Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. (1387 Views)

Abia State University: Statement of Results cease to be valid from 1st Dec, 2023 / *NEW Form Of Hawking- Nigerians Never Fail To Amaze Me! / 17 Things That May Cease To Exist In 2030 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 10, 2022
I'm disappointed to say the least. Some parents just complain for Africa on something they have no iota of knowledge about.

A director in one of my schools called me and said one parent was complaining that the child no longer speaks diction, that who is the phonics teacher. I laughed and tried to explain what the problem is.

Now, when I first got there (two years ago), they were using the Ghanaian diction where they pronounce " chech" instead of the British diction which says /t͡ʃɜːt͡ʃ/ and sounds like " choach"

They say "woteh" ( Ghanaian) instead ofˈ/wɔːtə/ which sounds like " woetur" and "seh" instead of /sɜː/ which sounds like "soe". I wish I could record these pronunciations so you guys can hear the correct sounds.
So, I taught them the British diction and told them to stop using the Ghanaian diction as that is not the British pronunciation. Though switching to the right diction has been a bit challenging for them but so far they have been doing very well.

Now, because the parents no longer hear home-wek they are now complaining that the children are not doing diction. Meanwhile these parents don't know the difference between these two dictions and don't even know the right diction but are complaining the children are no longer using it.

I told her to the best of my knowledge, they are using the right diction and I can't start teaching them Ghanaian diction to please the parents. If they cant understand the British diction, then too bad, there's nothing I can do. And the director admitted that it's true, before I joined them a Ghanaian was their diction teacher.

Is it proper to let them continue using the Ghanaian diction or continue teaching British diction?

2 Likes

Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by joseandgreat: 11:44am On Nov 10, 2022
Please do all that you can to wean them off that Ghana diction. GOD will reward your effort.

Unique Eye Centre Ltd
Your number one wholesale and retail dealer in ophthalmic and medical equipment.
The authorized distributor in West Africa for Keeler, Grafton and Haag Streit UK, Topcon, Riechert, Lombart, Lightmed, Sonomed, SBH in USA, Heine Zeiss in Germany, Scanoptics in Australia, iCare in Finland and a host of others.
Call us today: 08056199070

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 10, 2022
joseandgreat:
Please do all that you can to wean them off that Ghana diction. GOD will reward your effort.

My dear, Ive done that and the children are beginning to pick, though it's been a huge struggle switching to the British diction but they are better off than when I joined them. All the parents want to hear is " wek" "benene" and those bad diction they are used to and the implication of this bad pronunciation is, when it's time for transcription they start transcribing the wrong thing because transcriptions are based on pronunciation and if the pronunciation is not correct it will defeat the whole purpose.

Another thing is the children are shy to use the right diction for fear of being mocked but I always encourage them to use it and damn whoever is mocking them. That is another aspect of the challenge I'm having.

Thanks for your contribution.
I appreciate.

5 Likes

Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by joseandgreat: 12:07pm On Nov 10, 2022
Blessedmercy8:

My dear, Ive done that and the children are beginning to pick though it's been a huge struggle picking the British diction but they are better off than when I joined them but all these parents want to hear is " wek" "benene" and those bad diction they are used to and the implicationbofbthis bad pronunciation is when it's time for transcription they start transcribing the wrong thing because transcriptions are based on pronunciation and if the pronunciation is not correct it will defeat the whole purpose.

Another thing is the children are shy to use the right diction for fear of being mocked but I always encourage them to use and damn whoever is mocking them. That is another aspect of the challenge I'm having.

I appreciate.

Well done, it is when I hear them pronounce "docter" and "hair" instead of "her" that really makes me wonder.

To help them overcome the fear of being mocked, acknowledge all the children that are doing well in front of the class.
Let them know that you are going to be doing that weekly, "bringing the best and consistent diction speakers out in front of the class" for a round of applause or some kind of reward in front of the whole class, trust me in no time, they will all want to belong, especially if the classmates they consider "popular" are part of these "diction group"
I trust you get what I mean?
Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by Ulunne777(f): 12:20pm On Nov 10, 2022
I also hope those kids are well versed in their native languages .
Orisirisi.
Diction indeed.
If your child grows up watching American movies,it should be easy for them.My son switches from Naija English to American English easily and finally to Igbo at home.

1 Like

Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by Nobody: 1:28pm On Nov 10, 2022
Ulunne777:
I also hope those kids are well versed in their native languages .
Orisirisi.

That's none of my business. It's the duty of their parents to teach them their native language.
Mine is to teach them the right diction in the English language. Not their native language.

4 Likes

Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by ObalendeCMS: 4:13pm On Nov 10, 2022
That’s how my aunt will be confusing her only four years old boy that it is “warrer” instead of “water.
Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by Gadafii: 4:55pm On Nov 10, 2022
Stupid post, so British diction is the proper one, while the Ghana own is wrong

Shame, same way they told us speaking our mother tongue in primary and secondary school was wrong and they tagged it “vernacular “
Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by Mercury12(m): 5:27pm On Nov 10, 2022
joseandgreat:
I don't know why I find this funny grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by Sucre6: 6:06pm On Nov 10, 2022
Blessedmercy8:

My dear, Ive done that and the children are beginning to pick, though it's been a huge struggle switching to the British diction but they are better off than when I joined them. All the parents want to hear is " wek" "benene" and those bad diction they are used to and the implication of this bad pronunciation is, when it's time for transcription they start transcribing the wrong thing because transcriptions are based on pronunciation and if the pronunciation is not correct it will defeat the whole purpose.

Another thing is the children are shy to use the right diction for fear of being mocked but I always encourage them to use it and damn whoever is mocking them. That is another aspect of the challenge I'm having.

I appreciate.

Weldon dear, u are doing wonderfully well, i don't fancy that their Ghanian English, it sounds funny to me, but if the school insist that you go back to statues quo, please do for the sake of your job. But those parents should be thanking you instead of complaining.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by Olachase(m): 6:42pm On Nov 10, 2022
@Op Where's ur school located at? we need to come and arrest all of you undecided undecided
Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by Flora2Sweet: 6:50pm On Nov 10, 2022
Ghana no dey speak the correct English...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by Akunatakasi(m): 6:52pm On Nov 10, 2022
Gadafii:

Shame, same way they told us speaking our mother tongue in primary and secondary school was wrong and they tagged it “vernacular “

Ever since you join nairaland .. you never contribute better thing... So so rubbish
Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by OloYeOfEgbE: 7:33pm On Nov 10, 2022
Ghana kwa...

I went to da horspeetar,I saw so much bled on da flair...

Werey Ghana English

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by wiseone28: 7:56pm On Nov 10, 2022
I hate that diction nonsense

The thing always sound somehow to my ear..

1 Share

Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by dominique(f): 8:25pm On Nov 10, 2022
I hate that phonics nonsense the schools are always forcing on the children. They're just mispronouncing words and they're calling it phonics.
Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by EbukaTheDrugLor: 10:12pm On Nov 10, 2022
"Wek" kor, twerk ni! Ghanaians can speak nonsense ehn grin
Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 11, 2022
dominique:
I hate that phonics nonsense the schools are always forcing on the children. They're just mispronouncing words and they're calling it phonics.

Why do you hate it? Besides phonics has nothing to do with pronunciations and again it depends on whos teaching them diction. If they have a sound diction instructor, you would love their pronunciation.

Phonics is important. Don't see it as a forceful thing because that is what helps children learn how to read easily. Diction/phonetics is equally good and helps pupils polish their diction; also makes them articulate. Even adults. So instead of saying shooghaa ( sugar) you say shoogur. Please,, leave them to learn diction, very good.
Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by dominique(f): 10:05am On Nov 12, 2022
Blessedmercy8:

Why do you hate it? Besides phonics has nothing to do with pronunciations and again it depends on whos teaching them diction. If they have a sound diction instructor, you would love their pronunciation.

Phonics is important. Don't see it as a forceful thing because that is what helps children learn how to read easily. Diction/phonetics is equally good and helps pupils polish their diction; also makes them articulate. Even adults. So instead of saying shooghaa ( sugar) you say shoogur. Please,, leave them to learn diction, very good.

It's the ridiculous accent and the mispronunciation of works for me. Work is work not werk. They're now making it look as if the right pronunciation is wrong

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 12, 2022
dominique:

It's the ridiculous accent and the mispronunciation of works for me. Work is work not werk. They're now making it look as if the right pronunciation is wrong

Oh.. I see what you mean now.
Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by joseandgreat: 3:32pm On Nov 15, 2022
Mercury12:
I don't know why I find this funny grin grin grin

My guy, try watch Ghanaian movie, you will understand.
You may not finish watching the movie.
Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by joseandgreat: 3:35pm On Nov 15, 2022
Gadafii:

Ghanaian English is not really Ghanaian English.
What is affecting the Ghanaian is their native accent.
The mother tongue is rubbing off on their English pronunciation of words.
And don`t forget, English is also a language (You get me?)
Re: Parents Will Never Cease To Amaze Me With Their Complaints. by joseandgreat: 3:38pm On Nov 15, 2022
OloYeOfEgbE:
Ghana kwa...

I went to da horspeetar,I saw so much bled on da flair...

Werey Ghana English

You know them well

(1) (Reply)

Can I Serve In The Military While Still In The University? / What Is The Most Expensive City In The World? / U.i And Unilag Form Msc(geology) I Need Info

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.