Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,015 members, 7,810,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar (26809 Views)

Naira Plunges To N1,900, Rebounds To N1,354 Then Dips To N1,700/$ / Naira Rebounds As Banks Offload Excess Dollars / Adamawa BDC Operators Reject Dollars As Naira Rebounds At Parallel Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by adioolayi(m): 4:24am On Nov 11, 2022
The naira has rebounded by 20.8 per cent to 720/dollar at the parallel market, findings by The PUNCH have shown.

The development came two weeks after the local currency came under severe pressure at the black market, following the announcement by the Federal Government to redesign the naira.

The naira which fell consistently throughout last week against the United States dollar tumbled to an all-time low of 910/dollar last weekend.

However, the currency began a rebound against the greenback on Monday, after a week-long clampdown on foreign exchange dealers in Abuja, Lagos, Kano and other major cities by the personnel of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

EFCC officials had arrested over 90 Bureau De Change operators across major cities in the country over allegations of currency hoarding and aiding politically exposed Nigerians and other criminal elements in money laundering.

The naira which was bought and sold on the streets of Lagos and Abuja between 735/dollar and 745/dollar about two weeks ago began a free fall shortly after the decision of the Federal Government to redesign the local currency.

On Monday, however, the naira rebounded and was bought and sold between 850/dollar and 860/dollar. The national currency gained significantly and steadily on Tuesday and Wednesday and closed at 720/dollar on Thursday.

Financial analysts and forex dealers who spoke to our correspondents attributed the development to market sentiment and the activities of the EFCC personnel.

The clampdown on forex dealers was said to have forced several BDCs into hiding, a move that reportedly made many politically exposed persons and currency speculators hold back in their demand for the greenback.

There had been a huge demand for the dollar at the parallel market in Lagos, Abuja and other cities.

Speaking with our correspondents on Thursday, a BDC operator at the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos, Mustafa Abdullahi, noted that he bought the local currency for 715/dollar and sold it for 720/dollar.

He said several BDCs had gone into hiding following the EFCC clampdown, adding that the demand for the greenback had dropped significantly.

“Many of our people have lost hundreds of millions of naira due to the fall. Many of them bought the dollar when it was over N800. Now the US currency has started falling and they are losing several millions. I personally lost millions of naira.”

Seriki Muhammed, another BDC operator at the Lagos airport, said he also bought the greenback for 717/dollar and sold it for 721/dollar on Tuesday.

Muhammed told our correspondent that some BDCs were licking their wounds because some had bought over $500,000 at about 820/dollar in anticipation of further loss in naira value.

“We are in a big trouble unless the dollar rises again. Many of our people bought so much dollar, hoping it would gain further,” he told one of our correspondents.

A currency dealer in Allen Avenue, Ikeja, Lagos, simply identified as Gambo Bello, said he was buying and selling the US currency for N715 and N720.
Abubakar Hamid, a BDC operator in Abuja, told one of our correspondents that he bought the US dollar for N716 and sold it for N719.

Also, Zakari Mohammed, a BDC operator in Lagos Island, told our correspondent he was buying and selling at N718/dollar and N722/dollar.

However, the President, Association of BDC Operators of Nigeria, Aminu Gwadabe, said market sentiment and the news of the naira redesign drove the market in the past two weeks.

He said the rebound of the naira had made many currency speculators lose millions of naira. According to him, many forex dealers did not know the naira would rebound too soon.

He said, “I can say the surveillance by the EFCC and other factors affected the market. However, I can say that some global factors also affected the market aside from the local issues in Nigeria. Don’t forget that countries like Saudi Arabia, Russia and China are taking some steps that are currently affecting the dominance of the dollar.

“But locally, I can say certain sentiments made the naira rebound and these have led many speculators to lose millions of naira. Many took a position at N800/dollar and now they are worried the currency is now N720/dollar. This was why there was some resistance in the market today with many BDCs not willing to sell their dollar at a lower amount. People who kept the greenback are now bringing it out because of certain market sentiments.”

The Chief Executive Officer of the Centre for the Promotion of Private Enterprise, Dr Muda Yusuf, noted that there had been a decline in the rush for dollars after the announcement of the naira re-designed.

According to him, this decline might have led to the rebound of the naira.

He said, “It is a very volatile situation. The immediate reaction to that pronouncement triggered some rush to convert to dollars. That round of reaction is already beginning to die down. That’s a possible factor. Once that initial rush has subsided, it is possible that the pressure on the dollar reduced.”

He also noted that the recent rumour about some expiring dollar bills might have contributed to the rebound of the naira.

However, Yusuf noted that there were still a lot of uncertainties and the situation was still volatile.

He also said that the recent arrest of some BDC operators likely did not add to the rebound.

Yusuf further noted that there was a possibility that a number of speculators were cautious and aware of the volatile situation, which might have prevented them from any losses.

He, however, said that sometimes one loses and sometimes one wins when speculating.

A development economist, Dr Aliyu Ilias, noted that the naira might likely still decline, especially with the coming election.

He also said that the economy had yet to be stable and the rebound might not last for long.

https://punchng.com/traders-lose-as-naira-rebounds-to-720-dollar/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by WibusJaga: 4:28am On Nov 11, 2022

Good Development.
The clampdown on dollar Black Market dealers should be sustained.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by adioolayi(m): 4:33am On Nov 11, 2022
Naira with a deep fall as if it will crash into #1000 to a $....

Speculators at the FX market are one of the major enemies of this country... although, one cannot blame them though..untill CBN is serious to have a single FX window...CBN should urgently close the huge gap between the official bank rates and the BDC rates.

In the meantime....the BDC and hoarders should begin to lick their wounds.

Emiefiele is winning this time and should try and sustain whatever is working right now.., possibly, the collaboration with EFCC on BDC clampdown

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by SALIMAN(m): 4:51am On Nov 11, 2022
Spectators expecting further loss are evil to the Country

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Peterobi90: 4:58am On Nov 11, 2022
The moment pictures of the new designed naira is released, dollar might get as low as 500..

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Penguin2: 5:04am On Nov 11, 2022
Where are the idiots who were arguing with me that the Naira redesign is useless?

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Nbote(m): 5:16am On Nov 11, 2022
adioolayi:
Naira with a deep fall as if it will crash into #1000 to a $....

Speculators at the FX market are one of the major enemies of this country... although, one cannot blame them though..untill CBN is serious to have a single FX window...CBN should urgently close the huge gap between the official bank rates and the BDC rates.

In the meantime....the BDC and hoarders should begin to lick their wounds.

Emiefiele is winning this time and should try and sustain whatever is working right now.., possibly, the collaboration with EFCC on BDC clampdown

It was all artificial and expected... The rise to over 800 was after the announcement by CBN of the new naira notes and eligibility of old ones. Those hoarding stashed cash flooded the forex market offering to buy at whatever rates possible. They'll rather buy up forex at a loss than deposit naira in the bank because they can stash dollars and pounds but not naira

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Nbote(m): 5:18am On Nov 11, 2022
Penguin2:
Where are the idiots who were arguing with me that the Naira redesign is useless?

Dollar was around the 700+ mark before the announcement of the new naira notes. The announcement drove up the price as politicians and their cronies stashing and hoarded naira flooded the market to buy up forex which was what drove up the price to over 800

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Kingspin(m): 5:18am On Nov 11, 2022
ManInflation

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Acidosis(m): 5:19am On Nov 11, 2022
Penguin2:

They are not f00ls. The Naira redesign is still useless to the FX market.

Forex exchange is not Ponzi scheme. A productive economy is the only way to achieve a sustainable Fx rate. There is NO other way.

So if nothing has happened to our productive capacity and earning power, any gain you see now at the street market is only a reaction to market uncertainties.

Moreover, we are approaching the Christmas era where Nigeria traditionally earn the highest remittances from Nigerians abroad.

Finally, the Naira has not gained at the official window yet so even that remittance thing is debatable. Any gain or loss you see now at the street market is part of the reaction to the uncertainty that surrounds the CBN announcement. It is not sustainable.

69 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by sonature1: 5:20am On Nov 11, 2022
All these things make it difficult to do business in this country. Even foreign investors will be scared to bring their businesses here. I cannot wait for May 29th to come.

Even though I feel that a cow will make a better president than Buhari, I don't see how Tinubu will be any better than the tall oldie. The only difference between Tinubu and Buhari is height.

52 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by adioolayi(m): 5:28am On Nov 11, 2022
Nbote:

It was all artificial and expected... The rise to over 800 was after the announcement by CBN of the new naira notes and eligibility of old ones. Those hoarding stashed cash flooded the forex market offering to buy at whatever rates possible. They'll rather buy up forex at a loss than deposit naira in the bank because they can stash dollars and pounds but not naira

You are very correct...

I don't understand much economies, but, using logic and commonsense...I will suggest CBN should intentionally back the new Naira note with very strict and stringent conditions towards enforcing cashless Economy....maybe this will prevent the foreign currency hoarders from re-buying the new Naira notes and hoard naira again.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Penguin2: 5:54am On Nov 11, 2022
Acidosis:

Forex exchange is not Ponzi scheme. A productive economy is the only way to achieve a sustainable Fx rate. There is NO other way.

So if nothing has happened to our productive capacity and earning power, any gain you see now at the street market is only a reaction to market uncertainties.

Moreover, we are approaching the Christmas era where Nigeria traditionally earn the highest remittances from Nigerians abroad.

Finally, the Naira has not gained at the official window yet so even that remittance thing is debatable. Any gain or loss you see now at the street market is part of the reaction to the uncertainty that surrounds the CBN announcement. It is not sustainable.

Your point is clear and understood.

Until Nigeria increases its production capacity which will increase its export volume and consequently increase the FX it earns, the problem of dollar exchanging at exorbitant rates against the naira will not be solved.

But there’s a factor you are overlooking which is what CBN is trying to tackle. That factor is maliciousness of some people and FX marketers who either hoard the dollar or engage in the sabotage that further increases the stress on the naira.

Or are you going to rule that out?

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by sonofthunder: 5:59am On Nov 11, 2022
adioolayi:

You are very correct...

I don't understand much economies, but, using logic and commonsense...I will suggest CBN should intentionally back the new Naira note with very strict and stringent conditions towards enforcing cashless Economy....maybe this will prevent the foreign currency hoarders from re-buying the new Naira notes and hoard naira again.

I've thought about this but given our Nigerian standards, it's the common man that will suffer for this the most.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Penguin2: 6:00am On Nov 11, 2022
adioolayi:

You are very correct...

CBN said there’s about 3trillion Naira currently in circulation.

What I suggest they do is to now regulate the volume of the naira they put out after recalling the old Naira notes.

Let’s assume they are able to recall about 2.5trillion Naira, being the amount in 1000, 500 and 200 denominations, then they should release just about 1trillion Naira back into the economy as replacement.

That way, banks will not even have enough to service their branches before they talk of releasing billions to one politician alone.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Acidosis(m): 6:11am On Nov 11, 2022
Penguin2:

Your point is clear and understood.

Until Nigeria increases its production capacity which will increase its export volume and consequently increase the FX it earns, the problem of dollar exchanging at exorbitant rates against the naira will not be solved.

But there’s a factor you are overlooking which is what CBN is trying to tackle. That factor is maliciousness of some people and FX marketers who either hoard the dollar or engage in the sabotage that further increases the stress on the naira.

Or are you going to rule that out?

It's hard to see the connection between the current fx rate and the cbn announcement.

I believe the announcement, however, has addressed and still addressing the hoarding of Naira notes. People are now putting their monies into use either directly or through the banks (investments), rather than simply hoarding in the house or saving up in piggy banks.

14 Likes

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Mjshexy(f): 6:12am On Nov 11, 2022
I really hope it drops further sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Acidosis(m): 6:14am On Nov 11, 2022
Penguin2:

CBN said there’s about 3trillion Naira currently in circulation.

What I suggest they do is to now regulate the volume of the naira they put out after recalling the old Naira notes.

Let’s assume they are able to recall about 2.5trillion Naira, being the amount in 1000, 500 and 200 denominations, then they should release just about 1trillion Naira back into the economy as replacement.

That way, banks will not even have enough to service their branches before they talk of releasing billions to one politician alone.

So what purpose would the CBN want to achieve with this? A cashless economy, right?

India did the exact thing the CBN is trying to do now a few years back so we can use that as a case in point. The only success we saw was the growth in the number digital banks and fintechs.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by tamdun: 6:16am On Nov 11, 2022
Continue fooling yourself, u guys will come online and start giving us aboki exchange rate, na d govt I blame, thay have to ban BDC,
CBN 1 dollar =440 naira
BDC 1 dollar =900
Ur choice

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Yankee101: 6:17am On Nov 11, 2022
Good news
Let it recover
Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Yankee101: 6:20am On Nov 11, 2022
It’s likely to still decline

3 Likes

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Viscuz: 6:22am On Nov 11, 2022
tamdun:
Continue fooling yourself, u guys will come online and start giving us aboki exchange rate, na d govt I blame, thay have to ban BDC,
CBN 1 dollar =440 naira
BDC 1 dollar =900
Ur choice

Naira is now useless you can argue or blame any third party you like .

It is DEAD !!!

6 Likes

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Penguin2: 6:35am On Nov 11, 2022
Acidosis:

So what purpose would the CBN want to achieve with this? A cashless economy, right?

India did the exact thing the CBN is trying to do now a few years back so we can use that as a case in point. The only success we saw was the growth in the number digital banks and fintechs.

Nigeria already has loads of digital banks and fintechs.

If this policy succeeds in only helping them grow even more in their market shares, then so be it.

But there are other gains.

As the elections approach, politicians will be starved of cash for vote buying and other electoral malfeasance.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 11, 2022
Acidosis:

Very good but you know many useless think naira will gain without a productive economy. Most Nigerians are just too daft.

5 Likes

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Nobody: 6:41am On Nov 11, 2022
Mjshexy:
I really hope it drops further sad

Is that how it will drop? What's the rate as of this morning? It will keep declining until you have a strong economy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Mustiboy(m): 6:45am On Nov 11, 2022
It's a huge loss for me really. I was going to withdraw a sum of $2k last week at the rate of ₦860 but decided to keep it because I wanted to use it for something important in December.

It's not because I was hoping the Naira would crash even further. I just didn't want to waste the money as I had no need for it at the time.

Now that Dollar has crashed to 720, I've lost ₦280,000. But no shaking; anything to better the economy and lives of people around me is welcomed. I'm actually in for it.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Nobody: 6:46am On Nov 11, 2022
At the end, Nigeria has to earn more dollars.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by ALTERNATEID: 6:47am On Nov 11, 2022
All the unpatriotic elements must keep losing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Nobody: 6:51am On Nov 11, 2022
tamdun:
CBN 1 dollar =440 naira
BDC 1 dollar =900
Ur choice

So, where will CBN gets the dollar? Apply for the 100 USD at your bank and let me know if your bank gave it to you and how many weeks or months it was approved?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by MasterJayJay: 6:51am On Nov 11, 2022
SALIMAN:
Spectators expecting further loss are evil to the Country

ALTERNATEID:

But it was Jonathan fault when it was 216 naira. Now you are blaming spectators and unpatriotic elements.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Mjshexy(f): 6:52am On Nov 11, 2022
Ddworld:

Is that how it will drop? What's the rate as of this morning? It will keep declining until you have a strong economy
Lets just be hopeful that the right policies are put in place for a stronger naira, things have really gone out of hand and it's biting harder angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traders Lose As Naira Rebounds To 720/Dollar by Nobody: 6:56am On Nov 11, 2022
ALTERNATEID:

Blinded rats. Is this the issue of been unpatriotic or a weak economy? Nigeria is a goner if a primary student should think like yours. It is either you are extremely daft or just a born folly.

Did you know the rate as of this morning?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hair Entrepreneur, Kika Osunde Distributes £10,000 Across United Kingdom / Danfo Business-is It Worth Investing On? / CBN Reiterates Stance On FX Access, ‘status Quo Remains On 43 Non-eligible items

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.