Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,175 members, 7,811,427 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit (478 Views)

Is There Sharing In The Church Today Like The Early Church? / Book Of Acts (Learn from the Apostles & the early church) / The Biblical Jesus Referred To The Gentiles As 'dogs' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:18am On Oct 23, 2022
What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit doesn't wait for men, including the true prophets or apostles of God, to understand what He's doing before He does what He wants to do.

When the gentiles first received the baptism of the Holy Spirit while Peter was yet preaching to them, the Jews from the church that were present, including Peter, didn't see it coming. Peter himself thought they must first be baptized with water beforehand, that's if they'd be baptized by the Holy Ghost at all, hence he instructed that they'd be baptized with water immediately afterwards.

Acts 10:45-48 (KJV)

And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

But when Peter returned from the assignment God had given him, he faced serious interrogation from those of the church, including the apostles, who didn't go with him, as they were said to have contended with him because of what they heard about him regarding the gentiles. Acts 11:1-3

But Peter had to rehearse to them what had actually transpired, that he had not gone there of his own volition but that it was the Spirit of God that actually sent him there. Acts 11:4-16

He then made the following statement in conclusion of his defence to which they could neither gainsay or resist:

Acts 11:17 (KJV)

Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

Sadly though that lesson is yet unlearnt to those of the present day church. They still mistake the Holy Spirit for the spirit of the prophets which they say is and expect to be subject to the prophets.

However as that instance clearly showed, the Spirit of God is anything but that. He is the Spirit of God so it's the prophet or the apostle that ought to be subject to the Spirit of God, and not the other way around.

Even Jesus Himself, the only begotten Son of God was said to have been led of the Spirit into the wilderness while He was human on Earth and not the otherwise. Matthew 4:1.

So if the church of this day is seeking a spirit that which they can control or fully understand, then it's not the Spirit of God they seek but another, because the Spirit of God cannot be led of any man. It's man that ought to be led of the Spirit of God, and He doesn't always wait for his prophets or apostles to understand what He's doing before He does it.

But the Holy Spirit needs those who are willing to be led by Him to be able to showcase the capacity of His power as He did with such ones in the past.

That could explain why His power is not being displayed in the church now as much as it was in those days.

So that one lesson the present day church needs to learn if it wants to be used of the Holy Spirit in the same vein.

God bless.
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 8:59am On Oct 23, 2022
Jesus is lord!
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by Myer(m): 9:02am On Oct 23, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit doesn't wait for men, including the true prophets or apostles of God, to understand what He's doing before He does what He wants to do.

When the gentiles first received the baptism of the Holy Spirit while Peter was yet preaching to them, the Jews from the church that were present, including Peter, didn't see it coming. Peter himself thought they must first be baptized with water beforehand, that's if they'd be baptized by the Holy Ghost at all, hence he instructed that they'd be baptized with water immediately afterwards.

Acts 10:45-48 (KJV)

And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

But when Peter returned from the assignment God had given him, he faced serious interrogation from those of the church, including the apostles, who didn't go with him, as they were said to have contended with him because of what they heard about him regarding the gentiles. Acts 11:1-3

But Peter had to rehearse to them what had actually transpired, that he had not gone there of his own volition but that it was the Spirit of God that actually sent him there. Acts 11:4-16

He then made the following statement in conclusion of his defence to which they could neither gainsay or resist:

Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

Sadly though that lesson is yet unlearnt to those of the present day church. They still mistake the Holy Spirit for the spirit of the prophets which they say is and expect to be subject to the prophets.

However as that instance clearly showed, the Spirit of God is anything but that. He is the Spirit of God so it's the prophet or the apostle that ought to be subject to the Spirit of God, and not the other way around.

Even Jesus Himself, the only begotten Son of God was said to have been led of the Spirit into the wilderness while He was human on Earth and not the otherwise. Matthew 4:1.

So if the church of this day is seeking a spirit that which they can control or fully understand, then it's not the Spirit of God they seek but another, because the Spirit of God cannot be led of any man. It's man that ought to be led of the Spirit of God, and He doesn't always wait for his prophets or apostles to understand what He's doing before He does it.

But the Holy Spirit needs those who are willing to be led by Him to be able to showcase the capacity of His power as He did with such ones in the past.

That could explain why His power is not being displayed in the church now as much as it was in those days.

So that one lesson the present day church needs to learn if it wants to be used of the Holy Spirit in the same vein.

God bless.

While this is rightly said scripturally.
My question is simple, what has the Holyspirit led you to do off Nairaland like the early Christians, I'm assuming you have the same measure of the Holyspirit.
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by DollarBag: 11:41am On Oct 26, 2022
Pls dear chat me on the number below, I want to share a spiritual issue with you pls. 09122036388. Very pressing pls
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by Kobojunkie: 1:40am On Oct 27, 2022
Myer:
While this is rightly said scripturally.
My question is simple, what has the Holyspirit led you to do off Nairaland like the early Christians, I'm assuming you have the same measure of the Holyspirit.
Does the Holy Spirit aka the Spirit of Truth, the one who lived and operated inside of Jesus Christ Himself while He was here on earth, come in measures? If, yes, where did Jesus Christ, the one whose spirit and promise it is, reveal this? undecided
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by Myer(m): 4:06am On Oct 27, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Does the Holy Spirit aka the Spirit of Truth, the one who lived and operated inside of Jesus Christ Himself while He was here on earth, come in measures? If, yes, where did Jesus Christ, the one whose spirit and promise it is, reveal this? undecided

Only Jesus Christ had the spirit without measure.

John 3:34, KJV: For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by Kobojunkie: 4:20am On Oct 27, 2022
Myer:
Only Jesus Christ had the spirit without measure.

John 3:34, KJV: For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.
So because Johh the Baptist said there that God gives the Spirit(Eternal Life and Truth) to Jesus Christ fully, we are to then conclude that God does not give the Spirit of Truth fully to those who are followers of Jesus Christ? undecided
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by Myer(m): 4:34am On Oct 27, 2022
Kobojunkie:
So because Johh the Baptist said there that God gives the Spirit(Eternal Life and Truth) to Jesus Christ fully, we are to then conclude that God does not give the Spirit of Truth fully to those who are followers of Jesus Christ? undecided

You're free to interprete the verse as you wish.
If you have the same measure of yhe spirit as Jesus Christ, you should be performing the miracles he performed and operating with the wisdom he operated.

But clearly, you're not doing either.
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by Kobojunkie: 4:46am On Oct 27, 2022
Myer:
You're free to interprete the verse as you wish.
If you have the same measure of yhe spirit as Jesus Christ, you should be performing the miracles he performed and operating with the wisdom he operated.

But clearly, you're not doing either.
I don't think I am free to interpret the verse as I wish as there is only one Truth and all other interpretation are lies. undecided

1. The apostles were able to perform miracles and operate in wisdom as far as we are able to pull from the stories told of them in the book of Acts, so are we to assume they had the same measure of the "Spirit" that Jesus Christ had then? undecided

2. Jesus Christ did state that those who belong to Him will do that which He did and more, meaning it ain't OK for anyone to fall short of that goal He set for all of His followers. So if a one is able to accomplish all that Jesus Christ did and more, would it then mean one has the same measure "Spirit" that Jesus Christ had? undecided

3. Jesus Christ did also warn that even false prophets and false teachers would do miracles, cast out demons and prophesy using His name, so are such things really a good enough way to Guage "measure" of "Spirit" a one has? undecided

4. This is not to say that it is OK for a one to have any of the signs indicated by Jesus Christ missing in his life, only that if may not be a good enough way to guage the presence of the Spirit of Truth in the life of a born-again, don't you think? undecided
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by Myer(m): 7:23am On Oct 27, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I don't think I am free to interpret the verse as I wish as there is only one Truth and all other interpretation are lies. undecided

1. The apostles were able to perform miracles and operate in wisdom as far as we are able to pull from the stories told of them in the book of Acts, so are we to assume they had the same measure of the "Spirit" that Jesus Christ had then? undecided

2. Jesus Christ did state that those who belong to Him will do that which He did and more, meaning it ain't OK for anyone to fall short of that goal He set for all of His followers. So if a one is able to accomplish all that Jesus Christ did and more, would it then mean one has the same measure "Spirit" that Jesus Christ had? undecided

3. Jesus Christ did also warn that even false prophets and false teachers would do miracles, cast out demons and prophesy using His name, so are such things really a good enough way to Guage "measure" of "Spirit" a one has? undecided

4. This is not to say that it is OK for a one to have any of the signs indicated by Jesus Christ missing in his life, only that if may not be a good enough way to guage the presence of the Spirit of Truth in the life of a born-again, don't you think? undecided

I gave you the interpretation of the verse but you choose to reject it. Which is why I said you're free to have your own interpretation but it doesn't change the True interpretation that no one had the spirit in the same measure Jesus did, not even the early apostles.
It's a given.

Everyone one who is reborn of the Spirit receives the same Holyspirit.
But the measure and operation are different.

Otherwise, since you have the Holyspirit, you should operating atleast at the sane level/measure as the early apostles atleast.
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by Kobojunkie: 2:28pm On Oct 27, 2022
Myer:
1. I gave you the interpretation of the verse but you choose to reject it. Which is why I said you're free to have your own interpretation but it doesn't change the True interpretation that no one had the spirit in the same measure Jesus did, not even the early apostles.
It's a given.

2. Everyone one who is reborn of the Spirit receives the same Holyspirit. But the measure and operation are different.

3. Otherwise, since you have the Holyspirit, you should operating atleast at the sane level/measure as the early apostles atleast.
1. I didn't ask for an interpretation since a clear digest of what John the Baptist is written to have said there does not speak the same meaning which you claim. undecided

When Jesus Christ was in the womb, His mother was described in Luke 1 as being full of grace(Eternal Life). In John 1, it is written that Jesus Christ was full of Truth and Eternal Life(grace), and in John 14 vs 6 Jesus Himself reveals that He is indeed the very Eternal Life(Grace) and Truth THAT is God. In the same chapter, Jesus Christ also reveals that He and the Father will live inside of those who obey His teachings and commandments implying the very same Truth and Life will reside inside of all followers. So surely the statement made by John the Baptist in John 3 takes on more meaning when you consider this, and this idea that only Jesus Christ has the "full measure" of the Spirit of Truth begins to fall apart when you begin to put together all the other pieces of the puzzle found right in the teachings of Jesus Christ. undecided

2. Where in the teachings of Jesus Christ, Gospel, does this idea of yours come from? undecided

3. So are you insinuating then that for the apostles to have done even as Jesus Christ did means they also had the same measure of the Spirit of Truth that Jesus Christ had? undecided

4. According to Jesus Christ, in Mark 16 vs 15 - 19, all the mentioned signs will follow those who believe in Him, not some. All those signs we are to believe followed the apostles and the first Christians. Are we to assume that because these signs are rarely observed by the who profess to be Christians means Jesus Christ's claim that His Word is everlasting is made void? undecided
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by Myer(m): 2:39pm On Oct 27, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. I didn't ask for an interpretation since a clear digest of what John the Baptist is written to have said there does not speak the same meaning which you claim. undecided

When Jesus Christ was in the womb, His mother was described in Luke 1 as being full of grace(Eternal Life). In John 1, it is written that Jesus Christ was full of Truth and Eternal Life(grace), and in John 14 vs 6 Jesus Himself reveals that He is indeed the very Eternal Life(Grace) and Truth THAT is God. In the same chapter, Jesus Christ also reveals that He and the Father will live inside of those who obey His teachings and commandments implying the very same Truth and Life will reside inside of all followers. So surely the statement made by John the Baptist in John 3 takes on more meaning when you consider this, and this idea that only Jesus Christ has the "full measure" of the Spirit of Truth begins to fall apart when you begin to put together all the other pieces of the puzzle found right in the teachings of Jesus Christ. undecided

2. Where in the teachings of Jesus Christ, Gospel, does this idea of yours come from? undecided

3. So are you insinuating then that for the apostles to have done even as Jesus Christ did means they also had the same measure of the Spirit of Truth that Jesus Christ had? undecided

When the Bible says he was full of grace and truth. What does that imply to you?
Was any other father of faith or apostle so described?

It means that not every one is full of grace and truth. But a given measure which God predetermines.
Even among the apostles we know Paul Peter and John had a measure beyond the other apostles.

You have been evading the simple question I've been asking since... Are you operating at the same measure of Jesus or even the early apostles? Even if its only in terms of miracles and wisdom?
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by Kobojunkie: 3:08pm On Oct 27, 2022
Myer:
1. When the Bible says he was full of grace and truth. What does that imply to you?
2. Was any other father of faith or apostle so described?

3. It means that not every one is full of grace and truth. But a given measure which God predetermines. Even among the apostles we know Paul Peter and John had a measure beyond the other apostles.
You have been evading the simple question I've been asking since... Are you operating at the same measure of Jesus or even the early apostles? Even if its only in terms of miracles and wisdom?
1. For me, it means exactly what Jesus Christ proclaimed in John 14...
6 Jesus answered, “I am The Way, The Truth, and The Life. The only way to the Father is through me.
7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father too. But now you know the Father. You have seen him.” - John 14 vs 6 - 7
...from the very same essence that is God, the Father. undecided

2. The servants can never be the master or described as He is. undecided

3. Where does this meaning of yours come from? I keep asking for you to point to where in the teachings of Jesus Christ this idea of yours comes from as it instead seems drawn assumptions made of the limited information revealed of the lives of the apostles, and not else. If truly this only-in-measures idea of yours is of Christ, then surely, it would be indicated in His Gospel, the Truth of God, and the Law in the Kingdom of God? undecided

According to Jesus Christ, in Mark 16 vs 15 - 19, all the mentioned signs will follow those who believe in Him, not some. All those signs we are to believe followed the apostles and the first Christians. Are we to assume that because these signs are rarely observed by the who profess to be Christians means Jesus Christ's claim that His Word is everlasting is made void?

I have not been evading anything. Instead, I believe I have been undergoing what I perceive as training of some kind for some time now, courtesy of the Spirit of Truth. During this time, I have been regularly exposed to the Truths of the Kingdom of God, in a way that a Teacher exposes knew knowledge to His student, and I believe that after this period is complete for me, I too will be sent out or led to doing the work that is out there for me to do. undecided
I believe the same Spirit of Truth that lived in Jesus Christ is the same one the Father puts in all of those who live their lives in continuous submission to and obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ - John 14 vs 15 - 17 & John 14 vs 25 - 27 - not a pint of Him here or there as you instead claim. However, as Jesus Christ said, the power He reveals through us depends on the individual's submission and obedience to the Truth of Jesus Christ, and not on some measure of the Spirit given - John 8 vs 31 - 35. So, the more I expose myself and obey the Truth of God(the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ) the more the Spirit of Truth is able to use me in doing the Work of God as Jesus Christ did. As I continue to abide in Him - through submission and obedience to His teachings and commandments - He, Jesus Christ through His Spirit of Truth will continue to abide in me and also do through me that which He did and more. So the reason I am still unable to perceive all of the signs has nothing to do with measure of spirit as you assume but instead to do with my abiding in Him in order that I may eventually bear fruit as I continue .- John 15 vs 7 - 11 & John 14 vs 9 - 14. I am still working my way through all of this assured that someday soon, not only will I see the other 2 missing signs that follow those who believe - Mark 16 vs 15 - 19 - be made manifest in my life. undecided
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:16am On Nov 06, 2022
jesusjnr2020:

Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:11am On Nov 13, 2022
Amen �
Re: What The Early Church Learnt From The Gentiles About The Holy Spirit by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:55am On Feb 05, 2023
MyVILLAGEpeople:
Jesus is lord!
Amen!

(1) (Reply)

Who Was The Prophet Like Moses: Jesus Or Muhammad? / Evangelist Ebuka Fumes After A Church Member Stole 20million From The Offering B / Some Dead People Are Allowed To Remain On Earth To Guide Special Loved Ones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.