Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,425 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) (10630 Views)

Pls Advice Me,my Salary Is 25k And My Gf Always Talk About Marriage / Can I Get Married With This Income In Abeokuta, Ogun State? / Can't We Just Get Married Without Involving Families? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by salinson: 12:01pm On Aug 22, 2011
my salary is #45,000 and am thinking of marrying is the money manageable for the start or not pls your advise pls
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by r231(m): 12:18pm On Aug 22, 2011
E get as e be o

1 Like

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by MrCork17: 12:23pm On Aug 22, 2011
salinson:

my salary is #45,000 and am thinking of marrying is the money manageable for the start or not pls your advise pls

huh. they sell wife in Nigeria for #45,000? thats about £80 in the UK!! undecided
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by iyatrustee(f): 12:24pm On Aug 22, 2011
Dat would be difficult sha but with if you are prudent in your spending, you should be able to save just enof to kickstart ur marriage plans and watch things unfold gradually.

1 Like

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 22, 2011
You are earning 45k and to you it seems small! i've seen people tht earn 120k and it is still small to them! And they complain they cannot marry on a 120k salary!
here's what i'll say to you!
Look for an understanding wife that will be willing to support you, and ready to SHARE! She shouldn't be a heavy spender, else you my friend are on a loooong thing! She should also be earning some cash! If she is earning 45k, you two would be raking in 90k monthly and that to me is ENOUGH to run a simple home!
Now, you two would need to make a budget! Divide your money  and be strict about it! E.g if you run out of your monthly allowance for meat or recharge cards or whatever, MAKE SURE YOU DONT ENCROACH on money set aside for savings to buy meat or whatever!
Before you BUY anything, consider if it is really, NECESSARY!
If you need something, search for new items on sale at discount prices or good USED items!
Dont be an Impulsive spender! Try not going for the latest things all the time!
Consider that it usually costs LESS to buy ingriedents and cook meals in your home than it does to EAT OUT!

These is all i can say for now! MAKE YOUR DECISIONS WISELY!!! SO HELP YOU GOD!!! smiley

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Goldieluks: 12:28pm On Aug 22, 2011
why no seek help from your family and friends?
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Skywalker5(m): 12:29pm On Aug 22, 2011
Mr, Cork:

huh. they sell wife in Nigeria for #45,000? thats about £80 in the UK!! undecided

LMFAO
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by MMM2(m): 12:32pm On Aug 22, 2011
op
dat money is not even enough for buying HARD DRUGS in DOWN TOWN for a big boy to take in a day. angry
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by dave2(m): 12:48pm On Aug 22, 2011
M M M:

op
dat money is not even enough for buying HARD DRUGS in DOWN TOWN for a big boy to take in a day. angry

Unreasonable and disgusting post sad sad sad sad sad

@ Poster

My answer is yes, it will surely be enough if and only if u prioritize your needs and be prudent in your spending.
At least for a start, things will surely improve with time

1 Like

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by ebonyvibe(f): 12:53pm On Aug 22, 2011
Mr Cork it not about £80 it is just under £200.

It is not enough for the average couple anywhere in the world that I know but it depends on the kinda life u and your wife to be want to lead. Afterall conductors have wives.

Is your partner working? how old are u? if you are young try and make more mony first

If you are old let your wife know the situiation o soo u dont end up divorce personally i will say dont

1 Like

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Dsage1: 12:54pm On Aug 22, 2011
@op.although dat money mayb small but at time it should'nt be an excuse 4 som1 not 2 married.D point is dat,get urseif a wife dat wi hav an additional incom 2 d family.2ndly,spend according 2 ur income&most importantly,dont marry an extravagant wife.
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by ice234: 12:57pm On Aug 22, 2011
It depends on how u manage it. Those aboki (shoe maker) don't they earn less but the are happily married with kids

1 Like

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 22, 2011
poster, i feel ur pains bro. Ur situation is also bn face by millions of bachelors in naija, our major problem is dat most naija girls r makin tins difficult wit their high and mighty taste. Anyway,here is my advice for u: try and save to start a small biz before u venture into marriage. I bliv u find it difficult to sustain alone wit 45k, so bringin some one to join u survive wit d same income is too risky. Pls tk my advice. Save and start up a small biz to tk care of little expences b4 u bring madam home. I wish u well in ur journey ahead.

3 Likes

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Kx: 1:33pm On Aug 22, 2011
N45k/month, is d cup half full or half emtpy?
Mind u, its still above the much talked about minimum wage of N18k/month.

It is small no doubt, but people have married with less that N20k/month.
See it this way.

U were on zero yesterday, at N45k/month today, will be on much more tommorrow.

3 Likes

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Allohrandy(m): 1:51pm On Aug 22, 2011
Poster,that amount of salary is okay to get marry.but u must make sure your wife work too so as to supplement your family income.
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by ebonyvibe(f): 2:09pm On Aug 22, 2011
what a lot of twiddle . My friend it is not enough unless you what to leave in poverty.

do u intend to have kids in a year as all nigerians do after marriage. do you have somewhere to live if you are young dont

if you re old try and do something else? there are lots of children living in poverty than to bring another one in.
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by ifyalways(f): 3:02pm On Aug 22, 2011
This discussion should honestly be btwn you and your wife.

Is your wife employed,into business,a student or just stay at home?

What kind of work do you do?Im asking just so I'd know if there are, aside your basic salary,room for egunje and lil'but consistent stipends to be made here and there.

Do you have some free hours in your hands?You can start side hustling too.

Please does your wife to be know how much you earn now?This is very important,don't lie to her,let her know beforehand so she won't have dreams that wud soon turn to nightmares.

Do you have dependents,family,siblings?How do u intend to reduce what you give out now?

Please you and ur wife should not forget to go for Family Planing.Very important.
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Nobody: 3:21pm On Aug 22, 2011
op its just enough. If your wife is not working i hope she has modest really modest taste, will be supportive emotionally and spending wise with that you can make it and if she earns less than you at least money is coming in for her needs and some to spare and if she earns more than you then no shaking you guys will be fine until your income increases you cannot afford to spend outside the budget.

I sincerely hope you sincerely love each other because hmmm trying days are ahead and is such situations love makes the hard times look easy.

1 Like

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by salinson: 3:42pm On Aug 22, 2011
thanks all for ur understanding support
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Jeezy: 5:22pm On Aug 22, 2011
*Singing Fela* U go suffa, u go taya, u go quench, tongue tongue tongue
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Rhino5dm: 5:25pm On Aug 22, 2011
come to think of it. My freind quit his job cos he felt 160K is too small. Irony of life i guess.

@ OP
Follow your heart and damn the consequency.

1 Like

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by jerryben12: 5:30pm On Aug 22, 2011
salinson:

Cut your coat according to your size. With N45,000 a month you can still live a quality live and plan for higher grounds:

Housing - N12,500 per month (Decent 1 Bedroom Flat in Ikorodu, Owode, Berger, Akuwonjo etc)
Feeding - N15,000 per month (Take lunch to work from home. This is just you and your wife)
Transportation - N4,000 per month
Clothing - N5,000 (Save this for 2 months and do clothing shopping every 2 or 3 months)
Wife up keep - N5,000 per month
Others - N3,000
Savings - N5,500 (This will increase when your income increases)

Easy to do. Just get use to this routine. When you get married, your wife may bring in some money too. Before she gets a job, make sure that you give her the feeding money monthly.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Roland17(m): 5:31pm On Aug 22, 2011
If you and your wife plan strategically and spend prudently and also cut your coat according to your size, i believe the money would be enough, also if the source of income is stable and has prospects to increase that would be the ultimate.

Pls pls pls, in the name of anything you worship or revere, don't go ahead bearing too many children now, i would suggest one, if possible keep children away for now.

Also your wife must not be dependent on that source of income, she must also be either working or engaged in a profitable business that would support the family.
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by damola1: 5:34pm On Aug 22, 2011
sexkillz:

You are earning 45k and to you it seems small! i've seen people tht earn 120k and it is still small to them! And they complain they cannot marry on a 120k salary!
here's what i'll say to you!
Look for an understanding wife that will be willing to support you, and ready to SHARE! She shouldn't be a heavy spender, else you my friend are on a loooong thing! She should also be earning some cash! If she is earning 45k, you two would be raking in 90k monthly and that to me is ENOUGH to run a simple home!
Now, you two would need to make a budget! Divide your money  and be strict about it! E.g if you run out of your monthly allowance for meat or recharge cards or whatever, MAKE SURE YOU DONT ENCROACH on money set aside for savings to buy meat or whatever!
Before you BUY anything, consider if it is really, NECESSARY!
If you need something, search for new items on sale at discount prices or good USED items!
Dont be an Impulsive spender! Try not going for the latest things all the time!
Consider that it usually costs LESS to buy ingriedents and cook meals in your home than it does to EAT OUT!

These is all i can say for now! MAKE YOUR DECISIONS WISELY!!! SO HELP YOU GOD!!! smiley

jerryben12:

Cut your coat according to your size. With N45,000 a month you can still live a quality live and plan for higher grounds:

Housing - N12,500 per month (Decent 1 Bedroom Flat in Ikorodu, Owode, Berger, Akuwonjo etc)
Feeding - N15,000 per month (Take lunch to work from home. This is just you and your wife)
Transportation - N4,000 per month
Clothing - N5,000 (Save this for 2 months and do clothing shopping every 2 or 3 months)
Wife up keep - N5,000 per month
Others - N3,000
Savings - N5,500 (This will increase when your income increases)

Easy to do. Just get use to this routine. When you get married, your wife may bring in some money too. Before she gets a job, make sure that you give her the feeding money monthly.

Hope this helps

It's MORE than possible, cos I know not 1, not 2, not 3 people who do it!
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Dandas: 5:35pm On Aug 22, 2011
Note this down:
It WILL NOT if; Ur wife is not working and u re staying in high cost area like:Ikoyi,vi,lekki-ajah,Ikeja GRA,Festac town,Abuja or Ph.The salary cannot even pay for one quarter a year accomodation in any of these places even if its one room.Believe it or not it WONT.Unless u re staying in a low cost area,then u can manage but still very difficult as far as ur wife is not working.Truly nothing affects a man financially like ur wife is not working and everything depends on you especially wen u re not earning higher salary or have not attained financial stability.It is better if ur wife is doing something or u have another source of income if u ever want to get financial freedom in life and avoid stress.Please take this piece of advice seriously for i know wat i m telling you.
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by titsqueez(m): 5:38pm On Aug 22, 2011
na wao and some people are on 900,000 naira per month in same naija
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by demla: 5:43pm On Aug 22, 2011
my friend pple dat earn less than dat live happily,pple dat sells pants ,handtowels etc have wife at home and live their lives. so pls just be careful and make sure u really understand who ur wife to be is b4 jumping into it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by yusuf2(m): 5:45pm On Aug 22, 2011
OP, no long story, except u live in the village and already have ur own house, don't let anybody deceive u, 45,000 IS NOT ENOUGH TO START A FAMILY IN NIGERIA OF TODAY !!!
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Elpieda: 5:55pm On Aug 22, 2011
Is your wife working? Do you already have an apartment? If so, How much is your rent or have you put the required upfront payment? If not where do you live at the moment? How much is your electric bill if you pay that?

Create a honest budget for yourself and your wife and attach figures to it. Some people have helped you to break that down. I believe so much in creating a budget and monitoring you income and expenses judiciously. Thats what I always do since am an accountant.

If your wife is working that helps a great deal as you will both be able to combine your income and determine your expenses. Here is a guide I developed to help you breakdown your income into what is really necessary. You can tweak it however you want based on your scale of preference.

Amount                                               Amount
INCOME                                                                  N                                                        N
Husband's Monthly Pay  
Wife's        Monthly Pay
Combined Total Income (A)

EXPENSES (Fixed Payments)
Housing
Electricity and Water (Utilities)
Car Insurance- If any  
Phone Bill( recharge cards)  
Transportation
Tithes (If any)  

Combined Total Expenses (B)

Income left over (A-B)

Savings and Investment

Income after Savings (D)

Dining- Eating Out/Date Night
Entertainment- Movies (silverbird cinema etc)  
Groceries- Food  
Groceries- Personal Items (toiletries, lotion, etc)
Shopping- Clothes, shoes, accessories  
Home improvement- décor, kitchen stuff, etc  
Miscellaneous- mani and pedi, hair maintenance, car accessories, car wash, books, etc  

Income after budgeted monthly spendings (E)

Net Income (Left Over D-E)

Anything is possible,  Yeah its good to have a good source of income but then we still have people who marry rich but then go through some kind of financial breakdown and go back to square one. If you have a prudent wife then i think you are cool.

1 Like

Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 22, 2011
O'boy, u can but ur orientation and street sense must be thick for u to control ur home if madam comes in, cos women love comfort. All d same, i advise ur wife to be should be working and earning no matter how small. If u dont have any of d above then chill till u earn well, or ur fiancee working, or step up ur orientation. All d best.
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by teskyg: 5:59pm On Aug 22, 2011
No try am oh.U want to add to the list of people living in below the poverty line, Na abject poverty you wan taste.Walahi.U go die standing.
Re: Is My Salary Enough To Get Married? (N45,000) by babaijesha: 6:15pm On Aug 22, 2011
salinson:

Yes. Cut your cloth according to your size in all your dealings and move on with your life. Things will improve with hard work; patience;careful planning and prayer. You dont have to wait till w you are 50 yrs old just b/c you are earning N45,000.00. Backyard livestock farming like goats;rams;chickens;rabbits are proven survival strategies that can be managed by your wife to increase your income with time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My 2-Year-Old Son Is Mean :( / Beware Of Craddle Robbers / Is Writing A Will Really Advantageous To Your Children ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.