Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,643 members, 7,823,826 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Dividing Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dividing Nigeria (548 Views)

Politicians Dividing Nigeria With Ethnicity – Northern Elders Forum / Kofoworola Bucknor: Tinubu Dividing Afenifere Over Presidential Ambition / Stop Dividing Nigeria, Says Olawepo-hashim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dividing Nigeria by finishmatter: 8:55pm On Nov 12, 2022
Claim:-
If Nigeria divides, the separating units will develop due to competition.

My Position:-
The above argument is very rife in Nigeria. But I have always questioned that logic.

Listen, I think Nigeria is technically divided.

You have north, south, west and east.
In fact, the country is further broken down into state eg. Lagos, Kaduna, etc.

In each of these state, we have governors and other leaders ( eg chairmen, and states assembly).

These leaders are indigenes of their various states. In other words, an ibo man is not a governor in the Kano, and vice- versa.

Infact, the country's structure is so apt that an Anambra man is d governor of Anambra state; an Edo man is the governor of Edo state, etc.

So, if we cannot achieve development while each state is being governed by its own indigene, then I doubt it can be achieved if the country is separated.

My thoughts

1 Like

Re: Dividing Nigeria by bushjeph: 9:03pm On Nov 12, 2022
I doubt you are grounded in government studies. The federal system of government we practice here is just vile and wicked. Your governors n senators dosent matter so far the President determine who gets what from the acclaimed national revenue and also control the police and army from abuja. Lets have a referendum pls

1 Like

Re: Dividing Nigeria by finishmatter: 9:20pm On Nov 12, 2022
bushjeph:
I doubt you are grounded in government studies. The federal system of government we practice here is just vile and wicked. Your governors n senators dosent matter so far the President determine who gets what from the acclaimed national revenue and also control the police and army from abuja. Lets have a referendum pls
But d federal government doesn't stop governor's from building roads, schools hospitals, creating jobs, etc .
Our governor's, and other state and LG actors have failed in their responsibilities.
Re: Dividing Nigeria by Freestainworld(m): 9:39pm On Nov 12, 2022
The whole politician's have failed us, right from the local government level to the federal level, and the failure keeps increasing daily.
Re: Dividing Nigeria by finishmatter: 9:48pm On Nov 12, 2022
Freestainworld:
The whole politician's have failed us, right from the local government level to the federal level, and the failure keeps increasing daily.

Exactly my point.

And we the people are not doing enough.
We are part of the problem cos we dont hold our leaders ( at d state level) accountable. We only focus on the federal government.

Note that there will always be politics even when we seperate.
Re: Dividing Nigeria by GodHatesJews: 9:54pm On Nov 12, 2022
finishmatter:
Claim:-
If Nigeria divides, the separating units will develop due to competition.

My Position:-
The above argument is very rife in Nigeria. But I have always questioned that logic.

Listen, I think Nigeria is technically divided.

You have north, south, west and east.
In fact, the country is further broken down into state eg. Lagos, Kaduna, etc.

In each of these state, we have governors and other leaders ( eg chairmen, and states assembly).

These leaders are indigenes of their various states. In other words, an ibo man is not a governor in the Kano, and vice- versa.

Infact, the country's structure is so apt that an Anambra man is d governor of Anambra state; an Edo man is the governor of Edo state, etc.

So, if we cannot achieve development while each state is being governed by its own indigene, then I doubt it can be achieved if the country is separated.

My thoughts

One nijeriya Igbo has spoken
Re: Dividing Nigeria by GodHatesJews: 9:56pm On Nov 12, 2022
finishmatter:

But d federal government doesn't stop governor's from building roads, schools hospitals, creating jobs, etc .
Our governor's, and other state and LG actors have failed in their responsibilities.

And how do you build those infrastructure when the FG has cornered all the wealth to itself ?

Will Abuja exist if the Niger Delta controlled her own resources ?

Think for once.

1 Like

Re: Dividing Nigeria by GodHatesJews: 10:02pm On Nov 12, 2022
finishmatter:

Exactly my point.

And we the people are not doing enough.
We are part of the problem cos we dont hold our leaders ( at d state level) accountable. We only focus on the federal government.

Note that there will always be politics even when we seperate.

As much as there is corruption by state and local govts , at the federal level of governance , it is exponential and mind boggling .

Aso Rock allocates billions to feed Buhari .

The Presidential Air Fleet that has become Buhari's personal uber spends billions to ferry him around in his usual junkets.

This is just a tip of waste at the centre.

When you then consider the huge sums wasted on moribund MDAs that only exist to reward cronies via appointments and contracts then you begin to see how bad things are.

You ought to call for the eradication of the wasteful, inefficient and corrupt centrist arrangement that benefits rent seekers and not attack states that have been reduced to beggars in a field of gold.
Re: Dividing Nigeria by finishmatter: 10:13pm On Nov 12, 2022
[quote author=GodHatesJews post=118342067]

As much as there is corruption by state and local govts , at the federal level of governance , it is exponential and mind boggling .

The Presidential Air Fleet that has become Buhari's personal uber spends billions to ferry him around in his usual junkets.

When you then consider the huge sums wasted on moribund MDAs that only exist to reward cronies via appointments and contracts then you begin to see how bad things are.

You ought to call for the eradication of the wasteful, inefficient and corrupt centrist arrangement that benefits rent seekers and not attack states that have been reduced to beggars in a field of gold.[/quote

I somewhat disagree.

The state government should first give value for the money in their disposal.

And I think we do ourselves no good if we undermine the massive corruption of our governors and failures.

Again, should Nigerian disintegrate, how do u intend to curb d corruption that will emerge?

Or do u think, disintegration will make us saints?
Re: Dividing Nigeria by finishmatter: 10:14pm On Nov 12, 2022
GodHatesJews:

You ought to call for the eradication of the wasteful, inefficient and corrupt centrist arrangement that benefits rent seekers and not attack states that have been reduced to beggars in a field of gold.

And I think we do ourselves no good if we undermine the massive corruption of our governors and failures.

Again, should Nigerian disintegrate, how do u intend to curb d corruption that will emerge?

Re: Dividing Nigeria by GodHatesJews: 10:22pm On Nov 12, 2022
finishmatter:

Easier said than done.

When the FG callously wastes funds and later devalues the naira how can the states be guided on any project ?

When same FG sits on the revenue sources of states , pilfers it and throes scraps to them how do you expect them to grow?

When the same FG under its exclusive list which it is seeking to expand with the Water Bill prevents states from harnessing their potential what do you expect governors to do ?

When the same FG blocks investment drive by not granting waivers or permits or guarantees into a state because the idiot in Aso Rock wants the refinery to be in Katsina and not in the oil producing state of Bayelsa.

Should I go on?

1 Like

Re: Dividing Nigeria by finishmatter: 10:24pm On Nov 12, 2022
GodHatesJews:

And how do you build those infrastructure when the FG has cornered all the wealth to itself ?

Will Abuja exist if the Niger Delta controlled her own resources ?

Think for once.

You are wrong bro. Just so you know the state government has money. Dont be deceived. And they have a duty to generate revenue internally and attract investment.

Besides dude, do you know that should the country divide, each region will be solely responsible for generating it's own revenue?
In order words, no more federal allocation.
Essentially, north, west and east will be broke since they don't have crude oil?.
Re: Dividing Nigeria by GodHatesJews: 10:32pm On Nov 12, 2022
finishmatter:

The system promotes parasitism .

A scenario where all the customs officials in Onne port are Abokis and those at Bama, Bornu are from the South can not be equitable.

A situation where all the NPA managers of respective ports in the south are from the landlocked north can not be fair.

If these positions were not profitable do you think you will see one Aboki in the south ?

Another pointer is just see how taxes and levies paid by southerners end up being utilized in the north .

FRSC will be harassing drivers in the south for not renewing their road permits and papers but in the north you will not see one FRSC officer on the road and hardly anyone renews their permits in the north.

Let's even look at petroleum pricing. The cost of fuel at the pump is not estimated from its landing cost at the oil tank farm but the cost of transporting fuel by road to the farthest northern fringes. Yes, you are paying for the fuel that gets to Adamu in Bornu.

Same thing applies for electricity cost where the rates are very low in the north with hardly any disconnections carried out when the bill is due and over due..

Your electricity tarrif is calculated to subsidized the northern consumer who barely pays his bill, has no prepaid meter and is never disconnected.

Should I go on?.
Re: Dividing Nigeria by GodHatesJews: 10:35pm On Nov 12, 2022
finishmatter:

You are wrong bro. Just so you know the state government has money. Dont be deceived. And they have a duty to generate revenue internally and attract investment.

Besides dude, do you know that should the country divide, each region will be solely responsible for generating it's own revenue?
In order words, no more federal allocation.
Essentially, north, west and east will be broke since they don't have crude oil?.

Speaking to a parasite

Are you an OSU ?
Re: Dividing Nigeria by finishmatter: 10:43pm On Nov 12, 2022
GodHatesJews:

Speaking to a parasite

Are you an OSU ?

Dude, you have no place in d plane of reasoning.

Sail along to ur crude enclave.
Re: Dividing Nigeria by GodHatesJews: 10:48pm On Nov 12, 2022
finishmatter:

Dude, you have no place in d plane of reasoning.

Sail along to ur crude enclave.

And you only provided your reasons why the parasitic system must remain because you selfishly and lazily want to continue leaching on other peoples taxes and resources.

I will gladly sail on after flushing you down the drain.

Parasitic cretin

1 Like

Re: Dividing Nigeria by finishmatter: 10:48pm On Nov 12, 2022
GodHatesJews:

A scenario where all the customs officials in Onne port are Abokis and those at Bama, Bornu are from the South can not be equitable.

A situation where all the NPA managers of respective ports in the south are from the landlocked north can not be fair.

If these positions were not profitable do you think you will see one Aboki in the south ?

Another pointer is just see how taxes and levies paid by southerners end up being utilized in the north .

FRSC will be harassing drivers in the south for not renewing their road permits and papers but in the north you will not see one FRSC officer on the road and hardly anyone renews their permits in the north.

Let's even look at petroleum pricing. The cost of fuel at the pump is not estimated from its landing cost at the oil tank farm but the cost of transporting fuel by road to the farthest northern fringes. Yes, you are paying for the fuel that gets to Adamu in Bornu.

Same thing applies for electricity cost where the rates are very low in the north with hardly any disconnections carried out when the bill is due and over due..

Your electricity tarrif is calculated to subsidized the northern consumer who barely pays his bill, has no prepaid meter and is never disconnected.

Should I go on?.

Now this is some conversation.

I take it one at a time.

Regarding electricity, I may disagree cos it's been privatized. So, if we pay pay more in d South, it's because d distribution companies over there are exploiting us.
Re: Dividing Nigeria by GodHatesJews: 10:50pm On Nov 12, 2022
finishmatter:

Now this is some conversation.

I take it one at a time.

Regarding electricity, I may disagree cos it's been privatized. So, if we pay pay more in d South, it's because d distribution companies over there are exploiting us.

No.

The FG has a regulatory pricing system that sets the rates for every DISCO.

The north pays next to nothing and most areas are captured under rural electrification scheme.
Re: Dividing Nigeria by GodHatesJews: 10:57pm On Nov 12, 2022
United in Debt

Oil remains the glue holding this country together but it can't go round under the parasitic wasteful system we practiced.

Restiveness in oil producing areas which led to the FG granting 13% derivative to oil producing states coupled with massive oil theft and corruption has left little to share among the FG and states.

To cushion this, the Buhari govt has been guaranteeing loans to non oil producing states. The FG also went on an uncontrolled borrowing spree that it is yet to relent.

Now just imagine a divided Nigeria with the cash goose Niger Delta gone for good. How will these non oil producing states repay their humongous reckless loans ?

This is the treason why no single non oil producing state will agree to the Niger Delta seceding.

Through debt , Buhari has united Nigeria in parasitism
Re: Dividing Nigeria by finishmatter: 10:59pm On Nov 12, 2022
GodHatesJews:

No.

The FG has a regulatory pricing system that sets the rates for every DISCO.

The north pays next to nothing and most areas are captured under rural electrification scheme.

Privatization of d power sector started during Obasanjo I think. Goodluck came in afterwards

So, I should hold Obasanjo and Goodluck accountable for the discrepancies ( if any) and not the north.

So, we can say that our past southern leaders failed us
Re: Dividing Nigeria by finishmatter: 11:08pm On Nov 12, 2022
GodHatesJews:

Should I go on?.

I know the North have issues with tribalism. But u must agree that we have had southern presidents who ought to have fought for the interests of the south or set the system right but failed.
They could have also employed Southerners in choice positions but failed.

So, I believe you should see where to pass d blame to.

Note: I am not advocating tribalism.
Re: Dividing Nigeria by GodHatesJews: 8:37am On Nov 13, 2022
finishmatter:

I know the North have issues with tribalism. But u must agree that we have had southern presidents who ought to have fought for the interests of the south or set the system right but failed.
They could have also employed Southerners in choice positions but failed.

So, I believe you should see where to pass d blame to.

Note: I am not advocating tribalism.

GEJ started the process but faced a gang up and was voted out.

GEJ only had the support of SS people in the NASS.

The Yoruba gave a half hearted support since most of their representatives were in the APC and Tinubu ordered them not to support the confab.

The rest were blatantly in opposition to restructuring.

As for Obasanjo, you don't expect someone with a career as a military officer and former HoS to want to devolve powers from a central authority . Obasanjo as a soldier believes in hegemonic authority and much of the crap recycled into the 1999 constitution was his own doing from the revisited 1979 military handed constitution.

In all fairness, only the SS is truly committed to restructuring but a gang up exist to prevent this with the Igbo playing the greatest opposition to it from among the south.

(1) (Reply)

Check Out Where Amaechi Was Better Than Wike / Tambuwal Loses Another Ally To Apc In Sokoto. / Monday Osunbor Has ‘stepped Aside’. We Will Deal With Anini On 25th Feb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.