Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

I Will Request Debt Forgiveness For Nigeria – Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Request Debt Forgiveness For Nigeria – Atiku (328 Views)

Buhari Has History Of Bringing Looted Funds To Nigeria – Atiku / USA Barred Buhari In 2001 Over Plan To Islamize Nigeria - Atiku / It Is Sad That Two Global Banking Giants Are Leaving Nigeria - Atiku Abubakar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Request Debt Forgiveness For Nigeria – Atiku by iwaeda: 6:57pm On Nov 15, 2022
The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, has said he will ask for debt forgiveness or cancellation to relieve Nigeria’s foreign debts.

The former vice president, while speaking on his economic recovery plan at the Lagos Business School 2022 Alumni Day, also said his privatisation plan was not to render Nigerians jobless.

Speaking on a plethora of economic issues Nigeria is currently battling with, Atiku gave a brief background on the economic gains of the PDP between 1999 and 2007, including debt cancellation, privatisation, banking reforms, as well as the effective working partnership with the private sector.

He engaged the audience on economic issues, fuel subsidy, foreign exchange policy, debt crisis, and power, as well as issues bordering on the oil and gas sector at the event which had business executives in attendance.

He also used the platform to pay tribute to the private sector for the successes recorded by the PDP from 1999- 2007.

On the rising cost of governance, the former VP said he would revisit the Orosanye report and ensure the white paper report was in conformity with the principle of setting up the committee.

Speaking on fuel subsidy, Atiku noted how the PDP government had phased out subsidy in batches, saying, “I was the chairman for the removal of fuel subsidy committee and I recall how we removed the phase 1 and phase 2 of fuel subsidy. I will continue from were we stopped, remove fuel subsidy totally and channel the subsidy funds back to the economy. In other words, it’s just a fraud.”

He described Nigeria’s debt situation as a mess, saying he would fix it if he was elected president.

He said, “If you are talking about foreign debt, we have done it before, I will engage our creditors and ask for debt forgiveness or cancellation like we did before. Coming to local debt, if we stabilise the economy, we will borrow less, propose a flexible payment plan.

“Again, I want you to compare our records with the current government and you can see who did well economically.”

The ex-vice president stated that he would reform the oil and gas sector by ensuring that the right investors were engaged such that Nigeria’s crude production would increase, while ensuring the privatisation of the three refineries in the country.

According to him, such policies would ultimately make Nigeria an oil production hub.

He equally vowed to ensure proper funding for public education, noting that education should be enjoyed by children of the poor for free.

He also promised to reposition the Universal Basic Education, which was set up in 1999, to its main purpose which was to reduce out-of-school children in the country.

When asked to comment on the autonomy of the Central Bank of Nigeria, the PDP standard bearer said the current managers of the apex bank were taking a cue from the current administration ”which”, according to him, “lacks direction.”

https://punchng.com/i-will-request-debt-forgiveness-for-nigeria-atiku
Re: I Will Request Debt Forgiveness For Nigeria – Atiku by slimfit1(m): 7:38pm On Nov 15, 2022
These Hausa people don't get it, nobody will listen to you again. Maybe if you return the money you stole you won't have to beg. He wants to run Nigeria like the Almajiri system where you do nothing but expects much.
If you don't have anything to say why don't you keep quiet? I was in London a few days ago, this white man was making fun of a Hausa man saying all they do is like to take they don't stop. He didn't know I was Nigerian or Yoruba nation We are neighbors with Arewa, he thought I was from somewhere else.
Re: I Will Request Debt Forgiveness For Nigeria – Atiku by Acedude: 7:41pm On Nov 15, 2022
slimfit1:
These Hausa people don't get it, nobody will listen to you again. Maybe if you return the money you stole you won't have to beg. He wants to run Nigeria like Almajiri.

He has one of the best private universities in Nigeria. He’s very well predisposed to education. So your Almajiri statement is out of point. Say another thing
Re: I Will Request Debt Forgiveness For Nigeria – Atiku by Honjoshy4u: 7:44pm On Nov 15, 2022
Right thing to do because Buhari/APC have borrowed the future of the country. The situation is worst than the military era.
May APC not happen to Naija again.
We will say Amen with our PVC and God
Re: I Will Request Debt Forgiveness For Nigeria – Atiku by slimfit1(m): 7:49pm On Nov 15, 2022
Acedude:

He has one of the best private universities in Nigeria. He’s very well predisposed to education. So your Almajiri statement is out of point. Say another thing

Dept forgiveness is a lazy way to get out of a bad situation as a nation. The last one what was the result? When I say Almajiri is when you don't want to work but want to eat. You want something for nothing. But could not establish a good public university as vice president of Nigeria?
I don't trust Atiku running any government, of all the government companies he sold 90% of them didn't benefit this country.
Re: I Will Request Debt Forgiveness For Nigeria – Atiku by MansoryMX(m): 8:04pm On Nov 15, 2022
Is this a joke or what?

First of all, instead of fix the refineries you want to privatize it to yourself and your goons up in the North so y’all can have a permanent stronghold on the South. All the national assets that you and Obj privatize, where are the proceeds? What benefits did Nigeria as a nation benefited from selling off those national assets?

Secondly you want to open debt forgiveness? For those of you who don’t want Debt forgiveness is. It’s a situation where a country will be indebted to another country as a result of inability to pay off loan gotten from that country. The indebtedness will be paid with something bigger than money.

I thought this man has sense! Atiku wants to finalize Buhari handwork on Nigeria.
Re: I Will Request Debt Forgiveness For Nigeria – Atiku by limeta(f): 8:13pm On Nov 15, 2022
You request or you will beg which ever one thats a lazy man's move.
Atiku will be all about looting and hand out .
Re: I Will Request Debt Forgiveness For Nigeria – Atiku by Acedude: 9:01pm On Nov 15, 2022
slimfit1:

Dept forgiveness is a lazy way to get out of a bad situation as a nation. The last one what was the result? When I say Almajiri is when you don't want to work but want to eat. You want something for nothing. But could not establish a good public university as vice president of Nigeria?
I don't trust Atiku running any government, of all the government companies he sold 90% of them didn't benefit this country.

You are naive. Can a Vice President single handedly establish a university? Did/Can Osinbanjo establish a university under Buhari. That resolution rests with the president. He can decide to take your advice or not. And if you watched the symposium today, there were a number of proposals Atiku said he suggested to Obasanjo but he turned them down.

Do you also know the current debt burden of this nation?

You sound childish, inexperienced and totally out of touch. It will be a total waste of time having a discuss with you. Enjoy your day!
Re: I Will Request Debt Forgiveness For Nigeria – Atiku by slivertongue: 9:37pm On Nov 15, 2022
Not necessary. We should pay our debts so we don't go back to borrow and waste
Re: I Will Request Debt Forgiveness For Nigeria – Atiku by dvdwed(m): 9:44pm On Nov 15, 2022
African leaders will borrow, embezzle, and refuse to pay, seeking debt forgiveness �

(1) (Reply)

“Manifesto Or No Manifesto, Obi Is Our Candidate”- Middlebelt And Southern Forum / Tinubu New Music / Apc To Launch Crowdfund App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.