Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,847 members, 7,813,860 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

With The Recent Layoffs In Tech Worldwide, As A Beginner I'm Currently Depressed - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / With The Recent Layoffs In Tech Worldwide, As A Beginner I'm Currently Depressed (2198 Views)

What Have You Learned From The Recent Layoffs? / Most Of The Global Layoffs Have Been In Tech / With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With The Recent Layoffs In Tech Worldwide, As A Beginner I'm Currently Depressed by daddynasa: 8:53pm On Nov 08, 2022
If you understood the tech market you wouldn’t be bothered. I am actually starting a new position here in the UK in few weeks. There are dev shortages around the world. Make una leave FANNG alone oo startups dey find who dem wan pay better money dem no see. One thing is certain, those laid off will secure new offers in few weeks or months.

One more thing you should know is that tech coys now prefer to pay 5 Africa based devs 2k usd each per month than pay 1 US based dev 8k a month.

1 Like

Re: With The Recent Layoffs In Tech Worldwide, As A Beginner I'm Currently Depressed by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 3:13am On Nov 09, 2022
Devdevdev:
I started my programming journey two months ago. I've been working harder than I've ever worked in my life. I've spent endless hours pouring through codes while denying myself of all the fun and interesting things I usually do. The goal was to know enough to start applying for remote jobs.

But with the recent tech layoffs, I feel like there is almost no hope for beginners like me cos I will be competing in a job market flooded with experienced, highly skilled FAANG level programmers who just got laid off. What company will hire me when they can hire a genius who has mastered 5 languages and can solve leetcode problems like it's child's play?

I chose the worst time to begin this journey and now I'm very depressed. I haven't even opened my laptop today..
Highly skilled programmers work on highly skilled stuff. You don't employ a professor of English to teach your nursery kid English language– That's waste of resources. There will always be openings for beginners. Serious companies won't be thinking of paying the higher pay ranges of the highly skilled experts when the job can equally be done by whom they have to pay less.
Re: With The Recent Layoffs In Tech Worldwide, As A Beginner I'm Currently Depressed by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:56pm On Jan 14, 2023
Karleb:
Dem sack people for US, you wey dey benue state wan chop ota pia pia.

Sorry this is funny grin
Re: With The Recent Layoffs In Tech Worldwide, As A Beginner I'm Currently Depressed by Nwaotu10(m): 11:44am On Jan 15, 2023
LikeAking:
Worrying over nothing...

It's not all about getting jobs, make ya self a beta man..

Learn ya craft very well...

U can code plugins.

Build components for sale

Build ya own site for services, etc

Write books or create tutorials

Have your own Chanel for teaching.

Have ur own web dev comp

Etc

So calm down..

Even if people loose jobs, it's not a biggie.

@op.......Incase you want to go with second to the last option, I'm a video editor and a cinematographer with unprecedented mastery of the skill. I can help shoot and edit your channel videos. wink

1 Like

Re: With The Recent Layoffs In Tech Worldwide, As A Beginner I'm Currently Depressed by Najdorf: 11:59am On Jan 15, 2023
Tech is still growing. From what I understand these layoffs are from overhiring that happened during the pandemic/post-pandemic
Re: With The Recent Layoffs In Tech Worldwide, As A Beginner I'm Currently Depressed by LikeAking: 2:10pm On Jan 15, 2023
Nwaotu10:

@op.......Incase you want to go with second to the last option, I'm a video editor and a cinematographer with unprecedented mastery of the skill. I can help shoot and edit your channel videos. wink

Ok
Re: With The Recent Layoffs In Tech Worldwide, As A Beginner I'm Currently Depressed by ekehopp2: 8:49am On Apr 16
Are Nigeria companies insulated from the layoff wave?
I would think we're losing our best brains to japa and not them crying about layoffs?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Your Advice For A Beginner Database Administrator? / A Full-time Full-stack Developer Wanted In Ikeja / Another Programming Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.