Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,170 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Lets Start An Open Source Project - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Lets Start An Open Source Project (3547 Views)

An Open Source Social Networking Script That Looks Like Facebook / Open Source Courier Cargo Tracking Software Script Written In Php/mysql / How To Start An Online Radio Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by OmniPotens(m): 6:48am On Sep 03, 2011
Most people see the survival thing as OYO (On Your Own) so that means collabo or collab or anything is simply a bad idea.

Life continues but I bet you, this OYO system is to be broken soon. Just sit down dey watch no look and turn to looku looku oooo
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by guru01(m): 7:18am On Sep 03, 2011
@all,
When will you change this mentallity of Nigerian way in the web/IT industry and come up with one mind.
Imagine *dhtml/dual core/omnipoten/omavo/guru01 teaming up to creating a good or better application for Nigeria and the web at large.
To say the fact, the problem is from you top guys, you feel that you don't need a liability and you forget you are once a liability, why are you NOT happen to collaborate with you fellow developer/Programmer?
Why?
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by dhtml7(m): 7:29am On Sep 03, 2011
Santa Maria! But, who are the top guys here? I am just a pilgrim here (not the original).
For now, i prefer to write codes that will keep the roof over my head. I have tried so many times to collaborate
in the past, it just does not work out fine.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by OmniPotens(m): 7:41am On Sep 03, 2011
Don't say we are not happy or any tops or lows here. We all are equal in whatever we can achieve. The end justifies it all.

Someone brought up the topic and asked for contributions. We were adding in and I threw my suggestion in as well. When the suggestion window was closed and time for decision taking, silence was thrown in and the NL Angel of Silence scattered even the contributors so to say. Whose fault?

Simple truth is this. In Nigeria as far as I know, it is extremely difficult and not simply difficult to get minds coming together to execute. Reason is "Who takes the glory?" This is the more reason you see people having half baked everywhere.

Look around you and see different concepts taking up lots of spaces around town. Imagine bring together like 3 of them to form 1, what you think? Better offices, better concepts, better outputs, quality performances, good, good, good, and good blah blah blah results. But who go gree make them join am give another person? or are you just knowing that PARTNERSHIP in Nigeria doesn't work or if it does, it doesn't last?

Another thing is this. Only people who know themselves and think alike can come together to make things like PARTNERSHIP in a project or anything of the sort work. I can even tell you people in here who are ready and ever ready to pick up something seriously and work it till the end but issue is still "There is no one house in here". In fact, this project collab is working outside of NL and not inside of NL.  tongue Just trying to be more candid anyways.

Mediocres on board in here are always at the sides and pouring sand in everyone's garri.

@guru01 no fex u hear I feel your pains. Me still fit help you subtle in case  wink My email always on my profile whenever.

@dhtml Told them o. E no easy but we go make am easy someday if we someday decide to break the jinx. We know better than this joo.

Happy Weekend bros and sis!!!
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by guru01(m): 8:02am On Sep 03, 2011
Yes we can!!!
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 8:22am On Sep 03, 2011
@fayimora pls help us on this, a thread was created last year, Should We Have "programmers' Conference" In Nigeria?(https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-574165.64.html#msg9060044) the motion was supported by NL developers, and now Software Developers Association has been registered even a domain name> www.sda.com.ng has been purchased.
Now, we're planning on building a community portal for it but we noticed that people only see the topic when a new reply is been made but since u're a moderator on the programming board, a programmer, and u should be in this with us, so we thought if u help us sticky the topic more people would see it.

Other developers on this board check the thread for more information.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Fayimora(m): 10:35am On Sep 03, 2011
Sounds like you just need me to stick ur topic! Ok amma check it out next week. . . . . .lol
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 9:16pm On Sep 03, 2011
Fayimora:

Sounds like you just need me to stick your topic! Ok amma check it out next week. . . . . .lol
Am sorry if I was like that, but this is no joke, If u're interested/believe in it, is not my decision to make,
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by worldbest(m): 11:03am On Sep 04, 2011
Nigerians can't develop applications via online groups. There are so many factors that make it practically impossible.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by member25: 2:13pm On Sep 04, 2011
worldbest:

Nigerians can't develop applications via online groups. There are so many factors that make it practically impossible.
Thank you very much for that. I have been trying to tell guru01 that since.
Knowing how to write codes is one thing, working in a group is another thing
entirely.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by iwantto(m): 2:18pm On Sep 04, 2011
So what is the way forward, we need to start having larger applications like facebook, google, linkedin, myspace etc,

This "lone ranger" mindset will definitely not produce the kind of effect web technology is having in India, UK or US.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by member25: 2:51pm On Sep 04, 2011
Santa Maria! remoranger was not speaking with respect to this thread.
That your post is totally off for this thread.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by worldbest(m): 12:02am On Sep 05, 2011
i_want_to:

So what is the way forward, we need to start having larger applications like facebook, google, linkedin, myspace etc,

This "lone ranger" mindset will definitely not produce the kind of effect web technology is having in India, UK or US.

True talk. But we just won't achieve anything online. We may start with so much passion, later it will certainly disappear as far as the group works online. By the time hunger flog guys, them go bone project go open blog stamp adsense lol.

If we most forge a group, it has to be a physical one, I mean one that every member gets to meet maybe twice a week some where, code right there, integrate already written codes and plan for the next meeting.

It won't work if we are thinking online.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by Fayimora(m): 5:04am On Sep 05, 2011
worldbest:

True talk. But we just won't achieve anything online. We may start with so much passion, later it will certainly disappear as far as the group works online. By the time hunger flog guys, them go bone project go open blog stamp adsense lol.

If we most forge a group, it has to be a physical one, I mean one that every member gets to meet maybe twice a week some where, code right there, integrate already written codes and plan for the next meeting.

It won't work if we are thinking online.
Naaa not necessarily. Ruby is currently a language that makes me fee awesome, so i mostly use it for system programming and web(Ruby on Rails). Ruby was developed by one person(popularly known as MATZ) and today its an open source project. Rails was developed by someone(popularly known as DHH) and right now its an open source project of which i even contribute to somehow. The two lead developers of the rails core team are friends of mine(took a while to get them to, havent met physically tho) and you wont believe that they NEVER meet to code! They never meet because they `have` to! And when I asked Aaron Patterson(kinda heading the core team) he asked 2 questions and said something and i quote; "Why do we have to meet? Wats then the point of opensource? As long as opensource is concerned, those that are not the core developers are more important. The users/testers are more important.". He also said that they only meet when a few of them coincidentally go for a conference. If you really wanna meet, then you would rather not call it opensource because you would have to invite all contributors and if i remember the contributors scattered all over the world.

So back to what i initially said on this thread. Creating a thread like this is USELESS(no offence to the OP) because its gonna end up being just the way it is! Abandoned. If you have a project in mind that you think its too big for you or you think it can be better with the help of other developers then start something, Make something work and then invite contributors. Thats 'practically' THE ONLY way!

Hmm have i said too much?
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by guru01(m): 3:13pm On Sep 05, 2011
worldbest:

@worldbest
Who are the Nigerians?, isn't it you and i?
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by guru01(m): 3:22pm On Sep 05, 2011
@all,
If you are not interested or very busy to engage yourself into this, simply ignore the post instead of saying what Nigerian developersyou can't do.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by iwantto(m): 4:12pm On Sep 05, 2011
We can still get this thread working. Those still interested in the open source project can send their suggestions on which project we should build.

I will officially pick one and start a new thread for the chosen open source project by tomorrow. At least we are going to do something different.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by worldbest(m): 4:17pm On Sep 05, 2011
guru01:

@all,
If you are not interested or very busy to engage yourself into this, simply ignore the post instead of saying what Nigerian developersyou can't do.

Look, I am not stopping you or discouraging anyone. I am just speaking from experience. If there are serious individuals who think they can commit themselves to such projects, then I will gladly do stuffs with them. Even if I have had failures with online projects doesn't mean I won't attempt it again.

So if you guys want to still do this. I dey ready.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by OmniPotens(m): 4:41pm On Sep 05, 2011
I am watching, Let's see where this will end.

Those in the Programming section got to the point of registering an organization name and at the end of the day, they halted the whole deal.

Where are we at this point?
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by guru01(m): 5:14pm On Sep 05, 2011
worldbest:

Look, I am not stopping you or discouraging anyone. I am just speaking from experience. If there are serious individuals who think they can commit themselves to such projects, then I will gladly do stuffs with them. Even if I have had failures with online projects doesn't mean I won't attempt it again.

So if you guys want to still do this. I dey ready.
We all need encouragement in whatever we do.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by dhtml7(m): 10:46pm On Sep 05, 2011
guru01:

We all need encouragement in whatever we do.
Since you are so optimistic, start up something and we will support you. . .
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by fluxdon(m): 3:26pm On Sep 09, 2011
Shaking my head, with my finger on my chin and thinking, HOW DID WE BECOME SO SELF-CENTERED? HOW?
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by ax242001(m): 4:55pm On Sep 09, 2011
I do not understand the project, you are into?.

Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by kodewrita(m): 11:26am On Oct 14, 2011
I have a theory.

That I can't write huge applications by making group appeals like this.

Seems democracy doesnt work on the Nigerian web. time to do it the military way:

1. Start the project and get it to a sensible level.
2. post it on a repo.
3. directly approach design folks ( ninjas like Remoranger or @namzo) to buy in to the idea.
4. drag dual_core kicking and screaming in to the circle
5. send a posse after dhtml ( bring back alive or , )
6. do the same until all required personnel are present and ensure they meet A STRUCTURE on ground so they dont have to argue too much.
(arguments allowed with a mutually accepted Steve-Jobs-Type-Dictator (moi) in place to say Yes or Maybe( I mean no) cool )

tell me why this is a bad idea for a nigerian open source project.
Re: Lets Start An Open Source Project by dhtml1(m): 9:22pm On Oct 14, 2011
Caramba! The pirated dhtml or the original *dhtml?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Use Shoptomydoor To Get Ordered Goods Abroad To Your Door Step. / Free Domain Name Registration In Nigeria / Reasons Why Google Will Penalise Your Sites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.