Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Entertainment News Gists - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Entertainment News Gists (1275 Views)

Serious Naija Entertainment News Writer Needed / Entertainment News Writer Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Entertainment News Gists by miztapheek(m): 11:29am On Aug 22, 2011
2011 CHANNEL O MUSIC AWARDS;JESSE JAGZ,WIZKID,NAETO C, OTHERS MAKE LIST
This year's edition of the Channel O Music awards nominees list has been released with acts from Angola, Ghana, Mozambique, Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda and Namibia in the running for it.This time, only the Original African category features multiple artists with two or more nods, making it an open field for nominees in the 14 categories.This edition sees a massive 10 videos in contention for the Most Gifted Video of the Year award.Among the strongest bid is Kenya’s STL, whose “Lookie Lookie” has been nominated thrice for Most Gifted Female Video, Most Gifted Dance Video and Most Gifted Video of the Year. Alongside her is Ugandan artist, Navio, whose “Keep Moving” is up for Most Gifted Video of the Year as well as Most Gifted Male Video and Most Gifted Hip Hop Video.Also making a play for attention is hotshot South African artist Zakes Bantwini whose “Wasting My Time” clip has earned him a nod in the Most Gifted Video of the Year category as well as Most Gifted Male Video. He is up against Nigeria’s D’Banj with his “Mr. Endowed (Remix)’ featuring Snoop Dogg.In the Most Gifted Newcomer category, Wizkid will face South Africa’s AKA, Uganda’s Keko, Nigeria’s Ice Prince, Zambia’s Zone Fam and South Africa’s Kwesta.Most Gifted Hip Hop Video meanwhile has Collo (Kenya) slugging it out against Jesse Jagz featuring M.I. and Ice Prince (Nigeria), Proverb featuring Lungelo (South Africa), Navio (Uganda) and AKA (South Africa).In addition to STL’s success, another female has also made an impact on a music scene dominated by male artists. South Africa’s Lira has a double nomination for the video “Phakade” in the Most Gifted Video of the Year and Most Gifted Female Video categories.

STEPH NORA-''P-SQUARE STOLE MY SONG''
Award winning artists P-square and Nollywood actress Steph Nora Okereke are currently at logger heads, a development that might see them heading to the courts.Steph-Nora Okereke recently alleged that they stole materials from Jeje, one of the tracks in her yet-to-be released debut album. Incidentally, the 14-tracker album titled ‘The Invasion’ released by the twin-brothers on their Square Records (SR) has a song entitled Jeje, and featured RnB/Soul crooner, Waje.The actress cum producer who is just making a foray into music sampled the opinion of Jude Okoye, the elder brother of the stars, several months ago with her own version of the song.Steph-Nora reveals that she sought the opinion of the elder Okoye based on mutual respect and his experience as a moving force behind the success of P Square. The visibly upset actress says:“What they did was to remix the chorus of my version to a danceable track. That was not all; they also gave their version the same title, Jeje and featured Waje.”She explains further: “I sent the song over to Jude via email and he listened to it. The next day I called him for his opinion and he said exactly these words ‘Stephnora the song is good but don’t release it like that because it doesn’t meet the standard of the Nigerian market’. I asked him what should be done and he suggested that I return to the studios and brush it up.“As a brother and colleague, I took his advice and went back to the studio with my producer, Jiff. I also consulted with my manager, and we agreed to improve on the work ahead of the album launch, which I planned for this December. I finally completed the song in May/ June. But to my consternation, two weeks ago my personal assistant called my attention to P Square’s new album, which included a track entitled Jeje.”Ope Banwo in his reaction disclosed that he intended to file a copyright infringement lawsuit against P Square next week if they do not respond to their demand letter. “This kind of thing should not be tolerated. P Square is a big group that should not take advantage of up and coming artistes and their friends. Stephnora trusted them and they stabbed her in the back,” he added.

DON JAZZY OFFERS OVER N1.2M IN OLIVER DANCE COMPETITION
For over three weeks, Mohits Records boss, Michael Collins a.k.a Don Jazzy‘Enigma Music Competition created so much buzz on and off Twitter, getting so many artistes all creative and yet again he is in the news offering over N1.2 Million naira ($7,500) and other consolation prizes for a Dance Video Competition to D’ banjnew song, Oliver. Mohits Records have stated the call for fun videos from either individuals or group dancing to the Oliver song, which the Mohits crew themselves made a fun video to on their official website dancing energetically to tunes radiating from the gigantic sound system behind them.According to Mohits Records’ official website, ‘following the success of the #Enigma competition we at Mo’Hits Records have decided to give a chance to people with different kinds of talent – Dance, Comedy or anything Entertaining…’
Don Jazzy gave away N560, 000 naira ($3, 500) in the Enigma competition where he created the beat and released on Twitter for artistes to sing over. However, unlike the first contest which has three places, this one has five positions; 1st place gets $2, 5000, 2nd place to grab $2, 000, 3rd $1, 500, the 4th position to get $1,000 and finally in the 5th position $500. He also stated that top 10 entries will be part of the Official Oliver video and the top 50 entries will get a free Koko Mobile Handset.
Ranking as the first Nigerian to get over 100, 000 followers on Twitter, Don Jazzy has emerged as a strong brand himself. And just as the mad-rush flooded the streets, facebook and twitter at the release of Enigma, this again would keep many people  busy.

CHANTE MOORE LIVE IN LAGOS CONCERT POSTPONED
Virtual Xchange, and True Health Foundation have postponed the Chante Moore Live in Lagos Charity Concert till 23rd October 2011.As part of her African trip, Chante Moore was to perform 20th of August at Harbour Point, Victoria Island alongside Wizkid & Banky W. Chante Moore who is presently in South Africa, having featured at the ABSA Capital Leading Women in South Africa Event will return to the United States and return to Nigeria in October for the Charity Concert.The decision to postpone the concert was made in conjunction with Chante Moore and was arrived at primarily because more time was required to conclude the placement of a dialysis machine and ensure access to it by its beneficiaries. This was and is considered critically important, as the ultimate aim of the concert is to raise support for the treatment for pregnant women suffering from Acute Renal Failure.
Virtual Xchange stated that it will continue to work with its partners and industry leaders to deliver a truly incredible concert experience to music lovers while also contributing to a socially relevant cause.These include Smooth FM, Sound City; Chromes, Hart to Hart and Southern Sun Hotel.
For those who have bought tickets, the organizers have requested that they hold on to them as a wonderful experience awaits them. For those who haven’t, tickets are still available at Chrome, Swe Bar, Soul Lounge, Bogobiri, Hub Media Store at the Palms, Silverbird Galleria & Terra Kulture.

GLO,M-NET LAUNCHES SEASON 3 OF GLO NAIJA SINGS
National telecom operator, Globacom, in partnership with leading Pay-TV Giant, M-Net Africa, has announced the commencement of the third season of the famed musical reality TV show in Nigeria, Sings. This followed the runaway success of the second season of the popular programme, which was won last year by the singing sensation, Casey Edema.Speaking at the event, Gideon Khobane, Marketing Manager, M-Net Africa, said the company was happy to partner with Glo once more on a programme which has continued to draw large audience eager to see, hear and celebrate great music from rising Nigerian stars.Viewers of the programme will also have an exciting time as selection will be done by voting through short messages (SMS) on their phones. Viewers stand to win exciting prizes such as Glo high speed internet modems, Glo recharge cards and DSTV mobile phones as a reward for their participation.Already, auditions have been held in several locations across the country with top contestants selected inIbadan, Benin, Enugu, Port Harcourt, Abuja, Kaduna and Lagos.Open to a wide range of vocal music performers from soloists and duos to groups of up to four persons, Season 3 of Glo Naija Sings will allow contestants to put their singing ambitions to the test. Selected contestants, who must be Nigerian citizens over the age of 18, will be allowed to display their talents, win great prizes and get an accelerated shot at stardom.A new addition to this season’s show is a music sensation, Dare Art-Alade while the energetic Denrele Edun will be bringing his unique style, panache and humour to the production, as a ‘behind-the-scenes’ presenter.Returning to lend his knowledge and skills to the aspiring contestants is music star, Tosin Martins as vocal and performance coach, while the ever dynamic Dokta Frabz is back as music director.In order to make the show even more interesting, other specially selected music professionals, artistes and top Nigerian music industry icons will be joining Olisa during each episode as celebrity judges.

MALTINA DANCE ALL SEASON 5 AUDITION COMES TO AN END
In what could be described as the most exciting family reality TV show in Nigeria, the fifth season of the Maltina Dance All (MDA) regional auditions lived up to its billing as the curtains finally fell.During the auditions, the judges selected people who would represent their respective families at the Maltina Academy in August. MDA is a unique TV reality show where families strive to outdo each other through the mastery of various types of dance steps ranging from Wazobia, Jive, Pantomime, Samba to Salsa.This year’s regional auditions took place in Abuja, Enugu, Port-Harcourt, Ibadan, Lagos and Benin and were undoubtedly memorable in the hearts of millions of Nigerians by the excitement and buzz surrounding them. Season 5’s MDA auditions featured an unprecedented number of contestants across the 6 regions where the auditions were held. Contestants came out in droves displaying their dancing skills in intense try-outs.The auditions, which took off in Abuja and Enugu simultaneously, were filled with thrill and excitement.The regional auditions in Lagos proved to be one of the most interesting, considering that Lagos is the focal point of entertainment in Nigeria. The anticipation and excitement at the National Theatre, venue of the Lagos audition, was executed amidst palpable excitement. Thousands of contestants thronged the venue of the auditions in the early hours of the morning all set to show their skills. The contestants displayed a high level of dexterity and know-how of many dance styles which proved a feat for the judges to decide upon. At the end of the keenly contested auditions; Ogechi Okuledogu,Omukoyem Catherine, Gloria Biachi, Ayo Ojueromi, Ali Praise, Adekpe Kerry, Michael Obi and Damilola Titiloya emerged as representatives of the Lagos region.Speaking at one of the regional auditions, Muyiwa Osinaike, veteran dancer, choreographer and one of the judges said that the auditions were interesting and very entertaining. He based his criteria for selecting the final eight on five basic standards. First was the dancer’s creative ability, then his or her knowledge of different dance styles, ability to teach and learn fast, stamina and brand fitness, i.e. ability to align with the Maltina brand values and represent the brand well.Following the new arrangement, the winning family will now take home N5 million in addition to a brand new family car, while the first and second runners up will take home N1 million and N500, 000 respectively.

(1) (Reply)

The Vigilante: Curse Of The Sword Now Available On Okadabooks!!! / ONLY FOR LOVE "Episode 2" Written By @saint_haywhy / I Need A Story Editor Or A Movie Script Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.