Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living (1374 Views)

As A Husband, "Before You Ask Your Wife What Are You Bringing To The Table". / Married Only: How Often Do You Ask Your Partner For Sex? / Why Your Diasporan Friends And Family Do Not Send You Money When You Ask. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by creolehunt: 4:17pm On Oct 30, 2022
When I read blog posts on young people living in opulence or flaunting wealth, I'm always curious to know how they made their money. Just curiosity.

Typically, When you access foreign blogs or websites, you'll agree that peoples sources of income is hardly hidden or a secret (same goes for their ages). Normally when an article is published on someone, the first paragraph is normally used to introduce their craft or enterprise.

Here, even if you as much as ask, next thing you'll see is "wetin concern you", "why you dey ask". People just get defensive. Recently I came across someone's tiktok where he was showcasing the cars his friends drive, all exotic cars. So someone in the comment section asked a simple "what do they do for a living?" and immediately insults started flying from their fans.

So I ask again, why do young rich people get defensive when you ask what they do for a living.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by incandescentena: 4:22pm On Oct 30, 2022
Not all Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by Treasure17(m): 4:48pm On Oct 30, 2022
Not limited to rich people. The question often rattles most Nigerians.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by CountVersailles(f): 5:55pm On Oct 30, 2022
It's a pretty simple reason. Many make money illegitimately and people try to operate a "don't ask, don't tell" policy to shut down inquiries regarding what they do for a living. It's actually hard to find a Nigerian who is rich or became rich legitimately. The economic situation is very bad, so bad that if people were to earn their money legitimately, you won't see houses for prices in the hundreds of millions like 300m, 400m. It's just impossible. How much is the average salary in the country that houses should be quoted at such prices? In Canada, houses can cost average of 500k CAD, but the average annual earning is in the range of 50k CAD. Even then, most Canadians cannot drop cash and buy houses at the market rate. They have to do mortgage. Then you find Nigerians, putting hand in their pocket and paying cash values of 300m, 400m. It's just ridiculous. For many, it's either they are stealing from their employers or stealing from the country.

Just look at Obi Cubana, for example, what does he do for a living? Nobody dares ask. And if you probe, they tell you that you are a hater. They get all defensive, and for good reasons too. He earns his money illegitimately. Look at Cubana chief priest, Mofa, etc. These are the scum of the earth. People making money in whatever way that the end justifies the means. If they made their money legitimately, you will see the evidence out there. In industry and everywhere else.

In summary, they get defensive because they have defense for how they earn their money. They know they are up to illegal shiit and as a result don't have the courage to own up to it. That's the simple fact. The consequence is that Nigeria is going to get worse for it. That's for sure. The country can only get worse based on this development, as true economic success will evade the country for years to come. True economic success does not rely on illegal activities like drug pushing and stealing; it relies on innovation, industrial development, and less corruption. This is why 10 years from now, I don't expect Nigeria to be anywhere. There will be more corruption and the dollar value will likely be at 2000 by then. All thanks to people like Obi Cubana and Cubana chief priest, etc.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by Mryacks: 7:27pm On Oct 30, 2022
CountVersailles:
It's a pretty simple reason. Many make money illegitimately and people try to operate a "don't ask, don't tell" policy to shut down inquiries regarding what they do for a living. It's actually hard to find a Nigerian who is rich or became rich legitimately. The economic situation is very bad, so bad that if people were to earn their money legitimately, you won't see houses for prices in the hundreds of millions like 300m, 400m. It's just impossible. How much is the average salary in the country that houses should be quoted at such prices? In Canada, houses can cost average of 500k CAD, but the average annual earning is in the range of 50k CAD. Even then, most Canadians cannot drop cash and buy houses at the market rate. They have to do mortgage. Then you find Nigerians, putting hand in their pocket and paying cash values of 300m, 400m. It's just ridiculous. For many, it's either they are stealing from their employers or stealing from the country.

Just look at Obi Cubana, for example, what does he do for a living? Nobody dares ask. And if you probe, they tell you that you are a hater. They get all defensive, and for good reasons too. He earns his money illegitimately. Look at Cubana chief priest, Mofa, etc. These are the scum of the earth. People making money in whatever way that the end justifies the means. If they made their money legitimately, you will see the evidence out there. In industry and everywhere else.

In summary, they get defensive because they have defense for how they earn their money. They know they are up to illegal shiit and as a result don't have the courage to own up to it. That's the simple fact. The consequence is that Nigeria is going to get worse for it. That's for sure. The country can only get worse based on this development, as true economic success will evade the country for years to come. True economic success does not rely on illegal activities like drug pushing and stealing; it relies on innovation, industrial development, and less corruption. This is why 10 years from now, I don't expect Nigeria to be anywhere. There will be more corruption and the dollar value will likely be at 2000 by then. All thanks to people like Obi Cubana and Cubana chief priest, etc.

Well said...

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by Tripitaka: 8:14pm On Oct 30, 2022
Because the economy is hard and it's hard to make it out, most young people you see flaunting wealth and throwing cash around are into one sorta crime or the other. No skill set, no education, no wealthy family, no business history nor innovation.

Asking their source of income more or less reminds them of the shît they had to do or are doing. They always have people willing to defend them because an average Nigerian youth Is a criminal in waiting.

Just go under any of Emoneys post and ask how he made his money and watch his lapdogs devour you. Same thing applies to young women with barely an education or craft driving BMWs, the moment you ask their source of income, you become a devil.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by creolehunt: 8:21pm On Oct 30, 2022
Treasure17:
Not limited to rich people. The question often rattles most Nigerians.

I'd understand if a sewage cleaner or a vulcanizer is rattled by that question. But why will a man/woman in his 20s seemingly living the life get offended when you ask what they do for a living.

Yeah, you may want to be discreet but why pissed. Iys even worse for some of them who you cant trace to any business or job.

Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by Tbaba001: 8:49pm On Oct 30, 2022
Why exactly do you want to know, how is it your business

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by Karleb(m): 8:52pm On Oct 30, 2022
Aside from fraud.

People expects you to have a traditional job.

If I tell you I'm a YouTuber, how many people will understand that. Especially in my village.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by DontBullshitMe: 10:30pm On Oct 30, 2022
OP, What do you do for a living?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by Mindlog: 11:25pm On Oct 30, 2022
Since I am not into any criminal enterprise, I see no reason I should feel uncomfortable when asked what I do for a living.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by Treasure17(m): 11:31pm On Oct 30, 2022
creolehunt:

I'd understand if a sewage cleaner or a vulcanizer is rattled by that question. But why will a man/woman in his 20s seemingly living the life get offended when you ask what they do for a living.

Yeah, you may want to be discreet but why pissed. Iys even worse for some of them who you cant travel to any business or job.

Lalasticlala
Probably their ways are not legit.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by begoniaa: 12:29am On Oct 31, 2022
Karleb:
Aside from fraud.

If I tell you I'm a YouTuber, how many people will understand that. Especially in my village.

This is not the point of the post sha.

@OP, I wonder why too.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by benqo01(m): 6:25am On Oct 31, 2022
Are u guys not tired of asking this questions? Use that time to get something meaningful doing with ya life

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by creolehunt: 6:02pm On Oct 31, 2022
benqo01:
Are u guys not tired of asking this questions? Use that time to get something meaningful doing with ya life

So if Larry King or Piers Morgan or Oprah asks that question it means they dont have anything meaningful to do with their lives. People may get defensive because the truth isnt comforting. Theres absolutely nothing wrong in asking how someone made thier money and any legit person will be more than willing to share.

Dominique nlfpmod

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by Tripitaka: 10:48am On Nov 04, 2022
Karleb:
Aside from fraud.

Let me cite an example.

During the award of national honors that was held recently, recall the uproar about the way the Paystack guy dressed.

As at the time, I didn't know him. So when I saw the post on Youtube, I commented asking what the guy does. No one insulted me. No one threw the question back at me. No one was triggered.

They simply replied that he is the Paystack guy.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by Karleb(m): 2:42pm On Nov 04, 2022
Tripitaka:

Let me cite an example.

During the award of national honors that was held recently, recall the uproar about the way the Paystack guy dressed.

As at the time, I didn't know him. So when I saw the post on Youtube, I commented asking what the guy does. No one insulted me. No one threw the question back at me. No one was triggered.

They simply replied that he is the Paystack guy.

I'm putting this question to you. Do you understand what paystack does? Do you know how they make money?

Same way you have the right to ask for another person's profession is the same way they have the right to tell you or not tell you.

If you get offended while at it, it's certainly not their problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by yemmit90: 2:49pm On Nov 04, 2022
It depends on the manner or the way you ask people. That kind of question is mostly ask by jealous people in a suspicious manner.

For instance, you see someone in a good ride or house, the next thing you ask is what he/she do for a living. You don't ask people private questions if you are not in position to ask or know about them. I am 100% sure if they have reason to tell you, they will immediately do so with ease.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by SKhanmi: 3:04pm On Nov 04, 2022
Some have illegal means of income, they are the most defensive of the lot.

For others, depending on the exposure of the person asking you can't just tell them before they misconstrue it as something else. Told & even showed my landlord my UIUX portfolio & I later heard from someone else he still thinks I'm a yahoo guy. Same goes for so many folks who don't believe you can make legal money from inside your bedroom or know what remote work is.

And lastly, especially for some friends, acquaintances and family, they just want to be able to gauge how much they'll start billing you depending on how lucrative they see your profession.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by rickleye: 4:01pm On Nov 04, 2022
CountVersailles:

Where in Canada you dey ?
Who is Obi Cubana ?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by creolehunt: 9:46pm On Nov 04, 2022
yemmit90:
It depends on the manner or the way you ask people. That kind of question is mostly ask by jealous people in a suspicious manner.

For instance, you see someone in a good ride or house, the next thing you ask is what he/she do for a living. You don't ask people private questions if you are not in position to ask or know about them. I am 100% sure if they have reason to tell you, they will immediately do so with ease.

I'm not even talking about asking a direct question to the person in question. Example, go to Hushpuppis page and ask what he does for a living and see people attack you. Same applies to say, Mercy Eke. But no one will attack you when you ask what Fisayo Fosudo or Linda Ikeji or Eyo Bassey does for a living. They simply ignore or tell you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Get Triggered When You Ask What Someone Does For A Living by Petyprince: 8:24pm On Dec 08, 2022
creolehunt:
When I read blog posts on young people living in opulence or flaunting wealth, I'm always curious to know how they made their money. Just curiosity.

Typically, When you access foreign blogs or websites, you'll agree that peoples sources of income is hardly hidden or a secret (same goes for their ages). Normally when an article is published on someone, the first paragraph is normally used to introduce their craft or enterprise.

Here, even if you as much as ask, next thing you'll see is "wetin concern you", "why you dey ask". People just get defensive. Recently I came across someone's tiktok where he was showcasing the cars his friends drive, all exotic cars. So someone in the comment section asked a simple "what do they do for a living?" and immediately insults started flying from their fans.

So I ask again, why do young rich people get defensive when you ask what they do for a living.
Trash written by a gay dwarf

(1) (2) (Reply)

Treat yourself to a SUV, our registered Lexus RX 350. Now on sale / Procedure For Divorce / 40 Fascinating Facts About Babies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.