Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,828 members, 7,810,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Inside The World Of Nigerian Women's Body-enhancing Surgeries - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Inside The World Of Nigerian Women's Body-enhancing Surgeries (190 Views)

Inside The New Tropicana Mall In Uyo (Photos) / Hubmart Omole: Inside The Hubmart Store Omole Branch (photos) / "Nigerian Women Now Leading In Pools Betting". See Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Inside The World Of Nigerian Women's Body-enhancing Surgeries by Shehuyinka: 12:34pm On Nov 06, 2022
THERE are a million and one reasons why a woman would want to resort to surgical procedures to enhance the beautification of her own body. These reasons include popular acceptance, self-esteem and sexual appeal.

For Taiwo, one thing is sure: she will do a liposuction surgery when she has had her fair share of childbearing. She stresses her shape is inviolable for now.

She says, “I will do liposuction, which is fat removal, after I’ve had my kids. I can only do this if I’ve tried working out and I’m still not comfortable with my tummy fat.”

Olamide Joyce is sold out on the trend, which she says attracts wide support.

“How come people tend to support people that did their bodies? See how Maria (Chike) became everyone’s favourite because she is light-skinned and beautiful,” Joyce quips.

A brief history

The rise of cosmetic surgery and body beautification can be traceable to the 6th century BC. There is a legend of Sushruta who is regarded as the father of plastic and cataract surgery. His legacies are plastic and cataract surgery.

Also in India, reconstructive surgeries were carried out as far back as 800 BC. Sir Harold Gillies is described as the father of modern plastic surgery who helped soldiers solve the issue of facial injuries during the first World War.

In Nigeria, cosmetic surgery gained news traction when a former first lady of Nigeria, Stella Obasanjo, reportedly died from complications arising from a tummy tuck procedure.

Before that, American-Nigerian philanthropist and entrepreneur Modupe Ozolua, in 2001 founded Body Enhancements Ltd, a cosmetic surgery company, one of the first of its kind in West Africa. She also tried to evangelise safe methods.

Ozolua, has now moved on to humanitarian efforts with Empower 54, providing free corrective surgery to children born with birth defects, as well as medical support to Boko Haram victims, doesn’t regret pioneering the cosmetic practice in Nigeria.

Double board-certified plastic surgeon Stanley Okoro, who runs a practice in the United States and Nigeria, agrees that cosmetic surgery is not a recent phenomenon.

“If you go back in time, women always dress well even till the time of the bible. They always tie girdles or corsets to make their waistline smaller so they can look attractive. So this is not new. Plus, when you look good, you feel good about yourself,” he said.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/inside-the-world-of-nigerian-women-and-body-enhancing-surgeries/

(1) (Reply)

Online Business That Pays Daily / How To Complete Your Building Project Faster In Ogun State / How To Earn Sweatcoin For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.