Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,491 members, 7,816,162 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:53 AM

Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally (7650 Views)

Insecurity: Buhari Agrees To Honour Reps Summon / Reps Summon Buhari Over Slain Borno Farmers / Accidental Discharge: Reps Summon IGP, NSCDC Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by another1: 5:03am On Nov 14, 2022
The House of Representatives Committee on Public Accounts has summoned 63 institutions of the Federal Government for implementing budgets not presented by the President and passed by the National Assembly, leading to illegal spending totalling over N2 trillion.

Chairman of the committee, Oluwole Oke, also had written a letter to the Director-General, Budget Office of the Federation, Ben Akabueze, to demand evidence of appropriation by the National Assembly.

The President is expected to transmit budgetary proposals of MDAs to the National Assembly, while the clerk transmits passed budgets to the Presidency for implementation.

However, Buhari, while laying the 2023 Appropriation Bill before a joint session of the National Assembly on October 7, 2022, slammed committees of the parliament who were bypassing him and approving budgets for Government-Owned Enterprises without his approval.

The President had said, “Distinguished Senators, Honourable Members, you may recall that we earlier integrated the budget of Government-Owned Enterprises into the FGN’s 2019 budget submission. This has helped to enhance the comprehensiveness and transparency of the FGN budget. It has, however, come to my attention that Government-Owned Enterprises liaise directly with relevant NASS committees to have their budget passed and issued to them directly.

“I would like to implore the leadership of the National Assembly to ensure that the budget I lay here today, which includes those of the GOEs, be returned to the Presidency when passed.  The current practice where some committees of the National Assembly purport to pass budgets for GOEs, which are at variance with the budgets sanctioned by me, and communicate such directly to the MDAs, is against the rules and needs to stop.”

The committee, in the letter dated November 8, 2022, with Reference Number: HR/PAC/SCO5/9NASS/QUE.60/97, which was received at the Budget Office of the Federation on November 10, 2022, noted that the query was based on the alarm raised by the President.

The letter was titled, ‘Re-Request for Information/Documents with Respect to Allegations of Illegal Approvals of Budgets and Extra-Constitutional Expenditure by Some Government Owned Enterprises and Non-Treasury Funded Agencies.’

It partly read, “In pursuance of the power conferred on the National Assembly (Assembly) by Sections 88 and 89 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as altered) (Constitution), Standing Rules of the House of Representatives, and based on Section 2 of the Legislative Houses (Powers and Privileges) Act 2017, the Public Accounts Committee is conducting investigation into the allegation made by President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR (Mr. President), during the presentation of the 2023 Appropriation Bill before a joint session of the National Assembly.

“Mr. President alleged that some Government Owned Enterprises have been submitting their budget and getting it passed through some committees of the National Assembly outside of the process prescribed in Section 81(1) of the Constitution.

“In view of the above and in line with Sections 88 and 89 of the Constitution, I hereby request that the Budget Office of the Federation furnish the committee with the approved Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) budget of the following parastatals for the period 2015-2022.

“Please kindly submit a soft copy and 15 hard copies of the above documents/information to Suite 4.23 House of Representatives Building, National Assembly, on or before the close of work on Friday 16th November, 2022.”

Giving more details on the matter, Oke said, “Over N2tn was spent illegally. Mr President has never presented or assented to these budgets. They are to tell Nigerians why they are operating illegal budgets; budgets that have not gone through the due process of law-making. Mr President never presented them to the parliament. Neither the Speaker nor the Senate president sighted or read them on the floor. All the agencies fingered have all been invited.”

https://punchng.com/reps-summon-63-agencies-for-spending-n2tn-illegally/

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by Deltafirstson(m): 5:04am On Nov 14, 2022
Corruption in apc led government is mind blowing.

19 Likes

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by speaktome(m): 5:04am On Nov 14, 2022
Forget that thing...they don chop the money be say they don chop am...shishi no go come back.

Our focus should be on how to change this devilish government of APC and PDP

PO is coming

25 Likes

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by socialmediaman: 5:13am On Nov 14, 2022
When you see politicians in Nigeria quarreling, you may think they’re trying to do the right thing, until you realize that corrupt money was shared but they were not given their own share

Last time they summoned Akpabio but when he started mentioning names, the next thing we heard was “Honorable Akpabio it’s ok it’s ok”

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by FIRDAUS3(m): 5:15am On Nov 14, 2022
2 trillion just like that?

We need somebody like Rollins in Nigeria otherwise, Nigerians would soon become a collateral.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by ALTERNATEID: 7:15am On Nov 14, 2022
Wole Oke wan take the president’s allegation chop from the GOEs.
Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by Racoon(m): 7:24am On Nov 14, 2022
Were the same HOR not the same rubberstamp stooges that approved all the budgetary provisions without proper scrutiny but padded same with their own cuts?

It is not the same HOR that simply goes on corruption- legalising stunts( wherein flight tickets, expensive hotel accommodation, estacodes are provided by heads of these same MDAs) calling them oversight functions? Super-crooks investigating lesser crooks.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by tuoyoojo(m): 8:29am On Nov 14, 2022
I wish them luck
Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by veekid(m): 8:29am On Nov 14, 2022
You won't hear anything after this, aiye gbogbo yin maa dojuru nii. Eyin olofo.
How and why would a sane human being spent 2 fúcking trillion lavishly? How? Why?

2 Likes

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by STEWpid(f): 8:29am On Nov 14, 2022
Chai...

Just some Agencies o..?

What about Ministries, Departments?

...and Government itself?

It is very bitter in Nigeria.

They want to probe because some other persons did not get their own share of the embezzlement.

Once their palms are greased, Case Closed!

2 Likes

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by thundafire: 8:31am On Nov 14, 2022
They are shouting because the didn't get a share of the largesse

1 Like

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by Omonieme: 8:31am On Nov 14, 2022
Omoooor, the level of corruption and wastage that exists in Nigeria ehn, I say even angel Gabriel go give up if he's presiding over Nigeria with these current institutional settings. It's a miracle Nigeria still exists. Even the National assembly is not left out. We know what happens when they go for project inspection and whenever agencies come for budget defence. They only cry out when they aren't settled. Even the journalists who ought to be the 4th estate of the realm aren't left out. Graft is soo entrenched in this country that only God can save us.
Well, I still sell cars and I've got several amazing auto deals right now. From Toyota Camry 09 @3.2 m to a 4 month used Corolla Verso 06 @2.650m to a Toyota Rav4, several Hyundais and others you'll find on my profile all at amazing prices. Just click on my profile, check em out and drive home to the village for Xmas in style

3 Likes

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by Pwettylinda(f): 8:32am On Nov 14, 2022
We need OBi pls all these have to stop undecided

5 Likes

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by dalongjnr: 8:33am On Nov 14, 2022
OK!
Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by jige4topclass(m): 8:35am On Nov 14, 2022
Yeye govt. When dey summon, d entire world will know but d outcome of d summon will be kept to themselves. What is d outcome of all d previous summons? All organs,agencies, levels of d APC govt is corrupt. Stupid pple. They should just keep their summon to themselves. I can't wait till Feb. 2023 when by the Grace of God OBI-DATTI will take over and sanitize the entire system.
#OBIDATTI2023 is a goal

1 Like

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by ecolime(m): 8:35am On Nov 14, 2022
The corruption under Buhari is legendary.

Abacha na learner for where these present set of crooks dey.
Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by sojisenai(m): 8:36am On Nov 14, 2022
Hmmm...

Meanwhile, if you have an elderly loved one, or a friend who is sick or disabled or a pregnant/nursing mother...and you need a reputable company to provide quality care for them, kindly check my signature for the best caregiving service company around.
Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by Bmaster(m): 8:36am On Nov 14, 2022
we need peter Obi.
Not Tinubu
Not Atiku

2 Likes

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by AngryNigerian(m): 8:37am On Nov 14, 2022
Dad, even if you are late already, you no try come born me here...in this sh*th*le
Imagine this kind of news in some other countries. The streets WILL go haywire before dawn with massive protests! We are so comfortable with corruption here because most of us are part of it...smh!

1 Like

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by tunapawizzy: 8:37am On Nov 14, 2022
Bunch of jokers....i dont take these legislators seriously anymore....

1 Like

Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by kerry57: 8:38am On Nov 14, 2022
Yeye summoning. What have the previous summons yielded? Everything in Nigeria politics is arrangee. The legislators will collect their own share and shot up, summon ends.
Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by Offpoint1: 8:38am On Nov 14, 2022
sad
Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by chatinent: 8:39am On Nov 14, 2022
All Buhari can say to a ₦2trn scandal is "let it stop?"

Yahoo Yahoo is very cheap than that of the APC fraud.
Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by Juleeee: 8:40am On Nov 14, 2022
2trillion or 2million I'm trying to comprehend.
Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by openmine(m): 8:45am On Nov 14, 2022
This is the sort of lavish behavior from the same administration that is fighting corruption!
Yet some people want to still vote for APC in 2023!
Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by Tonygeesm(m): 8:48am On Nov 14, 2022
Nigerian government more useless that a 75year old prostitute
Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by Allisgud: 8:49am On Nov 14, 2022
All this one na show of drama,nothing go happen,Po our president
Re: Reps Summon 63 Agencies For Spending ₦‎2 Trillion Illegally by FrancescoFarino(f): 8:51am On Nov 14, 2022
three weeks later the cases would be swept under the carpet.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu At NESG Today (photo) / I Did Not Call For Tinubu’s Probe – House Committee Chairman Gagdi / Ekiti: Governor Oyebanji Appoints Komolafe New Head Of Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.