Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,943 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? (2894 Views)

4 Reasons Why Learning Python Is A Game Changer For Your Coding Career / Learn The Fundamentals Of Python And Learn Hacking Using Your Coding Skills. / How Much Did Your State Earn As Revenue For 2020 (Last Year)? Check Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by talk2hb1(m): 4:26am On Oct 28, 2022
If you have dinning table, please don't compromise on buying that quality chair. You will be spending most of your precious time in it.
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by genaro2000(m): 8:01pm On Oct 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You get it o. I still use an old plastic chair. The only expensive thing on my setup is my laptop and my monitor came from qtguru. No need spending anyhow in this period of economic uncertainty.
That ergonomic chair important is very important because of your back, David Hundeyin once twitted about losing a friend due to complications from back problems due to sitting for long periods of time

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Oct 29, 2022
Sleekcode:

Una can funny ehh

Nawao

So because the chair is 140k person no go fit buy am again?

Were Una the even stay self

And which one is Oyibo setup and Nigerian setup

Make Una allow those in Nigeria way get the money to setup their workspace how they want it

Me that's even planning to get a game space also with fancy gears

Everything boils down to how much you're earning last last and your personal choice

My workspace go be badass.... partly because I want to be recording videos for my YouTube from there also

Which people self the even like this your post.

Just imagine

"You want to do setup like American"

As per na only American get monopoly to have nice work setup?

How nonsensical

I can feel your plights on this Thread. This Is It, Nigeria Is a Miserable place to be. I noticed the "LIKES" too. Too many people with Psychological & Extreme Mental Problem. Most of these people are Mentally Damaged seriously. I have seen some supposed rich people who looks like a Poverty Ravaged Being. They have money but they won't still look good, clean and dress nicely. Got not enough strength right now to type. Their situation Is worst than you will ever Imagine..
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:46pm On Oct 29, 2022
Evolutionlove:

I can feel your plights on this Thread. This Is It, Nigeria Is a Miserable place to be. I noticed the "LIKES" too. Too many people with Psychological & Extreme Mental Problem. Most of these people are Mentally Damaged seriously. I have seen some supposed rich people who looks like a Poverty Ravaged Being. They have money but they won't still look good, clean and dress nicely. Got not enough strength right now to type. Their situation Is worst than you will ever Imagine..

LoL dey there grin grin. Some tech bros earn over a million monthly but still live like paupers. They are saving to leave the country grin grin grin. Who wants to live a soft life in this satanic shithole tongue

3 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

LoL dey there grin grin. Some tech bros earn over a million monthly but still live like paupers. They are saving to leave the country grin grin grin. Who wants to live a soft life in this satanic shithole tongue

Well na true you talk sha..grin
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by TastyFriedPussy: 4:37pm On Oct 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

if I'm earning over a million naira monthly(as a remote dev, not 9-5), nothing go ever make me think of leaving this country. I fit just dey travel out for vacation.
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:44pm On Oct 29, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
if I'm earning over a million naira monthly(as a remote dev, not 9-5), nothing go ever make me think of leaving this country. I fit just dey travel out for vacation.

� Everyone says this till they get that job. There's no job security in remote job and no sense of promotion. You are an independent contractor and can be let go anytime and trust me finding another job of the same equivalent isn't easy. It can take six months to a year to even two years. It's not a joke. The best thing is to run away when those resources are there. A guy even took a pay cut I think I posted it here to move to Germany. He was earning 42 million annually in Nigeria but still left to Germany for a company that sponsored him for much lesser money.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 29, 2022
vinlyreeks:
Hi Devs on nairaland.
So I have been recently touring the net looking for cool work from home set up. And I am about reaching to a conclusion that devs in Nigeria are not really big on "Mad" coding setups.

I have a request:
1. please can I see a picture or your home set up.
2. How much it cost you to set it up.
3. What could you have done better
4. Names and places where you got your gadgets.

Mods please help me escalate.

Example of what I mean
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 30, 2022
airsaylongcome:
I'm laughing hard at the OP that wants to have oyibo setup in Nigeria. First of all go and price these items locally make your eye clear. That fine chair you are seeing starts from like ₦140k tear rubber. Those nice fancy screens? Forget it. You have to import directly. Do you even have a properly wired 1Gbps home network (which is old tech for Oyibo who are mostly 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps). Can you afford to buy your own Unifi router and switches to give you excellent local coverage? Brand new Plantronics headset I bought the other day was ₦70k in September. Easily ₦150k now. Go market make you price all these items. Make your eye clear.

Get a functional ergonomic chair and a decent spacious desk. Nice wireless mouse. Decent monitors. You are good to go. You wan dey do setup like American. You know how much that American dey earn? And do you know the choices available to him? Do you have a Microcenter were you can walk in to shop for all these fancy computing gear or na Otigba you wan go buy the?
Yes I believe I can get those things.
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by Nwaotu10(m): 8:24pm On Oct 30, 2022
My setup gonna be mad if money comes. grin

1 Like

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by MOS6502: 9:41pm On Nov 01, 2022
Still working on workspace ; Have a shopping list

1. EMEL Breadth (K9008H) chair
2. Motorised table for standing and sitting - you can get a manual crank. (only motor or crank comes)
3. Behringer XM8500 mic & Behringer UM2 for audio
4. Use old iphone for video
5. 1440P dell monitor
6. dual bi-directional outdoor antenna (my modem are at the highest point in my house - higher better, lower worse)
7. Dual lan router for fail over

Currently, using vim & tmux ; and switching manually between spectranet and airtel
Left local; Right remote

Back end (API dev & integrations)

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by airsaylongcome: 11:17pm On Nov 01, 2022
It's hilarious reading somethings on here. Someone even insinuating I have "Psychological and Extreme mental health problems". Because I critiqued spending on "mad setups". Before you get those "mad setups":
1. Ensure that you have guaranteed power 24/7. That's generator, solar panels and at least a 4.5kva inverter with batteries to last you at least 2 days in rainy season.

2. Ensure that you have at least two high speed dedicated internet connections giving you at guaranteed 15mbps down with a dual-WAN router to bond both ISP lines.

3. Ensure you have a dedicated space in your house measuring at least 10ft by 10ft that is exclusively for work.

Because you cannot be having "mad setups" without electricity or internet. And your mad setups has to be in your office space not your bedroom.

I'd rather spend my money doing up my living space as a smart home than having "mad setup" for work. Me sometimes na only boxers I dey wear to work

3 Likes

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by airsaylongcome: 11:24pm On Nov 01, 2022
MOS6502:
Still working on workspace ; Have a shopping list

1. EMEL Breadth (K9008H) chair
2. Motorised table for standing and sitting - you can get a manual crank. (only motor or crank comes)
3. Behringer XM8500 mic & Behringer UM2 for audio
4. Use old iphone for video
5. 1440P dell monitor
6. dual bi-directional outdoor antenna (my modem are at the highest point in my house - higher better, lower worse)
7. Dual lan router for fail over

Currently, using vim & tmux ; and switching manually between spectranet and airtel
Left local; Right remote

Back end (API dev & integrations)

I'm looking to buy a dual wan router and install pfsense/opnsense or Vyos. A proper 4 port Protectli is already setting me back almost $700 shipped. And a Protecli would be a "mad setup". A Chinese clone (which in my opinion isn't a "mad setup"wink will cost me around 89$ bare metal. There's also the challenge of getting the ISPs to share their router configuration with you.

1 Like

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by MOS6502: 12:13am On Nov 02, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I'm looking to buy a dual wan router and install pfsense/opnsense or Vyos. A proper 4 port Protectli is already setting me back almost $700 shipped. And a Protecli would be a "mad setup". A Chinese clone (which in my opinion isn't a "mad setup"wink will cost me around 89$ bare metal. There's also the challenge of getting the ISPs to share their router configuration with you.

grin The Protectli router alone is half my budget. I am getting the ubiquiti edgeX ($59); mikrotik has something within that range as well.

Also interested in home security camera with motion sensor .. but won't install till I move late next year. Noisy & Nossy neighbors angry
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by airsaylongcome: 1:44am On Nov 02, 2022
MOS6502:

grin The Protectli router alone is half my budget. I am getting the ubiquiti edgeX ($59); mikrotik has something within that range as well.

Also interested in home security camera with motion sensor .. but won't install till I move late next year. Noisy & Nossy neighbors angry

Got the Edgerouter 10X for $110 some weeks back. But I'm not feeling it cos I'm hosting some stuff locally and Chinese and European bots are trying to hit my server. The Edgerouter is doing its job but I need a more capable router as I plan to host more stuff.

As for the Mikrotik, I've got that one. Rb705Gr3 or something. If it sees the level bots the 10X is seeing, the Firewall fit cause the router to hang

1 Like

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by peterincredible: 6:34pm On Nov 02, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Got the Edgerouter 10X for $110 some weeks back. But I'm not feeling it cos I'm hosting some stuff locally and Chinese and European bots are trying to hit my server. The Edgerouter is doing its job but I need a more capable router as I plan to host more stuff.

As for the Mikrotik, I've got that one. Rb705Gr3 or something. If it sees the level bots the 10X is seeing, the Firewall fit cause the router to hang
Bros no vex ooo I always see u on the programming community but I know you are heavily into tech but not software engineering pls tell me what u really major on I am just curious
Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by airsaylongcome: 7:49pm On Nov 02, 2022
peterincredible:
Bros no vex ooo I always see u on the programming community but I know you are heavily into tech but not software engineering pls tell me what u really major on I am just curious

Lool...I push buttons and break things in IT then figure out how to fix it. You find me on the programming forum because it's the closest sub-forum closely related to Tech.

Naaaah...I'm a VOIP Engineer for small Telecoms company

1 Like

Re: How Much Did Your Coding Set-up Cost You? by zakkyzakes: 11:01am On Nov 03, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You get it o. I still use an old plastic chair. The only expensive thing on my setup is my laptop and my monitor came from qtguru. No need spending anyhow in this period of economic uncertainty.
qtguru be helping niggas like us shout-out boss smiley smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Woocommerce Shipping Plugin For Local Governments / Nigerian Linux Distribution: do we need one? / Good PC Spec For Programming And Design: Your Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.