Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,128 members, 7,860,059 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:36 AM

We Must Credit OBJ For The Rise Of Afrobeats And World Class Nigerian Superstars - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Must Credit OBJ For The Rise Of Afrobeats And World Class Nigerian Superstars (616 Views)

Exposed! - What Atiku Abubakar Promised Obj For His Endorsement! / What Atiku Abubakar Promised Obj For His Endorsement! / My Watch: I Expect Atiku To Sue OBJ For Libel But He Went Begging Him – Ogala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Must Credit OBJ For The Rise Of Afrobeats And World Class Nigerian Superstars by Napata77: 9:02pm On Nov 16, 2022
We must credit former president Olusegun Obasanjo for the rise of Afrobeats and World Class Nigerian Music Superstars

If it wasn't for OBJ's order around the year 2000 that all radio stations must play 85% or more Nigerian music, there would be no Burna boy, Wizzy, Davido, or Tiwa Savage today.

There would be no Don Jazzy, P-square, Timaya, Flavour, Olamide, Runtown, D Banj, Mr Eazy, CKay etc etc.

Today, these guys have made Nigeria an international musical and cultural powerhouse, admired by nations far and wide.

In fact you have to leave this country to know the impact these guys have had on the world's image and impression of Nigeria.

It's hugely positive.

See, as soon as OBJ gave that order, suddenly a whole new demand was generated nationwide for new and exciting local artistes who could play something that young Nigerians, long used to US Soul, R&B and Hip hop, could party to. Something home-grown, but funky. And groovy.

That was the rise of Afrobeats (as distingushed from 'Afrobeat', invented by the master himself).

Today, Nigerian Afrobeats plays on every radio station and in every nightclub worth its salt anywhere in the world. Brazil, Jamaica, USA, UK, Germany, Iceland, Uganda, Poland, Holland, Zimbabwe, Ghana, Italy, South Africa, UAE, Morocco, Trinidad, everywhere...

Nigerian artistes are selling out massive iconic international concert venues like Madison Square Garden, New York and the O2 Arena in London.

This was something that was unthinkable even 15 years ago.

Please, let's thank OBJ for this feat.

I remember back when he did it, many Nigerians criticised the move (as usual) as 'draconian', 'authoritarian', 'anti-freedom' etc etc. (The exact same way many have criticised Buhari for his recent ban on foreign models and advertisers/voice-overs etc. In the next 10 to 15 years when Nigerian firms turn world class media and advertising giants, then you will know why he did it.)

OBJ just ignored the loud critics, and enforced the policy.

Today I went on Youtube and played Burna Boy's Last Last.

Then I read the comments from all over the world.

One comment stood out for me. The poster from Germany said:

''Damn! Burna Boy makes me proud to be Nigerian, and I'm not even Nigerian!''.

The comment got over 4,000 likes and drew much laughter, from folks around the world.

Please, let's thank the OBJ administration for this amazing and glorious cultural achievement.

If you know how our fellow African countries envy Nigeria over this.

I mean, they can't figure out how we did it.

We now produce Grammy level artistes in large number, while the rest of them combined, can barely produce 1.

In fact it's a huge embarrassment for the rest of the continent.

The Ghanaians especially, are in a compete meltdown and state of confusion over Nigeria's fast-growing musical and cultural dominance over the entire world.

They don't know how to handle it.

Countries like the USA do not downplay or disregard their cultural hegemony over the world, fostered through Hollywood, music, fashion etc.

And neither must Nigeria, the undisputed Giant of Africa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Credit OBJ For The Rise Of Afrobeats And World Class Nigerian Superstars by Napata77: 9:16pm On Nov 16, 2022
bump
Re: We Must Credit OBJ For The Rise Of Afrobeats And World Class Nigerian Superstars by Roboto11: 9:17pm On Nov 16, 2022
Obi wants Nigeria to continue to import to greatness.

And some numbskulls find some sense in it.
Re: We Must Credit OBJ For The Rise Of Afrobeats And World Class Nigerian Superstars by Foolishbuhari: 10:18pm On Nov 16, 2022
Roboto11:

But you import petrol?

1 Like

Re: We Must Credit OBJ For The Rise Of Afrobeats And World Class Nigerian Superstars by Napata77: 11:15pm On Nov 16, 2022
Foolishbuhari:

But you import petrol?

Not with the Dangote refinery coming on stream.

That refinery, the word's largest single train refinery, is set to transform the Nigerian industrial landscape.

1 Like

Re: We Must Credit OBJ For The Rise Of Afrobeats And World Class Nigerian Superstars by Napata77: 1:13am On Nov 17, 2022
Roboto11:

Obi needs to discourage imports if he becomes president.
Re: We Must Credit OBJ For The Rise Of Afrobeats And World Class Nigerian Superstars by sonature1: 4:26am On Nov 17, 2022
It was called the local content law. It was part of his broader local content law that was enforced on the oil and gas industry. Jonathan perfected the implementation of that law in the oil and gas industry when he came in.

I laugh when Buhari people say that no Nigerian president has done more on infrastructure than him. That's because they know that Nigerians are forgetful or there was no social media at the time for Nigerians to document what Obasanjo built. They said that Obasanjo stole $16 billion in the power sector, but no president has built more power stations like Obasanjo.

I like it when people lead using policies. For over 7 years, I haven't seen one major policy Buhari and Osinbajo implemented that they will be remembered for. The only thing Buhari is good at is borrowing money to fix infrastructure with no idea of how to repay the money.
Re: We Must Credit OBJ For The Rise Of Afrobeats And World Class Nigerian Superstars by BigIyanga: 4:30am On Nov 17, 2022
Napata77:

Not with the Dangote refinery coming on stream.

That refinery, the word's largest single train refinery, is set to transform the Nigerian industrial landscape.
You import ur phone, latptop, car, petrol etc
Buhari and Tinubu dey go abroad for medical treatment.

Abegi, go collect from ur paymaster wey don use ur brain
Re: We Must Credit OBJ For The Rise Of Afrobeats And World Class Nigerian Superstars by orisa37: 7:21am On Nov 17, 2022
OBJ IS AN ICON SON OF GOD.

1 Like

Re: We Must Credit OBJ For The Rise Of Afrobeats And World Class Nigerian Superstars by BigIyanga: 6:11pm On Nov 17, 2022
sonature1:
It was called the local content law. It was part of his broader local content law that was enforced on the oil and gas industry. Jonathan perfected the implementation of that law in the oil and gas industry when he came in.

I laugh when Buhari people say that no Nigerian president has done more on infrastructure than him. That's because they know that Nigerians are forgetful or there was no social media at the time for Nigerians to document what Obasanjo built. They said that Obasanjo stole $16 billion in the power sector, but no president has built more power stations like Obasanjo.

I like it when people lead using policies. For over 7 years, I haven't seen one major policy Buhari and Osinbajo implemented that they will be remembered for. The only thing Buhari is good at is borrowing money to fix infrastructure with no idea of how to repay the money.
U dey mind them.
PDP in 8 yrs created and started: GSM, NAfdac,EFCC, ICPC, DMO, NECO, NDDC, DMO, Debit Card, ATM, Bank consolidation, Minimum Wage..

PDP brought: Etihad, Emerates, Qatar, Delta, United, Virgin Atlantic and co airlines. No single ATM use before 1999.
Google, Facebook, Microsoft and co all came to Naija because of PDP. Now everybody orders uber,rida, bolt, konga, jumia without knowing that it was investment and policies implemented by PDP
what has APC founded?

(1) (Reply)

Mbaise Nation Gets Consensus Guber Candidate As Basil Maduka Engages Residents / 2023: Peter Obi Speaks On Giving Kwankwaso N40 Billions To Step Down For Him. / Peter Obi Is Just A Side Show. A Comic Relief - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.