Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords (6146 Views)

Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords / 5 Bedroom + 2room Bq For Rent @ Stillwaters Estate, Lekki - 12 Months Rent / 5 Bedroom + 2room Bq For Rent @ Stillwaters Estate, Lekki - 12 Months Rent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by tpcom1(m): 3:36pm On Aug 25, 2011
Guys, please do be carried away by the "I must condemn govt" by force syndrome just becasue in the past nothin govt has done has benefited majority of us.

I for one welcome the move, how the govt implement is will determine their level of sincerity. It will be of benefit if people can pay rent as Fashola has said because if the thruth be told, it is criminal to be asked for 2 yrs or more rent in advance, where are pple expected to get it from other than to go and beg / borrow / steal , this is what leads to corruption in Nigeria when we are forced to pay mponey we have not even earned yet.

what if you change your mind and want to vacate before the expiration of your tenancy? will the landlord willingly refund your balance or play games until he / she finds a new tenant,
Let's be honset with ourselves, this would reduce the burden of loans people beg employers for years for a sum they will need to beg for again in a few yrs.

Besides in developed countries, rent is charged monthly, only in Nigeria have we no sympathy for our fellow human beings. I believe if you can afford one year pay, if not pay 6 months, "the bible teaches us to love our neighbours, not exploit them".
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by nyxus(m): 3:39pm On Aug 25, 2011
grin more rooms should be added to kirikiri prison as fashola doesn't joke, Landlordzzz what goes around comes around
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by Daminton: 4:05pm On Aug 25, 2011
Honestly,i dont have any objection to govermt laws provided its done for the beterment of all the citizenry. but to me,this new one favours the tenant 95% than the landlord, but the landlords should'nt be bothered at all about it. time will definitely tell.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by moremi2008(m): 4:08pm On Aug 25, 2011
This is just populist window-dressing. As long as affordable housing remains a scarce commodity in Lagos and as long as there isn't a hassle-free Lanlord-Tenant court, landlords will continue to do as they please. I have heard horror stories of tenants refusing to pay rent for years because there of a pending court case. That's why many landlords require upfront payment. It's their house, and it's their right.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by mrofficial(m): 4:51pm On Aug 25, 2011
Good! I'm going to look for a scapegoat. I'll be right back. grin
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by Daminton: 5:12pm On Aug 25, 2011
You are right my honourable, where are those rules and law placed on okada riders not to ply express and the helment issue? iam waiting to see such laws beign enforsed on our roads.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by babeface3: 6:06pm On Aug 25, 2011
This law is babaric in some respect. In free market economy like ours, simple economics has it that the rules of demand and supply apply. When there is a shortage in supply, government comes in to augment supply in order to ease the suffering of the people. Even where there is excess supply, government still comes in to buy the surplus to maintain an equilibrum.

Telling a man in a free enterprise how (much) he should sell his items is absolutely babaric and devoid of sound legal reasoning. The best government can do in this circumstance is build more low cost housing to force down the demand on the houses owned by the shylock landlords. Many civilised cities of the world have smaller land mass than Lagos and yet more populated. How do the authorities plan accomodation?

There are "vast lands" lying fallow at the outskirts of Lagos. The State Government can either buy these lands or invoke the provision of the relevant statutes on compulsory acquisition. Low cost houses for the average people can be built there and adequate security and transport system provided in and out of Lagos.

Many people will like to live here and this will automatically decongest the city and curb the excesses of the shylock landlords. This is the platform on which many civilised cities including London stands.

Have you passed a law to ask the likes of Dangote to cut down the price of cement, at least the country has made him so rich.

Let me not believe that there is a problem with the leaders in Africa. I had always taken Fashola as an exception to the caliber of leaders Africa has produced after withnessing his speach at the 2009 NBA Conference in Lagos. I am surprise that he did not see the lacunae in this law as a legal luminary.

I have no property in Nigeria but I have to state here that I am willing to challenge this law in any court of Law in the country.

Lagos is gasping for breathe and they should find a better way of decongesting the city.

Government will not perform their roles, they only resort to passage of ineffectual laws.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by spyder880(m): 6:15pm On Aug 25, 2011
This law has a lot of "BACKFIRE" witten all over it, and the tenants may be pushed into more suffering. Let's hope I am wrong.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by JUO(m): 6:34pm On Aug 25, 2011
good work
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by ochukoccna: 7:49pm On Aug 25, 2011
We dey sidon look
Even the no commercial Okadas on highways policy is yet to take off.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by dacool1(m): 8:14pm On Aug 25, 2011
He must be kidding. I pity tenants that are smiling and rejoicing. On your own. Firstly, the law didn't say i can't increase my rent neither did it say i can't evict u. Lagosians don't think. For instance Is it not better to pay 400,000 for two years than to pay same amount for 6months.
All the landlords have to do is create an artificial scarcity, people will be willing to pay any sum for tne few available ones. Landlords will simply get six months rent from you and the following day\week serve u a quit notice for any good reason at the expiration of your rent u will have to quit the house. What will happen is simple its either u agree with ur landlord to pay him annual rent or pay him the same value for six months. The law will only worsen the situation of things.
I bet landlords will commence serving of quit notice to tenants from next month. Lets see who bears the burden. Its either u agree with ur landlord to pay him annual rent or pay him the same value for six months. The law will only worsen the situation of things.
I bet landlords will commence serving of quit notice to tenants from next month. Lets see who bears the burden.
Senseless lawmakers. Mthew
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by hedrez: 10:28pm On Aug 25, 2011
Fashola!!!. is not a bad idea but there is going to be consequence.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by jerryben12: 10:43pm On Aug 25, 2011
Fashola is an ! He is a big fool! What is his business with landlords? He should go peg the price of cement and other building materials. This Fashola guy is only trying to push tenants away from Lagos because Landlords will increase rents before admitting new tenants. This fashola guy will spend all of tax payers money in paying state judges and lawyer fighting tenant/landlord cases.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by Cypost: 11:15pm On Aug 25, 2011
How does this law protect the Landlord and his investment? Bearing in mind dt some tenants are 'tenants from hell' who will come with all manner of excuses to deny the landlord of his rent, some will even remind you that house was build 100yrs ago so it should free.

Another take on the law, if u paid 400k per year b4 and now your landlord said is 300k for 6months which will you prefer,

to me the law makes no sense and will resemble the law banning okada in IV when no meaningful alternative was provided.

Another take on the law, if u paid 400k per year b4 and now your landlord said is 300k for 6months which will you prefer,

to me the law makes no sense and will resemble the law banning okada in IV esemble the law banning okada in IV
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by lastpage: 11:56pm On Aug 25, 2011
I was thinking of a block of 4flats with 3bedrooms each, for TENANTS.

Now, l'll changed my mind: Just build meself a nice looking four-bed duplex with a large and well flowered compound!!
NO MORE TENANTS! shocked shocked grin

Let Fashola be building "For-rent" houses, not me anymore! wink

I think thats what is going on in the head of prospective Landlords now!
Where does that leave "Demand and Supply of rentable houses?

I dey come.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by bfire(m): 12:18am On Aug 26, 2011
Is it not greed that's making most of us collect more than month to month rent or probably financial mismanagement.

Whether you collect month to month or 1month and another month for deposit it amounts to same 2yrs rent. The problem is most of the landlord lack financial discipline not that they are really investing in real estate rather they marry more wiffy or get a chiefee title.

These houses we build will at least last for 30yrs unless you build 'manage' stuff. Try to create a separate account for your real estate and you'll be surprise how the money will grow.

Please, respect the law of the state. If you don't you are as bad as the politicians you call rogues, corrupt, evil etc.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by harakiri(m): 5:17am On Aug 26, 2011
Human beings are so myopic. Look at how the are jumping up and down as if they won jackpot. This is the same Fashola who's land (next to Tinubu) is going for N70 million per plot! Why doesn't he attack the wood,iron and cement sellers? He wants to please the gullible masses (perhaps he's seeking third term re-election).
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by ogbongzky(m): 7:51am On Aug 26, 2011
mr.official:

Good! I'm going to look for a scapegoat. I'll be right back. grin

u beta take it easy wt dos landlords. Some of them are not ordinary human beings ooo
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by hotcake: 8:48am On Aug 26, 2011
We definitely need a copy of this new law on this forum.  Anybody who has it should please publish it
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by kukulaja: 12:40pm On Aug 26, 2011
fashola, you've done well, you've done just only this one for the masses that voted for you, if no anyother good things at least this one act compensate for our votes and i personnally thank you on behalf of the oppressed poor masses living in lagos state. wishing you more success, smiley
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by tayoTFC(m): 2:08pm On Aug 26, 2011
This will not work in an everoment like lagos with the highest population in nigeria,
reasons.
1. there is no alternative housing to compete with individual landlord
2. ppl borrow money at high interest rate to build house now and they want to recoup or breakeven atleast withing the short period given by bank
3.how many existing tenant is ready to report his/her landloard to fashola.
4. the house rent will definately increase as a result of the law.i.e if am collecting 3k per room for 2yrs then i will increase it to 4k for 6month since fashola can not determing my house rent for me he can just make the law.
5. masses will have to treck from one street to another to check house vacancy if there is no estate agency anymore, i.e how many ppl are ready to leave there work to start looking for house to house vacancy.
6. it is possible that the tenant will voluntary agree to pay for 2yr and land loard will be issuing receipt for tenant every 6 month. did fashola has asses to every tenant receipt.
finaly , what fashola need to do is to build single room /room and parlour in an open land say ikorodu,epe,imowe, ibafo,ogijo etc am make it 1000k per month to compete with the landlord.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by bfire(m): 3:19pm On Aug 26, 2011
^^^
You have a good point. The problem is the law of the state should work if the government want it to work.

Let me ask some of you questions.

How many of you pay 2yrs in advance to PHCH

How many of you pay your govt fees in advance for 2yrs

How many of you pay your workers for 2yrs

How many of you pay your community fees in advance for 2yrs
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by spyder880(m): 4:10pm On Aug 26, 2011
If the govt want an advance payment, they should say so and stop running around in circles. Who will even be brave enough to pay PHCN for one month in advance when you know your transformer will blow in a week's time!
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by lastpage: 5:43pm On Aug 26, 2011
^^^^ grin grin grin grin shocked
LKWMD! PHCN don see fire from Spider, dis time!

The greatest thing that can happen to electricity in Nigeria, in general, is if those PHCN peeps are prevented form hiding the Pre-Paid Meters!
Or maybe Govt should make a law that allows every one to buy the Meter off-the-shelf and le PHCN staff configure it for the rate of service.

They just dont want people to have that Meter, it ruined "business" for them, big time!
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by bfire(m): 9:15pm On Aug 26, 2011
@Sppyder
na wa ooo, phcn is like some of the landlords, you know that.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by keba(m): 10:19am On Aug 27, 2011
spyder880:

This law has a lot of "BACKFIRE" witten all over it, and the tenants may be pushed into more suffering. Let's hope I am wrong.

Spyder has said it all and i totally agree with him, only time will tell.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by Daminton: 5:53pm On Aug 29, 2011
Iam tired sef, look if this regime is serious about alleviating the suffering of the masses in the area of housing,let them follow the footsteps of Alhaji Jakande. The masses will appreciate this more than a tenancy law with one sided coin. Jakande's low cost housing estate can still be seen all over lagos till date.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by harakiri(m): 12:21pm On Aug 30, 2011
dacool1:

He must be kidding. I pity tenants that are smiling and rejoicing. On your own. Firstly, the law didn't say i can't increase my rent neither did it say i can't evict u. Lagosians don't think. For instance Is it not better to pay 400,000 for two years than to pay same amount for 6months.
All the landlords have to do is create an artificial scarcity, people will be willing to pay any sum for tne few available ones. Landlords will simply get six months rent from you and the following day\week serve u a quit notice for any good reason at the expiration of your rent u will have to quit the house. What will happen is simple its either u agree with your landlord to pay him annual rent or pay him the same value for six months. The law will only worsen the situation of things.
I bet landlords will commence serving of quit notice to tenants from next month. Lets see who bears the burden. Its either u agree with your landlord to pay him annual rent or pay him the same value for six months. The law will only worsen the situation of things.
I bet landlords will commence serving of quit notice to tenants from next month. Lets see who bears the burden.
Senseless lawmakers. Mthew

It's always good to see there are still a few people with good heads on their shoulders. A lot of the people commenting negatively about landlords probably don't know what it takes to buy a good plot of land in Lagos (not in the bush ooo), talk less of building. All they know is that landlords are demons from hell who want to "eat" their money.
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by harakiri(m): 12:26pm On Aug 30, 2011
lastpage:

I was thinking of a block of 4flats with 3bedrooms each, for TENANTS.

Now, l'll changed my mind: Just build meself a nice looking four-bed duplex with a large and well flowered compound!!
NO MORE TENANTS! shocked shocked grin

Let Fashola be building "For-rent" houses, not me anymore! wink

I think thats what is going on in the head of prospective Landlords now!
Where does that leave "Demand and Supply of rentable houses?

I dey come.

Actually, I'm also thinking the same thing but i can opt out to put up commercial property such as a shopping plaza (where the tenants are actually making money i can see) rather than residential property whereby tenants act like saints when they need your property but after the initial payment, they start viewing you as an enemy who doesn't want their progress, they look for one excuse or the other not to pay their rent e.g they haven't collected salary, their container is on the high sea and hasn't landed, their uncle just died and they have used all the money with them for burial, they just got married and the money is gone, they got duped by 419, Fashola has destroyed their shops, they got sacked at the office, they are not feeling well. . .bla bla bla. Na wetin person neva hia before!
Re: Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords by lastpage: 11:36pm On Aug 30, 2011
^^^That is exactly where l find these "Housing Statutes" hypocritical!
In the Western world that we seek to emulate, juts try and owe your landlord one month rent and see wetin go happen! shocked wink

First, he will use your "deposit" to defray the immediate/current month's debt while the "District court" is ready to seat on a SUNDAY, to grant him the "right of re-possession" of his property.

They would ensure that you dont put the landlord's mortgage repayment in jeopardy!
That is what l call responsible and balanced governance, not this "playing to the gallery" stuff of Fashola!

We must also put it into context that such foreign/Western governments also have "Social Housing" schemes for their citizens!
Now, that is what l call caring and responsive governance, not one that destroys the Akara-sellers kiosk, not caring whether she eats or die!

Our political leaders are just too wicked and selfish, at times clueless, for my liking! Yet we are so-blessed as a country?

Just to build "Room and Parlour" full ground for low income earners @reasonable rates, is impossible for Fashola but he can enact law on what private individuals labored to build?

Something is wrong somewhere, with our erstwhile "fine Governor"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cheap Beautiful Wrought Iron Gates For Sale / Luxury And Affordable House Plans Designs In Nigeria / How Steel Stanchion For 20000 Water Tank Was Assembled Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.