Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,322 members, 7,867,884 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 06:22 AM

Words And Parenting - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Words And Parenting (134 Views)

Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate / Top 20 Family And Parenting Blogs And Websites On The Web / Parenting Advice For Career Women From Pastor Mrs Olamide Timi David (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Words And Parenting by Familyplug(f): 10:06am On Oct 24, 2022
The bible has made us to understand that the world was framed out of nothing, but by the word of God. This is a demonstration of the potent and the power that is in the word we speak. As we all know that we were created in the image and likeness of God, and as such our words too have the power to create. It's then advisable that we use our words to create what we want to see in children.
Sometimes as parents
we ask some questions such as these.
Why don't we get expected result from our children?
if all we had ever done were right,
We were very certain that praising our children and making them know how much we are proud of their effort and achievement would build their self confidence. But why are some well praised children still unsure of themselves?.
Before you became parent , you were convinced that if you reason with your child, take time to explain to them why something's are done in a particular way, that they would respond accordingly. But why do you find yourself in argument each time you try to explain to your child. You worry about where you went wrong and why some children do not respond the way we would love and expect them to. I can imagine the beautiful plans we had, to be the best parents in the world, we even vowed to our selves never to repeat the same mistakes our parents made while trying to help us grow. The worst of it is that the very same words we said disgusting to and hated during our childhood are the same words we use on our children today. Words like; stupid, idiot, clumsy, lazy, empty. What happened to all the warmth we had to give. Why have we drifted so far away from our original plans.
The question now is "what is the language we use with children that can make a difference". It is advisable for parent to use words that describes instead of words that evaluate. We should try as much as we can to stay clear from words like; stupid, foolish, clumsy, naughty, even sometimes words like beautiful, good, wonderful, as they get in the child's way. It better not to use words that judge the child's character or capacity. Descriptive words gives room for the child to do better. Let's look at this example by Dr. Hair Ginott, " If a child were to spill a glass of milk, I would say to him or her, 'I see the milk spill; and then I'd hand him a sponge. In this way,I avoid the blame and put emphasis where it belongs-on what needs to b done. But in most cases, we tend put emphasis on the child rather than what needs to be fixed. For instance had she said something like " stupid, you always spill everything. You'll never learn,... you're too clumsy for your age... when I was at your age I could do this and that.
... believe me, the child's energy would have been mobilized for defence instead of solution-that is when you hear things like; I didn't know there was water on the floor,or it wasn't i that spill the milk but the glass you'll hear lot of excuses because the child is trying to protect his or her image. One of the reasons we have lot of defensive people...
You might be thinking that it's not so important what we say to children in as much as we tell them how much we love and value them, that we can say almost anything since love is the most important thing. Consider this illustration by Dr. Ginott" In the opinion that words themselves aren't so important as long there is love. For instance, suppose you went for a party with your spouse and you accidentally spill drink. I suspect it would make a difference if your spouse said even more affectionately, "clumsy, I see you've done it again, when they hand out prize for house wrecking you'll win first prize". I guess you've preferred it if your spouse said, honey, I see drink spill, how is can I help ! Here's my handkerchief".
It's not that, I disagree with the power of love, love is wealth. But for our love to best service our children, it has to be broken down into words that can be helpful at each moment. Even when we are angry, we can still make choices of words that won't cause emotional damage or destroy the people we truly care about.
©️
Family plug
Re: Words And Parenting by Familyplug(f): 10:26am On Oct 24, 2022
I know that parenting is not easy and I also know how difficult it is to heal from childhood trauma and I don't want any child out there to experience it... Dear parents please raise children that would not have to recover from their childhood.... I pray God help us all�.

(1) (Reply)

The Power Of Culture / Getting Them In On The Habit! A Yay Or Nay? / There Is Hope For You!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.