Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign (35367 Views)

Binance, Others Face Billions In Fines By SEC Over Currency Manipulations / Naira Redesign: Bags Of Damaged Naira Notes Discovered (Video, Pictures) / Naira Redesign: Grains Prices Crash Days After Record Surge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Islie: 8:06am On Nov 13, 2022
Indications have emerged that politicians who stashed billions of Naira outside the banking system to prosecute the 2023 general election have moved against the planned reintroduction and redesign of Nigeria’s currency by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), THISDAY has learnt.These politicians, it was learnt, have mobilised the National Assembly to pass a resolution against the Naira redesign as several lawmakers may have stockpiled cash for the 2023 general election.

On October 26, 2022, CBN Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele, had announced the plan to redesign the Naira to control the money supply.The redesigned notes include N200, N500 and N1,000.According to the apex bank, new N200, N500, and N1,000 notes will go into circulation from December 15, while the current notes will cease to be legal tender by January 31, 2023.

THISDAY gathered that this monetary tool aimed at fighting corruption, checkmating money laundering, eliminating counterfeits, and ending the hoarding of the Naira by kidnappers and others, has thrown politicians who stashed billions of the Nigerian currency ahead of the 2023 general election into confusion.It is estimated that about 84 per cent of the N12.73 trillion in circulation is outside the banking system, precisely in the hands of corrupt politicians, kidnappers, traders and criminal elements.These elements, who do not bank their funds, are involved in money laundering and currency round-tripping using the black market as the alternative foreign exchange window.

Investigation revealed that many of the politicians who have perfected plans of rigging next year’s election through vote-buying and had stock-pilled the Naira in their houses, offices and other hidden places, have perfected plans to ambush this apex bank’s initiative, which has received accolades from President Muhammadu Buhari and financial and economic experts.

THISDAY gathered that these politicians who feared that they might not return billions of Naira into the banking system within the three months – November 2022 to January 2023 specified by the CBN without breaching the Money Laundering Act and attracting the attention of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), are mobilising some members of the National Assembly to pass a resolution against the Naira redesign.

Multiple sources close to the federal lawmakers told THISDAY last night that these politicians want the National Assembly to pass a resolution directing the CBN to shift the Naira redesign till after the 2023 general election.

These politicians are believed to have kept large amounts of cash in their houses and other hidden places and they believe that three months will be too short for them to return these funds to the banks without being indicted by the EFCC for money laundering and other related crimes,” one of the sources told THISDAY.To show that the policy has his firm backing, President Buhari had last Wednesday declared that there was no going back on the planned redesign of the bank notes and that three months was enough for Nigerians to deposit the current notes at the banks.

He had also vowed that politicians won’t be allowed to mobilise resources and thugs to intimidate voters in the 2023 general election. The president, who made this known recently in an interview in the United Kingdom after meeting with His Royal Majesty, King Charles III in Buckingham Palace, also said enough time had been given by the CBN for Nigerians to deposit the present naira notes at banks in exchange for the newly redesigned ones.“On this change of currency, there will be a lot of money but time has been given from October to December, three months is enough for whatever money you have, to get it changed through the legal system.

“So, I don’t know why people are complaining about it,” the president said.He also said the policy announced by the CBN Governor, Emefiele, has come to stay.“No going back,” Buhari said of the decision to redesign the three naira notes. “My aim is to make sure that Nigerians believe that we respect them as an administration.

“So, Nigerians should vote for whoever they like from whichever political party. Nobody will be allowed to mobilise resources and thugs to intimidate people in any constituency. That is what I want to go down in Nigerian history as a leader.”It will however require the strong backing of President Buhari for the CBN to resist any moves by federal lawmakers to truncate the deployment of this monetary tool.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2022/11/13/politicians-with-billions-in-cash-move-against-naira-redesign/

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by JASONjnr(m): 8:11am On Nov 13, 2022
Their oga pata pata weh go decline this CBN rule is the chief urchin himself......

His stacks of billions he stole from Lagos for his campaign will not have value.....Take it to the bank and you will have a case with the EFCC.

191 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Redomi(m): 8:13am On Nov 13, 2022
I'm hungry and I need job

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Macphenson: 8:14am On Nov 13, 2022
okoo
Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by 10mobile: 8:14am On Nov 13, 2022
It looks like Buhari is sincere about conducting a free and fair poll. Some of his moves makes it seem so. But, I can hardly trust a Fulani man until we finish our business and everyone goes home safely.

Plus, in the spirit of the new Nigeria that's knocking on our door, if you own or run a business, here is an opportunity to learn new secrets for landing loads of paying customers. It's as free as air and almost as important to your business. It's here☑️☑️☑️: https://docs.google.com/document/d/105qWxkO88w8TzuuS9C1-ElTOUPTC3UDFQqKWOr_Zzs4/edit?usp=drivesdk

171 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Septagon: 8:20am On Nov 13, 2022
Tunda fire that national assembly of thieves
I also suspect it will affect those two bullion vans that drove into one private compound in Lagos

Hadley Chase available

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Resourcesswift: 8:21am On Nov 13, 2022
End of the road...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by ouzo1(m): 8:24am On Nov 13, 2022
Dem no wan name names Dem just dey lay Blames. Yeye Country.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Passionnn: 8:26am On Nov 13, 2022
APC propaganda.
All those with stolen naira notes have since exchange them for the dollar or any other strong foreign currency like pounds and euro. the reason for the scarcity of dollars for foreign exchange
Can't you see that both Atiku and Tinubu and many other bought their delegates votes with dollars?

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Amuluonyenaego: 4:36pm On Nov 13, 2022
Their names should be mentioned, likes of tinubu, Dino Malaye and others Won’t like the redesigning policy.

7 Likes

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 13, 2022
This naira design is a big blow to most corrupt Nigerians that has stacked naira cash elsewhere

11 Likes

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Neduzze5(m): 4:37pm On Nov 13, 2022
Tinubu is definitely one of them.

This will affect him and his election bid badly.

However, when President Peter Obi is sworn in come May 2023, we will beg Irabiji people to take him as their king.

Or ask MC Oluomo to step down for him to take over as Agbero President.

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Highways: 4:37pm On Nov 13, 2022
Tinubu is going to be the hardest hit... Laundered drug money

27 Likes

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Kingspin(m): 4:37pm On Nov 13, 2022
Politicians will thief all the money for roads, cares and use them to buy elections.

We know them.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Ceenachi: 4:37pm On Nov 13, 2022
More reason why some politicians haven't started their campaign

We want to catch those criminals who are inflicting pain and hardship on us in the midst of abundance undecided

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by nony43(m): 4:37pm On Nov 13, 2022
Tinubu won’t like this naira redesign cos he has got Bullion vans filled with stock piles of cash.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by inforesource: 4:38pm On Nov 13, 2022
smiley let me hear from his mouth first.

1 Like

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Sholaco: 4:38pm On Nov 13, 2022
Stupid write up.. with BIVAS you can not rig anything come 2023

1 Like

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by GreaterFuture(m): 4:38pm On Nov 13, 2022
Lol

1 Like

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Starz825(m): 4:38pm On Nov 13, 2022
This is sure to happen....

I knew politicians will fight against it....

But Dem go fail

People don't realize the idea of redesigning the naira.....

People say all sort ...I just laff

Money wey dey circulation pass wetin dey money market.... people just dey keep the money for the reason best known to them ....
And Dem dey use the same hoarded naira to demand for dollar at ridiculous price rate...one of the reasons why the exchange rate dey high for black market

You see why Nigeria needs an overhaul ....

Even if we get better president...what about the rusty politicians in legislative, judicial arms of government who are fantastically corrupt...

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Ireportlive: 4:39pm On Nov 13, 2022
Buhari already said no going back

1 Like

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 13, 2022
In vain anyone shall fret against the Naira Redesign project. If we must have a society that's free of MUCH corruption, this is one of the few places to begin:

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Alexiiydon: 4:40pm On Nov 13, 2022
Abeg I get stashed billions under my roof na to go collect loan and use the old naira note pay sense no go kill me
Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Puremind1225: 4:40pm On Nov 13, 2022
People like tinubu come to mind

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Realguyman1(m): 4:40pm On Nov 13, 2022
Nigeria matter long
Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by oluseyiforjesus(m): 4:41pm On Nov 13, 2022
God will catch dem
Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by thundafire: 4:41pm On Nov 13, 2022
Even Abba kyari stacked cash will rot oh

11 Likes

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by brain54(m): 4:41pm On Nov 13, 2022
10mobile:
It looks like Buhari is sincere about conducting a free and fair poll. Some of his moves makes it seem so. But, I can hardly trust a Fulani man until we finish our business and everyone goes home safely.
Exactly what I wanted to type…

1 Like

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Sholaco: 4:41pm On Nov 13, 2022
JASONjnr:
Their oga pata pata weh go decline this CBN rule is the chief urchin himself......

His stacks of billions he stole from Lagos for his campaign will not have value.....Take it to the bank and you will have a case with the EFCC.
Igbo man with useless utterances. You all leave those looters in your region, Lagos state is your headache. Deny your tribe and die

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Elsueno: 4:41pm On Nov 13, 2022
grin

Abeg Buhari, do not disappoint me, If these Greedy corrupt people decide to play dis game, sign an excutive order...U get nothing to loose

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by Nursepepeye(f): 4:42pm On Nov 13, 2022
They should contact me, I will change the cash for them
Re: Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign by NwaNimo1(m): 4:42pm On Nov 13, 2022

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Femi Otedola Emerges Chairman Of First Bank / Vehicles Trapped At Nation’s Borders As Import Ban Begins / CBN Announces Price Verification System Portal (PVS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.