Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,602 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO (4788 Views)

Phcn To Stop Existing By December 31st, 2011 - Power Minister / Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s Ceo - Hail To Cronism/fed. Character / I Foresaw Prof. Nnaji As Power Minister Since February – Igbo Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 24, 2011
Nigeria will hit 5000 megawatts soon, El-Sudi

By Emma Ujah, Daniel Idonor & Inalegwu Shaibu

ABUJA — BARELY three days after the Federal Government uncovered the poor management of the failed N30 billion Olorunsogo power station by a Chinese firm, the Minister of Power, Prof. Barth Nnaji, Wednesday ordered the immediate removal of the Chief Executive Officer, CEO, Mr Mohammed Almu.

Vanguard investigation revealed that the embattled CEO is now to work in the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN, Abuja head office, where he would be monitored closely.

The government is piqued that Almu, who until his recall to the headquarters in Abuja, an acting CEO, failed to articulate what was required to recover the six of the eight turbines in the station that have since broken down, thereby reducing the installed capacity of the plant from 304 to 60 megawatt of electricity.

Nnaji, who was on an inspection tour of the plant, in company of his Information counterpart, Mr Labaran Maku, had expressed disappointment over the inability of the management led by the CEO to provide the inspectors with adequate information on the company.

Besides, the inspection team was also told that every move and attempt by the Nigerian engineers attached to the Chinese experts to acquire the requisite skills for the maintenance of the plants were usually frustrated by the foreigners, just as the Nigerians at the plant could not lay hands on the agreement documents to ascertain at what point their responsibilities begin and end.

The Minister said “we got here (Olorunsogo) and we are scratching for information. I don’t like it and we will do something about that because what we want is ability to ensure that things keep on going. It requires resourcefulness to get things done.”

How can we be in a situation where the total amount of money needed here is nothing in comparison to just one problem which the people in Egbin station solved . It is a lot more than all of this put together. So, for sure, we are going to do something about it to solve these problems but on the technical side, we have to do something. That is why visiting these plants is very important”.

“I will say that in Olorunnsogo phase I, which is a federal government power plant we are quiet disappointed that there are eight units that should provide over 300 mw there and that of all those units only two are functioning. And what is required to actually get many of the units functioning is not just much and we are also going to look into the issue of the workers not being able to access manuals to operate the power plant. So these are some issues that we have found that we are going to resolve”.

The CEO had while briefing the minister said “at the time of handing over of this project, they (Chinese) are supposed to give us two years running spare parts but what they gave us were just small spare parts and that is why we are having serious problem. And anytime we contact them, they will promise to bring the parts and up till now, they have not given us any. And any time we have a problem and we want to go with them, they will refuse to go with us and abandon the place.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/how-chinese-firm-sabotages-power-supply-fg/
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by Nobody: 12:09am On Aug 25, 2011
This Mr. Bath truly is a no non sense person. We might just see the light of day.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by Beaf: 12:14am On Aug 25, 2011
Now we will get a CEO that wouldn't tell us the plant packed up because the manuals are in Chinese. Its hard to beat a dafter cover up for incompetence.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by Nobody: 12:16am On Aug 25, 2011
Beaf:

Now we will get a CEO that wouldn't tell us the plant packed up because the manuals are in Chinese. Its hard to beat a dafter cover up for incompetence.
Lol, if Mr. Bath continues like this he is sure to rid PHCN of useless staff.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by Beaf: 12:20am On Aug 25, 2011
blink182:

Lol, if Mr. Bath continues like this he is sure to rid PHCN of useless staff.

Dude, it'll be hard to find any staff that aren't useless in PHCN, so I guess the poor ministers sack letter pen is going to be very very busy indeed. grin

[size=14pt]Barth Nnaji sacks four CEOs of PHCN[/size]
By BUSINESSNEWS · August 2, 2011 Goverment · Tagged: Barth Nnaji, PHCN

Minister of Power, Barth Nnaji on Monday sacked four Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) of Power Holding Companies of Nigeria (PHCN), a move that swiftly set jitters down the spine of the top management staff of the company.
. . .

Read the rest here, http://businessnews.com.ng/2011/08/02/barth-nnaji-sacks-four-ceos-of-phcn/

Lol!
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by Nobody: 12:27am On Aug 25, 2011
I've read that story. Whoever is wise should sit up at this point.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by okadaman2: 12:40am On Aug 25, 2011
Bart Nnaji warmed my heart, there are few things I like better than the sacking of incompetent public officials.

Public money must not be paid to Idioooooots!!

Why not outright firing or dismissal? I hope he never touches a government socket wire again! Good riddance.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by OAM4J: 1:21am On Aug 25, 2011
@OP

Please always add the source link to your story. Thanks.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/minister-sacks-olorunsogo-power-plants-ceo/
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by damola1: 1:48am On Aug 25, 2011
Too much politics, sack the damn guy, why move the mufu to the HQ, to continue with his incompetence!
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by efisher(m): 2:05am On Aug 25, 2011
Good start. Every obstacle must be removed. Incompetent dunces must not be allowed to keep the whole nation in darkness. If not for political reasons the guy should have been fired from service for gross incompetence.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by ekkywolex(m): 2:54am On Aug 25, 2011
well done sir, when we go get electricity?; dis power problem sef!!!!
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by naijacann: 3:37am On Aug 25, 2011
The three top Igbo members of the cabinet are just great!!! with Anyim Pius Anyim co-ordinating the entire ministries

- Prof. Barth Nnaji (Power)
- Ngozi Okonji Iweala(Finance)
- Emeka Wogu (Labour)

Every other persons in that cabinet are just there for numbers sake. They just don't have a clue what they're to do

Where are the major policy pronouncements from Ministers from major Ministries like Education, Works, Health, Agriculture?
The Architect in charge of works ministry just dey talk talk.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by tadebo: 3:51am On Aug 25, 2011
@naijacann

Please don't start that here, it is not about igbo against another tribe, it is about doing the right thing. One naija, one goal, taking care of our people east or west, north or south.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by cold(m): 4:37am On Aug 25, 2011
This is a step in the right direction by the minister.Be that as it may, I am hard pressed to call this action a sack,more like a redeployment.

blink182:

the Minister of Power, Prof. Barth Nnaji, Wednesday ordered the immediate removal of the Chief Executive Officer, CEO, Mr Mohammed Almu.

Vanguard investigation revealed that the embattled CEO is now to work in the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN, Abuja head office, where he would be monitored closely.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by naijacann: 4:59am On Aug 25, 2011
@Tadebo
I'm just making my observations clear
I've stopped being delusional with this neutrality nonesence. I will never be deceived again.
In the past admin, it was Akunyili cleaning up NAFDAC. Here we go again with top Igbos doing well in their various ministries.
What is the Minister of Education doing? Where is the FCT Minister? Where's the Agric Boss? They're no where to be found.
The only minister who seems to be working, in addition to the three I earlier mentioned is Alison Madueke, who's also an igbo woman both by birth and by marriage. Where are the other ministers? Where are their pronouncements? Give me a break on this ethnic neutrality nonesense. I refuse to be deceived again. When performance/rescue becomes the watchword, igbos emerges.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by Canisma(m): 5:58am On Aug 25, 2011
@naijacan. True talk. Seconded. But you know, some truths are better left unsaid. Lol
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by BetaThings: 6:52am On Aug 25, 2011
naijacann:

The three top Igbo members of the cabinet are just great!!! with Anyim Pius Anyim co-ordinating the entire ministries

- Emeka Wogu (Labour)

Every other persons in that cabinet are just there for numbers sake. They just don't have a clue what they're to do

Where are the major policy pronouncements from Ministers from major Ministries like Education, Works, Health, Agriculture?

I agree. Even Jonathan is just making up the numbers. Anyim is the one in charge of the FG
You remember why Nzeribe decided not to support Okadigbo when the latter was in trouble
"Ndigbo O le ketere?"

BTW the Minister of Health is Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu (sorry let us make that Professor Oyebukola Shugaba so that your theory can remain valid)

President Goodluck Jonathan has ordered the immediate suspension of Capt. Emmanuel Iheanacho as Minister of Interior
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/04/19/president-jonathan-suspends-minister-of-interior/

naijacann:

@Tadebo
The only minister who seems to be working, in addition to the three I earlier mentioned is Alison Madueke, who's also an igbo woman both by birth and by marriage. Where are the other ministers? Where are their pronouncements? Give me a break on this ethnic neutrality nonesense. I refuse to be deceived again. When performance/rescue becomes the watchword, igbos emerges.

I reckon that when Alison Madueke wept at Benin-Ore and later did nothing, it was her Bayelsa state aspect of her life that was at play
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by aieromon(m): 7:29am On Aug 25, 2011
Is this a sack or a redeployment?
Btw,the road to the plant is horrible and i wonder how they transport equipment to that place.Some equipment had to stay on the road for months.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by demoore1(m): 7:32am On Aug 25, 2011
Welldone mR. Bath, Sack all those almajiris causing touble in PHCN,
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by texazzpete(m): 7:42am On Aug 25, 2011
naijacann:

@Tadebo
I'm just making my observations clear
I've stopped being delusional with this neutrality nonesence. I will never be deceived again.
In the past admin, it was Akunyili cleaning up NAFDAC. Here we go again with top Igbos doing well in their various ministries.
What is the Minister of Education doing? Where is the FCT Minister? Where's the Agric Boss? They're no where to be found.

Correction
in the past Administration, it was Akunyili well on her way to being one of the most inept and incompetent Information ministers we've ever had, wasting Taxpayers money on her brainless and imbecilic Rebranding campaign. NAFDAC was a long time ago.

Also, please explain to us what exactly Mrs Diezani Madueke has done to impress you.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by RickyRoss1(m): 8:03am On Aug 25, 2011
naijacann:

- Emeka Wogu (Labour)

Even though truth hurts but let the truth be told. We are not bringing any tribe down but we all know the best performing ministers/government officials during Obasanjos regime were all Igbos, Soludo-CBN, NCC Chairman with his revolution in the telecom sector, Dora Nafdac, Ngozi and the rest of them,

Now same thing is happening. Igbos are being drafted into the heartbeat of our economy to fix, my question is this. Why cant we elect an Igbo man to fix this country entirely?

Alex Ndukwe has done wonderfully well in the telecoms sector. Today the poorest Nigerian citizen can afford cell phones courtesy of an Igboman. If you put an incompetent fool there he will just mess up bc he is clueless.

We all know what Soludo did to our banking/insurance sector. Before he was elected no Nigerian bank was among the top 1,000 in the world, but today we know our banks are among the biggest in Africa and occupy good positions in the world rankings, In every African country i visit today i see more than 5 Nigerian banks.

Before OBJ came to power, Nigeria was only exporting 419, but today we export our banks/insurance companies. Our telecom companies are big enough to expand to other African countries. I still think OBJ is the best president we've ever had. I am not a politician and i am not from Yoruba, but i say the truth when i see it. If you know any better president than OBJ just name it.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by marcus1234: 8:19am On Aug 25, 2011
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by blank(f): 8:52am On Aug 25, 2011
Can a moderator do the needful and BAN this Kay Johnson spammer?
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by rhymz(m): 8:53am On Aug 25, 2011
It is obvious the CEO is very incompetent, just imagine the excuses he is giving us, nonsense! Seriously, instead of redeploying this guy, he is better of some other place not in the PHCN. For Bleep sake he is the CEO, he should have avenues to address issues such as that, how xcome they wont give him the right spare parts, manuals and all, did he sign any contract or procurement agreement with his chinese partners at all. His excuses are lame and laughable, gone are the days whe people give inability to read manuals written in chinese as an excuse for non-performance. Could it be the reason there has not been electricity in lagos since monday? nuals and all, did he sign any contract or procurement agreement with his chinese partners at all. His excuses are lame and laughable, gone are the days whe people give inability to read manuals written in chinese as an excuse for non-performance. Could it be the reason there has not been electricity in lagos since monday?
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by Pukkah: 9:06am On Aug 25, 2011
Good riddance (sorry, transfer) to an incompetent man.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by texazzpete(m): 9:07am On Aug 25, 2011
Ricky_Ross:

Alex Ndukwe has done wonderfully well in the telecoms sector. Today the poorest Nigerian citizen can afford cell phones courtesy of an Igboman. If you put an incompetent fool there he will just mess up bc he is clueless.

People like you are part of the reason why Nigeria is so backward, with your effusive praise for even mediocre accomplishment.

Even the poorest Indians can afford cheap cellphones. The cost of cellphones is not at all regulated by the NCC. Why did you not comment on the relatively high charges for making calls on these phone in Nigeria, compared to many other African countries?

Mobile internet in Nigeria costs almost double the cost in several other African countries. Call quality is abysmal on very many occasions, with MTN, Glo and Airtel adding more subscribers than their infrastructure can handle with ease. nigerians complain about poor call quality, arbitrary carrier charges (and promo fraud) among many other examples of shoddy service.

Abeg flee from sycophancy and ass kissing.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by Olaisrich(m): 9:22am On Aug 25, 2011
This discussion had been going on smoothly until the BIGOTS appeared! where is the door? oya, i don comot!
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by Demdem(m): 9:31am On Aug 25, 2011
good developments no doubt. though it seems to me that its simply a re-deployment but its still ok. i guess civil service rules is probably the reason why he wasnt sacked or so. anyway, this decision should be praised.

i think i like this Barth Guy. he seems to me like a man with olumo Rock type of balls unlike his master GEJ. I would have love a situation where GEj is impeached and Barth becomes President. decisions like this are needed in all areas especially as it regards to Corruption. Barth, i am presently on the lookout for u and wish u the best.
Re: Power Minister Sacks Olorunsogo Power Plant’s CEO by Exponental(m): 9:33am On Aug 25, 2011
Wat!!!
304 reduced to 60. Difference of 244, 80.26 percent lost.
Score 19.74 percent, ds wan pass F9 oooo.
There should be more to this than transfer.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Konga Using Merchant Money For Business. / 2015: Funding Opportunities For Entrepreneurs / Looking To Buy Empty Tea Bags

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.