Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,075 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? (2384 Views)

My Car Has Been Stolen In Maitama Abuja(photo) / Which Car Has The Coolest Air Conditioning System? / Which Brand Of Car Has The Best Fuel Economy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by Nobody: 3:03am On Aug 20, 2011
About 2 weeks ago, it wouldnt start, so I took it to the mechanic. Spent over $690 buying a new battery and alternator.

Now this tuesday and this friday, it starts, but then stops. The battery is fine, but it just stops after 30 seconds or after I remove my hand from the key.

I'm taking it to the mechanic again, but I need to know what is going on. I refuse to be a mechanic's monthly salary. Those ppl are crooks.

I drive a 2005 Nissan Altima, plz help!!
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by Nobody: 3:05am On Aug 20, 2011
And oh yea, after 20 minutes of trying, it starts working again.

I dont think I have that time to spend starting a car.
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by CLASSMAN: 8:03pm On Aug 20, 2011
i think its d kick starter that should be faulty
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by Nobody: 1:08am On Aug 21, 2011
CLASSMAN:

i think its d kick starter that should be faulty

Thanks. So what is the kick starter and how much do you think it's going to cost me to get it fixed?
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by sultaan(m): 5:51am On Aug 21, 2011
If your starter turns everytime its not the starter, if the engine will not stay runniung, pull the DTC and if you get none it might be a CPS sensor problembut get your codes firstif there is any
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by Nobody: 5:54am On Aug 21, 2011
sultaan:

If your starter turns everytime its not the starter, if the engine will not stay runniung, pull the DTC and if you get none it might be a CPS sensor problembut get your codes firstif there is any
I'm sorry, I have no idea what you just said. I know absolutely nothing about . . . yea.

What is the DTC? What is CPS sensor?

The car has been running perfectly since last night. It's just that I went home and didnt drive it for a week, when I came back the problem started.

And oh yea, how do I know when I need a tire rotation?
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by Nobody: 5:55am On Aug 21, 2011
Thank you for replying.

I noticed that everybody is just selling here, just selling.
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by sultaan(m): 6:08am On Aug 21, 2011
Read up on these
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0&oq=altima+crank&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ACAW_en___US391&q=altima+crankshaft+position+sensor

Altimas have a problem with this sensor and an updated part is available in the market.

A DTC is diagnostic trouble code, it is a code the car store when it detects a problem/fault so there will be no guess work like you changing battery and alternator

All the problem you have could have been because your battery died, and if the battery is weak you will have funny problems like the one described so a load test of battery can be done too.
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by pleep(m): 6:12am On Aug 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Thank you for replying.

I noticed that everybody is just selling here, just selling.
i knoooow.  sad i would love for there to be a section here about car discussion.

but anyway, something like this happened to my mom's car a while ago. have you tried checking the ignition? i'm almost positive your having an ignition system issue.
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 21, 2011
pleep:

i knoooow.  sad i would love for there to be a section here about car discussion.

but anyway, something like this happened to my mom's car a while ago. have you tried checking the ignition? i'm almost positive your having an ignition system issue.

Ok, so when I open the hood of my car, what would the ignition look like? I'm not a mechanic undecided tongue

I took my car to the mechanic about 2-3 weeks ago, it was checked. The guy told me that the problem was the alternator and the battery. Those were replaced.

So I'm not sure it's an ignition problem. Thanks.

sultaan:

Read up on these
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0&oq=altima+crank&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ACAW_en___US391&q=altima+crankshaft+position+sensor

Altimas have a problem with this sensor and an updated part is available in the market.

A DTC is diagnostic trouble code, it is a code the car store when it detects a problem/fault so there will be no guess work like you changing battery and alternator

All the problem you have could have been because your battery died, and if the battery is weak you will have funny problems like the one described so a load test of battery can be done too.

Bought a new battery (NAPA) 2-3 weeks ago, so it's not the battery.

It starts, but it doesnt stay on after I take my hands off the key. But after 20 mins of trying, it works again. This is the second time this occured after my recent visit to the mechanic. undecided

Ok, how do I check the DTC code?

Thanks.
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 21, 2011
k, would the car ignition be where the key goes? or am i supposed to be looking for the whole ignition system to check for problems?
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by oblo(m): 11:15am On Aug 21, 2011
Yes its where the key goes in. U need to have that whole component checked out. Its the switch That is faulty, I mean the switch inside the ignition hardwear. Had a similar prob with a frends car, It started but once you took your hand off the key it went off, sometimes it stayed on but after a while Or if I drive over a rough patch of road it stalls and goes off again it only stays on if I start the car and hold the key in the position. Get a good tech to take it out ajd have it checked for d prob. It would be wise to have your car scanned sha to be sure its not dut to some other secondary faults. On a lighter mood, we sellers do talk!
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by pleep(m): 2:42pm On Aug 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Ok, so when I open the hood of my car, what would the ignition look like? I'm not a mechanic undecided tongue

I took my car to the mechanic about 2-3 weeks ago, it was checked. The guy told me that the problem was the alternator and the battery. Those were replaced.

So I'm not sure it's an ignition problem. Thanks.

Bought a new battery (NAPA) 2-3 weeks ago, so it's not the battery.

Thanks.
well you see, the same thing happend to a car we were about to buy. It would drive fine, but when it was parked for a long time it couldn't be started without a jumper cable. They thought it was the battery and had it replaced, but the problem still persisted.

The dealer said it was probably a problem with the ignition system, and we just decided not to get it. I don't really know the details about car repair, but it might be something you may want to ask your mechanic to check out.
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by alirat(f): 9:17pm On Aug 21, 2011
When you have such problem on your car, you most likely will have the check engine or service engine soon light on on your dash board, don't let anybody speculates the problem for you it always make you spend more money or damage the car more, the best thing to do is to do an auto diagnose on the car and it will give you the exact problem. my guess on your problem is the crankshaft position sensor/speed sensor/camshaft position sensor but a scan on that vehicle will tell you the exact problem of the car. I drive an 03 Altima and had same problem, when i did a scan on the vehicle the fault code detected it was those 3 and i got them replaced and the car states and run smooth since then, each sensor is about N7,000. you may be lucky it will be one or two. I found out that this problem is common with Altima from 03 and easy to fix.
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by Nobody: 3:15am On Aug 22, 2011
Thanks everyone!!

alirat:

When you have such problem on your car, you most likely will have the check engine or service engine soon light on on your dash board, don't let anybody speculates the problem for you it always make you spend more money or damage the car more, the best thing to do is to do an auto diagnose on the car and it will give you the exact problem. my guess on your problem is the crankshaft position sensor/speed sensor/camshaft position sensor but a scan on that vehicle will tell you the exact problem of the car. I drive an 03 Altima and had same problem, when i did a scan on the vehicle the fault code detected it was those 3 and i got them replaced and the car states and run smooth since then, each sensor is about N7,000. you may be lucky it will be one or two. I found out that this problem is common with Altima from 03 and easy to fix.

You're right, the service engine light has been up for a while now, but my mechanic told me not to worry about it.

pleep:

well you see, the same thing happend to a car we were about to buy. It would drive fine, but when it was parked for a long time it couldn't be started without a jumper cable. They thought it was the battery and had it replaced, but the problem still persisted.

The dealer said it was probably a problem with the ignition system, and we just decided not to get it. I don't really know the details about car repair, but it might be something you may want to ask your mechanic to check out.

oblo:

Yes its where the key goes in. U need to have that whole component checked out. Its the switch That is faulty, I mean the switch inside the ignition hardwear. Had a similar prob with a frends car, It started but once you took your hand off the key it went off, sometimes it stayed on but after a while Or if I drive over a rough patch of road it stalls and goes off again it only stays on if I start the car and hold the key in the position. Get a good tech to take it out ajd have it checked for d prob. It would be wise to have your car scanned sha to be sure its not dut to some other secondary faults. On a lighter mood, we sellers do talk!

Wow, thanks guys.

I'll use the information I recieved here to deal with my mechanic. . . . atleast, showing confidence that I know lil about cars would decrease my chance of being duped.

I'll try to get my car serviced ASAP, I'll be back with info.

@oblo
Thank you, you're prolly the only seller that replied here. I give you my blessing for your business, may you continue to see growth.
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by Spectre81(m): 11:47am On Jun 02, 2015
A times when I try to start my car it doesn't respond, but when try it the second time it starts normally. Some times before it starts it performs as if the battery won't be strong enough to power it. Some days it starts no hitches. Please is my ignition pack faulty or the battery?
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by rahkoko: 7:02pm On Jun 13, 2015
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by Spectre81: 11:47am On Jun 02
A times when I try to start my car it doesn't respond, but when try it the second time it starts normally. Some times before it starts it performs as if the battery won't be strong enough to power it. Some days it starts no hitches. Please is my ignition pack faulty or the battery?

i have similar prob. but when i push start it. it will start at d next trial without pushing. i have change batery but prob still persist. FORD TRANSIT 2005 model.
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by Kylianjosh: 4:55am On Mar 30, 2023
If your car is not starting it could be the kick starter and I can help you fix it both alternator and radiator fan pls where do you live?
Re: My Car Has Been Acting Up. . . . Help? by Kylianjosh: 5:02am On Mar 30, 2023
When you want to start your car in the morning and it didn’t start it’s the kick starter, if your car starts and when it get hot it won’t start again it’s the kick starter, when u want to start and the car makes sound like shiuuuuuuu it’s the bendix of the kick starter, if your battery is not charging your alternator is faulty and could lead to changing of batteries, when your motor shows dashboard light on without turning off after starting it’s the alternator too
Reach to me if you face this issues I specialize in kick starter, alternator and radiator fan

(1) (Reply)

Increase The Brightness Of Headlamps With Relays? :( / Advice On Car To Purchase / He Bought Lexus RX330 Gearbox 650k. I Fear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.