Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,962 members, 7,952,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:30 AM

Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria (27974 Views)

No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed / Bashir Ahmed Blasts Nigerians For Seeking Social Media Followers Under NCDC Post / COVID-19: Enugu Approves Assurance Package For Doctors, Other Health Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by kingthreat(m): 4:30am On Oct 27, 2022
lomaxx:

Your first two points are moot. Everyone studying in a public university in Nigeria enjoys subsidised education. Singling medical education out makes it seem like you have an undisclosed personal agenda. Unless you are going to ensure that these are applicable to others as well, then you have a fantastic point.

To be honest, nobody has to slave for you because they made a career decision. The world has come a very long way and you guys are waay waaay behind.

You are right bro. But I am seeing a decline in the Nigerian health system
The rich and elite have the money for medical treatment abroad and expensive hospitals in Nigeria.
The average or poor will be left in the hands of God with the exodus of medical staff.
Please do not support the brain drain of medical practitioners. The leaders have an alternative, the common man does not.

1 Like

Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by abulkhairi2019(m): 5:56am On Oct 27, 2022
Insha Allahu Nigeria will be great again and all those that don't like Nigeria will be on shame.
Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by UnimkeAk(m): 6:03am On Oct 27, 2022
omonnakoda:
One of the problems of too much eba and internet access
They can go to Private uni
Do u think university education is cheap in those countries that they go to practice
Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by EagleNest(m): 6:07am On Oct 27, 2022
Until all the children of elites are banned from traveling abroad and stay to develop Nigeria, no one should discourage or stop you from traveling abroad if you want to. Hypocrites and self righteous people want you to endure a hopeless situation they created but won't want to suffer the pain themselves.
Until we decide to make Nigeria work for everybody, nobody should stop you from leaving the country legally if you can.

2 Likes

Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by omonnakoda: 6:10am On Oct 27, 2022
UnimkeAk:

They can go to Private uni
Do u think university education is cheap in those countries that they go to practice
It is easy to sit in front of a computer to spew things without thinking them through practically. That is what children do . Yes all you need to do is just say it and it happens right?
If it was that easy it would have happened a long time ago.
Complex problems require complex thinking often not childish and impulsive actions .

Where in the world do you know that that has worked?
We are talking a solution that can work in the real world not the cyber world
Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by Nobody: 6:17am On Oct 27, 2022
Rubbish. Doctors earn more than politicians in sensible nations of the world. Not so in Nigeria where worthless politicians earn a fortune while our doctors and police officers are paid pittance literally.

If our police men could gain employment abroad we'd have no police officers left because of how appallingly they are treated in Nigeria.

You get out what you put in. It seems Baba-Ahmed does not understand that.

1 Like

Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by omonnakoda: 6:23am On Oct 27, 2022
A more practical solution is to realize doctors are not the only component of health care delivery
It is possible to train professionals at nurse level or lower to help with the most common problems affecting our masses

Not everything needs doctors.
As far as brain drain goes . It is not just doctors but everyone who can wants to leave . Look at the ASUU situation? Whilst that was happening Aisha Buhari was taking graduation pictures in London.
We need a total all encompassing solution.

Public universities are subsidized for everybody not just doctors.
There used to be a time that many Cameroonians came to Nigeria to study. They paid and when they finished they left. There was nothing to stay for.

That is what needs fixing .Make the country more palatable not all these military style coercive solutions

1 Like

Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by Profayo: 6:31am On Oct 27, 2022
kingthreat:

Sir, to pay them like Europe, patients have to pay like they pay in Europe.
We can take a cue from India and offer healthcare at lower costs and become a medical tourism destination in Africa.
Leadership has really been a dire problem as it is bereft of ideas.

Patients in UK don't pay for healthcare
Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by omonnakoda: 6:33am On Oct 27, 2022
kingthreat:

The rich and elite have the money for medical treatment abroad and expensive hospitals in Nigeria.
The average or poor will be left in the hands of God with the exodus of medical staff.
Please do not support the brain drain of medical practitioners. The leaders have an alternative, the common man does not.
Emotional stuff how is he supporting brain drain? Because he pointed out the unrealistic nature of your solution?

To fix brain drain you have to fix the cause.

The situation started in 1984 under General Buhari
Doctors went on strike and he sent soldiers to evict them from their official quarters with their families withing 48 hours. Those in medical school then saw it and knew there was no future.
First the major exodus was to Saudi even before the West but the government does not treat doctors well

It is not just money

doctors are like sportsmen
They need to train to stay sharp and fit
and the facilities in Nigeria are poor .There is no investment in training or equipment .
Babangida did a lot for doctors but by then it was already too late

Medical students in Nigeria have already started sitting United States conversion exams even before graduating

Do not forget that doctors from a JAMB perspective are among the best brains in Nigeria. They could study any course and the reality of Nigeria shows that studying medicine is a mistake from a financial perspective

1 Like

Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by Decent09(m): 7:05am On Oct 27, 2022
Mide70:
I give glory to God that I'm not a northerner, reason been that the way they reason and talk is different from normal people around the world .. imagine what this one is saying ? He expects us all to suffer like they are suffering .. funny enough his family may not be here in Nigeria .. so dumb set of people. So you all want our doctors and other professionals that are short paid while your brothers in the north take large percentage of oil money to still remain and suffer in this nation ? Never!!!

Ok oo don't forget while going carry all your family and go jare, at least even if they didn't employ you , you go join Drugs or Human trafficking.
Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by Nextbrand: 8:05am On Oct 27, 2022
As if he did not school abroad...
People are going abroad for the same purpose. Trying to be relevant in society.
You shouldn't be insecure, the majority will be back to match up with you fokks.

1 Like

Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by Martinez39s(m): 8:12am On Oct 27, 2022
kingthreat:
Solutions to these are
[s]1. Make Medical Education the same cost as it is in the UK, US and Western Europe. [/s]
[s]2. Leave Medical Education subsidized but let every nurse doctor, health professional know that they are getting medical training on a platter of gold. Compel them to sign an agreement of at least 5 - 10year service in the country.[/s]

While this is going on, please try and create a system of better pay for doctors and nurses. They are the real heroes saving lives not Naira Marley, Davido or Tonto Dikeh.
Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by kingthreat(m): 8:49am On Oct 27, 2022
[quote author=Martinez39s post=117909625][/quote]

Learn some little coding. Your strikeouts didn't work
Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by lomaxx: 9:04am On Oct 27, 2022
kingthreat:

I will give you a personal experience. After my Masters, I had an offer to move to another country but I reconsidered the idea and choose to come back to Nigeria to do my NYSC and work in the Nigerian health sector. I worked for some time for the military as a civilian medical officer and moved to a health startup (non-clinical role). I was also working in a private hospital in Lekki as a medical officer. The health startup started me on a 700k salary and moved me to 1.3m after one year. Guess how much I was paid in the private hospital? Less than 200k.

Frankly, I did not need the private hospital job but I did it out of passion for the job. So many times while working in that hospital, my patients ask me "why are you still in Nigeria?" "why haven't you left?". But I just kept doing it with a smile on my face.

The funny part was: the guys abroad who gave me the offer after my Masters were still calling me to find out if I was still interested. Frankly, I wanted to stay back in Nigeria but after the events of 20th October 2020, I made up my mind to apply for the visa after more than 1 year of indecision. My visa, health insurance, flight etc was sponsored. They promised me a resettlement allowance and told me if I applied for my visa and started from Nigeria, they are going to pay me from my date of visa grant until the day I arrive their country.

I left Nigeria but with no regrets. Because I tried to stay with my convictions. But sometimes convictions do not pay bills, neither can they guarantee you a system that works. So yes, I do not support brain drain. Especially because I am doing so much for another country whereas my country will have benefitted from me if things were done right. But here we are.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by kingthreat(m): 9:11am On Oct 27, 2022
lomaxx:

I will give you a personal experience. After my Masters, I had an offer to move to another country but I reconsidered the idea and choose to come back to Nigeria to do my NYSC and work in the Nigerian health sector. I worked for some time for the military as a civilian medical officer and moved to a health startup (non-clinical role). I was also working in a private hospital in Lekki as a medical officer. The health startup started me on a 700k salary and moved me to 1.3m after one year. Guess how much I was paid in the private hospital? Less than 200k.

Frankly, I did not need the private hospital job but I did it out of passion for the job. So many times while working in that hospital, my patients ask me "why are you still in Nigeria?" "why haven't you left?". But I just kept doing it with a smile on my face.

The funny part was: the guys abroad who gave me the offer after my Masters were still calling me to find out if I was still interested. Frankly, I wanted to stay back in Nigeria but after the events of 20th October 2020, I made up my mind to apply for the visa after more than 1 year of indecision. My visa, health insurance, etc was sponsored. They promised me a resettlement allowance and told me if I applied for my visa and started from Nigeria, they are going to pay me from my date of visa grant until the day I arrive their country. This amount later accumulated to $20,000.

I left Nigeria but with no regrets. Because I tried to stay with my convictions. But sometimes convictions do not pay bills, neither can they guarantee you a system that works. So yes, I do not support brain drain. Especially because I am doing so much for another country whereas my country will have benefitted from me if things were done right. But here we are.

Thanks for sharing your story. It is well with our health system
Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by Martinez39s(m): 9:18am On Oct 27, 2022
kingthreat:

Learn some little coding. Your strikeouts didn't work
How do you strikeout on nairaland? The usual code isn't working.
Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by 30naira: 9:59am On Oct 27, 2022
kingthreat:

The cost of learning medical education in Nigeria is way lower than learning it in most other countries. By way lower, I mean at least 1/10th the cost.
Now imagine after learning it on a platter of gold here, you now go and give that service to a society that would insist you pay way bigger money before studying in their country.
Please google the cost of medical education in the UK and compare to whatever cost it is in public universities here.

Let me take my time to break this down for you, and hope you read with an open mind.

When comparing the cost of a commodity across different countries with different economic realities, people often fall into the trap of doing currency conversion, which I believe is what you did when you compared cost of Education in Nigeria to UK. Let me explain why that is wrong.

1) An item that costs £1 in UK may be cheap, it doesn't mean that the same item will be considered cheap in Nigeria if it costs #820 (because £1=#820). I live in Bristol, my 1 bedroom flat is considered cheap, it cost £700 a month. Will you consider over 500k/month for a 1 bedroom apartment as cheap in Nigeria? Or should i then say people have houses 'on a platter of gold' in Nigeria as you said? Will it reasonable to insist that rent is cheap in Nigeria because of what i pay in Bristol? I guess not. The reason is simply that the economic realities are different.

2) When you want to compare if something is cheap or expensive between two places, you must factor in the various economic realities. e.g average wages, inflation, minimum wage etc. The fact that it costs £9700 a year for a nursing degree in UK doesn't mean that #300000 a year in Nigeria is cheap. The minimum wage in UK is around £890 a month. In Nigeria it is #30000 a month. The same struggle and hardship it takes to raise £9700 in UK is the same struggle it takes to raise #300000 in Nigeria. It is neither cheap here nor there.

3) Another trap people fall into is comparing public universities in Nigeria funded by taxpayers to privately funded schools abroad. If you must compare, compare private uni to private uni. That £9700 quoted above is school fees for a privately funded university. In Nigeria, a private uni will charge #2m and above a year for the same program. So in actual economic terms, it may be more expensive in Nigeria, given the fact that £9700 is nearly the minimum wage for a year in UK, and #2m is almost 70x the minimum wage in Nigeria

4) If you think education is cheap in Nigeria, it is not because the government is subsidising it, it is simply because of our economic reality. I studied Nursing in Nigeria, in a state university. I paid 160k a year .it cost me 800k for 5 years. And I got 800k worth of Education. If you say it is cheap, it is also because the standard is also poor. I spent 8 years in a 5 years program. Not because i failed. The government did not subsidise it. If anything I paid with my sanity and peace of mind.

5) Lastly no healthcare professional is asking for the same wages as the ones paid abroad. I earn £2500 - £3000 a month here, I can not reasonably ask the Nigerian government to pay me #1000000 a month in Nigeria. By our economic reality in Nigeria, that would be outrageous. While I was in Nigeria, we were begging for a hazard allowance of #30,000 . How much does a senator collect as hardship allowance? I'd like you to channel your blame properly. Do not victimise people who genuinely left to find a better life

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 27, 2022
Shameful, all these over subsidized northern elites who are divorced from the present Nigerian situation.
Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by Mide70: 3:35pm On Oct 27, 2022
Geeman2006:

See this stupid thinking. Give glory you're not a northerner. A person expressed his personal opinion and you're calling North. Did he mention any North in his statement. Some of you are just shameless Natural ingrained Bigots.
Come out with your chest and abuse Northerners straight up. Dont wait for someone to express his personal opinion and lump it as a General opinon.
You mention Oil money undecided The Billions & 13% derivation your governors are getting , you cant challenge them on what is being done with it. No, But other regions is your problem. This same Oil money your leaders connive with politicians across the country to embezzzle. If youre going to be foooolish, do it with sense please. undecided
thank you for the insults.. how is your day going ? Stay blessed and Calm
Re: Hakeem Baba-Ahmed Blasts Doctors & Other Professionals Leaving Nigeria by Mide70: 3:36pm On Oct 27, 2022
asanausana91:
if you are sensible you will ask yourself who built the country you are running to.
As foolish as you sound, you will still depends on the north for survival.
You shamelessly insult the whole North
how is your day going ? Thanks for the insults ... Stay cool and have a great day

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rabiu Biyaro Endorsed Atiku One Month Ago, Unendorsed Him Spotted With Buhari / APC: Kyari Is Acting National Chairman, Fuanter Acting National Secretary / Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.