Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,419 members, 7,819,513 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

How I Think The Problem Of Flooding Can Be Solved Permanently In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Think The Problem Of Flooding Can Be Solved Permanently In Nigeria (613 Views)

Taraba Children & People Hug Peter Obi During His Visit To Victims Of Flooding / Nigeria’s Problems Can’t Be Solved Overnight, Says Peter Obi On CNN (Video) / Reno Omokri Reacts To Fashola's 'Electricity Problems Can’t Be Solved By Magic' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Think The Problem Of Flooding Can Be Solved Permanently In Nigeria by blazingblender(m): 11:49am On Nov 02, 2022
First of all i am not an environmental scientist neither am I someone who studied anything related to flood control ...
Everything here is a result of pure research
I may be very wrong but as my headline rightly stated .."HOW I THINK"
I just dropped it here for analysis (please pardon my typo errors if any)
It may be quite lengthy but it will be really worth the time
Ok ... Let's dive in
Before you find the HOW you have to first of all know the WHY
So why is they continuous flooding in most parts of nigeria ..
Well they are many reasons but I narrowed them down to three main causes of flooding in Nigeria ...
Before we look into the caused let's look at types of flooding according to my little researchs they are basically 5 types of flooding
If we can understand the types of flooding then we will know which one nigeria is facing and how to tackle it effectively
As gotten from safegroup.com the types of flooding includes
1. Tidal or coastal flooding
2.fluvial or river flooding
3. Flash flooding
4. Ground water flooding
5. Sewer flooding
After explaining this listing , we would know the type that is being faced by our dear country NIGERIA
1.Tidal/coastal flooding:[/b]Tidal as it sounds is simply any type of flooding that results from high tide of the river /sea or large wave crashing against the sea causing and upsurge of water to the land surface ..
This type of flooding is usually sudden as the tide can destroy lives and property ...
[b]2. Flash flooding:
This is what I call the temporary flooding ...
It comes and goes suddenly (highest 6 hrs) it can be as a result of heavy downpour that can't be contained by the drainage system ...
So the drainage is overwhelmed by the flooding causing water to remain on land until it finally and gradually drains away ..
This is majorly the problems of nigeria roads ....
This can be easily controlled by regularly clearing and maintaining drainage systems
3. Fluvial/River flooding: this types of flooding usually occurs when waterbodies ir waterways exceed the capacity of water it can contain due to heavy rain or obstruction to the river runways (e.g fallen trees on river paths , construction on water ways etc)..
The types of flooding mostly occurs in riverine areas ..
Residents of the area can detect the flooding simply by seeing water level rising over days or weeks signaling that a flood may be imminent
4. Groundwater flooding: this is simply when the natural water level in the ground rises above what can be accommodated..
This can result when they is much rain in a particular area which can result to water kidding in the ground making it hard to drain water away naturally..
This can also occur when open areas a re cemented or concreted over , removing soil and vegetation that would have contributed in absorbing the water
And finally
5. Sewer flooding: Sewer flooding is just the over flow of water from drainage and sewerage system ...
This happens when they is heavy they is heavy rain, flash flooding or groundwater flooding that exceeds the capacity of the sewerage also blockage of drainage and sewerage system can also cause it ...
This highly hazardous to humans because the water is mostly filled with bacteria and contaminants...
Waste water and sewage can overflow into residential areas posing a real risk to human health and safety ...
Now that we have looked at this types critically ...
Which /how many of them do you think Nigeria is currently experiencing
Left for me I will say All of them ...
But I will be listing 3 main causes of flooding in Nigeria which I believe if worked on will reduce flooding in Nigeria
Now let's look at the major causes of flooding in Nigeria
1. Sewer blockage: one of the main reasons why they is prolonged flooding in Nigeria is not heavy rain... But when this rain water has no route in which it can pass through to get to the rivers/water bodies where it is disposed
2. Fluvial risks: when the water bodies used for sewer disposal and had no where to flow into .
It tends to sewer disposal and had no where to flow into, it tends to push back to dry land where it sees channels of movement thereby causing the sewers to overflow and leading to stagnanted flood ..
3. Groundwater flooding: when they is excess water in the ground more than the natural wants it can contain the water tends to rise to the surface ....
Until it finds away to flow out.....
Now we have talked about the causes (why) let's look into the (How) solution to the flooding in the country.....
Typing
Re: How I Think The Problem Of Flooding Can Be Solved Permanently In Nigeria by blazingblender(m): 11:53am On Nov 02, 2022
Sewer flooding solution
Solving this is pretty simple ...
Clearing of gutters regularly will do a great job and mostly it has been that alot ọ times sand from pedestrian foots can cause blockage so it's advisable to always close the sewers with concrete slabs, which has openings to allow the easy flow of water and water bins should be made available on main roads and streets so pedestrians can dispose trash instead of disposing it into the sewer or gutter which can pile up to cause blockage and clogging ...
Laws should also be made that punish offenders who trash waste into sewers
Fluvial /river flooding solution
To solve this all we need is extension reservoir and dykes...
Dykes are simply long walls or embarkment built around water bodies to prevent flooding ..
Talking about extension reservoir we are talking about building or constructing lakes that has channels to the main river or water body in which the the sewer water flows into so Incase they is fluvial flooding or the water exceeds the limit the river can contain, it flows directly to the built in lake thereby causing little or no flooding effect, and dykes can be built around it (the lakes ) so Incase they is an overflow .... It will be unnoticeable by the residents ..
Also it will be advisable that vegetations trees are planted around the water bodies so it can conserve/submerge the flooding incase of any ....
Solotions to ground water flooding
I will recommend we use a types of drainage system called the French drain
The link be low will show you more about it
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DV17s91XeqvU&ved=2ahUKEwijweqnj4_7AhXK-6QKHUyTBgEQo7QBegQIDBAB&usg=AOvVaw3m3bmw5CjvpSJSaQR7kC1E
It is just a form of drainage system planted inside the ground used in removing excess water from the ground ...
This is simply done by gravel and a pipe as shown in the video ..
This will really help in reducing flooding in places affected by excessive ground water flooding
Below is the strategic method i believe should be followed to reduce the flooding in Nigeria
1. We need to find the rivers/water bodies in which all the sewers lead to ..
With this we can determine if the flooding is as a result of fluvial effect or not..
2. Next thing after identifyng the sewer dispose point ... Is to create/build a lake ...
This lake should be built in a way that it channels with the sewer dispose point (rivers) so Incase they is an overflow of the river, water can flow into the lake until the river is stabilized ... With this they will be no need of worrying about water flowing into dry land after the river is full ....
3. The next thing to do after building the lakes is to create dykes ...
Like I mentioned earlier .. dykes are large long walls built around water bodies to prevent flooding ...
So the dykes will be built round the lakes so Incase the river over flows it will hit on the walls without penetrating the city or dry land ..
4. At this point we use machinery drainage to suck water from affected parts and water will be taken to the newly built reservoir or lake and they dumped
5. After the water must have been drained to some extent .. clogged water ways or sewers will be opened and worked on , incase of sewer blockage or something ...
If they is any need, it will be remodeled to allow easy and better inflow of water, by this act the remaining flood in the area will flow down to the river where it normally flows to ....
6.. Some testing will be done on the ground to know if water has been excessive down there ...
Then French draining will be introduced to reduce the amount of water in the ground Incase of any
If all the steps listed below are followed , I believe the flood will be cleared in less than no time ..
And it will take quite a longer time before it might resurface
How to maintain this
1. Slabs should be introduced to gutters/sewers to avoid sand from filling it up
2. Dispose containers should be introduced to major roads and streets so waste can be disposed by passerby or pedestrians ...
The essence of this is to avoid them using the sewers as alternative which when accumulated can cause blockage of the gutters
3. Penalties should be placed on offenders who throw waste into gutters,sewers and rivers
4. It should he made mandatory that gutters should be cleaned atleast once in two weeks by residents of the area ...
For easy flow of waste water to the reservoir
What do you think
Re: How I Think The Problem Of Flooding Can Be Solved Permanently In Nigeria by incandescentena: 11:55am On Nov 02, 2022
FP material

Well done op

2 Likes

Re: How I Think The Problem Of Flooding Can Be Solved Permanently In Nigeria by fman(m): 11:59am On Nov 02, 2022
Na the literature review of your project topic, u just posted?
Re: How I Think The Problem Of Flooding Can Be Solved Permanently In Nigeria by jude79(m): 3:33pm On Nov 02, 2022
Look, the flooding I'm Nigeria is very easy to solve, build a dam that's two and half the size of Cameroon's dam, build Intermittent smaller dam as holders on it's paths incase it overflows, release the water intermittently through out the dry season for dry season, farming and electricity generation for flash flooding, huge underground drainages will sort that out.

1 Like

Re: How I Think The Problem Of Flooding Can Be Solved Permanently In Nigeria by DaniDani(m): 4:24pm On Nov 02, 2022
jude79:
Look, the flooding I'm Nigeria is very easy to solve, build a dam that's two and half the size of Cameroon's dam, build Intermittent smaller dam as holders on it's paths incase it overflows, release the water intermittently through out the dry season for dry season, farming and electricity generation for flash flooding, huge underground drainages will sort that out.

Very apt and practicable. The problem is Nigeria is led by animals and animals vote in fellow animals.
Re: How I Think The Problem Of Flooding Can Be Solved Permanently In Nigeria by jude79(m): 12:00am On Nov 03, 2022
DaniDani:

Very apt and practicable. The problem is Nigeria is led by animals and animals vote in fellow animals.

You got it, Nigeria's topography is very good with little engineering challenge, what it actually needs is a national engineering plan that will take all this flood and sewage challenge into consideration, doing this will generate tremendous wealth for the country, but what Nigeria have as leaders are little minded ethnic champions posing as national leaders

1 Like

Re: How I Think The Problem Of Flooding Can Be Solved Permanently In Nigeria by BossGerald: 12:11am On Nov 03, 2022
Op you're not wrong at all but you've missed the first step...

First step is to vote out Apc, Tinubu and his gang of owo mida thugs...

That way we'll not only solve the flood issues but also of insecurity, touts, fulani herdsmen and their tinubu sympathiser, ritual killings in the southwest, bandits in the north, looters, online urchins, bad economy...finally there'd be a breath of fresh air in this country.

Vote wisely.
Re: How I Think The Problem Of Flooding Can Be Solved Permanently In Nigeria by blazingblender(m): 1:06pm On Nov 04, 2022
BossGerald:

Op you're not wrong at all but you've missed the first step...

First step is to vote out Apc, Tinubu and his gang of owo mida thugs...

That way we'll not only solve the flood issues but also of insecurity, touts, fulani herdsmen and their tinubu sympathiser, ritual killings in the southwest, bandits in the north, looters, online urchins, bad economy...finally there'd be a breath of fresh air in this country.

Vote wisely.
Abi ...
Just need a government to implement it

(1) (Reply)

EXPOSED: Angry Residents Stone Tinubu In Jos (video) / WATCH: “snatch Power, Run With It” – Tinubu Tells APC Chieftains / Apologise For Lying That Obasanjo As President Knelt Before Me –atiku Tells Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.