Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,172 members, 7,811,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? (19655 Views)

Reasons Behind The Recent Tech Layoffs And How It's Affecting Majority Of People / What Have You Learned From The Recent Layoffs? / With The Recent Layoffs In Tech Worldwide, As A Beginner I'm Currently Depressed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Hannania(m): 1:27pm On Nov 04, 2022
Twitter and stripe lay off approximately 50% and 14% of staff today respectively. More firms plan to do so in the coming months(foreseeable recession).

How do you feel at your workplace?

What's the situation there?

6 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:33pm On Nov 04, 2022
I actually wanted to make a thread on this today and advice newbies finding it hard to get jobs to not give up.

We are an agency and not a product based company so I can't really say how this will affect us yet. As for work I work more hours and work weekends to make myself more valuable to the company i work for. I have been doing this for the past three months now and got a raise. Monday through to Sunday at least 10 hours daily.

I would say if you have a job put in extra hours. Justify your position and your pay. For those looking, don't be discouraged. Booms and bust are part of life. It's why you need to build reserve and avoid lifestyle inflation when the money hits.

It's not easy and it's not even December yet.

My only problem with this layoffs and hiring freezes is that they will make remote roles very difficult for Africans to get. There's very few remote roles available now compared to when I started in 2020.

93 Likes 6 Shares

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Hannania(m): 1:39pm On Nov 04, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
I actually wanted to make a thread on this today and advice newbies finding it hard to get jobs to not give up.

We are an agency and not a product based company so I can't really say how this will affect us yet. As for work I work more hours and work weekends to make myself more valuable to the company i work for. I have been doing this for the past three months now and got a raise. Monday through to Sunday at least 10 hours daily.

I would say if you have a job put in extra hours. Justify your position and your pay. For those looking, don't be discouraged. Booms and bust are part of life. It's why you need to build reserve and avoid lifestyle inflation when the money hits.

My only problem with these layoffs and hiring freezes is that they will make remote roles very difficult for Africans to get. There are very few remote roles available now compared to when I started in 2020.
This is spot on. On the other side, some European firms are outsourcing their open roles to skilled developing countries to reduce costs.

It's a difficult market, and I sense a change in hearty paychecks for developers. The market might never be the same again.

I just picked that extra hours point you made...thats a Gel�

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by TastyFriedPussy: 2:01pm On Nov 04, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

My only problem with this layoffs and hiring freezes is that they will make remote roles very difficult for Africans to get. There's very few remote roles available now compared to when I started in 2020.
Lolzzz tongue you work extra hours, earning in dolz remotely, but you can't afford a proper desk setup, Na plastic chair you still dey use grin all those white chair wey dey make person dey pray make church close fas fas , Na him you dey use cheesy tongue with the way you use to sound and what you've been preaching in your previous post's, one would think you'd be using sophisticated gears for work and living soft life tongue but Na plastic chair, plastic chair of all chairs in the world, Na him you still dey use. tongue

12 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:07pm On Nov 04, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
Lolzzz tongue you work extra hours, earning in dolz remotely, but you can't afford a proper desk setup, Na plastic chair you still dey use grin all those white chair wey dey make person dey pray make church close fas fas , Na him you dey use cheesy tongue with the way you use to sound and what you've been preaching in your previous post's, one would think you'd be using sophisticated gears for work and living soft life tongue but Na plastic chair, plastic chair of all chairs in the world, Na him you still dey use. tongue
Yes o not just a plastic chair. I live in a very shit ghetto in a downtrodden part of town. Lifestyle inflation is the greatest enemy of a hustling man

133 Likes 2 Shares

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by SavageBoy: 2:08pm On Nov 04, 2022
The layoffs and job cut in tech now is crazy.

Imagine both newbies and professional SWE, some of who already have FAANG experience competing for job roles. Mehn! it's gonna be crazy.

Tensa advice is spot on. God will help us in this tech thing.

3 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Hannania(m): 2:28pm On Nov 04, 2022
SavageBoy:
The layoffs and job cut in tech now is crazy.

Imagine both newbies and professional SWE, some of who already have FAANG experience competing for job roles. Mehn! it's gonna be crazy.

Tensa advice is spot on. God will help us in this tech thing.
There are always openings . This is the time to invest on leverage. Networking to the core if one is really intentional.

6 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by qtguru(m): 3:06pm On Nov 04, 2022
The freelance market is always a buffer till you get a full-time job.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Kvngfrosh(m): 3:36pm On Nov 04, 2022
Hannania:
There are always openings . This is the time to invest on leverage. Networking to the core if one is really intentional.
Bro, networking is not an easy task especially to programmers.A lot of us are introverts/ambiverts

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by SavageBoy: 4:04pm On Nov 04, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

So, like this like this now, you're among the top rated employees in your agency?gringrin

2 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:04pm On Nov 04, 2022
SavageBoy:

So, like this like this now, you're among the top rated employees in your agency?gringrin

The thing shock me o. Me wey no sabi shishi grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Hannania(m): 4:43pm On Nov 04, 2022
Kvngfrosh:
Bro, networking is not an easy task especially to programmers.A lot of us are introverts/ambiverts
When necessity hits, it's a must. That's why only around 5% of programmers turns out to be engineering managers, Directors and eventual CEO.

2 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by qtguru(m): 4:56pm On Nov 04, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Cheaper to pay you than a 401k, Dollar inflation helps you too

2 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Tobedated(m): 5:00pm On Nov 04, 2022
The thing is scary and discouraging especially for us that is still learning

i mean between seasoned dev and newcomer the choice for who to hire is pretty clear

And here i was planning to take my time learning, i even planned on taking a free computer science course online that will take me 2years to complete if i'm serious. so as to make myself irresistable
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by qtguru(m): 5:15pm On Nov 04, 2022
Tobedated:
The thing is scary and discouraging especially for us that is still learning

i mean between seasoned dev and newcomer the choice for who to hire is pretty clear

And here i was planning to take my time learning, i even planned on taking a free computer science course online that will take me 2years to complete if i'm serious. so as to make myself irresistable

That's life, that shouldn't deter you, it should drive you to upgrade your knowledge. If you study for 3 months, 4 hours daily, you can acquire a lot. 4 hours is not a lot.

My colleague is American, he earns way more than me, but I do most of the job, he codes too but na me dey fix most of the bugs because of experience. Sometimes it's luck also, sometimes life is not fair.

Keep studying

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by airsaylongcome: 5:43pm On Nov 04, 2022
Many folks that beef on Nigerian "tech bros" as being proud cos they earn in dollars are actually happy to see the layoffs. I would say future proof yourself. Learn a combination of niche skills (not necessarily in programming) so you can easily switch and adapt if the need arises

17 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by HeliumStar: 5:43pm On Nov 04, 2022

11 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by SuperWriter(f): 5:48pm On Nov 04, 2022
cry cry

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Hannania(m): 6:10pm On Nov 04, 2022
airsaylongcome:
Many folks that beef on Nigerian "tech bros" as being proud cos they earn in dollars are actually happy to see the layoffs. I would say future-proof yourself. Learn a combination of niche skills (not necessarily in programming) so you can easily switch and adapt if the need arises
This is profound. May I suggest you give suggestions on those "Future proof" niches from your experience? That will help anyone who comes across the thread.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by tosinhtml: 6:58pm On Nov 04, 2022
qtguru:

My colleague is American, he earns way more than me, but I do most of the job, he codes too but na me dey fix most of the bugs because of experience. Sometimes it's luck also, sometimes life is not fair.

He is based in the US abi? Cost of living is a lot nau. He could also be managing with his income, not sure he is having fun like you think.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by tosinhtml: 6:59pm On Nov 04, 2022
Hannania:
Twitter and stripe lay off approximately 50% and 14% of staff today respectively. More firms plan to do so in the coming months(foreseeable recession).

How do you feel at your workplace?

What's the situation there?

Are you Nigeria? If yes, you have nothing to worry about o. It won't affect you. If you work for an agency, It won't affect you as well.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by tosinhtml: 7:03pm On Nov 04, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Loool, that's not how it works oh. The agency is seeing you as an asset because 1. You have made a lot of cash for them by splitting your income with them. 2. You have proved yourself in the current company 3. If you lose your job today, you'll be the first in line to suggest for another company. Tech with agencies is the best because they do the hard work for you, yours is to represent them in a good light.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by qtguru(m): 7:13pm On Nov 04, 2022
tosinhtml:

He is based in the US abi? Cost of living is a lot nau. He could also be managing with his income, not sure he is having fun like you think.

He stays in a cheap location, you know places like Atlanta, is way cheaper than the likes of New York and California.

But you're right sha

1 Like

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Hannania(m): 7:14pm On Nov 04, 2022
tosinhtml:

Are you in Nigeria? If yes, you have nothing to worry about o. It won't affect you. If you work for an agency, It won't affect you as well.
It affects everything bro. It's a global thing. Nigerian startups have begun doing the same. Kenyan and Ugandan startups have had the worst hit so far
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by tosinhtml: 7:18pm On Nov 04, 2022
Hannania:
It affects everything bro. It's a global thing. Nigerian startups have begun doing the same. Kenyan and Ugandan startups have had the worst hit so far

Oh really? Can you point me to the Nigerian companies firing? Because right now people are looking for Developers in Lagos and cannot even find. Bank developers have all left for Canada.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Hannania(m): 7:21pm On Nov 04, 2022
tosinhtml:

Oh really? Can you point me to the Nigerian companies firing? Because right now people are looking for Developers in Lagos and cannot even find. Bank developers have all left for Canada.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2022/09/02/nigerian-digital-bank-kuda-is-the-latest-african-startup-to-lay-off-employees/amp/

"especially among startups that have raised vast sums of venture capital within the last year or two; for instance, Swvl laid off 400; Wave, approximately 300; 54gene, 95; and Vezeeta, 50."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by airsaylongcome: 7:28pm On Nov 04, 2022
Hannania:
This is profound. May I suggest you give suggestions on those "Future proof" niches from your experience? That will help anyone who comes across the thread.

Thanks.

I can't really say. Most people here are webdev or programming folks. So it's kind of hard advising on that as I'm not into Dev. I'm into Telephony and Unified communications. With a lot of roles migrating to Hybrid or outright remote roles, a lot of businesses are looking to have communications solutions to support hybrid/remote work. So I'm positioned in that space, learning the technologies that support Telephony and video conferences. Despite a slow down in other tech areas, Unified Communications is still seeing increased demand. My employers sef are looking to hire a few more hands (although I hear is restricted to US remote)

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Hannania(m): 7:46pm On Nov 04, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I can't really say. Most people here are webdev or programming folks. So it's kind of hard advising on that as I'm not into Dev. I'm into Telephony and Unified communications. With a lot of roles migrating to Hybrid or outright remote roles, a lot of businesses are looking to have communications solutions to support hybrid/remote work. So I'm positioned in that space, learning the technologies that support Telephony and video conferences. Despite a slow down in other tech areas, Unified Communications is still seeing increased demand. My employers sef are looking to hire a few more hands (although I hear is restricted to US remote)
This advice is still solid. Not all millennials will survive after one year of Software dev. Such suggestions will give room for other options cheesy....
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Tobedated(m): 8:41pm On Nov 04, 2022
qtguru:

That's life, that shouldn't deter you, it should drive you to upgrade your knowledge. If you study for 3 months, 4 hours daily, you can acquire a lot. 4 hours is not a lot.

Keep studying

I do plan to keep learning.

As you said it's luck and at the same time one needs the skills for there to be luck in first place.

Though it keeps getting harder to learn each day
my laptop is starting to show it's age and the battery is completely run down
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by ChilamNk(m): 11:52pm On Nov 04, 2022
There might fluctuation , it will normalise with time. No one should loose hope.

I've been learning with my phone..
Meanwhile someone should suggest for me if laptop can serve me well for programming??

HP ProBook 645 G2 - 6th Gen. AMD A8 - 256GB SSD - 8GB RAM - 4GB Total Graphics - 0.5GB Dedicated

1 Like

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by bigdammyj: 11:13am On Nov 05, 2022
Reading...
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Administration1: 11:14am On Nov 05, 2022
FG cannot try anything like that sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can You Please Recommend A Digital Skill For Me? / Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming / Few Questions About Aptech Computer Institute???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.