Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK (7193 Views)

Nigerian Wonderkid Becomes Youngest Certified Cloud Practitioner In Africa At 13 / Meet Emmanuella Mayaki: Hired By A School In The UK As Coding Instructor / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by achu442(m): 7:59pm On Nov 09, 2022
Space booked
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Rhodzz: 6:07am On Nov 10, 2022
Ejiod:
I should make my 1st post this weekend.
My apologies for the wait..
patiently waiting
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Ejiod(m): 7:22am On Nov 12, 2022
To be sincere, this new opportunity was a great one for me.
The journey started Q2 of this year. All I can say is His Grace propelled me beyond my thinking.
Though it hasn't been that easy especially when you consider some factors. Aside from that, I was doing fine.

Rewind--->>

Back then in Nigeria, I worked as an analyst, my last experience really shaped my skillset, especially SQL. No one will tell you this.
SQL currently remains the number 1 skill any data professional should have. Then in my previous company, we had like 5 analysts, each writing SQL queries that are always complex and from that output making use of BI tools or python to analyze and present the result. It was a great collaboration.
From the growth I had, a series of thoughts started lingering if I should switch to data engineering since I already had good background knowledge in SQL, databases, and python. I just had to shelve it.

Fast foward>>>

The fact is that everyone has been applying to international countries and has been getting regret mail. I have been there too.
In May I applied for a position. The 1st stage was a code challenge/analytics questions to test my skills. After passing the stage, I had 3 extra interviews( technical, non-technical, and work culture fit test).

Mid-July, I got a mail that I was successful and that the immigration agency would reach out to me.
Omoooo, thats how I jumped up oooo. I can't remember how many times I jumped. It was a big moment for me. If someone had earlier told me I was going to the UK this year I would just laughed at the person.
Ending of july, that's how I got a mail from the company processing the immigration to enter my details. They got me my certificate of sponsorship in 2 weeks. The visa type is a skilled worker hence the need to get the sponsorship certificate.
During the process, I had to get Medium of instruction, BSc certificate/transcript which puts me on level C1 of English proficiency.
Early September, I applied for the Visa(Priority) which came out in a week.
The biggest jump I had this year was when I got a call from DHL that someone is waiting outside. I already knew it was my passport. Getting downstairs, I saw the man. He gave me the parcel, that's how I quickly climb upstairs and opened the door. The next move was opening the package. As I opened my passport, it automatically opened in the middle and I saw the visa stamp. That's how I jumped up oo, I was jumping like a child.

....still writing..

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by SavageBoy: 7:32am On Nov 12, 2022
Ejiod:
The journey started Q2 of this year. All I can say is His Grace propelled me beyond my thinking.
Though it hasn't been that easy especially when you consider some factors. Aside from that, I was doing fine.

Rewind--->>

Back then in Nigeria, I worked as an analyst, my last experience really shaped my skillset, especially SQL. No one will tell you this.
SQL currently remains the number 1 skill any data professional should have. Then in my previous company, we had like 5 analysts, each writing SQL queries that are always complex and from that output making use of BI tools or python to analyze and present the result. It was a great collaboration.
From the growth I had, a series of thoughts started lingering if I should switch to data engineering since I already had good background knowledge in SQL, databases, and python. I just had to shelve it.

Fast foward>>>

The fact is that everyone has been applying to international countries and has been getting regret mail. I have been there too.
In May I applied for a position. The 1st stage was a code challenge/analytics questions to test my skills. After passing the stage, I had 3 extra interviews( technical, non-technical, and work culture fit test).

Mid-July, I got a mail that I was successful and that the immigration agency would reach out to me.
Omoooo, thats how I jumped up oooo. I can't remember how many times I jumped. It was a big moment for me. If someone had earlier told me I was going to the UK this year I would just laughed at the person.
Ending of july, that's how I got a mail from the company processing the immigration to enter my details. They got me my certificate of sponsorship in 2 weeks. The visa type is a skilled worker hence the need to get the sponsorship certificate.
During the process, I had to get Medium of instruction, BSc certificate/transcript which puts me on level C1 of English proficiency.
The biggest jump I had this year was when I got a call from DHL that someone is waiting outside. I already knew it was my passport. Getting downstairs, I saw the man. He gave me the parcel, that's how I quickly climb upstairs and opened the door. The next move was opening the package. As I opened my passport, it automatically opened in the middle and I saw the visa stamp. That's how I jumped up oo, I was jumping like a child.

....still writing..

Wow! Congrats chief.

I can imagine how joyful these moments were for you.
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Ow0eg0kudi: 8:09am On Nov 12, 2022
Ejiod:

Rewind--->>

SQL currently remains the number 1 skill any data professional should have.

....still writing..

More feathers to your professional/career cap.

Big congratulations.
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Lawalabiodun(m): 9:40am On Nov 12, 2022
Ejiod:

Rewind--->>

Fast foward>>>

....still writing..

Nice one bro, wishing you the best in your future endeavors.
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Kaycee54321(m): 10:45am On Nov 12, 2022
Ejiod.

I recently met a D.A. who works for an airline. We got talking and coincidentally, your first thread was also what made her get into the analytics space.

You don't know how many people you've influenced. One day, we will find you and we will thank you.

Fingers crossed for your next entry...

18 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by peterincredible: 1:34pm On Nov 12, 2022
Kaycee54321:
Ejiod.

I recently met a D.A. who works for an airline. We got talking and coincidentally, your first thread was also what made her get into the analytics space.

You don't know how many people you've influenced. One day, we will find you and we will thank you.

Fingers crossed for your next entry...
Wow
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Esiman(m): 5:32pm On Nov 12, 2022
Congratulations boss.
Ejiod:

Rewind--->>

Fast foward>>>

....still writing..

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by AyobamiIsaac12: 7:31pm On Nov 12, 2022
Ejiod:

Rewind--->>

Fast foward>>>

....still writing..

Mehn, I'm shedding tears reading this. God will pick my call very soon
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by dauddy97(m): 4:19pm On Nov 13, 2022
AyobamiIsaac12:
Amen and congratulations to Ejiod

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by layzie: 7:54am On Nov 15, 2022
@ ejiod

Congratulations brother.
Quick question- do I need a special spec of laptop like core I5, I7 to work effectively in data analysis. Or will just any spec of laptop do?
Thanks
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Rechargeam247(f): 12:03pm On Nov 15, 2022
Which one is data practitioner again

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Johndevmark: 9:29pm On Nov 16, 2022
hmmm: this is taking forever. Cant remember how many times i've refreshed this page :-)

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by TastyFriedPussy: 3:56pm On Nov 17, 2022
AyobamiIsaac12:
you are not going anywhere. You'll never leave or see beyond the shore's of this country till you kpeme. Nobody is picking your call. Nonsense..Come and go lemme see you.
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Tenshades(m): 4:08pm On Nov 17, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
you are not going anywhere. You'll never leave or see beyond the shore's of this country till you kpeme. Nobody is picking your call.

Be like the guy don vex u before grin

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Maxxim: 4:12pm On Nov 17, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
you are not going anywhere. You'll never leave or see beyond the shore's of this country till you kpeme. Nobody is picking your call.
Guy tongue

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by fastanddubious(m): 8:56pm On Nov 17, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
you are not going anywhere. You'll never leave or see beyond the shore's of this country till you kpeme. Nobody is picking your call. Nonsense..Come and go lemme see you.
You know this guy in person? undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Arobake: 2:58am On Nov 18, 2022
And 'twas your thread that gave me hope to follow my interest in coding despite my age (not that I've been able to get far, though cry. So if you are booking a seat on this thread, I'm booking a bench!

tensazangetsu20:
Following o. Make I come take some inspiration. Your thread then was one of the things that inspire me to learn coding.

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by AyobamiIsaac12: 4:48pm On Nov 18, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
Who is this?
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by captaininiobong(m): 9:33am On Nov 19, 2022
I want to become a data analyst, I got inspired by Ejiod story. Right now, I have learnt some part of excel and SPSS, try to see that I can cover in python. (08121808761 whatsap) experts pls assist a brother, sometimes I feel lost but found. But I will thrive till I achieve it
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by captaininiobong(m): 9:43am On Nov 19, 2022
For intending data analyst, I think we should have a general platform where we can appeal to pro of data on nairaland. To be guided in our decision making. What do you think..

Everyone

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Emmyxclusive: 11:57am On Nov 19, 2022
captaininiobong:
For intending data analyst, I think we should have a general platform where we can appeal to pro of data on nairaland. To be guided in our decision making. What do you think..

Everyone
Are u suggesting a whatsapp group?
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by cyrusmillz: 10:27pm On Nov 19, 2022
Emmyxclusive:
Are u suggesting a whatsapp group?

No WhatsApp group abeg.The other thread is still very much alive for everyone to learn and add your inputs as you advance in this journey

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Ejiod(m): 8:43pm On Nov 20, 2022
layzie:
@ ejiod

Congratulations brother.
Quick question- do I need a special spec of laptop like core I5, I7 to work effectively in data analysis. Or will just any spec of laptop do?
Thanks
Any spec,
These days, things are in the cloud and you can run any heavy computing task from the “sky”

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Ejiod(m): 8:47pm On Nov 20, 2022
captaininiobong:
I want to become a data analyst, I got inspired by Ejiod story. Right now, I have learnt some part of excel and SPSS, try to see that I can cover in python. (08121808761 whatsap) experts pls assist a brother, sometimes I feel lost but found. But I will thrive till I achieve it
You need to ask yourself what you need to do.
My advice is for you to get your feet wet on SQL.
Building fancy visuals with BI tools like Tableau or PowerBi is not Data Analysis.
You need to understand logic around crunching the data for insight.

6 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by 73O9: 3:07am On Nov 21, 2022
Ejiod:

Building fancy visuals with BI tools like Tableau or PowerBi is not Data Analysis.

The freetutorialus. com site is no longer working, can you suggest another site?

I was only able to download python hoping to download R language another time before I noticed it wasn't online anymore.
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by thedesignexpert: 7:23am On Nov 21, 2022
The Design Expert saves you time and money by creating attractive and professional logos and websites for your business at a low cost. We believe in adding value to your brand and elevating its position above and beyond expectations.
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by yerobiukini(m): 5:32pm On Nov 21, 2022
Ejiod:

I will suggest you block people from commenting so as to avoid derailing the thread while a new thread strictly for Q & A should be created

See below thread as an example
https://www.nairaland.com/5872368/married-medical-students-diary

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 21, 2022
Ejiod:

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. My story is very long, but I have decided that it's data science I want to venture into, after spending 10 unhappy years in medical school. Long story, I would like to be friends with you. I have decided to take my life into my hands and I'm not turning back. Data science all the way, because since secondary school days I have always loved mathematics, further maths (I have always had distinction in maths and further maths, and economics plus the pure sciences) and analysing things. My personality type is INTP, I'm a deep thinker, I think a lot and like to analyze things.

I want to do something I would enjoy doing and at the same time make enough money from it to enjoy my life.

Please can we talk on WhatsApp? My story is very interesting and I could make a movie out of my life.

I would be very grateful if you agree to mentor me, I promise not to bug you with anything irrelevant. Thanks.

Can I drop my WhatsApp number, or you can send me a mail with your WhatsApp number on nairaland29@gmail.com

Thanks
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Decapheno(f): 7:44pm On Nov 24, 2022
Jackofall:

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. My story is very long, but I have decided that it's data science I want to venture into, after spending 10 unhappy years in medical school. Long story, I would like to be friends with you. I have decided to take my life into my hands and I'm not turning back. Data science all the way, because since secondary school days I have always loved mathematics, further maths (I have always had distinction in maths and further maths, and economics plus the pure sciences) and analysing things. My personality type is INTP, I'm a deep thinker, I think a lot and like to analyze things.

I want to do something I would enjoy doing and at the same time make enough money from it to enjoy my life.

Please can we talk on WhatsApp? My story is very interesting and I could make a movie out of my life.

I would be very grateful if you agree to mentor me, I promise not to bug you with anything irrelevant. Thanks.

Can I drop my WhatsApp number, or you can send me a mail with your WhatsApp number on nairaland29@gmail.com

Thanks
I'd love to hear your story
Re: Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 24, 2022
Decapheno:

I'd love to hear your story

I'm planning on writing my story on nairaland for people to contribute but I fear that it will make me more confused about my decision eventually.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. / How To Develop Android Apps From Scratch Without Coding. / You need to see this! "Awoof" Offer You Can't Get Anywhere Else

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.