Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,832 members, 7,831,700 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply (4984 Views)

Akoko Edo Where You Can Have Stable Power Supply / Stable Power Supply Underway , Says Buhari / I Can Provide Stable Power In Eight Months - Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 24, 2011
I dont want to know if it's a blind or deaf person dat's n charge, i just want 24hrs power supply. Enough of dis junk propaganda.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by sokus(m): 11:57am On Aug 24, 2011
Lets be analytical with our replies rather than spewing rubbish because we have the opportunity to.Okonjo is a world class economist and is widely exposed to laws and processes that deal with international business contractual agreements.You saying Uncle Joe should make her the PM implies that you haven't been following the affairs of the economy closely.When Sanusi was churning out inconsistent policies after the other, even intervening in sectors not within his jurisdiction, no one raised any issue about he being the biblical Joseph.
Her being the coordinator is crucial because there is a strong correlation between energy, growth and development and from Jonathan's conduct, it is clear his mandate is the economy.Rather than joining the mob, please be silent if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute. angry
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Kobojunkie: 12:15pm On Aug 24, 2011
sokus:

Lets be analytical with our replies rather than spewing rubbish because we have the opportunity to[b].Okonjo is a world class economist and is widely exposed to laws and processes that deal with international business contractual agreements.[/b]You saying Uncle Joe should make her the PM implies that you haven't been following the affairs of the economy closely.When Sanusi was churning out inconsistent policies after the other, even intervening in sectors not within his jurisdiction, no one raised any issue about he being the biblical Joseph.
Her being the coordinator is crucial because there is a strong correlation between energy, growth and development and from Jonathan's conduct, it is clear his mandate is the economy.Rather than joining the mob, please be silent if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute. angry

see analytical thinking!!! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by philip0906(m): 12:30pm On Aug 24, 2011
valacious:

I dont want to know if it's a blind or deaf person dat's n charge, i just want 24hrs power supply. Enough of dis junk propaganda.
my broda i tire o. . .All we need is d bleeping light 24hrs of the day angry
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Kx: 12:38pm On Aug 24, 2011
I support GEJ on this move in that the road to the first female president is being cleared.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by WhyAWhy(m): 12:47pm On Aug 24, 2011
[size=18pt]I REALLY DON'T CARE HOW THIS IS DONE?!!! all we want is stable power!!! so critics should just shut their eyes to whether it's GEJ or Okonjo initiative,  All we want is result[/size]
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Fidelo726: 12:56pm On Aug 24, 2011
I guess who is put in a position of authority really is extremely important.
If we hope for anybody to do the job then we should expect anything.
As we are fast to comdemn, we should equally be fast to appreciate.
I believe that the road map towards attaining a greater megawatts of electricity is on course.
Goodluck Nigeria.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by yoxy: 1:13pm On Aug 24, 2011
Arms folded, lets wait and see. but seriously, they may get it right this time around.

Not expecting much from them but I still have hope in this country.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by MMM2(m): 1:20pm On Aug 24, 2011
anyhow how sha

just bring light
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Gbawe: 1:37pm On Aug 24, 2011
We should attempt , as much as possible, to shun sentiments and raise the relevant questions if we want enduring progress for Nigeria. When we practice virtually the same political system as the USA , has it not occured to us to ask why the PDP federal Government , over the past 12 years, does not find it expedient to also copy other aspect of what America does that makes it the nation it is today?

Can we not ask why States should not devise , totally independently, their own power solution and have their own police force as is seen in America? Is it not even more important , considering our issue of crippling and wantonly destructive corruption the current Government is ignoring, that the FG must urgently err on the side of whatever  decreases Govenrment involvement , and increase competent private sector involvement, in the power sector ? Why perpetuate the involvement of the "home of corruption" NNPC in the search for a solution to the poor performance of our refineries when , if we are not into self deciet, energy and effort should focus on getting the best Private Companies to bid for the transparent takeover and effective running of our refienries?

Lagos , for example, would have no difficulty attracting top power sector players in a fully deregulated power sector so I personally don't see how this Government Parastatal will secure investor confidence better than a PPP plan the States themselves can enter into directly with private Power sector experts.

The Nigerian Govenrment only enjoys copying initiatives that enables it to deepen profligacy and secure perpetual involvement of government in "juicy" sector it has consistently failed at yet will not let go of. When we shun inevitable and badly reguired brave fundamental reform and we fail to depart from deleterious practices of the past why do we hope things will be different because another Government parastatal is inaugurated ?

I certainly hope this current jamboree is fruitful but it would be sad if we are back in 4 years singing the same sad song because , for obvious reasons of "business as usual" , the Cart was put ahead of the Horse.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by EkoIle1: 1:50pm On Aug 24, 2011
This single act alone just nailed us back to square one. Nigeria is realy a funny animal with dangerouly cruel, clueless and incompetent people. This is the government road block and red tape, the new corrupt government agency with authority to guarantee and pay for or waste our money on a broken sytem the government created and continue  create.

The question is,  Why are they reinserting themselves into what they really should be getting out of? Obviously, there is too much money tied to the power sector, the same money these corrupt people are not ready to give up. With billions of budgeted dollars every year, the power sector remains the most lucrative avenue of corruption for these corrupt people and I'm really not suppriced they are setting up another supper agency to protect their corruption pipeline.

Our federal government is to corrupt and  incompetent to make anything work in Nigeria. They have zero business in the utility sector, their only foot print should be one single unit within the existing trade or commerce ministry regulating the sector, not the tons of agency duplicating themselves and acting as stumbling blocks to our national development.

When we see states like Lagos with serious plans on the table and the way they've built 2 IPPs within months to guarantee steady power supply to hospitals and government institutions with dedicated underground cables,  It shows what serious Nigerians are capable of doing, unfortunately, our own federal government is the enemy standing in our way and keeping us in darkness and with this new and duplicating irrelevant government agency, they just opined to us that we are going to remain in darkness.

Until these corrupt and incompetent people wash their hands off and let go the power sector
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Justcash(m): 3:06pm On Aug 24, 2011
Eko Ile:

This single act alone just nailed us back to square one. Nigeria is realy a funny animal with dangerouly cruel, clueless and incompetent people. This is the government road block and red tape, the new corrupt government agency with authority to guarantee and pay for or waste our money on a broken sytem the government created and continue  create.

The question is,  Why are they reinserting themselves into what they really should be getting out of? Obviously, there is too much money tied to the power sector, the same money these corrupt people are not ready to give up. With billions of budgeted dollars every year, the power sector remains the most lucrative avenue of corruption for these corrupt people and I'm really not suppriced they are setting up another supper agency to protect their corruption pipeline.

Our federal government is to corrupt and  incompetent to make anything work in Nigeria. They have zero business in the utility sector, their only foot print should be one single unit within the existing trade or commerce ministry regulating the sector, not the tons of agency duplicating themselves and acting as stumbling blocks to our national development.

When we see states like Lagos with serious plans on the table and the way they've built 2 IPPs within months to guarantee steady power supply to hospitals and government institutions with dedicated underground cables,  It shows what serious Nigerians are capable of doing, unfortunately, our own federal government is the enemy standing in our way and keeping us in darkness and with this new and duplicating irrelevant government agency, they just opined to us that we are going to remain in darkness.

Until these corrupt and incompetent people wash their hands off and let go the power sector

What are you complaining about when they have just been inaugurated? You need to Wait and see if they will fail first before pouring out your anger at them.
How long did it take Fahola to build the IPPs? Did he do it overnight? Why not give these people some space to do what they want to do first?

Even if GEJ had done it the way Fashola is doing it, you will still complain because the person doing it is not Fashola. SMH
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by albertlags: 3:44pm On Aug 24, 2011
Hope dis aint anoda vision 2020? A Vote me in 2015 so i can complete my Power project plan, we r watching, angry
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by EkoIle1: 3:51pm On Aug 24, 2011
What's you misguided and irrelevant rubbish got to do with anything?  What ever this irrelevant new agency was created for has nothing to do with power generation or transmission, it's basically saying we have government money to give away to any player with any filed claim of business related loss. Business is a game of win or lose and when businesses win, do they pay their win to the government or the tax payers? No they don't.

This pointless policy stands only to assure and give our money to worthless entities resolvable for putting us in darkness, not to generate and transmit 1 extra MW of power. Why is it so hard for the government to get out and let the states work our their own deal and destiny. Must they be responsible for power generation and transmission in Nigeria?

Private entities know how to invest, operate and make profit, we don't need the government standing at the gate with new red tapes and our money to guarantee failure by crooked and incompetent people. Where is the incentive to do good and deliver when taxpayers money is waiting for you to collect? There is risk in everything we do in life, even the gala seller is not immune to risk, so who is guaranteeing his risk?

About Fashola. Obviously, you are too gullible to see beyond your nose. He built 2 IPPs not overnight, but within 2 years and not in decades with 30 billion dollars and still continued darkness.  Too bad he didnt have the 30 billion dollars to electrify the whole of Nigeria like these incompetent and corrupt people.

This new gimmick is only telling some people that government money is available to reward them for failure.

Btw, the new power policy he unveiled was to deregulate and get the government out of the power sector right? So why are they staking a whole new agency to keep the in the game for good with our money to give away?
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Justcash(m): 4:01pm On Aug 24, 2011
Eko Ile:

What's you misguided and irrelevant rubbish got to do with anything?  What ever this irrelevant new agency was created for has nothing to do with power generation or transmission, it's basically saying we have government money to give away to any player with any filed claim of business related loss. Business is a game of win or lose and when businesses win, do they pay their win to the government or the tax payers? No they don't.

This pointless policy stands only to assure and give our money to worthless entities resolvable for putting us in darkness, not to generate and transmit 1 extra MW of power.

Private entities know how to invest, operate and make profit, we don't need the government standing at the gate with new red tapes and our money to guarantee failure by crooked and incompetent people. Where is the incentive to do good and deliver when taxpayers money is waiting for you to collect? There is risk in everything we do in life, even the gala seller is not immune to risk, so who is guaranteeing his risk?

About Fashola. Obviously, you are too gullible to see beyond your nose. He built 2 IPPs not overnight, but within 2 years and not in decades with 30 billion dollars and still continued darkness.  Too bad he didnt have the 30 billion dollars to electrify the whole of Nigeria like these incompetent and corrupt people.

This new gimmick is only telling some people that government money is available to reward them for failure.

Btw, the new power policy he unveiled was to deregulate and get the government out of the power sector right? So why are they staking a whole new agency to keep the in the game for good with our money to give away?

And there you go spewing some unverifiable rubbish. Your insinuations and flawed comparison of GEJ with Fashola, irrespective of the differences in their scope of responsibility, shows how partial and unrealistic your point of view is. Even your so revered Fashola is still grappling with the complexities in Lagos state.
You can go ahead and keep spewing the rubbish that is oozing from your mind. You are better off ignored than engaged with in a discourse.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by occam(m): 4:23pm On Aug 24, 2011
Mr President says “we are unfortunately faced with a situation where our power distribution companies find it challenging to collect enough revenue from their customers to pay for powers they receive from generating companies. In this situation, potential investors do not have the confidence that when they produce and deliver power, they will receive payment, so, they will not be encouraged to invest in the sector".

REALLY!

Well, this is the same challenge a lot of small and medium businesses face in Nigeria; but they have to figure out ways to collect money from customers. This is the risk of doing business in Nigeria. Why should govt. shield anyone? These are business investors and they should bake in the risk of revenue collections in their projections.  The President sets up a board to stabilize the market and ensure "revenue certainty" Hmmn this looks similar to the old and corrupt Agricultural Marketing boards.

Know why consumers don't pay their bills? Because they don't get regular supply of electricity.

This constant policy announcement and the President's desire to ensure constant electricity is not what Nigerians want to hear.  GEJ should give us specific goals e.g. 18 hours of constant electricity in all by 2014 or 24 hrs by 2016. We don't need to know if 100,000 MW has to be generated to achieve this.

Also, aren't you putting too much Okonjo Iweala's plate?
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by chines4(m): 4:26pm On Aug 24, 2011
Waiting for events to unfold
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by obitobe: 4:39pm On Aug 24, 2011
I strongly believe that things are going to change for the best in our country.All i pray is that this problem solving approach should be followed to the last letter and we see Nigeria going forward economically.All we need now is to give our support to this administration and wish them all the best.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by EkoIle1: 5:19pm On Aug 24, 2011
I hope you are joking and if your are, you got to be the lousiest comedian alive. What's scope got to do with competency? When GEJ was the governor of a state like fashola in charge of huge oil money and just les than 2 million people and when the scope wasn't even 1/4 of Fashola's, what exactly did he do? What exactly did he achieved?

Answer the questions or don't bother replying. All I did was explained what we can achieve when people are serious about their commitment to stable power in nigeria and this clown is trying to turn it into some GEJ against Fashola nonsense. And if that's what you want to do, bring it on, I'm game anytime. I just showe you what was achieved with so little resources.

You need to keep that slow scope nonsense to yourself.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 24, 2011
Let me see the result by 2015, I'm tired of showman government.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by BigMeat2: 7:39pm On Aug 24, 2011
Enough of this ceremonial talk, all we want is effective action and regular power supply.
They know where the problem lies, instead we're been hoodwinked by various statements from the presidency.

ACTION, NOT MERE WORDS.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 24, 2011
occam:

Mr President says “we are unfortunately faced with a situation where our power distribution companies find it challenging to collect enough revenue from their customers to pay for powers they receive from generating companies. In this situation, potential investors do not have the confidence that when they produce and deliver power, they will receive payment, so, they will not be encouraged to invest in the sector".

REALLY!

Well, this is the same challenge a lot of small and medium businesses face in Nigeria; but they have to figure out ways to collect money from customers. This is the risk of doing business in Nigeria. Why should govt. shield anyone? These are business investors and they should bake in the risk of revenue collections in their projections. The President sets up a board to stabilize the market and ensure "revenue certainty" Hmmn this looks similar to the old and corrupt Agricultural Marketing boards.

Know why consumers don't pay their bills? Because they don't get regular supply of electricity.

This constant policy announcement and the President's desire to ensure constant electricity is not what Nigerians want to hear. GEJ should give us specific goals e.g. 18 hours of constant electricity in all by 2014 or 24 hrs by 2016. We don't need to know if 100,000 MW has to be generated to achieve this.

Also, aren't you putting too much Okonjo Iweala's plate?

So what exactly is the the minister of power's job again? SMH!!!
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by occam(m): 9:24pm On Aug 24, 2011
naijababe:

So what exactly is the the minister of power's job again? SMH!!!

Exactly. Why ask Iweala to head this board when you have a Minister of Power; GEJ is asking her to do too much.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 24, 2011
@Occam, you should know by now your president is clueless and this woman is prime minister
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Kobojunkie: 10:59pm On Aug 24, 2011
occam:

Exactly. Why ask Iweala to head this board when you have a Minister of Power; GEJ is asking her to do too much.

um . . . . . Why is the woman herself declaring she can do it all? She will create jobs, fix electricity . . . in fact do every ministries work, na who send am?? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by buffny: 12:27am On Aug 25, 2011
oh boy now igbos will never let us sleep.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by occam(m): 2:51am On Aug 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

um . . . . . Why is the woman herself declaring she can do it all? She will create jobs, fix electricity . . . in fact do every ministries work, na who send am?? undecided undecided undecided

yes, she may have asked GEJ to let her do this. Seems a lot of people believe she's the white knight in shining armor to rescue the economy. Hope she doesn't get swarmed and start the finger pointing game.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Rossikk(m): 4:36am On Aug 25, 2011
Let us see her actually break the jinx of epileptic power supply in a substantive way before we start heaping praise on her, or proclaiming her the next president.  cool
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Gbawe: 8:06am On Aug 25, 2011
blink182:

@Occam, you should know by now your president is clueless and this woman is prime minister

And compromised . What is needed is not more Government spending on power or more involvement of the FG in the power sector via the creation of more power parastatals and agencies !!!! GEJ promised , last year, to back the type of full deregulation that will see States sourcing and implementing their own power solution. Is this it ?

Only recently , the Governors forum reiterated loudly , through Rotimi Ameachi, that they are insisting on full deregulation and privatisation of the power sector . I am sure this is another way to tell GEJ that they are not impressed with his 'boju boju' efforts at maintaining the status quo. Serious Governors like Ameachi and Fashola are fed up with the gradualism of the FG . They just wan't the chance to be allowed to develop their States unhindered by the pervasive leadership indolence and cluelessness In Nigeria . Let us remember that Amaechi never believed in GEJ and he had to be forced to "endorse" Mr. President.

Simply push for the expedited ratification of deregulation laws and let the concept of enterprise and profit do the rest !!! All we are seeing now is just more attempt to buy the generator and diesel barons (all GEJ sponsors) more time .
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Dauchman(m): 10:16am On Aug 25, 2011
Let's watch as more chaos unfolds, as our treasury is looted dry. Very pathetic.
Re: Okonjo-iweala, Nnaji Lead Charge For Stable Power Supply by Bawss1(m): 10:24am On Aug 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

She is super woman. You didn't know that?

Time will tell on all this. Lets watch.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP To CPC: You Are Too Blind To Notice Jonathan’s Achievements” / The Fraternity Handshake (amaechi & Wike) / Nnamdi Kanu Breaks Silence Over Viral Video With Wife In Bed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.