Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,355 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement (3529 Views)

Olamide Wants A Collabo With Retired Eldee; Gets An Epic Response From Him / A Photo of Eldee And His Family / Eldee And Wife Welcome Baby Girl! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by bovy: 4:18pm On Aug 19, 2011
Tecno, a China-based phone manufacturing company and one of Nigeria’s top selling handset brand, is now in a copyright mess over the infringement of Nigerian musicians’ intellectual properties
Affected is Lanre Dabiri, popularly known as eLDee. Tecno, it was alleged, has preloaded different songs, some by Nigerian artistes, onto memory cards embedded in their phones sold without due consultation or permission from the artistes to use the songs. the company is not ready to compensate the acts whose rights were infringed upon.

It was said that instead of the company showing remorse by granting the artiste audience and trying to reach a consensus, it became adamant and arrogant, claiming that it was helping the artistes, including eLDee, to promote their songs and as a result, didn’t owe them a dime.
Following their recalcitrance, the artiste, through his lawyer, has instituted a suit in court. At one of the hearings, the presiding judge had ordered that eLDee and his lawyers should visit Tecno’s local agents and representatives and seize all the infringing phones they find and any documents related to them.
The Nigerian Copyright Commission (NCC) has also joined in the case and is investigating the matter

http://www./2011/08/eldee-and-nigerian-copyright-commision.html
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by Earnshaw(m): 4:13am On Aug 20, 2011
[color=#990000][/color]those tecno guys should be shot. Can u imagine, who says ELDEE's songs need promotion?
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by Earnshaw(m): 4:16am On Aug 20, 2011
[color=#990000][/color]those tecno guys should be shot. Can u imagine, who says ELDEE's songs need promotion?
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by spikedcylinder: 5:07am On Aug 20, 2011
Imagine height of disrespect? Did he beg for their useless 'promotion'? What the hell is techno anyway? undecided
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by Isokoman1(m): 6:01am On Aug 20, 2011
People should stop buying their products as a protest. I hope the copyright commission fight for one of our own and don't let the Chinese walk all over us.
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by kayjegs: 7:20am On Aug 20, 2011
These guys have taken Nigerians for a ride for some time now. I think they need to be shown that they are not superior in anyway. They have to pay for infringement. Eldee should make sure he gets something from them. His song helps them and not the other way round. No be their fault, na because Nigeria dey Bleep up globally, if not who dem Chinese people be.
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 20, 2011
How I wish Nigeria Law is like US now, Eldee will be making billions now
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by oblo(m): 7:46am On Aug 20, 2011
^^ same thought here,
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by Phate07(m): 8:29am On Aug 20, 2011

Eldee should not settle out of court. They should be made to pay and also apologise for their arrogance.
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by quinne25: 9:33am On Aug 20, 2011
Did eldee say he nids promotion?
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by nigerhead(m): 10:08am On Aug 20, 2011
TEACH the Techno people a lesson, no settling outside court. I hope our copyright laws are strong enough to deal them a lesson they wont forget in a long while, and also teach other foreigners that treat us with disdain. Nigeria has good and bad parts but it doesn't make us less than human beings.
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by COOLDK(m): 10:58am On Aug 20, 2011
Tecno is fool for making such a silly statement.
Imaging how much NOKIA paid DJ Jimmy jatt to use the whole of his Definition album track on one of their brand? They are in agreement b4 proceeding. That's y Nokia will always lead d market cos they knew their rights and that of others, they won't want to mess up.
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by favouredjb(f): 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2011
i agree with everybody here,this chinese people are taking us for a ride,they need to be taught a lesson or two
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by chelseabmw(m): 1:39pm On Aug 20, 2011
shocked shocked
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by Antiscam1: 1:43pm On Aug 20, 2011
d judge is even a fool!,telling them to go and seize the phones ?, what does that mean?
Makes no sense!
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by Smi1(m): 8:32pm On Aug 20, 2011
Anti-scam:

d judge is even a fool!,telling them to go and seize the phones ?, what does that mean?
Makes no sense!

bros i just tire ohh imagine judge talking like a bloody hooligan
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 20, 2011
how can the judge say that? are they police that are given search or arrest warrants?

These chinese people sha, they've taken us for a ride. they're so stubborn and arrogant. i won't blame them sha cos they feel like gods in our own land.let me not even begin
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by semid4lyfe(m): 9:39pm On Aug 20, 2011
Na initial gra gra. . . me know sey dem go settle out of court
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by Myluv1: 12:18am On Aug 21, 2011
bovy:

It was said that instead of the company showing remorse by granting the artiste audience and trying to reach a consensus, it became adamant and arrogant, claiming that it was helping the artistes, including eLDee, to promote their songs and as a result, didn’t owe them a dime.

At one of the hearings, the presiding judge had ordered that eLDee and his lawyers should visit Tecno’s local agents and representatives and seize all the infringing phones they find and any documents related to them.

So tempted to roflmao, but I won't.
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by Genuflect(m): 2:49am On Aug 21, 2011
Omo, eLDee don hammer. Lol
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by abelian: 7:23am On Aug 21, 2011
common sense
pay Eldee like say 5 or 10 million naira before using his track, and everybody is happy.
now techno would have to cough out nothing less than 30million[i](my estimate)[/i] for using his song without authorization.
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by nelly4(f): 7:26am On Aug 21, 2011
if actually tecno made such a statement then its actially a slap on the nigerian music industry,
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by edicolove: 11:15am On Aug 21, 2011
You guys never ask questions before making comments. You just read a headline and starting saying all sorts of things. always ask questions first.

Copyright is a bad thing but do you know these artists are the ones that take their songs to alaba and co and have them put on mix tapes? they even pay to have them put on mix tapes and other medium like online sites just to have massive promo. They all do it, including Tu Baba and PSquare and Mohits. They pay large sums to these pirates to pirate their own work. They pay large sums to even DJs to play their songs. Then they come out later and shout about piracy. Piracy ko piracy ni! We should ask questions. You might be suprised, it is a lot more than the report is actually saying.
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by babsmii(m): 3:58pm On Aug 21, 2011
edicolove:

You guys never ask questions before making comments. You just read a headline and starting saying all sorts of things. always ask questions first.

Copyright is a bad thing but do you know these artists are the ones that take their songs to alaba and co and have them put on mix tapes? they even pay to have them put on mix tapes and other medium like online sites just to have massive promo. They all do it, including Tu Baba and PSquare and Mohits. They pay large sums to these pirates to pirate their own work. They pay large sums to even DJs to play their songs. Then they come out later and shout about piracy. Piracy ko piracy ni! We should ask questions. You might be suprised, it is a lot more than the report is actually saying.

fine! assume what you wrote up here is true. does it affect corporate bodies too without the artist's consent. if i take my album to alaba for production or piracy as u stated, must one si!!y phone company come from somewhere to infringe my work and the ethics of piracy in another country. I want to believe they didnt say what the media printed, else its a slap on our faces.
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by Ejike3: 5:54pm On Aug 21, 2011
I bought eLdee's cd after enjoying one of his songs on the tecno phone; and this comment is posted frm my Tecno T9.
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by eleshin(m): 6:15pm On Aug 21, 2011
@edicolove,u shud b d one to get ur 4kin facts right,2face psquare,mohits payin money for dia sngs to b on mixtape? U must be a dunce! Those guys r d biggest in africa.wats d correlation btw alaba nd techno? U deserve koboko self,eldee's sng is his intellectual property,using it commercially without his consent deserves a meeting in lawcourt.
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by adedotman5(m): 7:28pm On Aug 21, 2011
Tecno!Tecno!!Tecno!!! How many times did I call U,pls I'm an upcoming artist,Abeg come and preload my songz and I'll forever be grateful and will never sue You
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by edicolove: 7:43pm On Aug 21, 2011
eleshin:

@edicolove,u shud b d one to get your 4kin facts right,2face psquare,mohits payin money for dia sngs to b on mixtape? U must be a dunce! Those guys r d biggest in africa.wats d correlation btw alaba nd techno? U deserve koboko self,eldee's sng is his intellectual property,using it commercially without his consent deserves a meeting in lawcourt.

I dont need to join issues with you because there is no point. You are ignorant in these issues obviously and throwing insults will not make you correct. Just go to alaba and find out for yourself before you make a fool of yourself. All artists in Naija pay for their singles to be in mixtape. That is the first thing they will tell you if you take your work to alaba. It doesnt matter if your name is Tuface. Everyone does it. It cost around 200k to put your music on major mix tapes. You have to pay money to the major DJs that compile the mixtapes like Tatoo boy and others. Just go to alaba and ask of Tatoo boy and find out who he is. Apart from paying for mixtapes, the artists have to print their posters and sometimes print like 5 to 10 thousand copies of their CDs to be distributed as promo copies.

Did you not see the protest by kennys music and many of the artists (including psquare) where they asked NCC and Coson to leave the radio stations, who refused to pay for artists copyright, alone? Did it not suprise you that the artists will sabotage themselves? Do you know why they will do that?

Simple. Because there is serious competition amongst them and so they will do any thing to keep themselves in the forefront, including paying for their work to be pirated. Did you not hear when Banky W was complaining about it. Even Nneka was very sad when she was talking about it. Nigerian artist are pirating their own work! I am talking major artists. so dont come here insulting people and making a fool of yourself.

check out this link

http://www.naijarules.com/vb/all-music/34600-piracy-nigeria-ope-banwo-vs-tony-okoroji.html

and the comments

, gotcha!, piracy problems are from within the artistes themselves, how?,

1, pirates are their long term friends, on first names basis!,

2, pirates are their financiers, and many times usually indicate what they want done, in such cases the musician is not the real owner but only a contractor,

3,  where the pirates do not finance their work they buy their finished products as their marketers,

4, pirates are in some cases their producers and directors,

5, musicians do pay pirates to include their works in pirated musical collections,

6, in some cases musicians act as spies for pirates once any popular musician or film producer is in the studio or on location with a beautiful movie story,

, even i, a very small time producer, know some of them and where they reproduce their pirated work in large quantities, when i approached the most notorious one amongst them because of a film, he was bold to give to give me conditions like,

a, i must pay them a sum in advance,

b, that sum will buy me about 3 months during which it will not be pirated,

c, if i then want another 3 months i will have to pay again,

, i understand that these were the conditions they gave on JENIFA! and that the pirate amongst them who went behind them to breach the agreement was severely punished,

, all the market executives at Alaba know them but will not cooperate with any outsider, in my own case a lady who had worked inside the market linked me up with them, Ope is advised to commission a secret study of the place like a CIA job but i doubt if he will be able to persuade them, the alternative might be to visit or foist all those court cases on
.their central executives!, 

, sorry i wan go sleep,
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by jsmogz: 6:54am On Aug 22, 2011
eldee my man wat ever it's takes to be there------------just be there
Re: Eldee And Nigerian Copyright Commision Battle Tecno Over Infringement by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:20pm On Aug 22, 2011
Whether Eldee Cries Blood and Shiits Stone, If the NCC was not in the forefront of this battle then Eldee is doomed to failure, wait till our corrupt judges get a token deposit in their bank accounts from the Chinese Tecno baboons.

(1) (Reply)

Photos : Lady Gaga Strips Naked At G.A.Y 'venus' Debut Performance (18+) / 18+ Only! Wanna Be Tonto: Princess Pemu Place Her Tempting Ass On Instagram / Nkoli Nwa Nsuka Vs Ada Mbaisi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.