechanics are not trained to fix hybrid,all of them will be doing trial and error. the hybrid parts are very expensive
Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by Lexusgs430: 7:58am On Oct 23, 2022
ibinaboonline:
Okay. Perhaps Toyota have service centers in Nigeria.

I don't think Toyota Nigeria, supplies Hybrid engines to their Nigerian market.........
Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by ibinaboonline: 8:26am On Oct 23, 2022
That's messed up. Wonder how the fee Prius owners in the country manage.
Lexusgs430:

I don't think Toyota Nigeria, supplies Hybrid engines to their Nigerian market.........
Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by nurey(m): 9:01am On Oct 23, 2022
ibinaboonline:

Wait bro, you want to buy a car in naija tokunbo for that matter and carry am go Authorized service center grin

You get money oooo

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by Lexusgs430: 9:09am On Oct 23, 2022
ibinaboonline:

They either park it, once it packs up, attempt to change to conventional engines or look for independent hybrid technicians (at pocket busting prices) ....... grin

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by nurey(m): 6:35pm On Oct 23, 2022
ibinaboonline:

A neighbours 2005 ford escape hybrid spent 3years abandoned in same place one day, I dey pass iron condemn butcher park nah so boiz gather with AXE dey give am wotowoto grin after it had been stripped bare of useful parts
Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by ibinaboonline: 1:56am On Oct 24, 2022
Yey. I feel sorry for the person already. sad
nurey:

A neighbours 2005 ford escape hybrid spent 3years abandoned in same place one day, I dey pass iron condemn butcher park nah so boiz gather with AXE dey give am wotowoto grin after it had been stripped bare of useful parts
Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by empron(m): 6:12pm On Oct 24, 2022
ibinaboonline:
Hybrids are good car lack of technicians make it look like a bad car, apart from the the HV battery other parts call easily be get in Ladipo and they are affordable, a client of mine who is a medical doctor has been driving Highlander hybrid for 11years( still using original HV battery) wrong diagnostic make it look difficult and bad.i have been driving 07 hybrid for 7years apart from changing the HV battery due to wrong use by previous owner,I am still using same Engine and also my wife's Prius similar experience.Although I am Electrical Engineer,it is the reason i decided to focus on the car.They are cool car but techy and not for everyone.Peace

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by ibinaboonline: 11:16pm On Oct 24, 2022
Fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing.
empron:
Hybrids are good car lack of technicians make it look like a bad car, apart from the the HV battery other parts call easily be get in Ladipo and they are affordable, a client of mine who is a medical doctor has been driving Highlander hybrid for 11years( still using original HV battery) wrong diagnostic make it look difficult and bad.i have been driving 07 hybrid for 7years apart from changing the HV battery due to wrong use by previous owner,I am still using same Engine and also my wife's Prius similar experience.Although I am Electrical Engineer,it is the reason i decided to focus on the car.They are cool car but techy and not for everyone.Peace

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Hate Hybrids by DECOtech(m): 4:28pm On Jan 14, 2023
If we can find the parts here in Nigeria, then we can fix your hybrid and electric cars. Yet, we stii fix hybrid cars here in Owerri.

(1) (Reply)

My 2005 Chrysler Crossfire: Swagger In Motion Clear Road Ooooo / Lamborghini Launch Most Expensive Car In The World "Veneno Roadster" Costs £3.3m / Who Still Remembered This Car? First Ever Car Produced By Range Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.