Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,348 members, 7,780,936 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:49 AM

Lets Start An Open Source Project - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Lets Start An Open Source Project (3535 Views)

An Open Source Social Networking Script That Looks Like Facebook / Open Source Courier Cargo Tracking Software Script Written In Php/mysql / How To Start An Online Radio Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Start An Open Source Project by iwantto(m): 8:55pm On Aug 21, 2011
I have been thinking alot about us all teaming up together to build an open source project.

It could be any project out there that can really become big later. If you are interested, drop a comment to this thread.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 21, 2011
Hmmm, though remindest me of when i wanted to start my framework. . . .it is a good idea - wish you luck
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Nobody: 10:54pm On Aug 21, 2011
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Excelboi(m): 4:19am On Aug 22, 2011
Am game! But any idea yet?
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by iwantto(m): 8:02am On Aug 22, 2011
No idea yet, just want a project all of us contributed in the formulation. Lets gather the interested persons first then we can move on the project itself.

The project should be a very simple modular php+mysql coding but should be relevant in solving a major technology challenge in Nigeria.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Afam4eva(m): 8:05am On Aug 22, 2011
@ i_want_to
What do you have in mind?
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by iwantto(m): 8:11am On Aug 22, 2011
Top on my list is a simple sociable event management and listing platform just like what facebook has within its platform.

But will like others to choose or suggest what could be more gainful.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by frisahost(m): 8:33am On Aug 22, 2011
i think solving a major technology challenge in Nigeria. is a nice ideal, if that project can be carryout , its good.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by iwantto(m): 8:41am On Aug 22, 2011
frisahost:

i think solving a major technology challenge in Nigeria. is a nice ideal, if that project can be carryout , its good.

What niche would you suggest? Any idea will very much help shape the scope of the open source project.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Afam4eva(m): 9:14am On Aug 22, 2011
I don't know much about this open source thingy. But apart from it being free and available to users, do they make some money by the side or something.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by iwantto(m): 9:20am On Aug 22, 2011
Open source are absolutely free thing. The interesting thing about open source projects is that it helps solve tech problems and challenges faster through group work and brain storming. Also help the young aspiring web app coder improve on its coding ability.

For money, I think the only way an open source gets money is through donations from users. Also the project can get funded or sponsored by corporation if they think it will solve their tech problem.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Thatdave(m): 10:11am On Aug 22, 2011
my cms is 70percent cooked. I'll throw it up for all ya when am done with the foundation!
@dhtml
did you actually roll your own framework?
That was a whole load of work.(kudos)
Have u been able to includ js plugins?
I wuld like to see it.
Or did u roll it on something?
As for me?
I did two weeks into rolling ma own, but when i saw Ci i got intimidated and decided to ride piggy-back on cake!
That saved me a life time.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Excelboi(m): 10:25am On Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, i support that social network niche, why not an auction type of site like ebay? Just suggesting.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by iwantto(m): 10:47am On Aug 22, 2011
Excelboi:

Yeah, i support that social network niche, why not an auction type of site like ebay? Just suggesting.

Running an auction site like ebay will require lots of time spent on security. We should stay out of any project that require payment or money.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 22, 2011
Yes i did made a framework (i am still recovering from the stress - no documentation yet - but i have registered a site for it - www.dhtmlframework.com)
I will say that the framework is fairly stable now, i have used it to do about 12 websites already. The framework site is still blank, i am trying to round up
some more pressing projects first before i get down to documenting the framework and making the code available online - it is opensource.

Letzz still see what i_want_to is up to first.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by sisqology(m): 5:10am On Aug 23, 2011
classic idea
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by bouzymill(m): 8:26am On Aug 23, 2011
*dhtml:

Yes i did made a framework (i am still recovering from the stress - no documentation yet - but i have registered a site for it - www.dhtmlframework.com)
I will say that the framework is fairly stable now, i have used it to do about 12 websites already. The framework site is still blank, i am trying to round up
some more pressing projects first before i get down to documenting the framework and making the code available online - it is opensource.

Letzz still see what i_want_to is up to first.

DHTML. . . . It's a great project. Welldone. Just a quick advise. I see you are a core developer and not really interested in Design or front-end so much. However, I would strongly advise you outsource the User Interface and front-end development to UI designer of a front-end developer, so that the function of your framework would be complemented with a beautiful interface.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 23, 2011
bouzymill:

DHTML. . . . It's a great project. Welldone. Just a quick advise. I see you are a core developer and not really interested in Design or front-end so much. However, I would strongly advise you outsource the User Interface and front-end development to UI designer of a front-end developer, so that the function of your framework would be complemented with a beautiful interface.
You are correct that personalmente i dont deal with frontends. But seriously, what is remaining for the framework is contribution by you guys. I regret i am kinda too busy to load the stuff fully online.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by guru01(m): 10:00pm On Aug 23, 2011
I am interested.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by guru01(m): 11:10pm On Aug 23, 2011
Let create a CMS that can easily be used to create a basic dynamic site.
That the extension can be in html or php, the cms can easily be install and updated, can be updated by end-user(client), can be designe easily, and will based on pages. What i mean by pages is, the cms can be used to create a basic business site that have pages like home, about us, services, etc.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Nobody: 11:19pm On Aug 23, 2011
guru01:

Let create a CMS that can easily be used to create a basic dynamic site.
That the extension can be in html or php, the cms can easily be install and updated, can be updated by end-user(client), can be designe easily, and will based on pages. What i mean by pages is, the cms can be used to create a basic business site that have pages like home, about us, services, etc.
My framework already has those features plus virtually anything you can do with the drupal cms including creating custom content definitions etc.
If i can get some of you guys to help out with the documentation - since unfortunately - i cannot duplicate myself - i am just too busy to document anything at the
moment.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by guru01(m): 11:38pm On Aug 23, 2011
@dhtml,
grin grin grin i love to see it and also use it.
How can also be of help?
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Nobody: 11:47pm On Aug 23, 2011
@op, i will contribute to your project if the idea is fine with me.

@guru and all, for this my framework i need to do documentation of usage and stuff. However, due to nature of Nigerians is why i gave it a very
powerful cms system so that the framework can do real work without you needing to start up any serious coding.

I need some people to help do testing and documentation. I will explain how the basic features work, but i will need you guys to help out with
the details.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Nobody: 11:57pm On Aug 23, 2011
if u need any help you know am always here esp now that i'll be quitting my job soon so am always free.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by guru01(m): 12:07am On Aug 24, 2011
@dhtml,
my email address is josiahaccounts(at)gmail(dot)com
@pc guru,
why do you want to quit the job?
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Nobody: 12:15am On Aug 24, 2011
i have tons of exams to focus on and other personal things to work on. don't worry my current job is not related to Web Development of any sort. my side jobs put more food on the table than my job and my contract ends next month anyway i want to end it this month.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Fayimora(m): 5:49am On Aug 24, 2011
Everyone is just talking about framework, cms blah blah. What about pluggins/libraries? Seems y'all have forgotten that jQuery started as a pluggin. It became big and now its a Javascript library. People said nothing can compete with it and so did MooTools surface out of the blue.

So instead of trying to develop one CMS or the other, has anyone thought of developing something else? Something even more challenging!
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Nobody: 6:32am On Aug 24, 2011
Seriously, i did made a javascript library at one time that works rather like those jQuery and Mootools, but i am it for a particular project. It is light-weight and equally efficient. I have used it across many projects. Just that i did not opensource it.
The problem with me is that - i am engaged in too many things at the same time, i am still trying to get myself more organized and start publishing opensource stuffs. Freelancing is not quite as easy as it seems.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Nobody: 7:06am On Aug 24, 2011
Everyone is just talking about framework, cms blah blah. What about pluggins/libraries? Seems y'all have forgotten that jQuery started as a pluggin. It became big and now its a Javascript library. People said nothing can compete with it and so did MooTools surface out of the blue.

So instead of trying to develop one CMS or the other, has anyone thought of developing something else? Something even more challenging!
i think Jquery is a framework not a plugin,and besides there are tons of JS Libraries re-inventing the wheel proves nothing except a specific framework exist to tackle a specific problem.although i support the idea of not creating CMS because they are equally as much CMS around, i was looking at we created more of frameworks either client/server that pushes Web to a further level,concepts like having two technology communicate with each other like JS + Flash and much more.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 24, 2011
The only reason why i may want to reinvent that wheel has to be for maintaining light-weight. If you work on a project that is rather large, you may want
to create something custom for your project. But aside of that, the existing javascript frameworks and libraries are doing just fine.

Another thing is - there is no single framework or cms that will be able to solve the problem required by every single task.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by databoy247(m): 10:01am On Aug 24, 2011
Ok am pretty impressed. Am down with the project you want to do.

My suggestion?

I really don't know much about programming stuff but my idea is that if you want to do a project, why not consider a job posting/bidding portal. We all have jobs to do that breaks our bones, it wont hurt to outsource some of these jobs. Take a look at *dhtml, fayimora, dual core, etc they work day and night so i feel if we do some outsourcing, its gonna make our jobs easier and also help keep the jobless dudes (who are also quite good) busy.

Don't still get me?

Ok. Please take a look at www.peopleperhour.com

A project like that is what am talking about.

Cheers.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by DualCore1: 10:14am On Aug 24, 2011
Let's build a roof over our heads and a place we can call office and home at the same time.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Seun We Cannot Login Nairaland Via Freebasics / Come In Get This Well Designed Blogger Template! / Eacoed(oyo) Student Fighting Over Schl Fees Increament

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.