Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,102 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed (25420 Views)

President Tinubu Yet To Move Into Villa Six Weeks After Inauguration / Tinubu Yet To Show Up For Lesser Hajj Five Days To End Of Pilgrimage In Mecca / Atiku, Obi, Tinubu Yet To Break Out Of Strongholds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by ogododo: 10:23am On Jul 01, 2023
The Director, Publicity and Advocacy, Northern Elders Forum, NEF, Dr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed advises President Bola Ahmed Tinubu not to rush, but thread with care and not put too much burden on the already overburdened citizenry, adding that the effect of his policy such as liberalisation of the exchange regime, the increase in the cost of power, as well as the inevitable increase in school fees as a result of the education loan will add up to the burden of already overburdened Nigerians.

In this interview with Saturday Vanguard, he also counsels that the President should not appoint anyone with any slightest hint of corruption, emphasizing that Nigeria cannot stand more years of misgovernance, indifference and incompetence of Buhari. Excerpts.

What is happening in Kano now should be a source of concern for the Northern
Elders like you, don’t you see it as pettiness laced with vengeance?

It is a source of concern. If a legitimate government, elected to respect the rule of law will allocate land and it will be questioned in terms of impropriety then we have a very serious reason to worry. Also, if another government has reason for retrieving that land, except by demolishing all the buildings, then we have double jeopardy. It is difficult to see how to get out of this.

Who does more wrong, is it the government that gave out land or the government that operates under the pretext of correcting the ills of past government, embarking on something that has a semblance of vengeance? We are worried and we have to find a way of breaking the vicious circle. Preceding governments have done so many things that are wrong and a new government will say we are going to upturn it.

That is our worry now, not so much the buildings. This is a very serious issue, a country like Nigeria cannot progress with this caliber of people that became our governors and legislators. We have to find a way of breaking the circle. We are degenerating.

Is there any internal mechanism of the Northern Elders Forum deployed to call the governors to order?

Well, the governors are new. What we want to do is to start on a very strong footing with all the Northern governors. We are trying to encourage them to adopt uniform policies for a lot of issues that are absolutely essential to reducing insecurity, and poverty as well as dealing with the weaknesses of our traditional institutions and values; dealing with the issue of poor education, girl-child education, and the Al-Majiri education.

We believe that we can encourage them to adopt a common position on all of these issues. We used to have one north, now we have 19 governors, a full-blown government with executive, legislators, and judiciary. There is no way we can progress with this style of governance. So, we will encourage them to rise above partisanship and rise above pettiness, and vengeance. Of course, we are worried about what individual governors are doing and that is why we have to caution them and offer words of advice. It is really disturbing.

It is not the action of one governor, it is the fact that we don’t appear to understand that the rule of law must be maintained. If you don’t have business allocating land, then you shouldn’t do it even if you have the power under the law. Secondly, if you have the power to demolish buildings that must have cost billions of naira, don’t do it because you have the power, because it couldn’t have been the only option. In between the two positions, we ought to find a way.

I know some of those who emerged as governors are decent and responsible people and we are exploring how we can build a good relationship.

Looking back to Buhari’s government and what we have seen in terms of policy direction, would you say we now have a semblance of a good government?

No, I won’t. Eight years ago when President Buhari came, he cleared all checkpoints, removed Service Chiefs, and ordered the military to relocate to Borno, then Boko Haram was chased and limited substantially. These were greeted by the same euphoria. There was enthusiasm that he would fight corruption, insecurity, and a bad economy.

But look at where we are now after eight years, we are worse than when he came in. Certainly, the entire country had not been in the situation before. So, forgive me if the Northern Elders Forum has a different perspective on the euphoria as a result of the tentative action or salvo being released by President Tinubu against the economy, corruption and service chiefs, and others. I will rather exercise some reservations. It is good he is starting with some policies, but he has to be very careful, he should not rush into putting in policies just because he wants to be different from Buhari. Although by all means, any worst government will be better than Buhari’s government of misrule, indifference, and incompetence.

I am sorry if I don’t share your enthusiasm (about Tinubu). I will rather advise him to be different from Buhari, and address those issues that needed to be addressed with courage and sensitivity. Buhari had lowered the bar of governance and lowered our status of existence; insecurity and poverty are more pronounced.

So, Tinubu should pay attention to two key things. One, the failures of Buhari can be repeated if not careful, he should not get carried away by the euphoria of actions and picking points. Secondly, he should be careful about policies.

For me, I will not rush but I also will not hesitate to put a distance between Tinubu’s administration and Buhari’s. Tinubu’s administration must be infinitely better because this country cannot stand another eight years of misgovernance, indifference, and incompetence.

One of his major policies now is the removal of the subsidy. Yes, a lot of people agree subsidy should go, but do you think it could have been better handled by first providing palliatives to cushion the effect of the removal?

Honestly, I don’t know how better he could have handled it. Incidentally, Tinubu didn’t remove the subsidy. Buhari did by providing for it until June when he knew the new administration would be in place.

Tinubu came in and to find out the subsidy had been removed. So, he shouldn’t take credit for removing the subsidy. Yes, he would have removed the subsidy if it was in place, but Buhari removed it.

Yes, but the issue is ameliorating the effect of the removal, by first providing for the attendant hardship, pain, and rising prices of things.

Yes, I agree with you in principle. If I were speaking for Tinubu, I will say, it is not my administration that removed the subsidy. It is Buhari. If he had done that, he would have been giving credit to where it belonged and blame to where it should be laid. Then, it is only on the palliatives that Tinubu will be held responsible.

Yes, everybody agreed, it has to go, but do you just remove subsidy and cause a massive decline in our already desperate condition and circumstances under which we live where the cost of living is now ten times higher? It is a legitimate question for some relief. I also want to remind you that it is not just the only thing that is likely to add up. The liberalisation of the exchange regime is also another area that will have a multiplier effect on Nigerians. The increase in the cost of power is also another one. The increase in school fees as a result of the education loan is another one. If one is to advise the Tinubu administration, I will tell him to watch it and not to put too much burden on the already overburdened citizenry.

As good as the policies are, some need to be critically examined before you roll them out, while others need to be examined with some level of compassion and sympathy so that you are not seen to be governing a country where 90% of the populace are in desperate choices and circumstances.

So what are your hopes in this government?

I hope that Tinubu will find good and competent Nigerians. Two, they will have excellent records of achievements in their different areas of life and a high level of personal integrity. Integrity is absolutely vital here and I will place it first. He should not appoint anybody with the slightest hint of corruption. Fighting corruption must be prioritised above everything. That is very important because we need good people to help run this country.

I mean real good people, not just politicians who are being rewarded for doing one thing or the other during the electioneering period. We want the best for Nigerians. A nation of 200 million people, Nigerians are among the best brains in the world and they are willing to serve this country and pull it from the precipice where we stand.
I hope President Tinubu will find those people and he should thrust responsibility on them and also hold them responsible. I hope he will find these people because corruption has to be fought to a standstill. It is eating the heart of this country. Corruption is responsible for all the insecurity that you find around, at the bottom of it, you will find corruption. It is responsible for the recession in the economy, it is responsible for the lack of faith of the citizen in government and their leaders. It is responsible for the moral corruption we see among our youth.

It is corruption that is destroying this country and unless we prioritise the fight against corruption, you will never get anything done. Because for every Naira you put on the table, 90 kobos of it will be stolen by the people you put in charge of it. So, Tinubu appointees must be able to fight corruption and fight it well without becoming victims of corruption. They have to break the circle. Public office is not for corrupt people. We have people who have just been sworn in weeks ago. From the way they conducted their campaigns and the lots of money spent, you will know the only reason they are skimming to get into public offices. It is not to serve but to steal public funds. Those people must be stopped and the only way they can be stopped is if President Tinubu and Vice President Shettima genuinely live above board, they must not be corrupt and they must not tolerate corruption. They must be surrounded by people whose only desire to be in office is to serve.

He needs good people and good ideas. No doubt these are in abundance in the country. Let him take his time, look for them, and less attention to politics. Tinubu should emphasis competence over politics and integrity over political patronage. I am not sure Nigeria can stand another eight years of poor governance.

How did the forum galvanize support for Tinubu’s victory in the Northern region?
Well, I think some people outside the North still don’t understand the North. The North is politically sophisticated. The North gave each of the four candidates their largest votes.

The north is plural, it is both Christian and Muslim and it is politically sophisticated. The decision of the North to give Tinubu 63% of the votes he got was because it saw in Tinubu a promise and I hope he will not disappoint them.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/07/no-kudos-to-tinubu-yet-but-nobody-will-be-worse-than-buhari-hakeem-baba-ahmed/

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Salary: 10:24am On Jul 01, 2023

**Don't be jumpin' into conclusions, man!!
**I talked to a time traveler from 2024. He says Bola Ahmed Tinubu will be Muhammadu Buhari 3.0!!

.......fúck the government!!!

120 Likes 5 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Machinegun91(m): 10:27am On Jul 01, 2023
Just fear women

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by SalamRushdie: 10:28am On Jul 01, 2023
It will be hard to be worse than Buhari sha

66 Likes 7 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Hoilgbegiri: 10:29am On Jul 01, 2023
SalamRushdie:
It will be hard to be worse than Buhari sha

When Bola Ahmed is accumulating taxes to sniff cocaine?

82 Likes 7 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Chinjo2: 10:30am On Jul 01, 2023
Exactly my point. No Nigeria president either dead or alive can be worst than Buhari. Buhari is failure personified.

139 Likes 20 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by inoki247: 10:35am On Jul 01, 2023
Lol Anybody wey worse Pass Buhari in this world should be killed...

80 Likes 7 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by RoyalUc(m): 10:39am On Jul 01, 2023
"Although by all means, any worst government will be better than Buhari’s government of misrule, indifference, and incompetence."

Tinubu should really thank God for becoming a president after Buhari

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Omoluabi16(m): 10:40am On Jul 01, 2023
Cho cho cho! Buhari was so bad yet he was voted in twice, was allowed to waste away and while the last 2 years away. Power is truly transient. If all these people had maybe told him the truth we won't be here today. This is my problem with the people in charge today. They knew Buhari was an empty barrel with nothing to offer yet they allowed him waste 8 years just so power can reach them. The best tinubu will do is reverse the damage Buhari inflicted on us.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by SmartPolician: 10:43am On Jul 01, 2023
Like I always say, Buhari took Nigeria's leadership to an all-time low that Tinubu is being praised for boldly distributing untold sufferings.

81 Likes 5 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by mexxy1(m): 10:47am On Jul 01, 2023
"Although by all means, any worst government will be better than Buhari’s government of misrule, indifference, and incompetence.

Buhari had lowered the bar of governance and lowered our status of existence;"
-Dr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed

Fact!

63 Likes 7 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Okoroawusa: 10:50am On Jul 01, 2023
Wetin exactly be the work of these sociocultural organizations that talk from both sides of the mouth all the time?

71 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by ogododo: 11:22am On Jul 01, 2023
Nlfpmod, how una see Tinubu and APC wickedness. It done reach una side tariff increament everywhere.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Thomasankara(m): 12:52pm On Jul 01, 2023
[/color]is this man playing 😆"north gave each of the four candidate their largest vote" he must be kidding[color=#770077]
ogododo:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/07/no-kudos-to-tinubu-yet-but-nobody-will-be-worse-than-buhari-hakeem-baba-ahmed/
Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Thomasankara(m): 12:54pm On Jul 01, 2023
[/color]they are Mafias,never try to understand them[color=#770077]
Okoroawusa:
Wetin exactly be the work of these sociocultural organizations that talk from both sides of the mouth all the time?
Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by RECTEM: 1:01pm On Jul 01, 2023
Buhari is the worst president ever back to back. Very low in IQ. Outsmarted by Tinubu.. Can't even choose his predecessor... Zero achievement

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Ofunaofu: 1:04pm On Jul 01, 2023
But so far Tinubu is becoming worst than Buhari

14 Likes

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by b3llo(m): 1:07pm On Jul 01, 2023
Buhari is synonymous with failure and disaster.

10 Likes

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by ZombiePUNISHER: 1:08pm On Jul 01, 2023
Tinubu will be worse than Buhari

The indices are already there for you to see

Nothing for the masses aside hardship, taxes and suffering

For the elites, take a look at the recent severance package for the retired military elites.. mouth watering i must say, inclusive of free medical care abroad cheesy

For the soon to be rubber stamp Assembly, tasty packages..

Tinubu cares more about the elites.. he sees them as the structures.. not the people..

Look at his treatment of wike and Kwankwaso.. Tinubu believes in elites

Masses will suffer, and are already suffering as I speak.. look out your window and see them trekking under the hot sun..

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by slawomir: 2:03pm On Jul 01, 2023
Damnnn niggar

Tinubu is gonna be worse
But you all were Aware about this and yet no protest from because he was your son

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Theboss001: 2:04pm On Jul 01, 2023
People way sabi
Can I make use of this on laptop, am tryna get one

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Klington: 2:04pm On Jul 01, 2023
Tilinbu the buhari promax has absolutely nothing to offer embarassed embarassed

3 Likes

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by BigBlackPreek(m): 2:04pm On Jul 01, 2023
Ashiwaju Jagaban Presido!!!!

1 Like

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Chatgpt: 2:04pm On Jul 01, 2023
cool
Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Ogsirsolo: 2:04pm On Jul 01, 2023
Oga buhari adminstration is a pain in our ass a set back as we don't even know where he carry us go till now

1 Like

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by 890grad: 2:05pm On Jul 01, 2023

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by xristos(m): 2:06pm On Jul 01, 2023
hmmmm
Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Akwamkpuruamu: 2:06pm On Jul 01, 2023
Tinubu no send anybody papa. He won't be as worse as Buhari definitely but he fit tax the air we breathe to make his cycle richer

2 Likes

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by happney65: 2:06pm On Jul 01, 2023
You people that will still beg Buhari to come and take over.

Someone said he will continue in Buhari's footsteps you say he cannot be worst than Buhari.

Dey play.. grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Kudos To Tinubu Yet, But Nobody Will Be Worse Than Buhari — Hakeem Baba-Ahmed by Emmastan291: 2:07pm On Jul 01, 2023
2 sachet of Water was never ₦50 naira during Buhari's period...
No bread is sold ₦100 again....
I don't want to talk about Garri 😢😭😭😭😭😭😭

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen Massacre: #BenueMourns Trends On Twitter, Nigerians Slam Buhari / Buhari Keep Reps, Senate Waiting As President Fails To Honour NASS Invitation / Nigerian Shipowners Missing As Vessels Lift Products From Dangote Refinery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.