Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,671 members, 7,816,757 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

What's Your Opinion About This? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's Your Opinion About This? (3891 Views)

How Do You Deal With Spouses That Have Different Opinion About Family And Life? / My Opinion About Married Nigerians / Your Opinion On Weekend Husbands. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Opinion About This? by dsgirl: 1:36pm On Aug 19, 2011
I had a discussion with a colleague of mine and she feels it's a bad idea for husband and wife to work at the same firm/company. Personally, I think it doesn't really matter as long as they are not inside the same office, they could work in the same organisation and location. I argued that if it were to be me I would welcome such idea with open arms but she felt i didn't know what I was talking about. I just want to know other people's opinion about this. so, what do you say to husband and wife working at the same work place?
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 19, 2011
No for me. There will be nothing to share with him re work when I get home.

I wanna be able to miss him and look forward to seeing him at home when I get home.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Roland17(m): 4:37pm On Aug 19, 2011
I don't think its a good idea, it could cause distraction, unwarranted attention during working hours, and this would certainly affect the work output of both. it could also kill the excitement between both.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by ronkebp(f): 4:57pm On Aug 19, 2011
Not good,
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Johndoe100(m): 5:02pm On Aug 19, 2011
jennykadry:

No for me. There will be nothing to share with him re work when I get home.

I wanna be able to miss him and look forward to seeing him at home when I get home.

I agree with you on this.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by dayokanu(m): 5:09pm On Aug 19, 2011
Een companies dont encourage it.

Needless distractions
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Godalone(m): 6:06pm On Aug 19, 2011
It is not good
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by SisiKill1: 8:44pm On Aug 19, 2011
I work with a couple and I gotta tell ya they are the cutest. I mean the way they interact with each other, the way he comes over to her desk to see how she's doing, the way she goes get coffee for him when they are not taking their coffee breaks together, they go out to lunch together, they eat together when the bring their food from home, they IM each other every single day. . .have I said they are they cutest? Well it bears repeating. . . THEY ARE THE CUTEST. kiss kiss

Of course they are not Nigerians, so that could explain it. cheesy
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by OAM4J: 12:47am On Aug 20, 2011
Even though it really doesn't matter and it depends on how loving and matured the couples are, I dont really like it jor!
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by tundesto(m): 1:22am On Aug 20, 2011
For your information, I work in the same organisation as my wife. Though not in the same office but we are both in the same department and there is no big deal in it.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Theblessed(f): 1:52am On Aug 20, 2011
[b][size=16pt]A bit left handed for me - won't do it.

Having said that some big Organisations like NHS, BT, etc do permit couples, brothers/sisters, boyfriends/girl friends to work for them though, in different Departments and not in the same office.

Personally, if I was to find myself in this situation, my performance on the job would definitely be constrained, as I would feel, the world are monitoring every of our verbal communication and Body language, I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, one needs to be confident on their job - the contract is, the organisation pays you and provides training, and you attend work and perform the role and not another person doing the job for you.  So, for both checking on how each other is doing, implies lack of skills/confidence on the job as one supports the other in performing a role he/she contracted to do.

Basically, the job is done by their other half and that's not on. But, what would happen if the other half is transfered to another dept?  undecided undecided  Then, the chicken nyash will be seen, abi?  This can only happen in Nigeria and that's why Nigeria is riddled with Nepotism and since this is still in place, we are not going to get anywhere soon, on our back! shocked shocked

Besides, organisations that permits it, are only putting themselves at risk because, couples, relatives and friends can all collude to defraud, cover-up crime or wrong-doing in an organisation without managers knowing about it until one day when the bubble will burst.  

So either way, it's not a good idea!

[/size][/b]
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by ikmuan(m): 3:33am On Aug 20, 2011
i dont tink so
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by cold(m): 3:36am On Aug 20, 2011
So what if they met in the same company?Which means one has to resign so they don't cross paths in the office.Lonnngggggg hisssssssssssss
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Nobody: 4:17am On Aug 20, 2011
Good points @theblessed. Solid points you have up there.

I honestly don't like the idea. I mean what will we be talking about when we get home? I believe everybody needs their little space and believe me it works. The little tiime we stay away from our spouses(when we are @ work) actually makes a lot of us miss them and look forward to going home and talking about how our day went.

My man hates the sight of blood ,so I am safe in this area grin.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by MSabir: 5:55am On Aug 20, 2011
if d man is stil d boss in d office evrythng wil b ok but if it is d oda way round then it wil b directly d opposite
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by raycomray: 6:06am On Aug 20, 2011
My wife works in my company as an auditor. There is this tendency to take things personal, especially if you are supervising her. However, it has its benefits.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Abujabir24: 7:08am On Aug 20, 2011
There is nothing wrong in it as long as u will keep ur feelings until u get home. Example of dis is. Tony Almeida and Michelle Dessler worked together, Tony was the director while michelle was the next in command. So its nt a bad idea.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Tjluv: 7:41am On Aug 20, 2011
Same company?= Yes
Same office= No
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Exponental(m): 7:45am On Aug 20, 2011
Nahnah, would nt support dat.
Wat if d company becomes bankrupt, delay salary payments, folds up or does mass retrenchment n both are affected at d same time, den d family is exposed d same problem.
-"both are exposed to same risks"
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Tolulop001(f): 8:15am On Aug 20, 2011
Office oh, company oh, a big hell no for me!

had to do some business deal with my significant other sometime ago, omo see fighting, arguments, all what not.

Never again! Let's just leave it as it is abeg undecided
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by denzel2009: 8:23am On Aug 20, 2011
I used to work in an office where the husband was involved in fraudulent activities and his appointment was terminated. He was also arrested, the wife had no choice but to resign cos she couldn't handle the embarrassment.

So, whatever happens to one tend to affect the other.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Nobody: 8:33am On Aug 20, 2011
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by salix9ice(m): 9:05am On Aug 20, 2011
I don't c anything wrong with that, the most important thing is that both of them to be mature enough to know the difference of work place with home. and everything will go swiftly
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by hbabe(f): 9:34am On Aug 20, 2011
Not a good idea. I wouldn't do it.
What if the company folds up and they are both out of jobs at the same time? Bad situation.
Being in eachother's space 24 hours a day doesn't sound very interesting.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by defraim: 9:58am On Aug 20, 2011
The taste of the pudding can only be in the eating. i work in the same multinational with me wife apart from the fact that the pay is doubly good i also get the chance to spend time with my wife at lunch and we can talk anytime we want. i f you have nothing to hide then it's really a wonderful experience but when you want to play games then you'll feel caged. it helps you stay faithful.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Nobody: 10:25am On Aug 20, 2011
Same organization.yes
Same department or anywhere interest could conflict. A big NO. At my workplace, if u are in the dame dept and dating, u must report to ur line manager immediately else you will be sacked if they find out on their own. It's always stated in the welcome pack conflict of interest document which you have to read through before signing your COE.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by ronia(f): 10:38am On Aug 20, 2011
Hmm,as for mi,i will nt lyk to even marry a man in d same profession as i am not to talk of working in d same place,abegg.am a vry jealous lover and may be pissed wen i see him greeting smbdy.i better stay away.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Wumami: 12:00pm On Aug 20, 2011
I work in the same company, same office and same floor with my husband. My unit serves as control on their unit so we interface a lot. We are both heads of our teams but get by perfectly. If not for the surname, you may not know we are married. We have agreed and don't mix home with work. So far so good.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by tainot2002(m): 12:36pm On Aug 20, 2011
Exponental:

Nahnah, would nt support dat.
Wat if d company becomes bankrupt, delay salary payments, folds up or does mass retrenchment n both are affected at d same time, den d family is exposed d same problem.
-"both are exposed to same risks"

u re right on this.It might be good to some people,but job security wise not secured.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 20, 2011
i think in this case, the two individual have to know themselves better before considering this kind of thing for the benefit their family.
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by N101: 12:45pm On Aug 20, 2011
Wumami:

I work in the same company, same office and same floor with my husband. My unit serves as control on their unit so we interface a lot. We are both heads of our teams but get by perfectly. If not for the surname, you may not know we are married. We have agreed and don't mix home with work. So far so good.

I agree. I wouldn't have a problem working with my spouse in the same office, but one has to be mature enough to separate personal and professional life. If siblings can do it why not husband and wife?
Re: What's Your Opinion About This? by adeoflagos: 3:23pm On Aug 20, 2011
Not a good idea for me. At least from my point of view and experience.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Making Your Marriage Work - Wisdom For Women / Help! My Younger Sister About To Get Married, Her Pastor Says No! / Instantnaire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.