Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,535 members, 7,847,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 01:03 PM

Please Help(dead Serious) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Please Help(dead Serious) (836 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help(dead Serious) by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 19, 2011
Please help me, my Co-Webmasters, i no longer enjoy coding and yet, it has not yet reach my appointed time to dove my hat, and take my fingers off the keys.

Even if it's a single simple line or logic i can do, i am just too lazy and proud to code.

Have so many jobs down and request, but i hardly attend to them.

The best i have done since my 4 Months break was put(ing) together a site with graphic help from PC Guru. All the serious applications and ground breaking stuffs i have been developing, have been on a long hold.

I am afraid i might just give out all the codes for those apps and give it like a tutorial then retire!

Please guys advice! [size=18pt]and also ladies of course[/size]
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 19, 2011
i think you need a week break to stay off coding that way the motivation and news ideas will come to you.i have two days facing the computer thinking of what tutorial or concept to do and nothing comes to mind. but since am leaving my job i hope i ave more time.take a break the inspiration will come back trust me.
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by yawatide(f): 2:35pm On Aug 20, 2011
too proud to code? hmm. Sounds like you aren't getting paid what you are worth
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by Mobinga: 3:54pm On Aug 20, 2011
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 20, 2011
Hmm, these kinda stuff happens to me too - especially when i have coded and coded and my head is removing smoke.
For now, i have cleared up most of my pressing works - just have minor site updates to do here and there, and since
yesterday - i have been playing MAD RACE - and it is quite a blast - i have won all the races, so i just resumed coding.

Meanwhile, i have completed my framework about 2 weeks ago and have used it for a lot of websites - just to start the documentation
of the framework - na so so gameplay.

One thing i do most times i am bored is to write a tutorial on something - that keeps me going atimes
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by ogzille(m): 7:51pm On Aug 20, 2011
speaking from similar experience (though different duration), complete the laziness cycle but with a target.

You can make your mind to sleep and lazy for 2 days after which you commence serious work like never before. set targets as well (well defined targets, eg. by 1pm i must have done the home page layout, , )

You can overcome it
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 20, 2011
Hmmmmm,

Great Advices!

@Yawatide. Not sure grin
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by Nobody: 9:56pm On Aug 20, 2011
Talking of cycles, for me - my cycle is this:
I can code for 14-18hrs / day for about 2 weeks. After that, my brain gets jammed, and i play a bit for the next 1 week.

I have discovered that i cannot write codes everyday even if it is 1hr/24hrs. Some days, all i just want to do is watch movies,
some other days, some other days - i play video games throughout

My favorite games are strategy games that help challenge me:
- Desperados dead or live Game Part 1, 2 / Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots, Rise of Legends,
Command and Conquer, Commandos, Call of Duty

Then of course, Car racing games: Need for speed - Most Wanted (still my favorite), then, when i can find a partner, i may play
Soccer - The New Fifa 11 is very tight, if you dont like the complications - try PES 11 - both are a blast, but Fifa is better graphic wise.

Or i can go to my other hobbies - like Learning Languages - I just started some Japanese Learning - from ehm - Genkijapan.net
(At least i can now write / say 1 - 20 in Japanese, and i know colors now in japanese)
I can go to spanish chatrooms also - like www.chatear.com - learnt some spanish earlier outa boredom.

The truth is writing codes alone is very very boring and annoying too. That is why i do a lot of things aside codes like going to Salsa
Dance Classes - on top of all i have written above. . . .
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by Thatdave(m): 5:26pm On Aug 21, 2011
cakephp has reduced the number of codes i write to create a web app my cms will even reduce this futher. I dnt imagine myself writing too many codes in d future.
I can code 18 hrs /day for two months. Before taking a break.
*dhtml tell me, are u self employed? Where are u?
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by yawatide(f): 7:04pm On Aug 21, 2011
OP: Here's the scoop:

If you are at such a place in your life, stop being selfish (and I mean this respectfully) and outsource the jobs to others.  Don't look at it as a cost, but as a benefit as you will then free up your time to do what it is you actually want to do.

For example:
If you make $1000 per job on average, you can afford to outsource the jobs at say $200.  You might look at it as making only $800 but I look at it differently.  I look at it as, "the time I would have used to do 1 job is now time I can use to get 3 other jobs, not do a thing on those jobs, yet get paid for doing nothing"

This is how to do business.  Enough of the OYO levels. It is what i killing us in naija, generally speaking.

Make sense?
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 21, 2011
@dhtml. Gone are the days i code long hours. This days my stretch is 6 Hours(Can't remember when last i did that)

Currently in ABJ arrived today, so will be developing nearly 24/7. A client requested an express site which should be completed in Two Days. Nothing beats being a developer. 1st Class Hotel, Feeding, Transport, except no Women!

@Yawa. Ya i get you, but the issue is a good developer who can get me something good won't take $200. This days developers eye don dey chook!

The best i do is. I get someone else do my graphics, while i face the overall design. Like see that it meets my mark/design pattern!

So what can one do?
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 21, 2011
Thatdave:

cakephp has reduced the number of codes i write to create a web app my cms will even reduce this futher. I dnt imagine myself writing too many codes in d future.
I can code 18 hrs /day for two months. Before taking a break.
*dhtml tell me, are u self employed? Where are u?
I am self-employed, and also work as Contract Staff for some companies.

I do outsource as well. I do a lot of things in my coding time ::
- Part of it is testing out several code libraries
- Studying to improve my skills even more
- Upgrading my code library
- Learning how to use other CMS / Frameworks
- I spend less than 50% of my coding time working on real-life projects.
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by divinetalent(m): 9:59pm On Aug 27, 2011
From experince i had, every programmer should have a vigrous excercise he or she is doing to avoid total break down or madness. The best time to organise a program is when you are relaxing or sleeping and the best time to code is when your brain is free from stress so that u can think and reason sharp. For me i prefer coding in the early morning like 1am to when my brain is saturated. It not coding 24 hrs a day that matters but the intelligence behind your code . . . . I will Code Still I Die . . . So help Me GOD
Re: Please Help(dead Serious) by sisqology(m): 7:20am On Aug 28, 2011
Amen :p

(1) (Reply)

Learning Web Design @ 37! / Video Tutorial On C++ And Fireworks / Help Me Webmasta's(graphic Plus,dhtml,dual Core,iyenimofe Etc)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.