Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,018 members, 7,838,557 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Would You Buy A House Or Build From Scratch - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Would You Buy A House Or Build From Scratch (146 Views)

Should I Complete My Mother House Or Build Mine First? I'm In Dillenma Pls Help / Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? / Complete My House Or Travel Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Would You Buy A House Or Build From Scratch by indepthbuilding: 5:52pm On Oct 30, 2022
My friend Yomi would always tell me, he is going to buy a house. In his own words he would say, "Saheed land fit finish before I make am, so na house I go buy, na to just pack in straight".

But personally I would like to build my house from scratch. I don’t know if its because am a civil engineer and I love the thrill and challenges that comes with building things. From buying the land, designing the structure and starting the building. Am sure I would change things in the design as the construction goes, that one is certain.

But when I see a lot of uncompleted build around I feel scared of starting a building from scratch;
- what if I don’t get to finish cause of hike in price of materials
- what if something happens that diverts my funds and the building isn't completed
- What if money finishes before I get to even roof it

These are valid points you know.

Yet I still see people start a storey building and finish within 6months. And, then I wonder how do this people do it.

It must be ritual, right. Cus who has that kind of money to start and finish a storey building in less than 6month. Yes Now!

Lol,
We presume a lot in this country. There is only one secret that could have made this smart people to be able to building such a beautiful structure within 6month, and that’s is PLANNING.

If you did an estimate of what it would cost you in terms of materials and labour to erect a one storey building from foundation to roofing and you add a factor of safety of maybe 0.25% to that amount. I promise you, you would start and roof that building under 3months.

For example, let us say it would cost you 6million to erect a storey building (nah example o) and with a factor of safety of 0.25% you have a total of 7.5million, either borrowed as loan or saved up in your bank.

Once you start that building, believe me people would say you did ritual. Cus the pace at which the construction would move, it would astonish many.

People are used to buying in phrases, you do foundation you rest for 3month, you come back after 3month and start block work for the ground floor, you reach the lintel, you rest again for 4 months, then you come back to push it to roof level. Nah..

I don’t wish to build like that. And I know you don’t want that too.

Planning your building ahead goes along way to guarantee that you would finish on time.

By the way, the factor of safety was for unintended cost not planned for, like sudden hike in cement price or small change you use to buy Trophy for boys etc.

So let me ask you, would you buy an already finished and furnished building or building from scratch?

We can have a small chat on this here, leave your comment and I would personally engage you.

Well, which ever one you choose, I wish you the very best.

Till I reach out again,

Cheers,
Saheed S.

(1) (Reply)

To Let: Room & Parlour Self Contain At Ijoko Ogun State / Properties Are Selling Fast In Ibadan / *FOR SALE* Description: *tenement Building On Dry Land Measuring 500 Sqm* Loca

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.