Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,473 members, 7,830,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Thread closed. - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Thread closed. (1840 Views)

Urgent: I Need Team Members For eNaira Hackathon. Thread Closed / Thread closed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread closed. by Emarex: 7:25pm On Oct 25, 2022
Devdevdev:
Anyone using Books to learn to code is actually an idiot. Books are for seasoned programmers mainly as a form of reference.

As a Beginner, you don't need books to learn a language. You will end up frustrated, confused and you will feel like giving up. Ignore any clown that suggests books to you.

Instead of books, use videos. Videos are practical forms of learning; you see what's going on and you can immediately apply it. You can get udemy courses or quality YouTube tutorials that walk you through every step.

This is not true bro. The main thing is getting the right book
Re: Thread closed. by Sapeleboy911(m): 8:02pm On Oct 25, 2022
Devdevdev:

Go back to sapele,, you dunce.
If only a condom was used that faithful night. I believe you know the rest.
Re: Thread closed. by Sapeleboy911(m): 8:18pm On Oct 25, 2022
Just because something worked or is working for you, doesn't mean it will work for others. It shouldn't be too hard for a functioning brain to figure out the meaning of the above statement. My opinion remains, books and documentation will give you more details about a particular concept or topic. I first read about a topic from either books or documentation, then watch 1 or 2 videos on that same topic to drive home the concept. Not the other way around. And I won't come to a forum and start calling those who don't share the same opinion with me, idiots.

1 Like

Re: Thread closed. by Devdevdev(f): 8:23pm On Oct 25, 2022
Sapeleboy911:

If only a condom was used that faithful night. I believe you know the rest.

It's fateful, not faithful. Olodo
Re: Thread closed. by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 25, 2022
Devdevdev:
Anyone using Books to learn to code is actually an idiot. Books are for seasoned programmers mainly as a form of reference.

As a Beginner, you don't need books to learn a language. You will end up frustrated, confused and you will feel like giving up. Ignore any clown that suggests books to you.

Instead of books, use videos. Videos are practical forms of learning; you see what's going on and you can immediately apply it. You can get udemy courses or quality YouTube tutorials that walk you through every step.

Everything have learnt this past four months is through freeCodeCamp. When it comes to building I use mdn, stackoverflows, css-tricks and sometimes w3schools as platforms for digging deep especially mdn docs. Have never watched a video not like I won't but till I get my PC. And am doing just fine baba, what do you say?
Re: Thread closed. by Sapeleboy911(m): 8:32pm On Oct 25, 2022
Devdevdev:

It's fateful, not faithful. Olodo
Idiot
Re: Thread closed. by Devdevdev(f): 8:35pm On Oct 25, 2022
Jualine:

Everything have learnt this past four months is through freeCodeCamp. When it comes to building I use mdn, stackoverflows, css-tricks and sometimes w3schools as platforms for digging deep especially mdn docs. Have never watched a video not like I won't but till I get my PC. And am doing just fine baba, what do you say?

What I am saying is that you will learn 3 times faster with videos.

So you spent 4 months learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript?
Re: Thread closed. by Devdevdev(f): 8:38pm On Oct 25, 2022
Most people here are saying books are better than videos because they don't have data or free WiFi access to download large sized videos.

1 Like

Re: Thread closed. by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 25, 2022
Devdevdev:

What I am saying is that you will learn 3 times faster with videos.

So you spent 4 months learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript?
I used 1 month to learn html-css on freeCodeCamp, took the Responsive Web Designing course twice then move to Js, still on Js n m somehow comfortable with the basics...isn't this fast enough?
Re: Thread closed. by MikeyOz: 9:13pm On Oct 25, 2022
Let me break this down for you
Let assume this first page is ur brain and when u read one book there is one dot on Ur brain….
{image 1}

A line between dots represents a connection between ideas.
{image 2}

Reading books gives your brain more dots to work with...
{image 3}

Then, it helps you connect these dots
{image 4}

The more connections you have, the more understanding you develop both logically, spatially and otherwise...

3 Likes

Re: Thread closed. by MikeyOz: 9:20pm On Oct 25, 2022
So, change the title to
"Your personal perspective about reading books"

Or
" Why you've always hated reading books"

Don't misguide anyone!!

2 Likes

Re: Thread closed. by Newusername(m): 10:09pm On Oct 25, 2022
This is a stupid assumption you are making Mr. What works for A may or may mot work for B. Also learn to pass your message without insulting and generalizing. Your posts depicts that you are someone who is so full of himself and thinks whatever you say is the right and final say.

I learnt the Python programming language with just reading two books(Crash-course in python and Al-automate the boring stuff) and only use videos to go in depth in what I was learning and am also using documentations(not video)to learn Javascript.

To those just starting anything that works for you is fine..

2 Likes

Re: Thread closed. by Najdorf: 3:43pm On Oct 26, 2022
Biko rest, books or videos find what works for you.
Re: Thread closed. by emetisuccess(m): 5:32pm On Oct 26, 2022
I read a lot of books when I started programming and I'm still reading at this point coupled with videos. Reading books makes u know things that will not be in the videos u are watching. Most of the videos came in an abridged form. So, I still prefer using pdf textbooks.
Re: Thread closed. by CodingSoft: 9:53pm On Oct 26, 2022
Devdevdev:
Most people here are saying books are better than videos because they don't have data or free WiFi access to download large sized videos.

True. Reading a book today with the amount of resources on youtube now, is like riding a bike from Nigeria to Europe instead of travelling by air.

Like you said before books are only good on the introduction page.

Even books are no use for referencing today when you have stackoverflow and online documentation of the language you are learning.

You only need to quote from a book if you are at uni as it's a requirement.

1 Like

Re: Thread closed. by banidoc(m): 11:29pm On Oct 26, 2022
emetisuccess:
I read a lot of books when I started programming and I'm still reading at this point coupled with videos. Reading books makes u know things that will not be in the videos u are watching. Most of the videos came in an abridged form. So, I still prefer using pdf textbooks.

Please do you mind sharing your books with me?
Re: Thread closed. by emetisuccess(m): 12:14am On Oct 27, 2022
banidoc:

Please do you mind sharing your books with me?

No probs drop me ur email address
Re: Thread closed. by banidoc(m): 9:08pm On Nov 01, 2022
emetisuccess:

No probs drop me ur email address

Sorry for the late response
Email : banilliongs@gmail.com

What address should I be expecting the mail from?
Re: Thread closed. by emetisuccess(m): 11:46pm On Nov 01, 2022
banidoc:

Sorry for the late response
Email : banilliongs@gmail.com

What address should I be expecting the mail from?
emetisuccess@gmail.com
Re: Thread closed. by Sheriman(m): 12:16pm On Nov 02, 2022
That guy no get sense at all!!
If you're fine watching videos go for it
If you're fine reading official documentation, PDFS or programming books go for it.
So why calling people idiot?
Re: Thread closed. by ifecorepublic: 2:43pm On Nov 02, 2022
OP still dey do "notice me". Whether video, audio, radio or written notes, all join. Most video tutorial programs also come with readings and it's necessary to take notes while watching those videos because you can't have it all in your head at once, you can always go back to your notes for reference.
Re: Thread closed. by TheRollingStone: 3:37pm On Nov 02, 2022
Speak for yourself. Book reading is a better way to understand how these things come together and connect to form a unit
Re: Thread closed. by banidoc(m): 7:44pm On Nov 02, 2022
emetisuccess:

emetisuccess@gmail.com

Okay I’m still expecting the email from you. Thank you
Re: Thread closed. by emetisuccess(m): 8:21pm On Nov 02, 2022
banidoc:

No probs.
Re: Thread closed. by emetisuccess(m): 3:32pm On Nov 10, 2022
banidoc:

Please, I'm currently writing my final year exams, please, as soon as I'm done, I'll send it to u please. Don't lose hope. Thanks for understanding.
Re: Thread closed. by emetisuccess(m): 9:53am On Jan 29, 2023
banidoc:

Check ur mail, I've drop u the textbooks. Sorry it came very late. There's a project I'm handling now, that's why.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Compute CGPA With Vb.net / All You Will Ever Need To Learning Web Development The Right Way / Earn Handsomely With These New IT Certifications Of The Future

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.