Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? (43144 Views)

Complete My House Or Travel Abroad? / Buying A House Or Building From Scratch, Which Is Better? / FOR Your Professional Building From Foundation/renovation Works (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 28, 2020
Hi guys,

With the little money I have made, I have opted investing in properties full time.

now like the topic implies,

which is cheaper?

Building a home from Scratch or Buying already built that matches your taste?

what are the pros and cons?

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by MsNorgan(f): 10:41am On Dec 28, 2020
I don't know about this but let me wait for experts to come have their ssy

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Perfectsouth(m): 10:54am On Dec 28, 2020
Building from scratch is better, you save money and you build to taste..

375 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Tuneday01(m): 10:55am On Dec 28, 2020
i am here to learn

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Timothyoj(m): 12:08pm On Dec 28, 2020
Building from scratch is better, safer and cost effective. Above all you have the taste of your choice

172 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by nurez305(m): 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2020
Ask same question when your post change from "little money made" to "a lot of money made", buying a house require a lot of money and not a little money

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by datola: 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2020
Building from scratch is better only if you are on ground and have time to supervise.

Buying is better for the people abroad or that don't have the time.

121 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by henry4991(m): 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2020
To Steal House is Much Better

173 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by AtaniFx: 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2020
building from scratch is better.. And cheaper

8 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Leezah(f): 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2020
Usually it is much more expensive, both financially and emotionally.
There are so many decisions to be made when building a house.

Contractors live in a different world and don’t speak the same language, even if their English is superb.
It’s the nature of construction that materials shrink and swell and new houses make noises, nothing quite fits right, and you will think your new house is possessed by demons.
Your expectations, on the other hand, are that it is like a new car, and everything will work perfectly.

The truth is that a new house is less like a new car and more like a colicky baby.

16 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Swiftlee(m): 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2020
Building yours is cheaper cool

2 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Spuggie: 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2020
Interesting topic

1 Like

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Karleb(m): 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2020
Most people I know including my parents built from scratch.

As money no too dey now! grin grin

When you build from scratch, you can move in even without completing the building.

Most people won't sell unless the building is fully completed.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by KIDfurniture(m): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
Buying go appear cheaper but surely inferior items can be used to complete the house....when it comes to building never go for cheap items. Build from scratch u save some money and be sure u got quality items

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Badgers14: 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
It depends, building from scratch allows you to personalize the house.. make it yours and you are sure of the quality.

Again, there are areas where buying will seem like your only option, say for instance you want to
Live in a particular area but there isn't empty land available.. the cost of buying an old bungalow, knocking it down to build yours might exceed the cost of buying outright. so buying is the option here..

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Moz22: 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
Omo na to buy house nio

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Kposkila: 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
Buy n save ursef d stress of building

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Sunnycliff(m): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
I prefer building from scratch

2 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by seanwilliam(m): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
Building is cheaper
Buying is ready made

If I get the money , I will kuku buy house straight away .. no time , no stress
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Rossycee(f): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
Building is better and cheaper.. Besides you will build to your taste.

5 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by LOVEGINO(m): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
It all depends.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by unity004(m): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
grin Na ajebu people dey buy houses while kpaku people na to the built from scratch. before you start make sure you get money to complete am ooooo no come add another uncompleted building for ur area

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by uchennaq(m): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
Perfectsouth:
Building from scratch is better, you save money and you build to taste..
You can't build to taste cos you're not tasting the house oga. Do you want to eat the house?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by bayo2018: 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
following cool

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by milkyworld(m): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
Making money is the best...

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by EmekaBlue(m): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
Depends on the contractor engineer helping you to build(most go chop you raw and even build their own house from you). Sometimes it seems cheaper building from scratch but actually buying is cheaper and save you stress time and money

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by iCauseTrouble: 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
Building from scratch is cheaper if you have time to supervise. Your time and strenght is the exchange for the cheapness.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by H2ho(m): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
Building cool
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:17pm On Dec 28, 2020
Building your own house from foundation is preferable. Although, buying in some instances can be and opportunity,
Someone left the country recently, with his entire family and he sold his house.
It was purchased by one of our friends at a fair price with flexible payment plan.
Also, if your buying from a desperate seller who needs cash urgently and ready to take ridiculous offers, a very popular example are politicians when election is around the corner.
Aside from these, please be patient and build a good house for yourself.

Finally,
Would advise you buy land and build your own house.
Some of the advantages of building by yourself include:

1. It is more affordable: the cost of buying land and building by yourself may be much but won't be as much as when a developer sells a house to you. Don't forget that he's also trying to make profit.

2. You will build the house up to standard: most developers, in the quest to make a lot of profit, use substandard materials to build. Sometimes even the foundation and the decking are not properly done and that can lead to building collapse in the future. (God forbid).

3. You build the building up to your taste:
Most developers use out-dated products in their building in other to maximise profit whereas you can modernise your building to your taste when you build. You can decide to install the best and latest water system, kitchen cabinets, tiles etc when you build by yourself.

Cc : Dr K and Cindy.
Let's do this guy's!
The year is running out mehn!
wink

JayDaily:
Thank you guys, thank you all,
each and every ideas giving counts.
You are always welcome Mr Jay.

18 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? / Doors, Cabinets, Wardrobe And Other Wood Works / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.