Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,812,999 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss (3821 Views)

Who Did More For Programming: Steve Jobs Or Dennis Ritchie? / 21 Life Lessons From Steve Jobs By: Nick Scheidies / My Respect To Apple Ceo Steve Jobs Rip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Beaf: 4:14am On Aug 25, 2011
[size=14pt]Steve Jobs resigns as Apple boss[/size]

News that Apple boss Steve Jobs is stepping down permanently as chief executive of the technology giant prompted an outpouring of tributes, analysis, sadness and gallows humour on the web.

Here are just a selection of some of the reactions.

On the popular tech site Techcrunch, Saul Hamsell described Mr Jobs as the "the patron saint of perfectionists". The most amazing thing about Apple's revival under Mr Jobs' leadership, he wrote, was that it happened at all.

Most of the digital innovations that have transformed our lives have been logical outgrowth of increasing power and decreasing cost of semiconductors. Someone was going to invent personal computers, cell phones, the Internet, even search engines.
But there was "nothing the slightest bit inevitable" about Apple's success, he adds.

It's hard to think of anyone besides Steve Jobs who through the sheer force of will, self-confidence, vision and perfectionism could upend the powerful forces of technology to make so many products that delighted so many people precisely because they were improbable.
Writing at CNet, Jay Greene said Apple's fortunes, and those of Mr Jobs, were inextricably linked to Microsoft and Bill Gates. The firms and their bosses were rivals in innovations throughout the 1980s, the writer notes, and Steve Jobs was publicly critical of Microsoft during its 1990s heyday.

At the time, and for many years after, those words often seemed like sour grapes from an executive whose company had been surpassed in so many ways by Microsoft. But in the end, Jobs proved his vision right. His design chops and vision helped launch the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad, industry changing products that turned Apple into a more profitable and more valuable company than Microsoft.
News website The Daily Beast collated tweets from Apple employees as they reacted to the news.

Among those was Chris Espinosa, Apple employee number eight:

On May 31, 1985 I walked by Steve and his team sitting under the tree outside Bandley 3. Today I saw him leave Apple again.
Mike Lee, senior engineer at Apple, was brief and emotional:

I knew this day would come. I didn't expect to cry.
Another emotional writer was Om Malik, founder of the GigaOm network, who said he had a "lump in my throat and a tear in my eye" as he wrote his post. He, like many others, was quick to note that Mr Jobs' announcement raised concerns over his health.

The first thought that ran through my head was about Steve's health, and I thought to myself that this cannot be good. I don't care about him being the CEO or head of Apple. What I really do care about is his health. He wouldn't be making this decision unless things were pretty dire.
"Today, we are living in a world that is about taking short-term decisions," Mr Malik continued.

And then there is Steve and Apple - a leader and a company not afraid to take the long view, patiently building its way to the future it envisions for itself. Not afraid to invent the future and to be wrong. And almost always willing to do one small thing - cannibalize itself. Under Steve, Apple was happy to see the iPhone kill the iPod and iPad kill the MacBook. He understands that you don't walk into the future by looking back - if you do, you trip over yourself and break your nose.
Outside of the tech elite, ordinary Apple users took to Twitter to mark their appreciation for a man they never met but who influenced all their lives.

"Thanks #stevejobs for years of innovative design. Something few companies embrace. You are greatly admired. (Typed on my Macbook)" was one typical tweet, by Matt Grube, while Caitlyn Pardue, of New York, was even more succinct: "#stevejobs You are inspirational! #genius".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/seealso/2011/08/steve_jobs_resigns_online_reac.html
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Beaf: 4:16am On Aug 25, 2011
Sad. The Worlds number 1 tech evangelist has resigned. Lets pray his health holds out.
Apple stocks have fallen sharply on the news.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Nobody: 4:58am On Aug 25, 2011
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Fayimora(m): 5:36am On Aug 25, 2011
Yeah, small head is now the Chairman. Its everywhere on techcrunch
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by amor4ce(m): 7:31am On Aug 25, 2011
As someone commented on HuffPost, "He's the Apple of my I".

Once you go mac you don't go back. I haven't looked back since.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by whoelse(m): 9:06am On Aug 25, 2011
amor4ce:

Lol @bolded. Thats some serious talk there.

Steve Jobs was a phenomenon, no doubt.
But, I hope they'll sustain their tempo without him though. There's just too much heat right now.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Afam4eva(m): 11:52am On Aug 25, 2011
omo_to_dun:

I read it few hours ago on huffingtonpost. I hope the decision wasn't based on his health, but I highly doubt it. Although I do not use any of Apple's products, I completely adore and admire the discipline, intelligence, tenacity, leadership, and resilience of Mr. Jobs. His story is one that is not only well known in the geek community, but also amongst diehard Apple fanboys and fangirls and almost every person who is computer literate, a story that sees a man rise, fall, and rise even to greater heights. One Big GBOSA to Mr. Jobs, I salute.

Obviously, he stepped down as the chief executive due to his health.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by maxtum(m): 11:55am On Aug 25, 2011
shocked sad!! so sad!!!
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by buzugee(m): 12:05pm On Aug 25, 2011
for fear of sounding ignorant, what exactly does he do ? why is he so regarded ? is he like some  software developer genius ? like what does he do for example ? i know he is the ceo and all but dont ceos just sit on their fat Behind and delegate while collecting the fat checks ?
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by damola1: 12:16pm On Aug 25, 2011
Topic not supposed to be under programming section, maybe business or computer, and there's already an existing topic like this there, He's not a programmer, he's the world's #1 CEO, of a tech company,
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by cicero(m): 12:19pm On Aug 25, 2011
amor4ce:

Did you hear me say that? Thought I had it until I got me a macbookpro, now I see every other laptop as leapfrog product for toddlers.
Sad he is leaving but it won't affect Apple.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Nobody: 12:25pm On Aug 25, 2011
Jobu pele o
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Yinkay: 12:25pm On Aug 25, 2011
Apple will continue to survive because it is a thinking and innovative company,He has laid the foundation Tom Cook will fit in effortlessly. Imagine a coy with sales revenue in 3rd quarter of $28.5billion,almost foreign reserve balance of Nigeria generated from ideas!
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by gentleoyink: 12:28pm On Aug 25, 2011
@buzugee google this 'steve jobs commencement speech at stanford university 2005 youtube'
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by marcus1234: 12:32pm On Aug 25, 2011
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by folahann(m): 12:45pm On Aug 25, 2011
This story made it to the front page very late. angry

Well done Mr Apple, go and relax.
Disease no they look person face o
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Afam4eva(m): 12:48pm On Aug 25, 2011
folahann:

This story made it to the front page very late. angry

Well done Mr Apple, go and relax.
Disease no they look person face o

That seems to be the only thing in this world that doesn't discriminate.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Thatdave(m): 1:05pm On Aug 25, 2011
buzugee:

for fear of sounding ignorant, what exactly does he do ? why is he so regarded ? is he like some  software developer genius ? like what does he do for example ? i know he is the ceo and all but dont ceos just sit on their fat Behind and delegate while collecting the fat checks ?
buzugee:

he actually started the company with a friend who had quit a longtime ago due to ill health.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by islamrules(m): 1:12pm On Aug 25, 2011
He is still there for them. He is the chairman now!
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by hustla(m): 1:23pm On Aug 25, 2011
I knew he'd resign, used 3G iPhone, completely sweet device, pls Jobs gimme 4g before u go naw, and ma lawd, ie been dying to get an iMac or macBook pro,

and to tht guy tht said their stocks r down,na complete lie, stl saw its gradual rise from 1991 til date on CNN dis a.m so pls stp spreading BS
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by buzugee(m): 1:24pm On Aug 25, 2011
gentleoyink:

@buzugee google this 'steve jobs commencement speech at stanford university 2005 youtube'
Thatdave:

he actually started the company with a friend who had quit a longtime ago due to ill health.
thanks guys. i appreciate you.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by IbroSaunks(m): 2:23pm On Aug 25, 2011
Apple shares dropped like 17% immediately, shocked

anyways, he was awesome, though i couldn't afford any of his products sha, so im not that touchy about the whole thing, embarassed
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by joudini(m): 2:40pm On Aug 25, 2011
The iCEO is finally leaving the scene. A great manager and marketer, no doubt. . .but behind the spotlight was a recluse programmer, the other Steve. . .Steve Wozniak.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 25, 2011
I read somewhere that Apple is about to roll out cheap iphones in China. I couldn't find out the reason why they are made cheap.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by IbroSaunks(m): 2:56pm On Aug 25, 2011
omo see as peeps they hail this guy, me sef fit go start my own ohh,

i go name am agbalumo!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by folahann(m): 3:13pm On Aug 25, 2011
afam4eva:

That seems to be the only thing in this world that doesn't discriminate.
NO be the only thing, disease and death
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by delicious1(m): 3:40pm On Aug 25, 2011
Good and innovative man.
Wish him all the best health-wise.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by farouqzaib: 3:57pm On Aug 25, 2011
@IbroSaunks, u r crazy right? Big GBOSA to Jobs.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 25, 2011
I hope he is not about to die.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Remii(m): 8:21pm On Aug 25, 2011
iSad and iQuit releasesd at the same time.

May you enjoy the rest ot you life though. All the best, Steve
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by playmode(m): 10:05pm On Aug 25, 2011
Who cares? Dude ruined a lot of competing companies along the way.He was arrogant and played dirty,initiating a lot of law suits and using spies to steal competitor's secrets.He is responsible for the death of HP.Those who knew the real jobs knew he was a dirty coniving f8ck ,whose mission was to dominate and crush all competitors no matter what the cost.

He recently got a court to ban samsung from selling the galaxy tab in one part of the world.What do you call that? A desperate c8nt! The Ipad is over hyped anyways ,there are tons of tablets that are more affordable,more efficient and less hyped.The patron saint of perfectionists my azz,only applebots or apple fan boys give a damn about this dude.I don't see anything special about their product because they are overpriced and overhyped.Apple and their customers are like a cult,people don't like apple because their products are great but because they worship the label and jobs.
Re: Steve Jobs Resigns As Apple Boss by Nobody: 10:11pm On Aug 25, 2011
^^^
At least you know he is a superb marketer of crap

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too / New To Python, Gurus Please Help Solve These Challenges. Thanks. / Phpsocket.io-Real-time Chat Engine With HTML & Android Client Support [Updated]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.