Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,438 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

What Exactly Is The "Back-to-school Necklace What Exactly Is The 'back-to School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Exactly Is The "Back-to-school Necklace What Exactly Is The 'back-to School (436 Views)

Children In Fiji Swim To Get To School (Video) / ASUU To Student: “what Exactly Do You Miss? Fornication Or Education?” / Anambra Secondary Students Wear Native Cloths To School On Wednesdays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Exactly Is The "Back-to-school Necklace What Exactly Is The 'back-to School by Jamesroi: 9:06am On Nov 02, 2022
Urban Dictionary - a website dedicated to the definition of new slang words . It describes, "A back to school necklace is a term for the noose. This is because of the overwhelming sadness you feel after school begins returning.'

One user on Twitter posted an image and wrote"Currently working on my back-to-school necklace! !
For some children that pressure, whether from schoolwork, friends or their family life is frequently too much to bear with.

About seven percent of UK youngsters have attempted suicide before the age of 17 in an article of The British Journal of Psychiatry statistics published by The Guardian(opens in a new tab) in February of this year.

It also pointed out that more than 4 out of 10 people have suffered self-harm in the last year, and experts believe the numbers could increase because of the outbreak.

Dr Malie Coyne, a Clinical psychologist and the author of "Love in out, Love in out A compassionate method of raising your anxious child(opens in new tab) The author was shocked to hear about the new trend.

"The trend of the "back-to-school necklace" was a shock to me as I have a near-eight and a near 10-year-old daughter. However, I think it's crucial for parents to use the language of emotions in the home, where feelings are talked about and validated. Parents should also be encouraging their children to be open about their feelings and in all aspects - not just about going back in the school.'

If you're concerned about the back to school necklace fashion, you can simply say , 'I've seen this trend in the news Have you ever heard of it?' But you shouldn't discuss the specific issue unless you're worried for your children. If you're concerned about your child's mental health, speaking to them about this won't cause them to commit suicide.'
However, the Dr. Coyne explained the importance of using the correct method. She explained, "When your child tells you about something rather than gloss over it or to distract away from it, really validate their feeling and say 'that sounds like it was really difficult for you today.'"

And she clarified how to talk with your children concerning their psychological health, if they're not as open about their emotions, yet you've observed warning indications. "If you feel that they might be anxious about going back to school or depressed or low, you can say to your child 'I've noticed that you've been a little bit different lately or that you've been spending more time in your room. Tell them what you've noticed, rather than in an accusatory way 'you've been doing this'."

She emphasized that parents tend to less manage over 10 years olds and over-parent children under 10s. Therefore, it is necessary to adopt a different strategy for all ages. In her presentation, Dr. Coyne explained, "When teens ask us to go away', it doesn't necessarily mean that they're asking us to go away. They could be experiencing a difficult day, and we should inform them that we're always there to help them and be sure to check in with them frequently. You can say "You'd prefer to be on your own for a while, which is fine . I'll check in later since you're probably finding difficulties today" and do check-in. Keep checking in. They need you now as much as they ever did, maybe even more. Teens tend to be better at side-to-side communication on walks or in the car, and brief chats rather than lengthy ones."
If your child is afraid of school in the same way as the "back-to school necklace" meaning, she suggests parents "unpack" what it is that they fear for their child about school.

Then she added, "If you're telling them that I do not want to go to school, they're obviously thinking an extremely black and white mental picture. You're trying to figure out the issue that is causing them to be upset and the most important thing is to try to calm the child down and remain calm. Anxiety(opens in a new tab) is infectious, if you're not calm, then your child will not.'

If you are worried whether there's an underlying pattern in your child's absences or absences, the Dr. Coyne explains how to handle the issue. "Obviously that if your child is sick, you'll have to take your child into the GP. However, I would not allow your child to sit in front of the internet all day long when they're at home with their school as then there's no reason for them to attend the school. If they're sick, they're sick and can stay home for a portion of the day.

You could at times, with permission from the child to check in with your child's other parents, friends as well as the school to check how they're doing as well,' she said.

To determine what's causing their behavior is the key to creating an environment that is happy for the students and, as the Dr. Coyne warned, "You don't want a child to spend a long time out of school because that is going to be harder for them to go back."

What can you tell whether a child is struggling with mental health issues?
The Dr. Coyne listed her key indicators that indicate that the child is being silent:

• Changes in the way children communicate is it that they are avoiding social interaction? or being more in their bedrooms than previously?
• Do they wish to be in their own often?
• Are they in front of screens a lot?
• Mood fluctuates.
• Drinking alcohol or using substances.
• The feeling of despair.
• Doing not take part in activities that they once did.
• Finding it difficult to enjoy life.
• Is their sleeping or eating routines out of the same time?
• They may be engaging in risky behavior or even donating their possessions or stating 'I'm not going to remain around for too long'.
• You could also be looking for indicators of self-harm.
• Use your intuition to guide you.

Even children are shocked by the meaning. One person uploaded a trend which asked others to record yourself prior to and after searching for "back to school necklace"
If your child is a member of a family or only friends, Dr. Coyne made it clear that it is crucial for every child looking out for each other.

She said, "It's really important to encourage children and their siblings to take care of one another. That way you're trying promote empathy and compassion. If you see someone being kind to them, you could comment on 'that was really nice that you helped your sister' perhaps '....gave her an embrace instead of be focused on their arguments.
She even implements her own advice in action. "I'm even saying to them now, 'when you go out into town with your friends I want you to look out for each other and I want you to look out for your friends too - and don't let them do home alone. Make sure that you're with them and looking out for each other because it's really important."
If you're concerned about your child, let them know about your concerns and urge them to speak to someone they can trust. If you suspect that your teenager is at risk of harming himself or herself Contact you GP or a medical expert for advice immediately.

24/7/ 7 seven days per week. Call the number 116 123 or text SHOUT to 85258.

These apps are great to manage anxiety in children - Headspace (for children) Stop, Breathe and Think Kids and Smiling Mind.

It is also possible to visit A Lust for Life for more information.
In conjunction to World Suicide Prevention Day (10th of September) the an organization that helps prevent suicide R;pple(opens in a new tab) has introduced a new online tool that will protect children from harmful material. When it has identified keywords that relate to suicide or self-harm and suicide, it will show various mental health support lines and advice instead. This includes phone, text webchat, self-help apps, webchat and pocket resources available at no cost, 24 hours a day. It is completely free for download(opens in a new tab) and is available right now.

Selina is a Senior Entertainment Writer , with an impressive 14-year experience writing for magazines and newspapers. She manages everything Entertainment on behalf of Goodto .com, Woman&Home, and My Imperfect Life. Prior to taking over at Future Publishing, Selina graduated from the University of Sheffield in 2006 with an undergraduate diploma in journalism. Selina is NCTJ and NCE certified and can write 100wpm in shorthand. If she's not interviewing famous people, you'll be found exploring new landscapes walking trails, hanging out with friends over delicious food or creating memories.

(1) (Reply)

Nursing Scholarships / Chevening Scholarship. How To Apply With Full Guide / Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irunmole By D.o. Fagunwa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.